ADVERTISEMENT

Best TV Series Finale?

The last episode and last scene for The Barney Miller Show was very good and fitting.
Is that the one where Fish has a stroke, Harris gets busted by Internal Affairs for taking kickbacks from pimps, Wojo and Dietrich get sick on bad shrimp, and Yemana dies in a freak elevator accident? I love that episode.

I thought The Office and Big Bang Theory did a good job.

Old school-the last Dick Van Dyke Show was mostly flashbacks from the most popular episodes but you find out Rob has finally finished his book that is referenced though out the 5 years of the series, (Not cancelled-Carl Reiner wanted to go out on top.) Publishers hate the book but boss Allen Brady loves it and is going to make a series out of it with characters based on those you have come to love. So the circle is complete.

Mary Tyler Moore Show is also superb as everyone is fired except for the inept Ted Baxter. Mary gets a speech saying goodbye to her television family just as she is saying goodbye to her office family.

Best endings of a series:

Breaking Bad
Better Call Saul
Cheers
MASH
The Office (American Edition)

Best final scenes:

Newhart
St Elsewhere

It's easy to think of some of the series finales that have putzed the ending (looking at you GOT, and you Dexter, and also you Seinfeld).
I agree on GOT and Dexter, but Seinfeld? A wonderfully funny (but pointless) show that started about a button, ended about a button. I say:

michael fassbender perfection GIF

As for my favorites? Breaking Bad, BCS, Friends, Chuck, White Collar were all very well done and satisfying endings.

GOT and How I Met Your Mother, though? People should have to pay for that garbage.

It's easy to think of some of the series finales that have putzed the ending (looking at you GOT, and you Dexter, and also you Seinfeld).

As far as best series finale, it's tough to beat Baby Blue by Badfinger to close out Breaking Bad. Not quite the shock value of the Sopranos, but it just wraps up a great series in such a satisfying way.

Whatchu got HORT? Who claims the best ending in TV history?
Mash or Sopranos. IMO

I agree on GOT and Dexter, but Seinfeld? A wonderfully funny (but pointless) show that started about a button, ended about a button. I say:

michael fassbender perfection GIF

As for my favorites? Breaking Bad, BCS, Friends, Chuck, White Collar were all very well done and satisfying endings.

GOT and How I Met Your Mother, though? People should have to pay for that garbage.
I just feel like they tried too hard with the Seinfeld finale. I wished it would have been just a regular episode with maybe a "we're moving on" message. The show about nothing suddenly turned into a show about something. The button call back was a nice touch, but I would have preferred them being in the coffee shop rather than a jail cell.

In my humble opinion the best finales are:
1. Breaking Bad
2. The Sopranos
3. Mad Men
4. Friends
5. The Wire

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT