ADVERTISEMENT

Ava Jones

If you’re gonna be mad about not being a blue blood you should just stop watching.
No one is mad about it. It's simply the law of nature. I'm sure CC would agree, in sports you should always be striving to be the best and not just be content with a "second class" mentality and make excuses for it.

Do you think a guy like Mark Few had that mentality when he took over at Gonzaga? "Hey, we're just Gonzaga. Sure, we can dominate our little WCC conference, and maybe make a cinderella run during the tournament once or twice, but we'll never be a perennial Top 10 program that consistently makes the tournament, let alone perennially gets to the Elite 8 and Final Four."

Reactions: DewHawk
No one is mad about it. It's simply the law of nature. I'm sure CC would agree, in sports you should always be striving to be the best and not just be content with a "second class" mentality and make excuses for it.

Do you think a guy like Mark Few had that mentality when he took over at Gonzaga? "Hey, we're just Gonzaga. Sure, we can dominate our little WCC conference, and maybe make a cinderella run during the tournament once or twice, but we'll never be a perennial Top 10 program that consistently makes the tournament, let alone perennially gets to the Elite 8 and Final Four."
I don’t watch MBB so the Gonzaga example is lost on me. But I still don’t see what you’re so mad about. Bluder is clearly working hard to keep Iowa at an elite level. She just landed arguably the most sought after player in the portal (and 2nd best scorer outside Clark in the country). She also has landed the #5 kid in the class of 2025 (Clark was also #5 in her class). If Bluder was content to take a significant step back she wouldnt have expended the capital / money / time to achieve either. She wouldn’t be recruiting up and down the west coast like she is. She wouldn’t be foregoing kids like Ava Zediker who would likely sign with Iowa in a heartbeat if given an offer. If Bluder wasn’t aiming high, the class of 2025 would be done and it’d be rather unimpressive.

In terms of portaling/retention, you can look at Maryland and Ohio State for great examples of what can happen when you stop caring about your own players and just start relying on the portal year in and year out. You get 5-6 transfers out annually, you get positional imbalances, your culture goes up in smoke, you underwhelm in tourneys. You say you need a superstar — we have had 2 NPOYs (and 3 B1G POYs) in the last 6 seasons, and Bluder has two incoming recruits with better offer lists than any kids Bluder has ever signed except Clark.

Last edited:
Illness can get a waiver. Pregnancy can get you a waiver. Neither are going to be sport related.

I also said apply in my post if they thought there was a reason to, and that is not something that would need to be done right away. It could be done three years from now....nor would I ever venture a guess on what the NCAAs final decision would be

Basic rules are here

Okay, so then tell me how it applied to Petras? He did NOT take a medical "retirement" obviously since he is now playing at another school. He took a medical waiver, at least thats what the coaches said, and they also said that would make him ineligible to play at Iowa again. Supposedly the whole "medical waver" rule was put in place to stop teams from "stashing" players away for a year or two and then bringing them back onto the roster.

Overall I'm glad we have this discussion and that most have made some effort to keep it at least somewhat civil. No one here wants anything bad for the coaches or players. I would just add something about why I think recruiting the deep bench is SO important. Mainly your never recruiting to "add the 13-15" player on the bench. Injuries and developmental issues make those adjustments. Iowa's current roster is a perfect example of my point. Our three back up bigs were all fairly highly rated players. AJ evidently top 50? Both AOG and SG top 100? And yet through injuries, slow recovery or lack of further development, none have really made the expected impact. This is the main reason you fill out a roster, because this happens to most teams , that aren't blue bloods. You always want to recruit the next player who you think will be a great player. The ones who don't live up to those aspirations will settle at the lower end of the roster, but your not recruiting to fill those bottom spots. If you have an open ride, your looking for a really good player to fill it, so it can never be said that that 14th or 15th spot, (or 13th for Fran) is not an important spot to fill because you should ALWAYS be recruiting to fill the FRONT of your roster, not the back. Some people might call that recruiting over current players. Well, thats exactly what the coach IS supposed to be doing with each class, No?

Its not personal and yet your statement is worded like its your decision. I was unaware. My apologies....Just FYI, the lady who actually coaches the team, has said publicly in interviews, that she really doubts that Ava will ever be able to play. If she believes that and has said that publicly don't you think she's had these conversations with Ava?
Anyone with an ounce of integrity does not go back on a promise.

I feel sorry for you not having an ounce of integrity.

Anyone with an ounce of integrity does not go back on a promise.

I feel sorry for you not having an ounce of integrity.
Pull the stick out of your ass. You don't know a thing about me. Show me where in this thread or any other, I attacked anyone personally. Try keeping your emotions out of a discussion which has zero to do with what will or won't happen. I know, my apologies. Only the same dozen people who have the same exact thoughts on what is simply a discussion should EVER post here on Putins website. Try actually responding to my post right above yours, instead of making an assumption about someone you don't know website warrior...

Last edited:
Pull the stick out of your ass. You don't know a thing about me. Show me where in this thread or any other, I attacked anyone personally. Try keeping your emotions out of a discussion which has zero to do with what will or won't happen. I know, my apologies. Only the same dozen people who have the same exact thoughts on what is simply a discussion should EVER post here on Putins website. Try actually responding to my post right above yours, instead of making an assumption about someone you don't know website warrior...
Coach Bluder stated from day 1 the University of Iowa will honor the scholarship offer to Ava.

Your tone in this entire thread is the scholarship offer should be reconsidered as "you" believe she will never play.

Or did I miss something?

Here was Franisdanarc telling everyone Ava only had one surgery left. Not quoting a reporter or linking a story. Just posting what he "knew" so he could get likes and people responding to his thread. Very sad for someone to prey on that young woman's story like that.

You are correct; Ava does have "just" one surgery remaining (her shoulder); that surgery reportedly will be done at Iowa.

Amy, the mom, is the one who will have surgery on her leg tomorrow, Wed June 14.

The family is a amazing, isn't it? They just keep moving forward.

Imagine using Ava's injuries to promote your own thread and supposed insider information by posting made up stuff about her surgeries.

Here was Franisdanarc telling everyone Ava only had one surgery left. Not quoting a reporter or linking a story. Just posting what he "knew" so he could get likes and people responding to his thread. Very sad for someone to prey on that young woman's story like that.

You are a liar and everyone knows it.

The truth? I posted stories on her current status. I then ONLY posted on what was being reported at the time. Did things change? Yes, and when they did change, I posted that story.

And I preyed on her story? You are a piece of dung, and everyone knows that, too.

You bring nothing to these forums. You troll, you harass, and you lie.

@RossWB

Last edited:
Coach Bluder stated from day 1 the University of Iowa will honor the scholarship offer to Ava.

Your tone in this entire thread is the scholarship offer should be reconsidered as "you" believe she will never play.

Or did I miss something?
What Lisa said was that she would be on A scholarship. Many here believe that only means an athleltic one, but it may not have to be, as a medical would afford her a full scholarship and she could be allowed to work with the team, travel and everything in basically a team manager capacity. And just for the record, coach Bluder has said in more then one interview in the last year, that SHE does not believe that Ava will recover enough to play, as its a long shot she'll regain that type of mobility. What I think has nothing to do with any of this, as I'm not making those decisions, and have said that from the beginning.

What Lisa said was that she would be on A scholarship. Many here believe that only means an athleltic one, but it may not have to be, as a medical would afford her a full scholarship and she could be allowed to work with the team, travel and everything in basically a team manager capacity. And just for the record, coach Bluder has said in more then one interview in the last year, that SHE does not believe that Ava will recover enough to play, as its a long shot she'll regain that type of mobility. What I think has nothing to do with any of this, as I'm not making those decisions, and have said that from the beginning.
Then don't worry about it! If she remains on an athletic scholarship great!

Okay, so then tell me how it applied to Petras? He did NOT take a medical "retirement" obviously since he is now playing at another school. He took a medical waiver, at least thats what the coaches said, and they also said that would make him ineligible to play at Iowa again. Supposedly the whole "medical waver" rule was put in place to stop teams from "stashing" players away for a year or two and then bringing them back onto the roster.

When a player is a medical retirement from a school they can not play for that school again.

They can, however, transfer and play for another school. That has happened numerous times.

If a student cannot play, and the University and student applies for a Medical Hardship Waiver, they can gain an extra year of eligibility. Gets really weird outside of the five year window...but still possible and does happen all the time.

Jess Settles being a prime example.

Cam McCormick took a red shirt in football for the 2016 season.

He had six catches for 89 yards in his RS Freshman year. That was in 2017. He played in games in 2017, 2018, 2021, 2022, and 2023.

Was injured in 19 and 20.

He will be playing college football this season.

He has teammates that were in 3rd grade when he first arrived to college.

• Wow
Reactions: CaboKP
When a player is a medical retirement from a school they can not play for that school again.

They can, however, transfer and play for another school. That has happened numerous times.

If a student cannot play, and the University and student applies for a Medical Hardship Waiver, they can gain an extra year of eligibility. Gets really weird outside of the five year window...but still possible and does happen all the time.

Jess Settles being a prime example.

Cam McCormick took a red shirt in football for the 2016 season.

He had six catches for 89 yards in his RS Freshman year. That was in 2017. He played in games in 2017, 2018, 2021, 2022, and 2023.

Was injured in 19 and 20.

He will be playing college football this season.

He has teammates that were in 3rd grade when he first arrived to college.
Wow interesting. Still don't see how he redshirted, then played in 2 seasons, 2 medicals and then played in three more, and then is back. Thats still 5 years played and going on 6. Are you sure thats accurate? Even with a covid year that would be 6 years played not counting the two medicals.

Sorry. but I don't think thats right either. Jbo played 10 games . His injury was related to the sport. So your saying that she can take a redshirt, and then take a medical, (unrelated to competition) and then still play 4 years? I'm not so sure about that. I think you'll find that players who have pulled that off have been injured during related activities, and yes I think to the NCAA that makes a difference, (no matter how screwed up the NCAA is).
JBo's injury was related to him being athletic, not his sport. He most certainly gamed the system knowing he was going to have the surgery yet playing the allowed number of games to get the redshirt. It didn't keep him from playing, and there is nothing to day playing ball at Iowa was the reason for the injury. Contributed to, obviously.

Here's a guy who played 9 years. Got more time because, after he came back to play, a screw bothered him

Wow interesting. Still don't see how he redshirted, then played in 2 seasons, 2 medicals and then played in three more, and then is back. Thats still 5 years played and going on 6. Are you sure thats accurate? Even with a covid year that would be 6 years played not counting the two medicals.

Post above linked to an article on it

I don't have a huge problem with medical redshirts and such, but at some point, it's life...and it can suck.
Like all of these C-19 extra years. I don't agree with those at all. You lost a year (or part of one) due to something completely out of your control--I get it, that sucks donkey. But life is life and usually not kind. I'm sorry that you got hosed by mismanagement of an unknown medical crisis. This won't be the last time life kicks you in the balls, and will likely be far, far worse than losing a portion of a season of college athletics. We see what it has done now as kids coming in had to wait to see if someone was going to hang around for their "Covid year" and adjust their plans accordingly, or sit on the bench longer, etc.

Post above linked to an article on it
Not saying its not accurate, but I sure as Hell don't understand it either. I mean I get the redshirt, and even the medicals. BUT then set all that aside, and the dude will still have played in SIX seasons, not counting those three years. Thats insane. It was always five years to play FOUR. This guys gets NINE years to play SIX? What dumbass signed off on that (the NCAA I know), and how do they justify letting him play in six seasons, not counting the other three years.....

Like all of these C-19 extra years. I don't agree with those at all. You lost a year (or part of one) due to something completely out of your control--I get it, that sucks donkey. But life is life and usually not kind.
This wasn’t a retroactive “we’re sorry” thing tho. This happened early in the year of 2019-2020 bc it was scary times! People were afraid to see family, let alone play on a court with others. What if the season got cancelled halfway thru? What if you got sick in December and your performance suffered bc of it? What if you didn’t feel safe playing? It just made sense at the time to say, “This season is going to be unpredictable. We can’t guarantee anything. It just won’t count. No one has to do anything they don’t want to, but the option is there for you if you want it, and you can bow out anytime, no pressure.”

This way, people weren’t punished for being cautious (i.e., many schools canceled their whole season) and they weren’t punished for being brave either. Remember even airlines basically offered full refunds on any flight — no questions asked. The spirit of the time was to be accommodating. The NCAA after all wanted kids to play. But there was a chance that half the country could cancel their seasons independently. Then what? A half ass championship and a lot of butt hurt kids, coaches and parents. It was rly the only solution that leveled the playing field, gave kids options, and preserved the season as well.

I’d also like to point out that perhaps no WBB program in the country benefit more from the COVID year than Iowa. No way we make it to the championship game last year without Czinano and no we make it this year without Martin and Marshall. B1G titles wouldn’t have happened either.

Last edited:
This wasn’t a retroactive “we’re sorry” thing tho. This happened early in the year of 2019-2020 bc it was scary times! People were afraid to see family, let alone play on a court with others. What if the season got cancelled halfway thru? What if you got sick in December and your performance suffered bc of it? What if you didn’t feel safe playing? It just made sense at the time to say, “This season is going to be unpredictable. We can’t guarantee anything. It just won’t count. No one has to do anything they don’t want to, but the option is there for you if you want it, and you can bow out anytime, no pressure.”

This way, people weren’t punished for being cautious (i.e., many schools canceled their whole season) and they weren’t punished for being brave either. Remember even airlines basically offered full refunds on any flight — no questions asked. The spirit of the time was to be accommodating. The NCAA after all wanted kids to play. But there was a chance that half the country could cancel their seasons independently. Then what? A half ass championship and a lot of butt hurt kids, coaches and parents. It was rly the only solution that leveled the playing field, gave kids options, and preserved the season as well.

I’d also like to point out that perhaps no WBB program in the country benefit more from the COVID year than Iowa. No way we make it to the championship game last year without Czinano and no we make it this year without Martin and Marshall. B1G titles wouldn’t have happened either.
I was fine with the seniors in 2019, but not really after that, regardless of how it helped Iowa or not. If you want to go down that road we also played against a lot of teams who had 5th year seniors as well, who should have been gone also, especially in the B1G. It had to have screwed things up for incoming players as well, both for playing time, or even getting on a roster. Just glad we're done with it now.....

Reactions: LarryMullenJr.
I was fine with the seniors in 2019, but not really after that, regardless of how it helped Iowa or not. If you want to go down that road we also played against a lot of teams who had 5th year seniors as well, who should have been gone also, especially in the B1G. It had to have screwed things up for incoming players as well, both for playing time, or even getting on a roster. Just glad we're done with it now.....
It didn’t happen for the seniors in 2019 tho. The kids who missed March Madness that year were indeed SOL. Again it had nothing to with “we feel bad for you bc you missed out” — it was a proactive response to a whole lot of uncertainty! It was a decision very much made in the best interest of current student athletes at that time. They rly weren’t thinking or concerned about HS kids.

I still think it true that no other WBB program in the country benefit from the Covid waiver as much as Iowa. Czinano’s last game would have been the Creighton L.

Reactions: Hawksbyamillion
It didn’t happen for the seniors in 2019 tho. The kids who missed March Madness that year were indeed SOL. Again it had nothing to with “we feel bad for you bc you missed out” — it was a proactive response to a whole lot of uncertainty! It was a decision very much made in the best interest of current student athletes at that time. They rly weren’t thinking or concerned about HS kids.

I still think it true that no other WBB program in the country benefit from the Covid waiver as much as Iowa. Czinano’s last game would have been the Creighton L.
I understand that. It still really screwed them over. especially for playing time with veteran players staying on teams longer when they would have been gone. Even our football team. I mean its great having all the defensive players return, but there has to be some guys on the roster thinking, "seriously", I still don't get my shot at LB, or safety, or whatever.....

Bluder said after the accident in October 2022 that Jones might not play again, but please provide a link for Bluder saying something similar after Jones signed her LOI in November 2022.

Reactions: BGHAWK
Just glad we're done with it now.....

Two more years.

Will have plenty of 5th year seniors in all sports next year and the following year you will get 6th year seniors....ie Kylie has 2 years of eligibility remaining, she has played three and one red shirt.

Reactions: shikreto
Well, I think she will be able to make an appearance back on the court for her senior year. Getting back to being a D1 level player would be quite a miracle! Girl certainly shows a lot of heart and determination!! 👏 👏 👏

Two more years.

Will have plenty of 5th year seniors in all sports next year and the following year you will get 6th year seniors....ie Kylie has 2 years of eligibility remaining, she has played three and one red shirt.
Not pooping on you but I have heard a number of sports talking heads and writers saying it’s done now. And the math of it being done makes sense.
Again, you may very well be right but I’d heard it was over.

Not pooping on you but I have heard a number of sports talking heads and writers saying it’s done now. And the math of it being done makes sense.
Again, you may very well be right but I’d heard it was over.

Your talking heads are incorrect.

Not sure why you think the math makes sense...Caitlin was eligible to return for a Covid year.

Kylie is the same year as Caitlin and has a red shirt year in there...so 2 more years.

Going to be alot of football players that came on a college campus in 2020 that red shirted their freshman year that still have 2 left.

Two more years.

Whatever. Great. I thought it was over. I guess I was wrong on that one also. Good for you. Too damn bad . Stupidest thing they ever did allowing this shit to be drug out for 5 or 6 years. Just more young players whose entire careers have been trashed so that these kids could stay on the Van Wilder college plan.....Feel really sorry for the younger players who have spent years not getting their turn because upper classman are in college 5 or 6 years.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT