ADVERTISEMENT

Biden says Congress should ban assault weapons and high capacity magazines after Colorado shooting

Morrison71

HR Legend
Nov 10, 2006
WASHINGTON — President Joe Biden on Tuesday called for tightening gun control laws in the wake of a mass shooting Monday at a grocery store in Boulder, Colorado, less than a week after eight people were killed during a shooting spree in Atlanta.

Speaking at the White House before leaving for Columbus, Ohio, Biden suggested that he may take executive action on gun violence.

"As president I’m going to use all the resources at my disposal to keep people safe," he said.
Click to shrink...
Biden called for a ban of assault-style weapons and high-capacity magazines.

"I got that done when I was a senator. It passed. It was a law for the longest time, and it brought down these mass killings. We should do it again," he said. "We can close loopholes in our background check system, close the Charleston loophole. That's one of the best tools we have right now to prevent gun violence."

Biden called on the Senate to "immediately pass" two bills the House recently approved that change background check laws. He argued gun laws shouldn't be a "partisan issue," adding, "this is an American issue."

Wasn't the last assault weapon ban enacted under the administration of the RINO Ronald Reagan? Why would any Republican want to emulate anything associated with him and that legacy?

Reactions: BelemNole
Kind of odd that when the media declares something an act of terror all they’re concerned about is the perp’s motivation and ideology.

But when they label it a shooting all they care about is the weapons.

Hypocrites.

Wasn't the last assault weapon ban enacted under the administration of the RINO Ronald Reagan? Why would any Republican want to emulate anything associated with him and that legacy?
I thought the last federal assault weapon ban was signed by Clinton?

Reactions: ghost80

No, it was a signature achievement of the Clinton administration as it gave us the Gingrich Congress.
Biden may have forgotten.

Reactions: ghost80
I don't have a problem with this. We used to have assault weapons banned.

I don't know if now is the right time to push this one from the perspective of political strategy. As in: if this makes his infrastructure bill that much less likely to get get anywhere, I'd avoid this topic right now.

Reactions: JupiterHawk
Not saying a ban should go into place but if there is a ban.....it needs to be permanent to prevent a proliferation of even more guns.

Human nature is that we covet what we cannot have. Prior to 1994 there were few privately owned assault weapons compared to the number shortly after the ban was allowed to expire. It went from Colt and a few other mfg creating ARs to everybody and his brother jumping on the money train.

Not saying a ban should go into place but if there is a ban.....it needs to be permanent to prevent a proliferation of even more guns.

Human nature is that we covet what we cannot have. Prior to 1994 there were few privately owned assault weapons compared to the number shortly after the ban was allowed to expire. It went from Colt and a few other mfg creating ARs to everybody and his brother jumping on the money train.
It would also need to change more than a couple of cosmetic features too. The high cap magazine ban has already been ruled against in the 9th.

Normally I don't approach these things from this stance but WTF.

I can buy an "80%" that is a piece of plastic or aluminum. That's all it is, when I take a drill bit and vice to it I get a lower for an AR.

There is no ****ing way to track this or regulate it. I could 3d print 10000000 of them in my basement. All other parts needed? Simple replacement parts( barrel, buttstock, trigger etc). The only thing that is a rifle on an AR is the lower.

Conversely, I don't even need a 3d printer yet. I can, and have, bought Many Many Many of these:

That are all going to be built into ARs using replacement parts that cannot be outlawed. The gun people are so ****ing far ahead of any of these cheese dicks it's funny.

Banning an "AR" would be like banning leaded gas, your window to make an impact was years ago and those of us who care are not even running gas engines anymore. Good ****ing luck.

Normally I don't approach these things from this stance but WTF.

I can buy an "80%" that is a piece of plastic or aluminum. That's all it is, when I take a drill bit and vice to it I get a lower for an AR.

There is no ****ing way to track this or regulate it. I could 3d print 10000000 of them in my basement. All other parts needed? Simple replacement parts( barrel, buttstock, trigger etc). The only thing that is a rifle on an AR is the lower.

Conversely, I don't even need a 3d printer yet. I can, and have, bought Many Many Many of these:

That are all going to be built into ARs using replacement parts that cannot be outlawed. The gun people are so ****ing far ahead of any of these cheese dicks it's funny.

Banning an "AR" would be like banning leaded gas, your window to make an impact was years ago and those of us who car are not even running gas engines anymore. Good ****ing luck.
The Feds won't even push the 80% rule on AR-15s because no part on the AR fits the description of a receiver.

I'm absolutely OK with this. Some weapons are made for the sole purpose of inflicting as much damage as possible on human beings in a very short window of time. I do not think they should be owned by civilians in any circumstance.

If a criminal has one, you are now putting over 100 million gun owners at a disadvantage.

Okay, let's--for the sake of the OP--say that an assault rifle ban passes and is instituted across America. How do we get them? 5-10 million AR-15 style rifles exist in the U.S. (scary how that number gap is so vast) within the broader total of the 300 million firearms owned by Americans. How do you get them? Sure, the law abiding citizens will turn them in, but what about the rest? Will it become the next war on drugs?

Okay, let's--for the sake of the OP--say that an assault rifle ban passes and is instituted across America. How do we get them? 5-10 million AR-15 style rifles exist in the U.S. (scary how that number gap is so vast) within the broader total of the 300 million firearms owned by Americans. How do you get them? Sure, the law abiding citizens will turn them in, but what about the rest? Will it become the next war on drugs?
Everyone with assault type weapons will be grandfathered in. No one is going to go around collecting guns from gun owners. They will just stop selling new ones. My opinion, it will make no difference in anything. Ban assault weapons, ok, the next person will do it with a handgun, rifle or shotgun. It's not the guns, it's the people with mental illness and just overall lack of compassion that is the problem.

The original ban meant nothing. It was mostly about cosmetics

Named some weapons, and then also called any firearm with at least two of the listed features (cosmetics, etc.) a semiautomatic assault weapon:

is amended by adding at the end the following:
``(30) The term `semiautomatic assault weapon' means--
``(A) any of the firearms, or copies or duplicates of the
firearms, known as--
``(i) Norinco, Mitchell, and Poly Technologies
Avtomat Kalashnikovs (all models);
``(ii) Action Arms Israeli Military Industries UZI
and Galil;
``(iii) Beretta Ar70 (SC-70);
``(iv) Colt AR-15;
``(v) Fabrique National FN/FAL, FN/LAR, and FNC;
``(vi) SWD M-10, M-11, M-11/9, and M-12;
``(vii) Steyr AUG;
``(viii) INTRATEC TEC-9, TEC-DC9 and TEC-22; and
``(ix) revolving cylinder shotguns, such as (or
similar to) the Street Sweeper and Striker 12;
``(B) a semiautomatic rifle that has an ability to accept a
detachable magazine and has at least 2 of--
``(i) a folding or telescoping stock;
``(ii) a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously
beneath the action of the weapon;
``(iii) a bayonet mount;
``(iv) a flash suppressor or threaded barrel
designed to accommodate a flash suppressor; and
``(v) a grenade launcher;
``(C) a semiautomatic pistol that has an ability to accept
a detachable magazine and has at least 2 of--
``(i) an ammunition magazine that attaches to the
pistol outside of the pistol grip;
``(ii) a threaded barrel capable of accepting a
barrel extender, flash suppressor, forward handgrip, or
silencer;
``(iii) a shroud that is attached to, or partially
or completely encircles, the barrel and that permits
the shooter to hold the firearm with the nontrigger
hand without being burned;
``(iv) a manufactured weight of 50 ounces or more
when the pistol is unloaded; and
``(v) a semiautomatic version of an automatic
firearm; and
``(D) a semiautomatic shotgun that has at least 2 of--
``(i) a folding or telescoping stock;
``(ii) a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously
beneath the action of the weapon;
``(iii) a fixed magazine capacity in excess of 5
rounds; and
``(iv) an ability to accept a detachable
magazine.''.

There's no way to confiscate and Biden know it, the next plan will be to make them Class 3 and require a tax stamp.

I'm very aware of what transpired in the the last 4 years, the EOs that Obama signed were totally meaningless. They did nothing.
No one wants to address real problems....gun bans is a damn scape goat.

If you want to really chase after mental health and causation (anger, hate, etc.), you'll also be going up against cooperate giants who:

- provide the unchecked social media platforms manipulating society
- provide all the damn mental health drugs
- provide the income gap between the 1%ers and the rest of America

How do you go after the wheels that turn our country? You don't. You sign a useless EO about gun bans.

If they want to have a conversation about reclassifying the SBR pistol used in this shooting as a short barrel rifle as it should be, the would gain a lot of traction IMO. It wouldn't change things, but these things should require a stamp.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT