ADVERTISEMENT

Brian Ferentz and Iowa

Is there any other school in the country besides Iowa, that wouldn’t have fired Brian Ferentz by now? This is borderline insanity that the man still has his job. This is a historical level of ineptitude.
Yep. It’s a joke. As we’ve discussed numerous times.

I have no idea what Beth Goetz will do after the season, but I do know the decision process would be aided considerably by a lack of financial support from big-time donors and alum.

I remember hearing Kirk once say that at Iowa, they don't fire coordinators. Iowa will not make public when someone is let go -- they will go behind the scenes and "encourage" the person to leave for "other opportunities". However, in Brian's case, the problem is intensified because he is family. Kirk has put himself in an awkward position and now, like many others, is bound and determined to make it work. Obviously, that's why they hit the portal as hard as they did this year after rarely taking players in the previous two years. They thought McNamara, Alt, Brown, Anderson, etc. would make a significant difference along with a more experienced offensive line and a stable of promising young running backs. Injuries have hurt, but even when they were reasonably healthy with a soft non-conference schedule, they did not show much. For Kirk, there isn't any graceful way out of this mess. The offense is rock bottom with no signs that it will get better. Recruiting skill positions, especially QB and WR, while never really an Iowa strength, will become extremely difficult. The situation has become a national punchline and it is sad to see this happen after all the good things Kirk has done throughout the years. Unfortunately we have seen this type of scenario unfold at other schools when a coach hasn't moved on or changed with the times.

I remember hearing Kirk once say that at Iowa, they don't fire coordinators. Iowa will not make public when someone is let go -- they will go behind the scenes and "encourage" the person to leave for "other opportunities". However, in Brian's case, the problem is intensified because he is family. Kirk has put himself in an awkward position and now, like many others, is bound and determined to make it work. Obviously, that's why they hit the portal as hard as they did this year after rarely taking players in the previous two years. They thought McNamara, Alt, Brown, Anderson, etc. would make a significant difference along with a more experienced offensive line and a stable of promising young running backs. Injuries have hurt, but even when they were reasonably healthy with a soft non-conference schedule, they did not show much. For Kirk, there isn't any graceful way out of this mess. The offense is rock bottom with no signs that it will get better. Recruiting skill positions, especially QB and WR, while never really an Iowa strength, will become extremely difficult. The situation has become a national punchline and it is sad to see this happen after all the good things Kirk has done throughout the years. Unfortunately we have seen this type of scenario unfold at other schools when a coach hasn't moved on or changed with the times.
Saw this disaster unfolding the day that KF promoted his boy to OC. Nepotism is a really, really bad thing. KF went all-in with a very high risk hire with no way out, and all he has done is continued to double-down on the dumb trying to fix things, like someone who made a bad bet and is trying to win it back by betting more and more. It's become an unmitigated failure. I blame GB as much as anyone for enabling this. What a sh*t-show...

Is there any other school in the country besides Iowa, that wouldn’t have fired Brian Ferentz by now? This is borderline insanity that the man still has his job. This is a historical level of ineptitude.
Have we not discussed this in 100 other posts??

Stupid post just like your answer.
Charlie Day Ok GIF

Reactions: TRHawkeye145
Saw this disaster unfolding the day that KF promoted his boy to OC. Nepotism is a really, really bad thing. KF went all-in with a very high risk hire with no way out, and all he has done is continued to double-down on the dumb trying to fix things, like someone who made a bad bet and is trying to win it back by betting more and more. It's become an unmitigated failure. I blame GB as much as anyone for enabling this. What a sh*t-show...
Exactamundo!

Reactions: Greenway4Prez
Why would Kirk fire Brian when Brian is doing exactly what Kirk wants him to do?

Yep. It’s a joke. As we’ve discussed numerous times.

I have no idea what Beth Goetz will do after the season, but I do know the decision process would be aided considerably by a lack of financial support from big-time donors and alum.
there is way..assuming she gets the job...that her first move would be to retain him. There is just no way.

Beth Goetz needs to put on her management hat pretty damn quick.
She can't, really (actually she can, but won't).

It is highly unlikely as an interim AD that she would fire either Kirk or Brian. A permanent AD (be it Beth or someone else), won't be named until several months into 2024.....WAY too late for a coaching change.

So, unless Kirk and/or Brian leave on their own, they will both be back next season.

If Kirk doesn't fire his son I wonder if there is a precedent of an AD stepping in to fire a coordinator for performance?
Well since in this case Brian "supposedly" reports directly to the AD, I would think no precedent would be needed.......

Have we not discussed this in 100 other posts??
Yes, which begs the question. Since this board AND the national media all are hitting this hard we need this fixed but why hasn’t it be addressed?
1) Because the father son relationship,
2) Father could be a hall of fame coach
3) The athletic directors past and present (who reportedly are BF’s boss) won’t pull the trigger and take care of the MULTIPLE YEAR performance problem.

Another question is: Would I fire my own son? Seriously, I most likely would not and this is why BF was to report to the AD.

It’s become laughable now.

Been saying this since last year. But to answer your question, no. No other school in the country would still be employing BF as OC.

Thats why it’s such a horrible look on KF and the University in regard to nepotism. Never seen anything like it in this scale.

Going forward, I predict that KF’s nepotism will be a case study in HR classes in business schools, just as the “New Coke“ disaster of a change by Coca Cola in the 80s has been a case study in marketing classes since the 80s.

Last edited:
The definition of insanity is…

starting a Bye week at a normal School that has standards the OC would be out and a new starting QB would be taking all the 1's reps the next 2 weeks . Iowa, nope it will be that tree stump Hill starting again and We just have to clean some things up and execute better with stereo Birds to the entire Fanbase . Kirks history of not knowing how to put His best QB on the field is well documented, Banks, Stanzi , Beathard ect ect . Iowa has no clue how to mange the QB room and that is all Kirk just like it was all Kirk to hire His Son for a job He was not qualified for and has failed in.

If Brian somehow keeps his job at the end of this season - then there is only 1 way the fans can persuade a change and that is to simply not buy tickets next year until a change is made. As long as the stadium sells out and millions upon millions of dollars fill the University's pockets than it's business as usual.. When do we all get fed up with Kirk sticking his middle finger right up our asses?

I am surprised this subject has never been mentioned.
With all due respect, the reason the offensive catastrophe and the nepotism that has led to it are brought up repeatedly is because Iowa fans are continually astounded at how it has been allowed to continue. Every time the Iowa offense puts its historic level of ineptitude on display, fans are understandably left scratching their heads and wondering, “Why in the HELL is nothing being done to put someone competent in charge?!?!”

This shouldn’t be surprising. When people are continually baffled by something that makes absolutely no sense, they naturally tend to bring it up repeatedly.

With all due respect, the reason the offensive catastrophe and the nepotism that has led to it are brought up repeatedly is because Iowa fans are continually astounded at how it has been allowed to continue. Every time the Iowa offense puts its historic level of ineptitude on display, fans are understandably left scratching their heads and wondering, “Why in the HELL is nothing being done to put someone competent in charge?!?!”

This shouldn’t be surprising. When people are continually baffled by something that makes absolutely no sense, they naturally tend to bring it up repeatedly.
Exactly. It's definitely perplexing.

Reactions: WWDMHawkeye
If Brian somehow keeps his job at the end of this season - then there is only 1 way the fans can persuade a change and that is to simply not buy tickets next year until a change is made. As long as the stadium sells out and millions upon millions of dollars fill the University's pockets than it's business as usual.. When do we all get fed up with Kirk sticking his middle finger right up our asses?
Iowa fans that buy tickets and donate to the university love it, apparently.

I had enough after the 2021 ass kicking in Indianapolis and won’t be going to a game again until both Ferentzes are gone.

Yes, which begs the question. Since this board AND the national media all are hitting this hard we need this fixed but why hasn’t it be addressed?
1) Because the father son relationship,
2) Father could be a hall of fame coach
3) The athletic directors past and present (who reportedly are BF’s boss) won’t pull the trigger and take care of the MULTIPLE YEAR performance problem.

Another question is: Would I fire my own son? Seriously, I most likely would not and this is why BF was to report to the AD.

It’s become laughable now.
At this point it's child abuse. Maybe we should call child services and report Kirk.

Very good comments.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT