ADVERTISEMENT

Big Ten Reportedly 'Vetted' 10 Schools For Possible Expansion

Iowa will make a ton of money but never sniff the playoff with a conference that loaded.
Playoff format is going to have to change. You can't reserve autobids for conferences that no longer exist. There will have to be some other format for it. At this point, they need to drop the pretense that they aren't trying to be NFLtoo and just become NCFL with divisions and such. It is far less compelling but I don't know how you can organize it and have any coherent post season.

Playoff format is going to have to change. You can't reserve autobids for conferences that no longer exist. There will have to be some other format for it. At this point, they need to drop the pretense that they aren't trying to be NFLtoo and just become NCFL with divisions and such. It is far less compelling but I don't know how you can organize it and have any coherent post season.
With the college playoffs going to 12 teams, once USC/UCLA and TX/OK make their moves, B1G and SEC should get 3 each, ACC 2, B12 2, then 2 at large.

So, add Cal and Stanford to keep up academic appearances...then let FSU/UVa/UNC/Clemson get the legal game in order - then we'll have The B1G 24 somewhere around fall 2026. The B12 then swoops in to add Utah, ASU, OrSU and Wazzoo and I believe that's the Pac12 all accounted for.

Yes, I know sports wise Cal/Stanford don't really add a whole lot, but I've always felt if they were going somewhere, the B1G actually makes the most sense. And screw USC/UCLA if they get pissy about adding their 4 P12 cousins - just remind them how much more money they'll be getting versus keeping the P12 together. And if they're frightened about recruiting, well that's on them to do better keeping those players at home.

It is amazing to see the Pac12 imploding like this. And yes, kinda sad too even looking at it from the outside.

Reactions: PoopandBoogers
So, add Cal and Stanford to keep up academic appearances...then let FSU/UVa/UNC/Clemson get the legal game in order - then we'll have The B1G 24 somewhere around fall 2026. The B12 then swoops in to add Utah, ASU, OrSU and Wazzoo and I believe that's the Pac12 all accounted for.

Yes, I know sports wise Cal/Stanford don't really add a whole lot, but I've always felt if they were going somewhere, the B1G actually makes the most sense. And screw USC/UCLA if they get pissy about adding their 4 P12 cousins - just remind them how much more money they'll be getting versus keeping the P12 together. And if they're frightened about recruiting, well that's on them to do better keeping those players at home.

It is amazing to see the Pac12 imploding like this. And yes, kinda sad too even looking at it from the outside.
They remind me of Blockbuster's hubris. If you do not adapt, you die.

Reactions: TC Nole OX
OK so with the BIG and the Big 12 both expanding I think chances are better at least we drop those idiot Clowns from our schedule

Yep. I can see going to a 10 game conference schedule before too long. I'm more curious if they go to another east/west thing before too long.

UWa
Oregon
USC
UCLA
Nebby
Iowa
Minnesota
Illinois
jNW

This is where the Cal/Stanford additions balance this out better. Then move the two IL schools to the east, slide Wisconsin in to the west, and you have a tidy 10 east and west.

Now, say you add the 4 ACC's...then you'd have to move the two IL's back west and stick the 4 ACC's in the east.

All of this maneuvering is just NVTS nuts to think through. The new B1G commish has his work cut out for him...don't envy his job corralling all these kittens at all.

Soooo...Iowa fans, did you EVER believe that it'd be possible that in effect we'd wind up in a "tossed into a blender" reformed Pac10 conference? I sure as hell didn't.

Don't laugh...it could happen. I sort of am now expecting/accepting that it's gonna happen.

Reactions: binsfeldcyhawk2
West coast just doesn’t get the eyeballs on the TV in the numbers to demand big money TV contracts.

What’s happening is perfect, Midwest and East coast dominate conference with a sprinkle of west coast for late night TV viewing and no cold weather worries.

Still amazes me how lucky Big XII got in all of this. They looked like the MAC after Texas and Oklahoma left now they are in position to be just behind SEC and Big10.

The expansion news on Twitter today has been epic. News comes out about every half hour. Fascinating stuff
talking-who-saw-ferris-pass-out-at31flavors-last-night.gif

I think the Big 12 saved itself but they did it at the expense of the PAC-12. It's clear evidence of what having a weak commissioner can do for the conference.

ACC hasn’t had a good commissioner since Gene Corrigan. The previous commissioner Swofford was bad and corrupt. The current clown ACC commissioner got rejected by the big ten, left a brewing monstrosity of a mess at Northwestern and doesn’t seem to want to be bothered with reality. Fear not, we are in good hands.

Big 12’s commissioner is proving himself to be a boss.

Still amazes me how lucky Big XII got in all of this. They looked like the MAC after Texas and Oklahoma left now they are in position to be just behind SEC and Big10.

They survived, I guess. They replaced Texas and Oklahoma with Colorado, Arizona, BYU, Cincinnati, Central Florida, and Houston. It was a shitty conference and is even shittier now.

The only winners here are the B1G and SEC. The last major domino left is ND, whose hand is now forced

Reactions: peacehawk
West coast just doesn’t get the eyeballs on the TV in the numbers to demand big money TV contracts.

Here's how I hypothesize how the B1G is thinking about this. I agree 100% that when thinking of the schools added as a Pac 12 matchup, then hell yeah Pac12 after dark holds not much of an appeal to us slobs here in the midwest.

I'm sure's hell not watching Oregon play Wazzoo at night. But I sure's heck might watch Oregon play Minnesota at night. Or USC play Illinois. Or Washington play Wisconsin. Or UCLA play Maryland.

At 7pm east/6pm central, you usually don't get as quality a B1G conference game as you get in the late afternoon slot. That night game, if there's no OSU/PSU type matchup to feature on ABC, you tend to get an Iowa-jNW, Nebraska-Indiana, Maryland-Rutgers type game.

Weekly "scraps" so to speak.

For this exercise, omit that I don't have the new TV partners memorized at this time. They're out there though, just don't remember all the machinations of who they are currently.

Beginning in 2024(?), every weekend, you have the opportunity to have say an Iowa-UCLA at 6-7pm on FS1 PLUS maybe a Indiana-Oregon at the same time on the B10N...then at 930ish you could have a Wisconsin-Washington on either of the two.

Instead of having one or at most two night games, you might have 3...and you would be able to use those 4 Pac12 programs as the features for all us midwestern viewers added onto whatever those west schools would normal draw from their home markets.

Therefore, to me you might very well see a bump here in B10 country with nighttime ratings on a per game basis - PLUS having that potential 3rd night game to tack on late night.

14 full hours of B10 football LIVE within the conference, every Saturday. Then, add in this - I could see Friday night games EVERY week, not just 3-4 sprinkled in throughout the season. Then bye weeks - before, holy shit Ohio State is off this week - but now we can cover those bye week "normal ratings powerhouses" already in the conference fairly easily now with fresh, "new to us" matchups.

THIS is why I believe the B1G sees this as a net gain overall. All us B10 old schools are going to look at these games against these west coast schools sort of as our new version of enhanced non-con scheduling we've all been demanding...and tune it in greater numbers than if we were "only playing Rutgers" that weekend.

Because it's pro football.

So, hear me out, we get a total 20 teams and create as west division and east division. The west could be the Pack 10 and in the east would be the BIG 10. The winners play each other in the Rose Bowl every year.
They are all flying. No need for divisions.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT