ADVERTISEMENT

Big Ten Reportedly 'Vetted' 10 Schools For Possible Expansion

Yep. I can see going to a 10 game conference schedule before too long. I'm more curious if they go to another east/west thing before too long.

UWa
Oregon
USC
UCLA
Nebby
Iowa
Minnesota
Illinois
jNW

This is where the Cal/Stanford additions balance this out better. Then move the two IL schools to the east, slide Wisconsin in to the west, and you have a tidy 10 east and west.

Now, say you add the 4 ACC's...then you'd have to move the two IL's back west and stick the 4 ACC's in the east.

All of this maneuvering is just NVTS nuts to think through. The new B1G commish has his work cut out for him...don't envy his job corralling all these kittens at all.

Soooo...Iowa fans, did you EVER believe that it'd be possible that in effect we'd wind up in a "tossed into a blender" reformed Pac10 conference? I sure as hell didn't.

Don't laugh...it could happen. I sort of am now expecting/accepting that it's gonna happen.
Ill be shocked if divisions happen anything like that.

Those midwest schools are not gonna like flying to the west coast multiple times a year while the other teams might go once.

It's not over FSU and Clemson next
The only question is if it is to the B1G or SEC? I see Paul Finebaum has been pumping up the prospect of bringing in FSU. The next week or so is about to be wild if they announce because that essentially gives us P3 conferences and they will have to redo their 12 team playoff plan, maybe just push that to 16 with these power conferences.

Reactions: fsu1jreed
The only question is if it is to the B1G or SEC? I see Paul Finebaum has been pumping up the prospect of bringing in FSU. The next week or so is about to be wild if they announce because that essentially gives us P3 conferences and they will have to redo their 12 team playoff plan, maybe just push that to 16 with these power conferences.

I think because ESPN is scared shitless about losing them two to the BIG.....60-40 BIG-SEC

363316567_820710352758618_5163729382879932431_n.jpg

This guy has some connections. FSU’s big NIL fundraiser, Ingraham Smith, follows him. As always, conference realignment talk is speculation until something officially happens so take it with a grain of salt. Ingraham said on last night’s Nolecast that anyone who says they know what is going to happen it talking bs.

Yormark is the Big 12 commissioner

This guy has some connections. FSU’s big NIL fundraiser, Ingraham Smith, follows him. As always, conference realignment talk is speculation until something officially happens so take it with a grain of salt. Ingraham said on last night’s Nolecast that anyone who says they know what is going to happen it talking bs.

Yormark is the Big 12 commissioner

Fvck NC State and Boo Corrigan. Make them suffer in the ACC!

Fvck NC State and Boo Corrigan. Make them suffer in the ACC!

Boo killed the ACC. Quoting Ingraham and Bud last night - Boo’s father made the ACC a serious conference. Swofford did everything he could to kill it and Boo finished the job for him.

Maybe in a few years we will look back and be grateful that this was our ticket out of this garbage conference.

Boo killed the ACC. Quoting Ingraham and Bud last night - Boo’s father made the ACC a serious conference. Swofford did everything he could to kill it and Boo finished the job for him.

Maybe in a few years we will look back and be grateful that this was our ticket out of this garbage conference.
I sure hope something happens soon. A ton of signs pointing to us leaving for BIG and such an announcement would help salve the wounds.

It is also sad for the sport I love most. Big money has corrupted the sport and it is now going to be between 36-38 teams in two super conferences who will always have 9 spots of 12 playoff spots. 3 for the other 80 plus teams. Good for those in the two conferences. Your 3 loss team will always get picked over more worthy 1-2 loss lesser conference teams. Woe to those not in the SEC and BIG.

Between NIL and conference revenue, it may very well kill off college football. You take out some of the bottom feeders in SEC and BIG and you have about 24 teams getting to fight for 9 playoff spots. Basically you have a real great chance of post season team if you have a decent team. Only problem is, that is extremely boring and much of the nation will stop watching and ratings will fall as people move on.

Last edited:
A multi-year process of merging an FSU/Clemson/UNC/UVA-less ACC with the B12 that would culminate at the next round of tv negotiations.

Am I reading this correctly that they're talking about taking everyone BUT those four? I would think that would send them to the SEC...and I would strongly prefer the B1G. Whatever the plan, the ACC isn't financially viable anymore.

A multi-year process of merging an FSU/Clemson/UNC/UVA-less ACC with the B12 that would culminate at the next round of tv negotiations.

Am I reading this correctly that they're talking about taking everyone BUT those four? I would think that would send them to the SEC...and I would strongly prefer the B1G. Whatever the plan, the ACC isn't financially viable anymore.
I think those four will be in the B1G or SEC. I’d much prefer the B1G.

I think those four will be in the B1G or SEC. I’d much prefer the B1G.

Big Ten refs don’t seem to be any better than ACC refs if the Iowa games I’ve watched are any indication. That said, the Big Ten is a thousand times better than the trash ACC.

F the SEC. I want nothing to do with them because that would mean we would still be under ESPN’s thumb.

I hope the B1G reads the T leaves correctly and goes after a couple ACC teams. Would love FSU in the B1G as I'd actually start going to some FSU games :)

I think 24 team mega conferences is the ultimate future....SEC/B1G and b12. In that future gotta grab a couple ACC teams. i'd like FSU/Duke/Miami/Gtech.

I hope the B1G reads the T leaves correctly and goes after a couple ACC teams. Would love FSU in the B1G as I'd actually start going to some FSU games :)

I think 24 team mega conferences is the ultimate future....SEC/B1G and b12. In that future gotta grab a couple ACC teams. i'd like FSU/Duke/Miami/Gtech.
They will. They want the TV footprint of y those areas.

If the B1G is not on the horn with FSU today, they're missing a huge opportunity. Also, might be worth calling UNC, Clemson and Miami (FL) too, just to gauge some interest. I do believe a 24 team super-conference is coming. I think it'll eventually go to (4) pods of 6 teams and look something like this:

West: Washington, Oregon, USC, UCLA, Stanford, Utah
Midwest: Iowa, Nebraska, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Notre Dame, Northwestern
Great Lakes: Michigan, Ohio State, Michigan State, Illinois, Purdue, Indiana
East: Penn State, Rutgers, Maryland, Florida State, North Carolina, Virginia

I put Utah in there even though they just joined the Big XII because their fans have been very vocal about wanting to join the B1G. Even their AD made some off hand comment awhile back about the Big XII being a temporary home or something to that effect.

Last edited:
I doubt the B10 will be proactively contacting anyone quite yet. They're gonna let the ACC sort of get the blow-up process going themselves first.

Gentlemanly "just touching base" conversations maybe...but they're gonna want to see white smoke coming out of the ACC chimneys first.

Reactions: binsfeldcyhawk2
If the B1G is not on the horn with FSU today, they're missing a huge opportunity. Also, might be worth calling UNC, Clemson and Miami (FL) too, just to gauge some interest. I do believe a 24 team super-conference is coming. I think it'll eventually go to (4) pods of 6 teams and look something like this:

I put Utah in there even though they just joined the Big XII because their fans have been very vocal about wanting to join the B1G. Even their AD made some off hand comment awhile back about the Big XII being a temporary home or something to that effect.
I like but flip Northwestern and Illinois considering Northwestern is literally right next to a Great Lake.

If it were that easy to get out of the ACC, it would have happened by now. The only way it happens is through a large-scale conference merger or if a third party with deep pockets and time gets FSU and others out of the GOR. The ACC isn't going to let their bell cows just walk away.
What does GOR mean?

If it were that easy to get out of the ACC, it would have happened by now. The only way it happens is through a large-scale conference merger or if a third party with deep pockets and time gets FSU and others out of the GOR. The ACC isn't going to let their bell cows just walk away.
If the majority of the teams collude and bail at the same time the GOR is out the window. Very real possibility it could be all. Literally all of them could find a home in the B1G/SEC/b12 in pursuit of 24 team conferences.

This might be the best path for them. I think the Big 12 has done enough to establish itself for the long term, but an alliance like this would create an entity that, at least at a quick glance, could compete with the Big 10 and SEC, at least for television sets. Since there would be more schools the individual shares would be less than the Big 10 or SEC, but it would keep them existing. I would also assume that any scheduling contracts would include an exception to the exclusivity they are talking about for Iowa and Iowa State. Not that I, personally, would be upset to see the game go away I know it is important to a lot of Iowans. Plus, since Iowa State has actually become respectable in football the game isn't the lead weight on Iowa's strength of schedule that it used to be. In fact, it might be their best win this year.

All this consolidation means you'll need to subscribe to about 9 streaming services to catch all of your favorite team's games during the year....

Reactions: TheCainer

Jim Delaney would have this done today. Not sure about the new guy, but it should absolutely happen. We are kind of in purgatory next year and going forward with no clear structure to get to the conference championship game. If we have three teams tied at 8-1 for second place, it’s going to be dumb.

Be first. Go big. Set divisions and consolidate as much power as quickly as possible.

Jim Delaney would have this done today. Not sure about the new guy, but it should absolutely happen. We are kind of in purgatory next year and going forward with no clear structure to get to the conference championship game. If we have three teams tied at 8-1 for second place, it’s going to be dumb.

Be first. Go big. Set divisions and consolidate as much power as quickly as possible.
Big Ten is gonna end up with West, Midwest, Mideast and East divisions after they add 2 more teams.

5 per division. You'll play everyone in your division, and everyone in one other, randomly paired, division, each year. Then there'll be a 4 or 8 team "playoff" among the top 1 or 2 in each division pair.

The also-rans will play random opponents, like the NBA In-Season Tournament is set up.

Big Ten is gonna end up with West, Midwest, Mideast and East divisions after they add 2 more teams.

5 per division. You'll play everyone in your division, and everyone in one other, randomly paired, division, each year. Then there'll be a 4 or 8 team "playoff" among the top 1 or 2 in each division pair.

The also-rans will play random opponents, like the NBA In-Season Tournament is set up.

Iowa
Wisconsin
Nebraska
Minnesota
Illinois

There is hope for us yet. Lol.

• Haha
Reactions: Joes Place
That is what those tweets above were about. You have to find landing spots for a majority of ACC teams to as one, leave conference and nullify GOR. That is why people were mad at, looks at notes and says "huh", NC State broke with other teams and voted to allow Cal, Stanford, and SMU in. It makes it even harder now to get enough schools to take plunge.

The thing is, if you really do take the four best programs from ACC and ship them to SEC and/or BIG, the Big 12 "super conference" with PAC and ACC outcasts is worthless and all of those teams are in the mess they are in now. It needs the best of ACC to work.

Not an expert or even know of the feasibility of it all, but the only thing the top schools in new Big 12 and ACC could do is break with their respective conference and form a new one with the best 18-20 schools and open up to the highest bidder for TV rights. See if you can get NBC or Amazon or maybe Apple to take a stab. It would be a brutal blow to ESPN, FOX, CBS-especially if you cut out almost all OC games with those two conferences.

Not sure who those 18-20 teams are but for me it would be:

Big 12/ Pac Survivors
BYU
Kansas
Kansas State
Oklahoma State
TCU
West Virginia
Arizona
Arizona State
Utah
Colorado

ACC
FSU
Clemson
North Carolina
Duke
Virginia
Virginia Tech
Louisville
Ga Tech
Miami
Pittsburg

That is about the only way you could, maybe, get an equal third super conference and open those 12 playoff spots more.

Iowa
Wisconsin
Nebraska
Minnesota
Illinois

There is hope for us yet. Lol.
Unless the Big Ten adds another western team, Nebraska will probably end up with UCLA, USC, Washington and Oregon, LOL

So, sub in Northwestern for Nebraska there... 😎

Reactions: noleclone2
That is what those tweets above were about. You have to find landing spots for a majority of ACC teams to as one, leave conference and nullify GOR. That is why people were mad at, looks at notes and says "huh", NC State broke with other teams and voted to allow Cal, Stanford, and SMU in. It makes it even harder now to get enough schools to take plunge.

The thing is, if you really do take the four best programs from ACC and ship them to SEC, the Big 12 "super conference" is worthless and all of those teams are in the mess they are in now.

Not an expert or even know of the feasibility of it all, but the only thing the top schools in new Big 12 and ACC could do is break with their respective conference and form a new one with the best 18-20 schools and open up to the highest bidder for TV rights. See if you can get NBC or Amazon or maybe Apple to take a stab.

Big 12/ Pac Survivors
BYU
Kansas
Kansas State
Oklahoma State
TCU
West Virginia
Arizona
Arizona State
Utah
Colorado

ACC
FSU
Clemson
North Carolina
Duke
Virginia
Virginia Tech
Louisville
Ga Tech
Miami
Pittsburg

That is about the only way you could, maybe, get an equal third super conference and open those 12 playoff spots more.
Gotcha. Probably no coincidence that the CFP Committee chair is NC State's AD.

Your list above screams "second fiddle" to the SEC and B1G. Very few bluebloods in the list other than Kansas, UNC and Duke is basketball and FSU and Clemson in football. The only way that conference is halfway viable is if we somehow convince Notre Dame to join.

the Big Ten is a thousand times better than the trash ACC.
I'm still not getting this "trash" thing if we're talking sports. The management of the ACC has been abysmal, but the current conference has far more NC's in football and basketball over the past quarter century than the B1G - the ACC has almost as many basketball NC trophies just this century (8) as the B1G or SEC have in their total histories (10/11). Last year across all collegiate sports, the B1G had 3 NC's. The ACC had 8.

That's not trashing the B1G...they command far more sports $$$...but there's no on-the-field reason for that. The ACC has to die...but it's not due to the level of play.

I'm still not getting this "trash" thing if we're talking sports. The management of the ACC has been abysmal, but the current conference has far more NC's in football and basketball over the past quarter century than the B1G - the ACC has almost as many basketball NC trophies just this century (8) as the B1G or SEC have in their total histories (10/11). Last year across all collegiate sports, the B1G had 3 NC's. The ACC had 8.

That's not trashing the B1G...they command far more sports $$$...but there's no on-the-field reason for that. The ACC has to die...but it's not due to the level of play.
I wouldn't call the ACC trash, but for football, to me it appears very top heavy with FSU and Clemson. Just not a lot of depth of quality teams year in and year out. For basketball, it is hard to argue against the success of the ACC with Duke, NC, and then other programs which have flashed such as Virginia, Wake, and FSU. But football is what is driving this, not basketball.

The thing is, if you really do take the four best programs from ACC and ship them to SEC and/or BIG, the Big 12 "super conference" with PAC and ACC outcasts is worthless and all of those teams are in the mess they are in now. It needs the best of ACC to work.

Not an expert or even know of the feasibility of it all, but the only thing the top schools in new Big 12 and ACC could do is break with their respective conference and form a new one with the best 18-20 schools and open up to the highest bidder for TV rights. See if you can get NBC or Amazon or maybe Apple to take a stab. It would be a brutal blow to ESPN, FOX, CBS-especially if you cut out almost all OC games with those two conferences.

Big 12/ Pac Survivors
BYU
Kansas
Kansas State
Oklahoma State
TCU
West Virginia
Arizona
Arizona State
Utah
Colorado

ACC
FSU
Clemson
North Carolina
Duke
Virginia
Virginia Tech
Louisville
Ga Tech
Miami
Pittsburg

The $$$$$ would fall far short of the Big Ten/SEC. There’s no way any school with an offer to join either of those two big leagues wouldn’t immediately accept, which further widens the gap.

I wouldn't call the ACC trash, but for football, to me it appears very top heavy with FSU and Clemson. Just not a lot of depth of quality teams year in and year out. For basketball, it is hard to argue against the success of the ACC with Duke, NC, and then other programs which have flashed such as Virginia, Wake, and FSU. But football is what is driving this, not basketball.

The ACC sucks in every way imaginable. It’s great if you are a moocher school. Most ACC schools are dead weight and live off the revenue that FSU, Clemson and one or two other produce.

Last edited:

Lots of B1G alumni live in Florida and would come to Tally to see their Alma Mater. Large numbers especially in SW Florida.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT