ADVERTISEMENT

Brands interview

so cal hawkfan

HR All-American
Jun 5, 2012
Whittier CA
Tom said he does not have any wrestlers adding onto the roster for the 2nd semester (Anthony or AJ). He also said if it was up to Ben Keuter he would’ve been added to the roster yesterday. Doesn’t sound like he’s going to be on the roster right away. Sounds like it’s a wait and see. The reporters are so afraid of Brands and can’t ask him the questions everyone wants to know.

Tom said he does not have any wrestlers adding onto the roster for the 2nd semester (Anthony or AJ). He also said if it was up to Ben Keuter he would’ve been added to the roster yesterday. Doesn’t sound like he’s going to be on the roster right away. Sounds like it’s a wait and see. The reporters are so afraid of Brands and can’t ask him the questions everyone wants to know.
Reporters arent the only ones intimidated by TB. I think this is one of a few poor characteristics of leadership. Its certainly necessary at times but not all the time……refs, table judges, parents, and where i think its not a benefit…with his wrestlers snd coaches. Its not a good characteristic to lead a program imo

If this wasn't already obvious, it became blatantly obvious after soldier salute.

Reporters arent the only ones intimidated by TB. I think this is one of a few poor characteristics of leadership. Its certainly necessary at times but not all the time……refs, table judges, parents, and where i think its not a benefit…with his wrestlers snd coaches. Its not a good characteristic to lead a program imo
He’s got some really great qualities, but he seems super angry and annoyed by the questions, so all the reporters end up asking benign nothing questions without any substance. Interviewer: Coach now that Rathjen is the guy at 149, what are you telling him as far as taking control of the spot? Brands: Do what you do best. 🤦🏻‍♂️
Interviewer: Coach, Gabe Arnold has competed up at 184 and at 174, he’s said he’s been willing to do what the team needs. Seeing him compete at up at 184 at the Cy Hawk Duals is that something we can maybe expect to see in the future? Brands: He’s an enthusiastic competitor and we love it. 🤦🏻‍♂️ Tough interview

Roster or lineup for Kueter? I haven’t seen the interview in full, but Ben is listed on the roster on the team’s website.

Reactions: mcpat
Roster or lineup for Kueter? I haven’t seen the interview in full, but Ben is listed on the roster on the team’s website.
Interviewer: Tom with the second semester starting up do you expect any additional roster additions to the roster here for the second half of the season?
Brands: What do you mean, I mean ask the specific question.
Interviewer: Do you have any wrestlers joining the roster for the second semester

Brands: We do not at this moment

Reactions: Gusaford
Link to the interview? Doesn't even sound worth watching tbh. It's unfathomable how the reporters won't do the basics, and how Brands avoids addressing any of it.

Interviewer: Tom with the second semester starting up do you expect any additional roster additions to the roster here for the second half of the season?
Brands: What do you mean, I mean ask the specific question.
Interviewer: Do you have any wrestlers joining the roster for the second semester

Brands: We do not at this moment
Would have paid money to have the reporter repeat his first specific question word for word.

At this moment. 😂 Prepare for the gun show, because the Flex Express is in route.

• Haha
Reactions: Squarehat
The reporters are so afraid of Brands and can’t ask him the questions everyone wants to know.
They asked the questions I most wanted asked. They asked specifically about AJ, even asking him to comment on what he can't. Tom declined. They asked about new additions on the roster this semester. They asked questions from every angle on whether Ben would be wrestling HWT, and when.

Reactions: BGon4ND
Link to the interview? Doesn't even sound worth watching tbh. It's unfathomable how the reporters won't do the basics, and how Brands avoids addressing any of it.
It’s on Flo and YouTube. It’s not very long and he doesn’t say much. A lot of word salad. You would be the most qualified on here to translate word salad. Amiright? 😉

<<I think the big takeaway is Anthony Ferrari is committed to Iowa (he announced over the summer) and isn’t on the roster. It’s pretty telling to me.>>

My takeaway is the second semester hasnt started yet and he cant comment on who might or might not join the team.

I thought you could ask about a specific recruit, but he can't bring it up.

Is AJ and Anthony Ferrari going to be on the roster 2nd semester? And he could say yes, no or maybe. That is what I thought he meant by be more specifc.

<<I thought you could ask about a specific recruit, but he can't bring it up>>

Can definitely ask 😜.. but Brands nor any coach can talk about specifics..could he say maybe, probably-- but he could say that every year.

If he isn't the starter at 149 then it'd be foolish to burn his redshirt, for Iowa or for Anthony.
Why not keep the shirt, stay with the program and get better? Adding an athlete to the official roster doesn’t automatically burn his shirt. Keuter, Arnold, Fenton, Petersen, Greble and Block are all still redshirt freshmen despite being on the roster.

Why not keep the shirt, stay with the program and get better? Adding an athlete to the official roster doesn’t automatically burn his shirt. Keuter, Arnold, Fenton, Petersen, Greble and Block are all still redshirt freshmen despite being on the roster.

I don't think he's going anywhere and will be at Iowa eventually, but he also isn't enrolled in school yet (AFAIK, not in the student directory at least) so it would also depend if he wants to go to classes second semester even if he isn't wrestling. You aren't going to be on the roster if you aren't actually enrolled in school.

Reactions: ikS and 12tdsaw
I'm not worried about reporters asking questions. The AD and the boosters should ask those questions.

The lack of individual champions at a program with Iowa's pedigree is a sore spot for me.

Forget the team race now.
Totally agree! At the end of the day, their employees of the state which we pay taxes into not to mention donations to the program. He Tom Brands could be a lot more transparent and not hurt any strategies for the season. He just decides to be an ass. Love the hawks loved watching the Brands compete really can’t stand watching them Coach.

I thought you could ask about a specific recruit, but he can't bring it up.

Is AJ and Anthony Ferrari going to be on the roster 2nd semester? And he could say yes, no or maybe. That is what I thought he meant by be more specifc.
Maybe he just doesn't know enough to say anything. If he responds "maybe" what have we really gained?

<He just decides to be an ass. Love the hawks loved watching the Brands compete really can’t stand watching them Coach.>>

But maybe you could tolerate it a bit the 4 titles he won as a coach?

Last edited:
Reactions: T8KUDWN
<<I think the big takeaway is Anthony Ferrari is committed to Iowa (he announced over the summer) and isn’t on the roster. It’s pretty telling to me.>>

My takeaway is the second semester hasnt started yet and he cant comment on who might or might not join the team.
That would have been a better answer than the one he gave.

Reactions: el dub
Key words-- at this moment.

Tom or any other cocach can NOT comment on any potential athlete that "might" join the program.
But they can comment on who they are currently recruiting, right?

Is this statement incorrect?

"a member institution may comment publicly only to the extent of confirming its recruitment of the prospective student-athlete. The institution may not comment generally about the prospective student-athlete's ability or the contribution that the prospective student-athlete might make to the institution's team; further, the institution is precluded from commenting in any manner as to the likelihood of the prospective student-athlete committing to or signing with that institution."​
If true, it would be nice to say whether Iowa is or is not still recruiting AJ.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT