ADVERTISEMENT

Are we witnessing the beginning of the end of the country created by our founding fathers?

America is in decline, no doubt. This is what happens historically with huge empires.

They eventually go down.

I hope we can end up like Italy. The Roman Empire crumbled but they seem to be doing OK.

Reactions: NoleATL
In my opinion Europe started on this path before us and we are trying our best to catch up. Without sounding like a raving lunatic, it comes I’m down to Godlessness.
To a large extent I agree with you, but there have also been tremendous areas of improvement that have coincided with America’s steady descent into secularism.

I would add the advent of TV evangelism also corrupted religion in this country, providing us the leaven of the Pharisees. As Jesus quoted the prophet Isaiah, and I’ll paraphrase: “Many Americans honor God with their mouths, but their hearts are far from Him.”

Reactions: fsu1jreed
To a large extent I agree with you, but there have also been tremendous areas of improvement that have coincided with America’s steady descent into secularism.

I would add the advent of TV evangelism also corrupted religion in this country, providing us the leaven of the Pharisees. As Jesus quoted the prophet Isaiah, and I’ll paraphrase: “Many Americans honor God with their mouths, but their hearts are far from Him.”
Yep for profit Jesus is a lot of the GOP nutjobs whys.

I don’t disagree with TV evangelism, at least it appears that more often than not they’re dirty.

Reactions: BlackNGoldBleeder

I agree with him, too.

As Christianity declines, selfishness and narcissism rise. Our culture only spotlights the bad people in churches even though there are tons of good people in them, too.

America is a culture of individualism without any sort of morality besides the American dream, which means making money.

When humans reject religion, the human heart goes elsewhere like politics. You see so many secular people become extremely political. It's like a religion to them.

I'm sure many will disagree with me. That's OK. My job is to inform, not convince. :)

I agree with him, too.

As Christianity declines, selfishness and narcissism rise. Our culture only spotlights the bad people in churches even though there are tons of good people in them, too.

America is a culture of individualism without any sort of morality besides the American dream, which means making money.

When humans reject religion, the human heart goes elsewhere like politics. You see so many secular people become extremely political. It's like a religion to them.

I'm sure many will disagree with me. That's OK. My job is to inform, not convince. :)
Yes, it's clearly atheists fault that one of the leading christian movements in the US is the prosperity gospel.

Right, which the South has used throughout its ignominious history as justification for the persecution and injustice it has inflicted on many of its people. Salient point.
The failure of the constitution to protect basic rights for ALL Americans was certainly one of the document's biggest failures. However, the 13th, 14th, and 15th amendments were at least a start to reverse that. IMO, it's always an ongoing process. That's why the constitution is such a great document; it's flexible enough to evolve with the times yet it's basic premise in protecting fundamental rights is unwavering.

Yes, it's clearly atheists fault that one of the leading christian movements in the US is the prosperity gospel.

I didn't say that.

The prosperity gospel is a minority among Christianity in America yet it's highlighted as the norm.

We've entered into a post-Christian culture. Be careful what you wish for.

I agree with him, too.

This post kind of reminds me of the episode of South Park where all religion is renounced. The the atheists split off into two factions and start a civil war. Humans will always find something to fight over.

This post kind of reminds me of the episode of South Park where all religion is renounced. The the atheists split off into two factions and start a civil war. Humans will always find something to fight over.

Ah. I missed that one.

As much as American culture dislikes Christianity, it's just a fact that churches do tons of charity work in the United States. And weekly Church goers give more to charity than secular people do.

• People who are religiously affiliated are more likely to make a charitable donation of any kind, whether to a religious congregation or to another type of charitable organization. Sixty-two percent of religious households give to charity of any kind, compared with 46 percent of households with no religious affiliation.

Lol, never know which way you are going to swing on a topic.

But, yeah ... how so?
I love being unpredictable. 😊

And I wrote that because you are not a stupid person, but that explanation was so steeped in rectal cranial inversion that Chief Tushyscratch and his ilk are blushing.

Think about what you wrote. “People hate what this country once was, applaud the reversal of gross injustices that have occurred throughout this country’s history, and don’t want to see this country return to its roots.” Does that make any sort of sense to you in the way of a rebuttal?

I believe what you were trying to express is many modern-day liberals voice anti-American sentiments yet say they don’t want the country to go to hell.

I didn't say that.

The prosperity gospel is a minority among Christianity in America yet it's highlighted as the norm.

We've entered into a post-Christian culture. Be careful what you wish for.
What I wish is that you were right.

I love being unpredictable. 😊

And I wrote that because you are not a stupid person, but that explanation was so steeped in rectal cranial inversion that Chief Tushyscratch and his ilk are blushing.

Think about what you wrote. “People hate what this country once was, applaud the reversal of gross injustices that have occurred throughout this country’s history, and don’t want to see this country return to its roots.” Does that make any sort of sense to you in the way of a rebuttal?

I believe what you were trying to express is many modern-day liberals voice anti-American sentiments yet say they don’t want the country to go to hell.
Please show your work.

I agree with him, too.

Do you agree with the type of Christianity that has espoused itself to the MAGA movement? Because I can provide you all kinds of Biblical evidence to repudiate that notion beyond a reasonable doubt.

Reactions: HawkFan1298
Do you agree with the type of Christianity that has espoused itself to the MAGA movement? Because I can provide you all kinds of Biblical evidence to repudiate that notion beyond a reasonable doubt.

No, of course not.

I don't think that's the majority of Christianity in America today but I could be wrong since so many people are abandoning churches.

No, of course not.

I don't think that's the majority of Christianity in America today but I could be wrong since so many people are abandoning churches.
The polls don’t reflect that. At least the ones I’ve seen. A large percentage of people identifying as active Christians say they support Donald Trump. There is obviously some nuance to that, but it’s a pretty good gauge of where things stand in contemporary Christianity in America.

The polls don’t reflect that. At least the ones I’ve seen. A large percentage of people identifying as active Christians say they support Donald Trump. There is obviously some nuance to that, but it’s a pretty good gauge of where things stand in contemporary Christianity in America.

I think it's because the liberal mainline churches are shedding members.

The more traditional churches are growing or holding steady. And those are people that are less likely to be accepting of the Democratic Party platform like abortion, gay marriage, transgenderism, etc.

But churches aren't or shouldn't be political organizations. The point is to worship God, not a politician.

No, of course not.

59% of people who attend church once a month or more voted for Trump.
71% of white people who attend church once a month or more voted for Trump

59% of people who attend church once a month or more voted for Trump.
71% of white people who attend church once a month or more voted for Trump

That's not the prosperity Gospel.

Trump is old and won't be running again, I hope. It'd be nice to move on from him.

Reactions: DooBii

There may be reasons much like myself why they vote for a certain candidate. Not necessarily because they “eat up” everything that particular candidate says/does. In my experience just from talking to lots of folks (at least more critical thinking ones) usually have only a few real issues that are near and dear to their heart. Whichever candidate agrees with those issues or at least pays lip service to those issues are ones that those people will vote for.

Reactions: HawkFan1298
The Weather Underground says hold my TNT..
If you had the majority of the Democratic party openly supporting and indulging the Weather Underground, then you would have a point. The Weather Underground was a fringe radical group. Based on the behavior of the vast majority of elected Republicans, they consider the 1/6ers to be an indispensable part of their base.

There may be reasons much like myself why they vote for a certain candidate. Not necessarily because they “eat up” everything that particular candidate says/does. In my experience just from talking to lots of folks (at least more critical thinking ones) usually have only a few real issues that are near and dear to their heart. Whichever candidate agrees with those issues or at least pays lip service to those issues are ones that those people will vote for.
That’s not critical thinking. Quite the opposite.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT