ADVERTISEMENT

Brands Interview

The suspense is killing me who is Brands talking to for the HWC job???
Glad to hear they are still behind the women’s program and that TnT are on top of that also.

Where is small p Mineo? He assured us all that funding had run out for the womens team? Either he was wrong yet again or he is calling Tom a liar. Tom is very clear that funding is not and has not been an issue.
And remember if any of the woman do leave, according to Pat its that the funding was cut and that Iowa is lying about it. Not because the athletes are following their coach to another club, as that never happens in sports.

The girls program got cut, Perry got frustrated and left because of it, and Gilman is now leaving because Perry is gone and he knows that TnT are all in on Lee as opposed to him. All according to Fat Mineo.

How refreshing it is having a coach that is so open and forthcoming and speaks his mind and doesn't hold back and actually gives great in-depth information. Every time Tom or Terry open their mouths, it's always a pleasure. It's great to see them nip this situation in the bud and reassure the world that things are rock solid in the Hawk program and there's no intention of slowing down and only continuing the climb to the top.

I am very interested who the two potential HWC coach candidates are as well. Filling Perry's shoes is no small feat but also a great opportunity to get some new blood and have this be a chance to give the HWC a bit of a jolt of interest and momentum as they work toward the future.

Reactions: Grip220

Very impressed by Tom's comments throughout the interview. Also nice to see how up front he was...very evident when addressing the Lee/Gilman relationship: "One thing I will say is Spencer and Gilman were very professional with each other. Not cold but not warm either. But very professional. They would converse and they would talk and they would talk wrestling. It didn’t happen a lot. But that doesn’t have a whole lot to do with it."

Other coaches might have made the relationship sound like it was peaches and cream, but not Tom...tells it how he sees it. Like others, very interested in seeing who replaces Perry...

Honestly, I couldn’t care less about women’s wrestling, Perry or Gilman. All I care about is the new wrestling facility. How’s that going to get setback?

Reactions: SDHN2013 and sabula
Honestly, I couldn’t care less about women’s wrestling, Perry or Gilman. All I care about is the new wrestling facility. How’s that going to get setback?
You don't care about 4 HWC women possibly being on the Olympic team? You don't care about a world silver medalist going to our bitter rival and training with their collegiate lightweights? You don't care about a classy coach going to an up and coming program?

The new facility doesn't mean shit if we can't fill it with world class athletes and coaches.

Reactions: Case I H
You don't care about 4 HWC women possibly being on the Olympic team? You don't care about a world silver medalist going to our bitter rival and training with their collegiate lightweights? You don't care about a classy coach going to an up and coming program?

The new facility doesn't mean shit if we can't fill it with world class athletes and coaches.
And that has changed how exactly? Shit happens and change is constant.

Terry had an excellent interview with Bader on flo tonight after they streamed the Terry film. Basically said happy for Perry. Thought Perry has some ambition to be a head coach on the NCAA level and this would help. Same for Gilman. No bridges burnt, mutual love and Gilmans fiancé is from penn and might be a factor in wanting to start a family there. Women’s funding ISN’T cut, looking to add women, and possibly a woman coach.

Reactions: Spoons
Covid19, NCAAs canceled, tax deadline next week, TG and MP moving on....this post eases the pain. Nice work.

Tax deadline? What rock have you been living under? July 15 dude. Automatic extension for all, the payments due are also extended with no interest or penalty.

In case anyone pays estimates, the second quarter estimates just got delayed also to 7/15.

There's nothing wrong with change, I didn't say that. But not caring about six world class wrestling elites potentially departing is asinine.
It might be to you, others opinions will vary.

For me personally, I care about the University of Iowa Wrestling Team, and only that, so losing Perry and Gilman isn't great but it sure as hell isn't some disaster, even to the HWC.

The potential loss of any of the Women has zero effect on the University of Iowa Wrestling Team, so whatever.

For me personally, I care about the University of Iowa Wrestling Team, and only that, so losing Perry and Gilman isn't great but it sure as hell isn't some disaster, even to the HWC.

The potential loss of any of the Women has zero effect on the University of Iowa Wrestling Team, so whatever.
Forrest trains with Spencer...

Iowa just can't always keep around, in or connected to the program ALL of the great wrestlers who went thru the Iowa program, no matter how great they were or fan favorites. There are just too many of them. Going way back to the Banachs and Barry Davis... the list is huge. These guys have ambitions and Iowa can't meet everyone of them's desire to maybe stay connected to the program. It happens, we move on.

We all care about the U of I program, but we should care about the HWC as well. At this stage, the program and the club feed off each other and they make each other better. TnT know this, that's why they've pushed so hard to rebuild it.

And stop underselling and down playing the importance of the women. Having elite caliber talent involved with a wrestling team is a must, regardless of gender.

I don't think this is a disaster, I never said that nor did I hint at it, but it's also not an easy fix. TG and MP were heavily involved with our collegiate athletes. TG was a huge motivator for these guys.

You keep reading into words that aren't there.

I noticed both Tom and Terry left room for differences in opinions. Both said something to the effect of “the way I feel” or “from my perspective” in reference to Perry, Gilman, and the women wrestlers. The facts can appear differently depending on which shoes are being walked in.

I noticed both Tom and Terry left room for differences in opinions. Both said something to the effect of “the way I feel” or “from my perspective” in reference to Perry, Gilman, and the women wrestlers. The facts can appear differently depending on which shoes are being walked in.

You’re trying really hard to defend a guy who’s universally recognized as a troll. Odd, to say the least.

We all care about the U of I program, but we should care about the HWC as well. At this stage, the program and the club feed off each other and they make each other better. TnT know this, that's why they've pushed so hard to rebuild it.

And stop underselling and down playing the importance of the women. Having elite caliber talent involved with a wrestling team is a must, regardless of gender.

I don't think this is a disaster, I never said that nor did I hint at it, but it's also not an easy fix. TG and MP were heavily involved with our collegiate athletes. TG was a huge motivator for these guys.

You keep reading into words that aren't there.
Oh please. The women are a feel good story, they have their own goals and Olympic aspirations and good for them, I wish them all well, but they have no benefit to Iowa Men's Wrestling in any way, shape or form.

I was born at night, but it wasn't last night.

Oh please. The women are a feel good story, they have their own goals and Olympic aspirations and good for them, I wish them all well, but they have no benefit to Iowa Men's Wrestling in any way, shape or form.

Incredibly ignorant and unnecessary comment. You don't think having world class athletes in the room helps the program? Do you think the only thing that matters is whether the women can give the college guys tough go's? The women wrestlers are an incredible locker room asset and they're awesome mentors to the younger guys on the team. One of the universally acknowledged observations people have made about the difference between the current team (which would have walked to a title this year) and the past teams who failed to do so is the team dynamic. This team is a family. It has incredible chemistry and love for one another. If you don't think the women in the HWC are a part of that, you're a sad fool and luckily don't have a role in determining the direction of the program and the sport more broadly.

Our sport is much stronger with the women being a part of it. Folks like you would watch the sport circle the drain because you don't feel women's wrestling is worthy of your support.

You're being a real asshole the past two days.
Potentially having 4 Olympic women doesn't benefit the HWC in any way shape or form? Now you're being real ignorant as well.

You’re trying really hard to defend a guy who’s universally recognized as a troll. Odd, to say the least.
I think we can all agree there are lots of odd things these days, but I’m not defending anyone. No one on this board should wonder why only the “a-holes” and “d-bags” post anything newsworthy. Folks are too obsessed with the messenger or the fan base, or feel that our guys (or gals) should never face criticism. For all the complaining about keeping politics off this boards we certainly have plenty of political behavior.

Incredibly ignorant and unnecessary comment. You don't think having world class athletes in the room helps the program? Do you think the only thing that matters is whether the women can give the college guys tough go's? The women wrestlers are an incredible locker room asset and they're awesome mentors to the younger guys on the team. One of the universally acknowledged observations people have made about the difference between the current team (which would have walked to a title this year) and the past teams who failed to do so is the team dynamic. This team is a family. It has incredible chemistry and love for one another. If you don't think the women in the HWC are a part of that, you're a sad fool and luckily don't have a role in determining the direction of the program and the sport more broadly.

Our sport is much stronger with the women being a part of it. Folks like you would watch the sport circle the drain because you don't feel women's wrestling is worthy of your support.
Whoa settle down there champ. Im sorry not everyone on here are huge womens wrestling fans. I personally coldn’t give a damn about womens wrestling. My most humblest apologies to you.

I think we can all agree there are lots of odd things these days, but I’m not defending anyone. No one on this board should wonder why only the “a-holes” and “d-bags” post anything newsworthy. Folks are too obsessed with the messenger or the fan base, or feel that our guys (or gals) should never face criticism. For all the complaining about keeping politics off this boards we certainly have plenty of political behavior.

Hey if you want to side with the established troll vs the word of those actually involved, that’s your prerogative.

This is a short sighted viewpoint in my opinion. Women’s wrestling offers the most overall growth opportunity for college wrestling in general. It gives schools who may want to add wrestling (men’s and women’s) the opportunity because of Title IX. If you don’t think it helps Iowa then that’s your opinion but having a strong college wrestling system is good for everyone.

Whoa settle down there champ. Im sorry not everyone on here are huge womens wrestling fans. I personally coldn’t give a damn about womens wrestling. My most humblest apologies to you.
You don't have to be a big fan of women's wrestling, but they deserve our respect and support especially while they're competing under the HWC banner.
I'm far from a feminist, but womens wrestling is wrestling. It's a movement that is happening and it's only going to help grow the sport as a whole. And that's extremely important.

I'd never tell my niece, daughter, granddaughter or anyone girl out there that "I don't give a damn about women's wrestling"

So don't condescend with humble apologies.

I you are Gilman and you follow your fiancé who is a wrestler to a different state, I would say the women do have an effect. In a world where environment matters and the training is very similar, the little things like having women around can make a difference. I am not saying it is huge, but it matters.

Hey if you want to side with the established troll vs the word of those actually involved, that’s your prerogative.
I think you’re purposely missing the forest for the trees, and that’s your prerogative. The words of those involved, at least what has been published, end in the same result.

I find it commendable and appropriate that Tom and Terry went on the record with Track and Flo, but if everyone was truly on the same page they should have gotten out in front of this thing and issued an official and comprehensive statement. Instead it hints at a different perception.

I’m not angry or trying to be divisive, I’m just tired of the same old crap.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT