ADVERTISEMENT

Are you disappointed in family members who are Trump voters?

Thanks and I completely understand your logic. Most of the Republicans I know are more voting against the other party rather than supporting Trump. Many think he is an idiot, but they don’t like the alternative.

I can grasp that and assume it to be the case most of the time.

Trump is just a different breed of cat. A cat that has now been selected three times.

Harming or subverting normal democratic processes (like elections)
Lowering the level of rational political discourse in the country
Turning millions of Americans into conspiracy theorists

Like JD Vance said... cultural heroin.

(that's just a few high level things)

You don’t think that elections have been subverted in the past (not referring to 2020)?

Political discourse has always been a struggle throughout the entire world. It just keeps lowering itself over time.

Millions of Americans were already conspiracy theorist. Landing on the moon, Area51, Denver Airport, Elvis is alive, Kennedy Assassination, birds are actually spy cameras. And many more.

He really hasn’t changed anything. Maybe taken the verbal discourse to a new low in some areas which I really don’t care for. But he’s nothing that we have not seen before

My extended family are all pretty educated so only a couple will vote for Trump. My bro is a old school Republican but will not vote for Trump.
My sisters all dislike Trump.
We do not get political at gatherings.

I love my family.

What do you mean by “pretty educated”? Are you talking educated in the classic sense?
College degree type thing?

Or are you referring to educated politically?

The transitive property should only matter in math.

I do not care one iota who anyone in my family votes for. I don’t care who anyone votes for. What matters, the only thing that matters, is how they treat other people. That’s it.

The fact that so many have thrown the baby out with the bathwater is sad, pathetic, and unfortunately not surprising. And blaming it on Trump being “divisive” is weak as hell. That’s a personal choice that nobody is making you take.

I only have 1 so far that I'm aware of and he's a hard core Republican so it's not all that surprising. He also still tosses out racial jokes and epithets. He's also my older brother, and I only have one of those, so what are you going to do? 🤷‍♂️ My wife's family has a brother and his family who are hard-core as well.

I also have good friends that I know are voting for him. We don't talk about politics if we can avoid it. I only have so many of those to go around also.

What do you mean by “pretty educated”? Are you talking educated in the classic sense?
College degree type thing?

Or are you referring to educated politically?
16 niece's and nephews all with undergrad degrees, 14 with grad degrees..my children and ex college degrees. 4 siblings with grad degrees..all spouses cept 1 with college degrees.
Education was stressed by my farmer parents ...my mom was super-smart( valvictorian of her senior class at 16) but could not attend college due to lack of family resources during depression/war years and my dad was in combat from 42-45. Both felt they missed out and were determined their kids would get that opportunity.

I was raised in a Union household and family. All 8 of my uncles, grandfather were strong Union Dems members and the only time i heard politics mentioned was election time. Election days argument was which club they would meet after voting, bars closed but not the social clubs,

I can’t believe the people who raised me and who I grew up with are Trump supporters.

I will always love them but I just don’t get it.
I’m just the opposite…disappointed in my family members who are Biden/Harris voters. However, a couple of them are teachers who live in a liberal state, so the teacher’s union has turned them into robots. 😜

16 niece's and nephews all with undergrad degrees, 14 with grad degrees..my children and ex college degrees. 4 siblings with grad degrees..all spouses cept 1 with college degrees.
Education was stressed by my farmer parents ...my mom was super-smart( valvictorian of her senior class at 16) but could not attend college due to lack of family resources during depression/war years and my dad was in combat from 42-45. Both felt they missed out and were determined their kids would get that opportunity.

I think there are many Trump supporters who would have similar educational experiences.

I appreciate your response. I think sometimes we forget that the lack of a college degree does not automatically mean someone is dumb. They might not have the 4+ year college degree but they can do things I would never be able to do.

I would venture to guess the vast majority of Trump voters where I live are highly educated people. Those that don’t have the college degrees are highly successful farmers.

I think there are many Trump supporters who would have similar educational experiences.

I appreciate your response. I think sometimes we forget that the lack of a college degree does not automatically mean someone is dumb. They might not have the 4+ year college degree but they can do things I would never be able to do.

I would venture to guess the vast majority of Trump voters where I live are highly educated people. Those that don’t have the college degrees are highly successful farmers.
I did not mean to imply that non-college folks are dumb.
But I think Trump does not get the majority of degreed voters.
His base is as he put it " I love the poorly educated"...

Now wealthy business owners do tend to support GOP.
Farmers also.
In the old days the college folks were heavily GOP...not so much now but it could be more anti-trump than pro- dem.

Reactions: MitchLL and WSC72
Night of January 6th, I finally blew up and voiced my opinion on Donald Trump on my FB page (I know old guy alert!).

I knew certain older family members were going to jump on my case and they did, but I kept my discourse civil and factual.

Similar aged cousins and friends were kinda split, but I had a lotta of 'likes' from people I would've never thought would agree with me, and then you had my younger nieces and nephews and kids friends all loved my rant and wanted to share it. Pretty much like you expect along the age lines.

When my family gets together we generally don't talk politics - they know where I stand and I know where they stand.

I'm a Reagan Republican without a political home these days and it's perfectly all right with me, I know the president of the United States means nothing to my pursuit of happiness
This is exactly why I’m not a Facebook member. I don’t care what other’s opinions are…they are like assholes…everyone has one.

Reactions: WSC72

Farmers also.
In the old days the college folks were heavily GOP...not so much now but it could be more anti-trump than pro- dem

Thanks. I hear that phrase so often and I think it tends to solidify the Trump base, somewhat like Hillary calling 50% of the population deplorable. Those phrases just seem so condescending to me.

I have appreciated the mostly cordial discussion in this thread.

Trump appealed to low education voters that were envious of those that finished high school or have college degrees.

He tapped into a voting bloc that is taught to hate those with better lives.

It really is that simple.
The only thing “simple” about this post is you. Yeesh, be better

Farmers also.
In the old days the college folks were heavily GOP...not so much now but it could be more anti-trump than pro- dem.
This is part of the problem that I have with many Dems…they try to put people into boxes based on race, or gender, or education etc to define a block of voters. However, human beings are individuals with their own thoughts, feelings, and motivations.

I honestly don't know my close family's political affiliations. I was raised that voting is an intimate, personal decision, and rude to ask who you are voting for. If our get-togethers boil down to political discussions, I know the party has turned to hell in a hand basket.

And to add to that, I have my suspicions on who lies where, but the wide and far range of personalities, thought, life experiences are what makes it such a great, great time. The camaderie when we finally get together is so sincere and heartfelt, that the thought of ruining it wih mundane politics is laughable.

The transitive property should only matter in math.

I do not care one iota who anyone in my family votes for. I don’t care who anyone votes for. What matters, the only thing that matters, is how they treat other people. That’s it.

The fact that so many have thrown the baby out with the bathwater is sad, pathetic, and unfortunately not surprising. And blaming it on Trump being “divisive” is weak as hell. That’s a personal choice that nobody is making you take.

You gotta admit that's pretty funny in light of your choice of handle.

I honestly don't know my close family's political affiliations. I was raised that voting is an intimate, personal decision, and rude to ask who you are voting for. If our get-togethers boil down to political discussions, I know the party has turned to hell in a hand basket.

And to add to that, I have my suspicions on who lies where, but the wide and far range of personalities, thought, life experiences are what makes it such a great, great time. The camaderie when we finally get together is so sincere and heartfelt, that the thought of ruining it wih mundane politics is laughable.
We don’t ask either but they always bring it up. As an example tonight, my mother-in-law told my wife (unsolicited) that she was so happy to be out putting up Trump yard signs today. And that she was so glad God saved Trump at the rally a couple weeks ago.
What do you do with that?

For the people who say family before politics: is there a limit?

If your family member is a neo Nazi, is that excused as just merely politics? If your family member is all in on a child predator operating out of a pizza parlor, is that merely politics?

Is there anything that isn't just politics, but actually indicative of their character and thus their worthiness of your interest?

We don’t ask either but they always bring it up. As an example tonight, my mother-in-law told my wife (unsolicited) that she was so happy to be out putting up Trump yard signs today. And that she was so glad God saved Trump at the rally a couple weeks ago.
What do you do with that?

You let them believe what they want. How does it hurt you to just let them be.

As I asked earlier to another poster. Is she a good human being overall? Does she treat others well? That’s all that really matters.

• Haha
Reactions: RileyHawk
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT