ADVERTISEMENT

Brennan Marion

bumper52

HR All-State
Nov 25, 2019
I just have a couple questions regarding his hype in all of this. Ok, so I read the comments about him and some of our players on social media. I’m way out of the loop when it comes to Facebook, twitter , etc. Is that something that is common? I mean players from one school communicating with a coach from another school? Also, did Marion or the players initiate the contact? Seems kinda weird to me. I’m all for him as a hire, but that would be Kirk going way out of the box, as far as offensive schemes go. And, if Kirk really had total control of the offense, I have to believe Marion would say say “No thank you.”

I just have a couple questions regarding his hype in all of this. Ok, so I read the comments about him and some of our players on social media. I’m way out of the loop when it comes to Facebook, twitter , etc. Is that something that is common? I mean players from one school communicating with a coach from another school? Also, did Marion or the players initiate the contact? Seems kinda weird to me. I’m all for him as a hire, but that would be Kirk going way out of the box, as far as offensive schemes go. And, if Kirk really had total control of the offense, I have to believe Marion would say say “No thank you.”
He's worked short time gigs at a lot of places so a couple years with Kirk at a P5 school, and 7 digit salary might look pretty good.

Reactions: Stoopsbrother
He's worked short time gigs at a lot of places so a couple years with Kirk at a P5 school, and 7 digit salary might look pretty good.
I see your point. It just doesn’t make a lot of sense that a coach who has a rather unique offense ( the Go Go) would end up Iowa City.
But money talks.

So far just following him and his liking the Iowa AD hire. I cannot say when these players followed him. Could have been recruiting from their HS days. I did see that Proctor followed him this week (according to one outlet) which would be WAY too much of a coincidence to me. Also, he is very motivating and came from nothing so his story getting out there players might just follow him because he seems like a good dude.
The likings rhe Iowa AD hire is also very telling to me. Since it’s been in the rumor mill for all week, if it’s him I can’t imagine it takes much longer. If no word by Monday I’d say it was all random.
Hope that helps

When you're one of, apparently, few options, you're bargaining power increases dramatically.
We're all getting the vibe that no one wants to work for KF.
This isn't the right take. I think KF is being selective in who HE actually wants to come coach as OC. There are probably 75 current OC's in the country in college football that would want to come here.

This isn't the right take. I think KF is being selective in who HE actually wants to come coach as OC. There are probably 75 current OC's in the country in college football that would want to come here.
Depends.

The $$$ will be enticing, but working for a nearly 70 year old HC means you're looking for another job in a few years.

A younger coach probably won't want to uproot his family in 2-3 years.

Hopefully this crap is settled soon.

• Haha
Reactions: Hawktagonapus
Maybe there are 75 current OCs in college football who want to be told what offense they’re going to run, and exactly how they’ll be running, but I kind of doubt it.

We have literally the worst offense in college football. Why would anybody, unless they’re doubling or tripling their current salary, want to come and be the face of that?

• Haha
Reactions: Hawktagonapus
There are probably 75 current OC's in the country in college football that would want to come here.

giphy.gif

Maybe there are 75 current OCs in college football who want to be told what offense they’re going to run, and exactly how they’ll be running, but I kind of doubt it.

We have literally the worst offense in college football. Why would anybody, unless they’re doubling or tripling their current salary, want to come and be the face of that?
Maybe, just maybe, someone is going to try improve the offense.

So far just following him and his liking the Iowa AD hire. I cannot say when these players followed him. Could have been recruiting from their HS days. I did see that Proctor followed him this week (according to one outlet) which would be WAY too much of a coincidence to me. Also, he is very motivating and came from nothing so his story getting out there players might just follow him because he seems like a good dude.
The likings rhe Iowa AD hire is also very telling to me. Since it’s been in the rumor mill for all week, if it’s him I can’t imagine it takes much longer. If no word by Monday I’d say it was all random.
Hope that helps
Yeah, after hearing him interviewed a few times it wouldn't surprise me that players want to follow him regardless of affiliation. He has an ingrained motivational aspect to his personality. A players coach.

Kirk Ferentz hiring an OC like this Brennan Marion is the definition of the term "oxymoron."

I just do not see it happening. Sorry.

Reactions: obfuscating
I never "got" the whole fascination with pole dancing. "Hey look! I'm like one of those sluts who dances for lonely guys with dollar bills."

Not sexy.
But you went didn’t you? Just like going to watch the Hawks grind out 86 yards of total offense….lol

Depends.

The $$$ will be enticing, but working for a nearly 70 year old HC means you're looking for another job in a few years.

Why not? He already does that.

• Arizona State (2015)
    Offensive quality control assistant
  • Oklahoma Baptist (2016)
    Running backs coach
  • Howard (2017–2018)
    Offensive coordinator & quarterbacks coach
  • William & Mary (2019)
  • Hawaii (2020)
    Wide receivers coach
  • Pittsburgh (2021)
    Wide receivers coach
  • Texas (2022)
    Pass game coordinator & wide receivers coach
  • UNLV (2023–present)

Don't think it matters who we hire. As long as Kirk is at the helm, our offense will be about as sexy as a Mongolian bikini contest.
I keep hearing this from podcasts by media, etc.

I’m starting to think this is like an easy talking point.

It sounds introspective somehow, but really has no firm basis in reality - that they know of for sure. It’s easy to say that the OC will be limited, because this is Kirks offense.

But the reality is the people saying this have absolutely no ****ing clue whatsoever of any of the details that go in to practices, planning, etc. It’s just something to say that has a very high level appeal because it’s safe.

I would ask such ppl:

OK give me a specific example or two of how this has manifested on the field. Be very specific. Date / time / details / who said what when on the field or in a meeting. If you don’t really have information that proves any of this, then please stop ****ing saying this over and over again we are ****ing sick of it.

Why not? He already does that.

• Arizona State (2015)
    Offensive quality control assistant
  • Oklahoma Baptist (2016)
    Running backs coach
  • Howard (2017–2018)
  • William & Mary (2019)
  • Hawaii (2020)
    Wide receivers coach
  • Pittsburgh (2021)
    Wide receivers coach
  • Texas (2022)
    Pass game coordinator & wide receivers coach
  • UNLV (2023–present)
What becomes concerning is he only stays for 1 year and moves on...or is not encouraged to stay.

No thanks! Just gets more depressing. I don't know if this is the bottom of the barrel, but I bet you can see it.

Maybe, just maybe, someone is going to try improve the offense.
I honestly don‘t believe that Kirk Ferentz thinks his offense needs improvement, he just needs it run “correctly” by the OC and players. Brian Ferentz ran it correctly, but was done in by injuries and “outside forces”.

I mean, they won 10 games and a big ten west championship, right?

I honestly don‘t believe that Kirk Ferentz thinks his offense needs improvement, he just needs it run “correctly” by the OC and players. Brian Ferentz ran it correctly, but was done in by injuries and “outside forces”.

I mean, they won 10 games and a big ten west championship, right?
Jesus, dude. You don't like KF. WE. GET. IT.

You don't have to keep posting the same dumb, pointless shit in every thread:

Screenshot-2024-01-19-at-1-00-06-PM.png

What becomes concerning is he only stays for 1 year and moves on...or is not encouraged to stay.

No thanks! Just gets more depressing. I don't know if this is the bottom of the barrel, but I bet you can see it.
He’s working his way up the ranks. Iowa has enough buying power to keep other teams from outbidding their current staff. Any OC that does a good job at iowa will either stay or looking for head coaching job. And I am certain that would be a good thing.
Would it suck for the head coach to have to go through it again all the time, yes.
Saban had many coaches leave for HC jobs and I feel like many had some success. Thats never a bad thing for a program unless they are the one you want to be the next HC

But you went didn’t you? Just like going to watch the Hawks grind out 86 yards of total offense….lol
Nope. Went once or twice with the boys and just didn't see the thrill in it. The strip club, that is. I'm still holding out hope for the offense. ;)

Reactions: OutbackBowl2017
Depends.

Better to uproot a young family than teenagers. Kids adapt. And being an OC for Big10 team with the money is great on the resume & bank account / family security.

Better to uproot a young family than teenagers. Kids adapt. And being an OC for Big10 team with the money is great on the resume & bank account / family security.
Another point I haven’t seen much. KF is the dean of college football. A young coach with HC dreams would certainly learn a great deal from him regardless of how you feel about every move he has made.
So get a really well paying job that’s teaching you how to have success. Look at Seth Wallace for example, assistant head coach now, valuable training.
Absorb as much knowledge from every stop. Adapt your own beliefs. That would be a recipe for success in my book.
Philbin, has nothing to gain other than money and joy of coaching… these young guys can really gain a great deal from a school like iowa

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT