ADVERTISEMENT

Brady Berge

IAChief32

HR Heisman
Apr 21, 2017
Was in a shot, think he took a knee to the head and kind of tried to stop a go behind and just went limp. Ref let the wrestling continue for about 12 secs letting his opponent get him on his back, call the fall, and then finally stopping it to call medical personnel out who ran out onto the mat. Hopefully, he is doing ok as he was all the way out.

Was in a shot, think he took a knee to the head and kind of tried to stop a go behind and just went limp. Ref let the wrestling continue for about 12 secs letting his opponent get him on his back, call the fall, and then finally stopping it to call medical personnel out who ran out onto the mat. Hopefully, he is doing ok as he was all the way out.
Terrible news. I hope he's okay.

Yikes. That doesn’t sound good. Hope he is OK.

Where was this? PSU wrestleoffs?

good lord...how could the refs or anybody not see he was knocked out cold? Hopefully he's okay long term....that post concussion stuff is not fun

I had a hard time also telling he was knock out. Hard call for a ref, not really trained on KO's like MAA and boxing refs

He wasn't knocked out instantly. You can see initially that his opponent was having trouble turning him at first with the chicken wings and BB even moves his head side to side. I see no fault on the ref's part. Over reaction folks.
Shocking that you would say the ref was right. He is out cold at 5:03. You can see his hand flopping back and forth. Not sure how you can defend the ref on this one.

He wasn't knocked out instantly. You can see initially that his opponent was having trouble turning him at first with the chicken wings and BB even moves his head side to side. I see no fault on the ref's part. Over reaction folks.

He wasn’t trying to turn him...he was exposing him for 2 each time with no resistance when he realized he could just turn him over. That was dead weight. Look at his left hand flopping all over the place.

Glad he is doing ok.

Shocking that you would say the ref was right. He is out cold at 5:03. You can see his hand flopping back and forth. Not sure how you can defend the ref on this one.
in real time it's not cut and dry. Nothing terrible happened while he was out. All that matters is he is ok and he appears to be.

I didn't say the ref was right. I just said it was a hard call for the ref. Initially when he missed the shot, he based out on hands and knees. The head didn't flop down for a small period of time. All I am saying is that I can see how the ref missed it at first. I do not fault the ref. It was a delayed knock out - really weird.

Reactions: DirkTang1
Wow! That's pretty brutal. It looked like it easily could/should have been easy to see. He struggled to pull him over due to being a bit sloppy not due to Berge fighting off a move. You could easily see his arm went limp.

I didn't say the ref was right. I just said it was a hard call for the ref. Initially when he missed the shot, he based out on hands and knees. The head didn't flop down for a small period of time. All I am saying is that I can see how the ref missed it at first. I do not fault the ref. It was a delayed knock out - really weird.
Seeing that there is no resistance and no movement is a hard call? It wasn't delayed. It happened as soon as he shot.

That is hard to watch and very scary. Hopefully he and his coaches have him take a while off to let his brain heal before returning to the mat. I certainly wish him the best and hope he has no long term sequellae from that.

Reactions: Inthecircle
You said I see no fault on the refs part. In my version of the English language that means the ref did nothing wrong, or the ref was right. Am I missing something here?!

Cael and Casey were pissed. At least the Hungarian food and sun seem to be agreeing with them.

GettyImages-593232460.jpg

You said I see no fault on the refs part. In my version of the English language that means the ref did nothing wrong, or the ref was right. Am I missing something here?!
Yes, you are missing something here. It doesn't mean he did what was right, it just means that he didn't do what was wrong, I can't blame him for not catching it faster even though catching it faster would have been better. He is not guilty of negligence or incompetency.

We all know in your world the ref is never wrong or at fault

So what’s the deal. Is he alright? People are saying he is, if that’s the case the creators of this video are a$$holes. If you watch the captions during this video it says he was rushed to the hospital and doctors tried to revive him, but were unsuccessful. I almost puked when I read that. I’m still nauseous.

What on earth are you looking at? He was completely out immediately. There was no resistance to his opponent's tilts (trap arm gut not chicken wings). His head was moving because he was completely limp and there were no muscles stabilizing it as his opponent repeatedly tilted him. Just utterly bizarre take here.

Yes, you are missing something here. It doesn't mean he did what was right, it just means that he didn't do what was wrong, I can't blame him for not catching it faster even though catching it faster would have been better. He is not guilty of negligence or incompetency.

You are correct....the ref did nothing wrong......lack of doing.... that was the problem....error of omission.... should have done something IMO. It was not subtle... kid was flopping like rag doll. Not difficult. Even the coaches from opposite angle saw and threw brick before ref interceded.

What on earth are you looking at? He was completely out immediately. There was no resistance to his opponent's tilts (trap arm gut not chicken wings). His head was moving because he was completely limp and there were no muscles stabilizing it as his opponent repeatedly tilted him. Just utterly bizarre take here.
Do you know what a "base" is? Hummmm....I forget to mention that immediately after basing up, he reaches back with the left arm.

Reactions: evashevsky58
Seriously, you are trying to tell me that one can base out while totally unconscience and limp? You better look at that video again.
He wasn't based out. What are you looking at? His opponent was holding him up to tilt him. I feel like I'm in the twilight zone right now.

Am I remembering correctly that you're a former ref? I know we went back and forth about some officiating calls on here a while back. If true, that's scary.

Well heres to Brady getting better fast . Been watching that young man for 10 years or more.
Get well GoldBerge!!

No excuses for the RefJob/hosejob

Last edited:
It does appear that the ref was slow and too far away from the action to be in a position of injury prevention. Not a A for officiating, not an F either - D to C- range from me. You would think better for an International event.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT