ADVERTISEMENT

Brennan Marion

You think it is just that easy? Let's put your theory to the test with players. Should will fill the roster with MAC players? Why not? How many players have you seen choose a sun belt team over a SEC or B10 team?? Why? How about real world, because someone manged a convenience store, should they then manage a fortune 500 company? Why not? Again, going from OC in a lesser (for lack of a better term) conf, to wr coach in a power 2 school is a step up. It is reflected in the pay difference. It is higher pressure, and you have to step up your game in every way. Majors > minors
Dude, I don’t give a crap how you see it. The guy is an OC at UNLV and had a great year. It would be stupid for him to simply grab a wr coaching position at this point in his career because it is more money. I think he wants to be an OC so you are saying he should take a wr position at Iowa because it is more money? That doesn’t advance his career. He has been there one season. I get it, you think he should give up being an OC to be the WR coach at Iowa. I think that would not be smart if he wants to advance his career as an OC. Take your scenarios up with someone else. I don’t care. 😂

I am sure this is less about scheme and more about cultural fit. Likely someone who has already been an OC. Almost 100 FBS OC's that would certainly take the call to discuss. Obviously we would have a fairly short list, but the options just at the college level are immense. Add the NFL (likely not a current OC of course) and its a tanker truck.

The biggest shift we need to make is on the recruiting front IMO. Must have true dual threat QB's all the time. Never, ever a cement shoes like Deacon. And we must over recruit the WR position, walk ons from small town midwest are not going to cut it. How many LB's do we really need? Need more pass catchers. We could also use some bigger WR's.

Dude, I don’t give a crap how you see it. The guy is an OC at UNLV and had a great year. It would be stupid for him to simply grab a wr coaching position at this point in his career because it is more money. I think he wants to be an OC so you are saying he should take a wr position at Iowa because it is more money? That doesn’t advance his career. He has been there one season. I get it, you think he should give up being an OC to be the WR coach at Iowa. I think that would not be smart if he wants to advance his career as an OC. Take your scenarios up with someone else. I don’t care. 😂
Yeah I agree with you. Unless he some how thought that would put him in a good spot to take over as OC if the Iowa's next OC they're looking at being eventual next head coach.

I think he would make a good wr coach. I also think our wr coach position pays more then he is making. I also think it would move him into an important role at a P5 (really P2 now) school. I think I would sign him to a 3-5 year contract, because he likes to move around. If he is committed and sees where this P2 thing is going, he would be smart to take the wr coaching job. But these are just things that make sense to me and what I think. (Like it matters). However, this also depends on the OC position, because they might have someone in mind for the wr coaching position. So, I guess we will just have to wait and see what happens. Think of it like Christmas morning and just hope you don't get socks.
The WR coaching position at Iowa might be one of the worst in college football as it stands today. Copeland might have failed at it, but talk about operating against a stacked deck. I cannot imagine anyone having success as an OC at an FBS institution today being even remotely interested in the Iowa WR position.

Last edited:
Reactions: FireBrianFerentz
Right. I hope you do not have that philosophy in your personal life. I did not say I wanted him as Iowas WR coach. I said I think he would be good at it. But back to your philosophy. If money were not an object, would you rather your kid go to Iowa or another major University or to tiny town college? Why? Majors > Minors It is as simple as that. Yeah he can stay where he is and hopefully keep doing great at OC and maybe someday a bottom feeder team in a major conference will give him a shot at OC without cutting his teeth in a major conference (how much p5 experience in any position does he have??). Maybe we can bring in a smaller college coach to be the wr coach, oh wait we tried that and now we are looking again. And that was just a wr coach (so a little expected), not the OC. Maybe we will find 10 OL in the minors who can come in and start on day one too. His P5 resume Pitt as a wr coach, 1 year, Texas 1 year as a wr coach. (neither one of those had a head coaching change or anything other then advancement as the reason for leaving. That we know about)

Wasn't he already a WR coach at both Pitt and Texas? Yeah, coaches don't leave that to be a successful OC and then come back to it. That would be a highly unusual step back for someone with ambition like Marion. He could be an amazing OC at Iowa, if only KF could get out of his own way.

Given the dire situation on Iowa's offense, KF has the latitude to take big swings here, and can change up the horrible reputation/perception of the program with recruits, but KF is going to KF.

Reactions: FireBrianFerentz
Hey I was the biggest advocate to thinking this guy might be it… but it’s been too long since this all started coming about, and the “experts” have stated it’s likely not him. We all prolly need to forget about him at this point.
Let’s move on to the next thread of the next name that comes up lol

Wasn't he already a WR coach at both Pitt and Texas? Yeah, coaches don't leave that to be a successful OC and then come back to it. That would be a highly unusual step back for someone with ambition like Marion. He could be an amazing OC at Iowa, if only KF could get out of his own way.

Given the dire situation on Iowa's offense, KF has the latitude to take big swings here, and can change up the horrible reputation/perception of the program with recruits, but KF is going to KF.
AGAIN and Kelton could be an amazing wr coach at Iowa too. We could find 20 players in minor colleges to come in and start too. The fact is he has 2 years at 2 different schools as a wr coach as P5 experience. Does that seem like something you want to open up the check book for and give the keys to Iowa's offence over to? I am honestly asking. Because I heard a ton of people saying BF did not have the experience or was not qualified and his resume is better. Coached TE in the NFL and was successful. Coached OL and TE in a P5 school for half dozen years or so and was successful. So I guess I am asking which is it? What is your stance here on the subject?

Maybe, or maybe after discussions he decided to look elsewhere. I don't know anymore than the guy claiming KF somehow picked some OC's and they declined. Maybe he even decided on someone who said, I need a bit o
It sure seems like Paul Chryst said no thanks to the job, but again, who knows?

Reactions: Bishop-71
AGAIN and Kelton could be an amazing wr coach at Iowa too. We could find 20 players in minor colleges to come in and start too. The fact is he has 2 years at 2 different schools as a wr coach as P5 experience. Does that seem like something you want to open up the check book for and give the keys to Iowa's offence over to? I am honestly asking. Because I heard a ton of people saying BF did not have the experience or was not qualified and his resume is better. Coached TE in the NFL and was successful. Coached OL and TE in a P5 school for half dozen years or so and was successful. So I guess I am asking which is it? What is your stance here on the subject?
First, I agree Marion isn't happening here, so it's not really worth a lot of energy, but stance on the subject?
Brannon Marion has been a successful OC. Brian Ferentz had never been one at the time of his hire. That seems the essential thing on the resume.

Regardless, like many fans, I was open to what Brian might bring. There was a lot of optimism based on the TE success in the NFL. He failed. We move on.

Given half or more of the problem is attracting offensive talent to the program, who do you think realistically can help turn that page for Iowa?

I heard that the next OC might be some guy named Godot, but in the meantime we’ll just have to keep waiting.

My friend Horton is claiming to have insight as to who the next OC is going to be.
He said he’d tell me when he hears who.

Reactions: bumper52
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT