ADVERTISEMENT

Brennan Marion

Well that's easy, you have to have the same opinions as he does.
I just put two and two together - you’re the dude who was poo-pooing at the $100k the Swarm raised on Wednesday - while not contributing a dime.

It’s wild that you guys think you can constantly bitch about the program and downplay every effort being made to improve it but cry when you get called out for it.

The best part was the dude last night ‘lashing out’ at a comment that wasn’t directed at him, and telling me to go f myself while calling me an asshole and insufferable prick. Then the same poster turns around and says, “People like you aren't improving the discourse by lashing out and calling people names” 15 minute later.

Talk about a lack of self-awareness lol.

Seems to be a lot of speculation going on, and nothing to report, I’m shocked!
Don’t worry, there will be a new hire soon, then everyone can continue complaining about the OC. Just another day in Hawkeye land. It’s good to be a Hawk, we have the best “fans!”
Speculation on a message forum... noooooooo waaaayyyyyy.

Reactions: Bierhalter
I think Eric Bienemy is looking for a new job....

Happy Football GIF by Washington Commanders

Reactions: OutbackBowl2017
I honestly don‘t believe that Kirk Ferentz thinks his offense needs improvement, he just needs it run “correctly” by the OC and players. Brian Ferentz ran it correctly, but was done in by injuries and “outside forces”.

I mean, they won 10 games and a big ten west championship, right?
That type of offense is fine. Iowa just needs a better OC that knows how to exploit weaknesses, run more misdirection and they need a better route philosophy.

This is the way I read Marion's CV. Yes, he takes a new job every year, but it's been either to a higher level of responsibility (WR coach to OC) or to a higher competitive level (FCS to G5 to P5). I assume these moves are by his choice because why, for example, would Texas hire him as a co-OC + WR role if Pittsburgh felt he wasn't doing a good job. This is what career advancement looks like for many good coaches. The next logical step is OC (plus WR coach?) at a P5 program. If successful, then the next step after that would be head coach (or NFL).

We're not used to seeing this at Iowa because of the mutual loyalty between Kirk and most of his coaches, but a lot of coaches around the country are career strivers and there's nothing inherently wrong with that.
I'd like to see more change at OC moving forward. I think it's healthy to mix up how a teams offense is run from time to time.

You know, I just thought that everybody would get that my “theory” about KF waiting so he could rehire BF was supposed to be a joke. I guess that will teach me.
Any idiot might guess that it was a joke. Most idiots anyway. 🙄

Another point I haven’t seen much. KF is the dean of college football. A young coach with HC dreams would certainly learn a great deal from him regardless of how you feel about every move he has made.
So get a really well paying job that’s teaching you how to have success. Look at Seth Wallace for example, assistant head coach now, valuable training.
Absorb as much knowledge from every stop. Adapt your own beliefs. That would be a recipe for success in my book.
Philbin, has nothing to gain other than money and joy of coaching… these young guys can really gain a great deal from a school like iowa
There will be fallout from this.

Depends.

The $$$ will be enticing, but working for a nearly 70 year old HC means you're looking for another job in a few years.

A younger coach probably won't want to uproot his family in 2-3 years.

Hopefully this crap is settled soon.
If you do a good job, you take over when KF retires.

He’s working his way up the ranks. Iowa has enough buying power to keep other teams from outbidding their current staff. Any OC that does a good job at iowa will either stay or looking for head coaching job. And I am certain that would be a good thing.
Would it suck for the head coach to have to go through it again all the time, yes.
Saban had many coaches leave for HC jobs and I feel like many had some success. Thats never a bad thing for a program unless they are the one you want to be the next HC
Fry too. He wanted guys that were motivated to move up in the coaching ranks to become head coaches…..Beilema, Alvarez, Snyder, Stoops, KF, and McCarney. I don’t see that with KF other than Philbin who was the head coach at an NFL team in Miami. Seems he prefers a yes man when it come to offense.

Fry too. He wanted guys that were motivated to move up in the coaching ranks to become head coaches…..Beilema, Alvarez, Snyder, Stoops, KF, and McCarney. I don’t see that with KF other than Philbin who was the head coach at an NFL team in Miami. Seems he prefers a yes man when it come to offense.
Agreed.
The rumors of Marion started Sunday night or Monday morning? Would have been hired by now. So Kirk is definitely looking at an NFL guy.
Now that doesn’t mean yes man.. but prolly gonna be a yes man…

That type of offense is fine. Iowa just needs a better OC that knows how to exploit weaknesses, run more misdirection and they need a better route philosophy.
Our offense is similar in scheme to many pro teams. My observation about Brian was his inability to make adjustments as the game progressed. We alway seemed to have a good drive early. The defense makes adjustments and he couldn't adjust on the fly. Against Penn State, a turnover in the red zone was a killer. Same thing happened againsy Michigan and Tennessee. We may not have won those games but we alway play better from the front.

An OC who is a better play caller on the field should be a key component for the team.

Last edited:
Reactions: SI_NYC
I just put two and two together - you’re the dude who was poo-pooing at the $100k the Swarm raised on Wednesday - while not contributing a dime.

It’s wild that you guys think you can constantly bitch about the program and downplay every effort being made to improve it but cry when you get called out for it.

The best part was the dude last night ‘lashing out’ at a comment that wasn’t directed at him, and telling me to go f myself while calling me an asshole and insufferable prick. Then the same poster turns around and says, “People like you aren't improving the discourse by lashing out and calling people names” 15 minute later.

Talk about a lack of self-awareness lol.
You nailed it, he's done nothing to ever make the program any better. He buys a T-shirt now and then and thinks he's Dale Howard.

I think I remember seeing that KP started following Marion on Twitter not too long ago, right? Along with other players on the Iowa football team.

And then we officially learned that KP is transferring to Iowa about an hour ago.

That smoke smell is getting a bit stronger, methinks.

pirates-pirates-of-the-carribesn.gif

Reactions: cm8124
Agreed.
The rumors of Marion started Sunday night or Monday morning? Would have been hired by now. So Kirk is definitely looking at an NFL guy.
Now that doesn’t mean yes man.. but prolly gonna be a yes man…
Can we stop with baseless guessing on this thread? Again, funny shit or facts!

Our offense is similar in scheme to many pro teams. My observation about Brian was his inability to make adjustments as the game progressed. We alway seemed to have a good drive early. The defense makes adjustments and he couldn't adjust on the fly. Against Penn State, a turnover in the red zone was a killer. Same thing happened againsy Michigan and Tennessee. We may not have won those games but we alway play better from the front.

An OC who is a better play caller on the field should be a key component for the team.
Agreed on the ability to make adjustments. When watching the Michigan Alabama game it was apparent the coaching staffs kept adjusting as the game progressed which led to momentum swings. It was cool to see. When Brian would get stumped, he had no response to how the opposing defense had adjusted.

Last edited:
Is that a picture of yourself in your avatar? If so...then how are YOU passing on this girl? You look like Adrien Brody and Jay Leno had an albino bastard child.
When you live in Minnesota, most look like an albino in the winter 😳 It also appears you are not familiar with sarcasm.

Can we stop with baseless guessing on this thread? Again, funny shit or facts!
With all due respect, and I mean with all due respect. I’ll do all the baseless guessing I want. But it wasn’t baseless. Pretty much every media member is saying they think it’s down to NFL guy… I didn’t state that.

I think I remember seeing that KP started following Marion on Twitter not too long ago, right? Along with other players on the Iowa football team.

And then we officially learned that KP is transferring to Iowa about an hour ago.

That smoke smell is getting a bit stronger, methinks.

pirates-pirates-of-the-carribesn.gif
I think smoke is just smoke. If it’s taking this long I’d say it’s not happening. But who knows

Are we overlooking that he may just be the WR coach and not the OC? It has to be posted for 2 weeks but maybe they have that position nailed down.

Polasek was OC at NDSU and came here to coach OL. Maybe Kirk pulled off a similar move again.

Are we overlooking that he may just be the WR coach and not the OC? It has to be posted for 2 weeks but maybe they have that position nailed down.

Polasek was OC at NDSU and came here to coach OL. Maybe Kirk pulled off a similar move again.
Certainly possible. But he has been looked at by several schools as OC and HC even a few times. He’s already been a positional coach at P5 level. He’s looking for the next step IMO, and it may or may not be here.. who knows

Reactions: ButtersHawk
What becomes concerning is he only stays for 1 year and moves on...or is not encouraged to stay.

No thanks! Just gets more depressing. I don't know if this is the bottom of the barrel, but I bet you can see it.
I see someone who has quickly looked to better their situation. All of those appear to be good promotions.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT