ADVERTISEMENT

Are you disappointed in family members who are Trump voters?

We don’t ask either but they always bring it up. As an example tonight, my mother-in-law told my wife (unsolicited) that she was so happy to be out putting up Trump yard signs today. And that she was so glad God saved Trump at the rally a couple weeks ago.
What do you do with that?

You tell her that god gave Trump a shot across the bow as a warning?

Reactions: drew_hawk and WSC72
Why do you keep thinking we correct them? We don’t engage.

Makes me mad they’re so brainwashed.

Maybe I misread your post but I thought you stated something like what do you do with that?

I was responding to that part of the post.

You do realize they might think you are brainwashed too (if you support Democrats)

The actual Trump supporters in my family (not just republicans) are white trash and awful, hateful people. I did whatever I could to avoid them before Trump. Their Trumpiness just gives me more reason to avoid - couldn't care less if they're family. Trash is trash. So no, not disappointed.

Most of the basic repubs in my family don't like Trump and have either decided to abstain or hold their nose and pull the R handle. I respect the abstainers and am disappointed in the nose-holders.

For the people who say family before politics: is there a limit?

If your family member is a neo Nazi, is that excused as just merely politics? If your family member is all in on a child predator operating out of a pizza parlor, is that merely politics?

Is there anything that isn't just politics, but actually indicative of their character and thus their worthiness of your interest?
The only relatives I have who are Trumpers were asshats long before they were Trumpers.

i recently saw someone say that there is data that shows dems and reps have gradually but (now) completely moved apart on social media. this is way beyond merely political echo chambering — red and blue users apparently have no connectors at all on anything. basically like living in different countries, perhaps worse.
i don’t entirely believe this but i’ve seen the diagrams depicting the data
I’ve said for some time the worst part about the changing media/social media world is we no longer have a shared reality. People carve out their own reality based primarily on propaganda, misinformation, and disinformation. I know people for whom most of what they “know” isn’t true.

In answer to the OP, yes, I am disappointed in those family members. I’m also disappointed in my liberal family members who also fall for stuff that isn’t true. I guarantee some of them are certain Vance had sex with a couch.

I've disagreed with most of my family on politics for years, both that didn't really bother me. What's really jarring is their support of an obvious conman with no moral compass.
Trump's biggest attribute is that he is very good at being a conman. He is also good at playing to people's fears. I think many of his supporters are decent people and they are convinced that he is the answer to their (and this country's) problems. For the record, I am not a fan of either party and am pretty much disgusted by the whole political process.

We don’t ask either but they always bring it up. As an example tonight, my mother-in-law told my wife (unsolicited) that she was so happy to be out putting up Trump yard signs today. And that she was so glad God saved Trump at the rally a couple weeks ago.
What do you do with that?
It honestly depends on on the dynamics of the room or how many people are there. If it's a big party, just smirk and politely move on and get another plate or drink. If it's more intimate, like at dinner table, then just tell them directly and succinctly that you don't agree with them, but you still love them and are greatful to be with them, as you are family and that matters most. Then watch their reaction.

I’ve said for some time the worst part about the changing media/social media world is we no longer have a shared reality. People carve out their own reality based primarily on propaganda, misinformation, and disinformation. I know people for whom most of what they “know” isn’t true.

In answer to the OP, yes, I am disappointed in those family members. I’m also disappointed in my liberal family members who also fall for stuff that isn’t true. I guarantee some of them are certain Vance had sex with a couch.

Agreed, and as you know, plenty of liberals overdid it with covid precautions, not from the evidence but from a revulsion to Trump and his followers.

But that doesn't make the issue or phenomenon equal and opposite. What has happened to the GOP is much worse

Reactions: Greenway4Prez
For the people who say family before politics: is there a limit?

If your family member is a neo Nazi, is that excused as just merely politics? If your family member is all in on a child predator operating out of a pizza parlor, is that merely politics?

Is there anything that isn't just politics, but actually indicative of their character and thus their worthiness of your interest?
I’ve noticed that the bulk of the people wagging fingers in this thread are the people who support the rapist fraudster with 34 felony convictions who staged a coup.
Tsk, tsk for being so shallow as to question a family member who supports that.

It’s the packaging, the cultural issues that, to you may not be issues. Trans dudes in women’s sports, the border(though that’s a big issue), cutting the razor wire Texas installed, etc.

I think you're right, they get even more mad when they have to justify their issues. Why should they have to explain why they're fired up about some dude with issues who wins a high school girls cross country championship in a different state. That really bothers them.

It’s the packaging, the cultural issues that, to you may not be issues. Trans dudes in women’s sports, the border(though that’s a big issue), cutting the razor wire Texas installed, etc.
Nobody is forcing you to be trans. I keep telling you that.
I find it curious that given your profession you’ve been upset at people who question chiropractors, yet you obsessively deride medical doctors and their patients who are trans. Weird.

My family members who are rabidly pro Trump are the poors down in Louisa County who didn’t have the ambition to get better in life and make some money. Everything bad in their life is because of the tan suit guy and the DEI.

My family members who are rabidly pro Trump are the poors down in Louisa County who didn’t have the ambition to get better in life and make some money. Everything bad in their life is because of the tan suit guy and the DEI.
I find this kinda weird. You are negatively labeling them in front of strangers, presumably for pats on the back from strangers. Maybe they have problems, and rightfully so, but if they called in the middle of the night, asking for help? Would you answer the call? Or roll over and talk about it here with a smarmy smile?

I find this kinda weird. You are negatively labeling them in front of strangers, presumably for pats on the back from strangers. Maybe they have problems, and rightfully so, but if they called in the middle of the night, asking for help? Would you answer the call? Or roll over and talk about it here with a smarmy smile?

What if he's just accurately labeling them in front of strangers for the sake of discussion? Is that still weird? Do you think it's weird that you presumed that he's looking for pats on the back from strangers, presumably for your own pats on the back from strangers?

What if he's just accurately labeling them in front of strangers for the sake of discussion? Is that still weird? Do you think it's weird that you presumed that he's looking for pats on the back from strangers, presumably for your own pats on the back from strangers?
Yes. And on all counts.

Can we bro hug?

Sometimes it's as simple as that.

• Haha
Reactions: BrianNole777
My brother and a friend have both become extreme Trump supporters and believe every conspiracy created (Dems created Covid to get Trump out, creating George Floyd division, Soros and Black Rock control everything, Biden is a dictator, etc). It wouldn’t be so bad but they took what used to be a fun text group and Twitter group and turned them into all political stuff. I never initiate and have asked multiple times for them to leave me out of their political stuff but it’s constant. Always ranting about DEI and teachers and gays. They say there hadn’t been racism in the YS in 59 years except by the racist Dems. They have gotten mad and left the group but it always starts up again. They are convinced if Dems win the country is done and Trump has done nothing wrong but be a BSer, or he would be in jail. It has been slightly better as I ignore it all all the time now and that’s slowed it down. Have heard nothing since Trump’s implosion yesterday (they normally send every clip on Biden or Harris speaking or laughing they can find).

Not until this election. All friends and family get a hall pass for sure for 2016 and even 2020. It’s sometimes hard to admit or see you have made a mistake and politics has become team sports long before Trump.

However, post 1/6/21 and the complete dumpster fire of last 3 years of intentionally stealing and likely sharing state secrets, having to pay 10s of millions for sexual assault, indictments in three different jurisdictions for three different crimes and 34 felony convictions, I am defiantly disappointed in anyone voting for Trump in 2024. It is sad and very troubling and a huge red flag our fourth estate has collapsed and a giant chunk of Americans get their information from sources full of misinformation and disinformation.

Not disappointed at all because the only family members who are Trump supporters have already been well established as dumbass douchebags long before MAGA became a part of the American white trash lexicon.

I have no idea if any of my family are R's or D's. I could probably guess but that's all it would be and I may be wrong on a few. Pretty big family but I don't ever recall a political conversation in our family.

Also, that's why it's a free country baby. Vote for who ever the F you want to.

I can’t believe the people who raised me and who I grew up with are Trump supporters.

I will always love them but I just don’t get it.
I have zero immediate family members who will be voting for any democrat this election.
I realized how isolated i am yesterday when i went for my dl renewal. What a freak show. Looked like a pro choice rally.

Got some distant relatives on the no-pic wife's side of the family that are bat-sh*t crazy MAGA's, but they do quite a lot to bring disappointment regardless of who they vote for. My own gene pool isn't that shallow, so I don't have anything to worry about.

I have extended family that are. I realize they are morons for being Trumpers. I truly have 0 respect for anyone that supports that guy. Fortunately, none of my immediate family or close friends are Trumpers.
If someone's political choice causes you to have zero respect for someone, that's a YOU problem.

Life's too short, work on yourself.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT