ADVERTISEMENT

BREAKING: Lisa Bluder announces retirement

Was this ever rumored in the last year that this would be her last year?
Seems like it came out of nowhere.
Sounds like it was a Nick Saban sort of thing. Left for vacation with the spouse, had time to dwell on things, came back and let the AD know the time was now. Can't blame her.....she's given everything she has to the university.

Why wait til May? It’s gonna be so much harder to fill her spot, unless there’s already a plan in place to fill her shoes. How do you get Deal / Olsen commit and then say you’re done? Is there maybe a health issue?
I'm guessing there is already a plan in place or it's an unexpected health issue.

From UI statement, comments from Jan Jensen:

Jan Jensen, who has served the last 20 years as the associate head coach under Coach Bluder, has been named the program’s sixth head coach by Henry B. and Patricia B. Tippie Director of Athletics Chair Beth Goetz. Jensen has more than 30 years of collegiate coaching experience, working alongside Bluder the past 24 years at Iowa and eight at Drake University.

“It is bittersweet news for all of us who love the University of Iowa and who have incredible admiration and respect for what Coach Bluder has accomplished and for how she did it. Lisa has left an indelible mark on this program, touched countless lives, and brought joy to all who know and love the Hawkeyes. Words can’t appropriately express the gratitude I share with so many for the impact she has made on the game of women’s basketball and the University of Iowa.” said Henry B. and Patricia B. Tippie Director of Athletics Chair Beth Goetz. “While we are saddened that she will no longer lead our young women on the court, we are thankful for what she has given to all of us and are comforted knowing she will continue to be our biggest champion and fan.”

Among her many accolades, Bluder was named the Naismith Coach of the Year (2019), was a three-time Big Ten Coach of the Year (2001, 2008, 2010), four-time regional coach of the year (2001, 2008, 2018, 2019), and the Carol Eckman Award winner (2015) in addition to being an inductee into the Des Moines Register Hall of Fame (2016), the Quad City Times Hall of Fame (2012), the Linn-Mar Athletic Hall of Fame (2008) and the Northern Iowa Hall of Fame (2000). Bluder amassed 884 career wins, 10th most in NCAA women’s basketball history.

“I am thrilled to share with you that current Associate Head Coach Jan Jensen has agreed to become the next P. Sue Beckwith, MD, Head Women’s Basketball Coach. This program has always been about family, and the contributions to its incredible culture are shared by alums, current, student-athletes and the entire staff. One of those contributors has been in the team circle for 24 years as a tireless recruiter, skilled teacher of the game, and charismatic personality that has endeared her to the Hawkeye community. Coach Jensen has been an instrumental part of our success, assisting in all aspects of the program. After several conversations with Coach Bluder and President Wilson over the last few days, it is clear that everything that we are seeking in a head coach, we have found right here.”

Why wait til May? It’s gonna be so much harder to fill her spot, unless there’s already a plan in place to fill her shoes. How do you get Deal / Olsen commit and then say you’re done? Is there maybe a health issue?
I’m hoping she only waited thinking Jansen would be named interim or else has an idea of another candidate on the horizon that she feels would be an ideal fit (maybe Baranczyk has expressed interest to her?). Obviously the replacement isn’t up to her, but I have a hard time believing she’d leave us hanging high and dry like this. Hoping there is not a health issue as well.

Reactions: anon_salmfilsntd0b
As an avid follower of women's basketball for 1.5 years, I have a lot of strong opinions about who should replace Bluder. We need someone that will recruit good players and put them in a position to win a lot of basketball games. Those are the most important qualities for the search committee to consider, IMO.

From UI statement, comments from Jan Jensen:

Jan Jensen, who has served the last 20 years as the associate head coach under Coach Bluder, has been named the program’s sixth head coach by Henry B. and Patricia B. Tippie Director of Athletics Chair Beth Goetz. Jensen has more than 30 years of collegiate coaching experience, working alongside Bluder the past 24 years at Iowa and eight at Drake University.

“It is bittersweet news for all of us who love the University of Iowa and who have incredible admiration and respect for what Coach Bluder has accomplished and for how she did it. Lisa has left an indelible mark on this program, touched countless lives, and brought joy to all who know and love the Hawkeyes. Words can’t appropriately express the gratitude I share with so many for the impact she has made on the game of women’s basketball and the University of Iowa.” said Henry B. and Patricia B. Tippie Director of Athletics Chair Beth Goetz. “While we are saddened that she will no longer lead our young women on the court, we are thankful for what she has given to all of us and are comforted knowing she will continue to be our biggest champion and fan.”

Among her many accolades, Bluder was named the Naismith Coach of the Year (2019), was a three-time Big Ten Coach of the Year (2001, 2008, 2010), four-time regional coach of the year (2001, 2008, 2018, 2019), and the Carol Eckman Award winner (2015) in addition to being an inductee into the Des Moines Register Hall of Fame (2016), the Quad City Times Hall of Fame (2012), the Linn-Mar Athletic Hall of Fame (2008) and the Northern Iowa Hall of Fame (2000). Bluder amassed 884 career wins, 10th most in NCAA women’s basketball history.

“I am thrilled to share with you that current Associate Head Coach Jan Jensen has agreed to become the next P. Sue Beckwith, MD, Head Women’s Basketball Coach. This program has always been about family, and the contributions to its incredible culture are shared by alums, current, student-athletes and the entire staff. One of those contributors has been in the team circle for 24 years as a tireless recruiter, skilled teacher of the game, and charismatic personality that has endeared her to the Hawkeye community. Coach Jensen has been an instrumental part of our success, assisting in all aspects of the program. After several conversations with Coach Bluder and President Wilson over the last few days, it is clear that everything that we are seeking in a head coach, we have found right here.”
Reassuring Jimmy Fallon GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

Guess that answers my question lol

As an avid follower of women's basketball for 1.5 years, I have a lot of strong opinions about who should replace Bluder. We need someone that will recruit good players and put them in a position to win a lot of basketball games. Those are the most important qualities for the search committee to consider, IMO.
The "search" was over days ago......

23 minutes.

Is this the fastest hire in history?

3:30 pm: The Iowa WBB program announces that the Head Coach has retired

3:53 pm: The Iowa WBB program announces the next Head Coach
Again. Its obvious by reading Beth's statement that this has been an ongoing discussion for sometime, and Jan was considered the best option going forward. Its not like they decided today.......

Reactions: cyberhawk
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT