ADVERTISEMENT

ARIZONA: Self-Driving Uber Car Kills Pedestrian

NoleATL

HR Legend
Gold Member
Jul 11, 2007
https://gizmodo.com/uber-self-driving-car-killed-arizona-woman-while-in-au-1823891032
Last night a woman was struck by an autonomous Uber vehicle in Tempe, Arizona. She later died of her injuries in the hospital.

The deadly collision—reported by ABC15 and later confirmed to Gizmodo by Uber and Tempe police—took place around 10PM at the intersection Mill Avenue and Curry Road, both of which are multi-lane roads. Autonomous vehicle developers often test drive at night, during storms, and other challenging conditions to help their vehicles learn to navigate in a variety of environments.

According to Tempe PD, the car was in autonomous mode at the time of the incident, with a vehicle operator sitting behind the wheel. The self-driving vehicle had one operator and no passengers, Uber said.

A police spokesperson added in a statement that the woman’s “next of kin has not been notified yet so her name is not being released at this time. Uber is assisting and this is still an active investigation.” The woman was crossing the street outside a crosswalk when she was hit, the spokesperson said.

The Uber crash is the first known fatal collision between a self-driving car and a pedestrian. A driver was killed in 2016 when his Tesla crashed into a truck while in Autopilot mode—the first known fatal crash involving a semi-autonomous vehicle. An investigation by the National Transportation Safety Board found that the driver was warned several times to keep his hands on the wheel before the Tesla crash.

The NTSB confirmed to Gizmodo that it is investigating Uber’s crash in Arizona.

“Our hearts go out to the victim’s family. We are fully cooperating with local authorities in their investigation of this incident,” an Uber spokesperson said in a statement.

Uber’s autonomous vehicle pilot program was briefly suspended around this time last year following a crash, also in Tempe, though that incident did not result in serious injuries. In December 2016, one of Uber’s self-driving cars ran a red light in San Francisco—an incident that Uber initially attributed to human error, but was later revealed to have been caused by the vehicle. Following this deadly event, the program has been suspended yet again.

“Some incredibly sad news out of Arizona,” Uber CEO Dara Khosrowshahi tweeted. “We’re thinking of the victim’s family as we work with local law enforcement to understand what happened.”

This story is developing and will be updated as information becomes available.

Are these vehicles aware of where crosswalks are? Would it have made a difference if she was in a crosswalk?

It would be interesting to know what the person behind the wheel was doing. How fast can you take over in a situation like that?

i-for-one-welcome-our-new-robot-overlords-64-638.jpg

Very interested to see where this goes and it has the potential, albeit small, of delaying the inevitable self driving cars revolution.

Are these vehicles aware of where crosswalks are? Would it have made a difference if she was in a crosswalk?

It would be interesting to know what the person behind the wheel was doing. How fast can you take over in a situation like that?
I was thinking the same thing, if she was outside of a zone that would impact the performance of the vehicle, what are the expectations?

The legal ramifications of these types of accidents will determine how fast we get to almost all self driving cars.

When will we get to the point where somebody can get drunk and just fall into the back seat and say “car take me home” and be absolved of all wrong doing if the car crashes?

The legal ramifications of these types of accidents will determine how fast we get to almost all self driving cars.

When will we get to the point where somebody can get drunk and just fall into the back seat and say “car take me home” and be absolved of all wrong doing if the car crashes
?

Hopefully. Self-driving cars will be far, far safer than cars driven by sober drivers, let alone drunk ones.

I think the crosswalk aspect is interesting. Maybe in the future this will require and achieve pedestrians crossing in marked crosswalks.

Reactions: unIowa
When will we get to the point where somebody can get drunk and just fall into the back seat and say “car take me home” and be absolved of all wrong doing if the car crashes?
You have this now... its called Uber or Lyft with a driver. Just don't puke in the car...

Reactions: Wendy79
I think the crosswalk aspect is interesting. Maybe in the future this will require and achieve pedestrians crossing in marked crosswalks.

I doubt the cars are aware of pedestrian crossings; I suspect they are simply scanning for moving objects.

I've heard where one problem with the self-driving was they're programmed to follow traffic laws, speed limits, etc., whereas drivers may goose it through a yellow/red light, or tailgate, etc. It would be the unpredictability of human drivers that threw them off.

In this instance, I would think the car would be aware of a pending object in its path, regardless if the person was in the X walk.

I suspect the person behind the wheel got some splainin' to do.

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/uber-apos-fatal-self-driving-175438732.html

"The NTSP partially faulted Tesla for the fatal crash, saying the system operated as intended but that the driver's inattentiveness, due to over-reliance on the Autopilot system, resulted in the accident."

This is going to be the problem with this technology. Who will be able to keep continuous attention when everything is happening automatically. It's an invitation to involve yourself in something other than driving.

Reactions: SWIowahawks

"The NTSP partially faulted Tesla for the fatal crash, saying the system operated as intended but that the driver's inattentiveness, due to over-reliance on the Autopilot system, resulted in the accident."

This is going to be the problem with this technology. Who will be able to keep continuous attention when everything is happening automatically. It's an invitation to involve yourself in something other than driving.

What's the point of auto-pilot then? I may as well be driving. The tech is worthless if this is how it is going to be used. It's like asking a kid to pay attention in Church, it ain't gonna happen.

Reactions: unIowa

That’s gonna be a good selling point. Yeah it drives itself, but you have to be paying attention and ready at a moments notice.

What's the point of auto-pilot then? I may as well be driving. The tech is worthless if this is how it is going to be used. It's like asking a kid to pay attention in Church, it ain't gonna happen.

I agree and that was my point.

Interesting .. the wapo article says the vehicles are programmed to know where all crosswalks are but the lady was not in a crisswalk. How did the lady come about in the street, did she dart out in front of the vehicle, or was she crossing near a crosswalk where traffic was otherwise slow or stopped?

On another note, I wonder if someone was suicidal they could look to be killed by an autonomous vehicle in a similar way so their family could try and sue a large organization.

I don't think this technology will be ready for prime time until the environment and other vehicles are interactive. I can imagine a scenario where our interstates have wifi and are constantly communicating data to our vehicle on road conditions, traffic, re-routing in the event of an accident, etc. I would also think this technology requires our cars to better talk to one another over the network. My car knows you're there and your car knows my position on the network.

Reactions: hawkifann
One thing to remember is that Uber is behind others (Waymo/Google) as far as their tech. I would hate to see a company with lesser technology stop progress for the whole industry.

As far as finding out why the car didn't stop, will they ever know? I thought the decisions were all based on algorithms running tasks millions of times so you can't tell why the car always does what it does in any moment.

Very interested to see where this goes and it has the potential, albeit small, of delaying the inevitable self driving cars revolution.

The correct thing to do will be to temporarily hit the pause button and investigate root causes. What I fear will happen is a complete knee-jerk reaction by several very vocal groups about how this is completely unacceptable and make it harder to continue to develop this technology.

The reality is that you'll never get accidents to 0, but we can do a hell of a lot better than we do today - more than 40,000 motor vehicle deaths in 2017, per the National Safety Council.

I hope Uber and others do a proper investigation, figure out what happened, respond accordingly to make the systems better and then get back to testing.

Last edited:
Reactions: unIowa and Urohawk
Well, now we get to see how this plays out in the courts. Since our Congress has been aggressively doing nothing about this. It's not like we haven't seen this coming for over a decade now.

This is part of the growing pains. Some areas really push back on testing the technology if there's not a human "in control". The entire point of self-driving cars is that we don't want humans in control. The more unpredictability we can take out of driving, the safer it gets. As this technology advances and we get more cameras and more measurements and more data, the autonomous car is going to have real-time, potentially complete info on weather & road conditions, they'll be able to communicate with other vehicles, etc.

This will allow vehicles to travel much more efficiently as the network of vehicles will be able to maximize efficiency so there aren't last-second lane changes, someone not knowing where they're going, etc. There's a ton of potential here, but there's also a lot of ground still to cover between here and there. For now, we'll have some of these hybrid models.

Hopefully in this case, there will be good camera coverage that will show what the woman was doing. It could be a major system glitch or it could have been her with significantly erratic behavior. Human driver or not, there are still laws of physics that apply to vehicles traveling at speed. It's possible there was a miss in the system and there's also a chance that the woman made an unpredictable move too late for the vehicle to stop.

Reactions: Daggerfoot
So, should Jaywalking be a capital offence? This doesn't seem a step forward to me.

Again, though, compare it to human drivers. Of course jaywalking isn't a capital crime, but if I run out from a ditch along a dark stretch of interstate and attempt to cross in front of a car going 65, the odds won't be in my favor. We'll need to determine whether this was an event the car should have detected and avoided or whether this was a case where the pedestrian made a tragic mistake.

One thing to remember is that Uber is behind others (Waymo/Google) as far as their tech. I would hate to see a company with lesser technology stop progress for the whole industry.

As far as finding out why the car didn't stop, will they ever know? I thought the decisions were all based on algorithms running tasks millions of times so you can't tell why the car always does what it does in any moment.

There should be logs from those tasks. We may not know precisely why something happened in the sense that you'd get if you asked a human, but if the system is well-designed, we should be able to see what the car "saw" on camera feeds and what/if anything it identified as being in it's path and whether breaking/steering systems were activated to change current course.

I suspect the number of cameras on this car are abundant so the right people will see exactly what happened.

Let's compare miles driven by humans to miles driven with self driving cars.
I'm down for that. I feel fairly comfortable that the one in however many miles logged to date for experimental cars would be less than the national average. I'm sure a comparison will eventually be reported.

I know several people that have been hit by cars before because they're idiots and were walking or biking wasted. Always their own fault...

Reactions: Gimmered
So, should Jaywalking be a capital offence? This doesn't seem a step forward to me.

No, but the same outcome exists now. It’s not like autonomous vehicles are mowing down people left and right. The technology is coming, it’s inevitable and it will be far superior to human drivers.

No, but the same outcome exists now. It’s not like autonomous vehicles are mowing down people left and right. The technology is coming, it’s inevitable and it will be far superior to human drivers.
I'm not disputing that the time may come. I'm not sure it will seem worth it to those who lose their loved ones.

Interesting .. the wapo article says the vehicles are programmed to know where all crosswalks are but the lady was not in a crisswalk. How did the lady come about in the street, did she dart out in front of the vehicle, or was she crossing near a crosswalk where traffic was otherwise slow or stopped?

On another note, I wonder if someone was suicidal they could look to be killed by an autonomous vehicle in a similar way so their family could try and sue a large organization.
I work in the public transit industry and hav seen the self driving buses operate on a closed course with a live pedestrian. The bus was able to see the person crossing the street and stop, it even honked the horn when he stood in front of the bus for a couple minutes.

On the suicide note, strange story. I was working in Detroit and the buses were getting ready to pull out on their shift. This female driver tells me it's her12th anniversary. I asked if she had been driving for Detroit the whole time and she tells me, "she has driven for Detroit for 20 years, it's the 12th anniversary of someone committing suicide by walking out in front of her bus". I didn't know what to say just told her I was sorry and have a good day.

How many people nationwide do you think got hit by regular cars accidentally for doing exactly that yesterday?
Think about scale: There was also least a few billion or more miles driven by humans yesterday than there was by autonomous robots. Multiply this incident to equal the number of human drivers/miles to robot drivers/miles and now we are somewhere in the realm of tens of thousands of deaths.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT