ADVERTISEMENT

New Story Brian Ferentz Had Better Be Right

Iowa State had a spread offense and how did they do? Their offense killed their defense too and primarily because their OL sucked also. Yeah I know they fired their OC, but the scheme will be the same.

A spread offense does not fix a problem with the OL. Show me a spread team with a bad OL that was really any good in 2022.
Iowa State was 83rd in the country in total offense. We have Iowa State’s spread offense we are 10 and 2 and possibly playing in a rose bowl!!!! Iowa fans would have done unforgivable things to have Iowa State’s offense last year!

Iowa State was 83rd in the country in total offense. We have Iowa State’s spread offense we are 10 and 2 and possibly playing in a rose bowl!!!! Iowa fans would have done unforgivable things to have Iowa State’s offense last year!

And so if we only have the 83rd ranked offense in 2023, you will cheer it? Extend Brian's contract!

We would not have won any more games than we did. Turnovers absolutely killed us against Iowa State and Nebraska. You take away those turnovers and we win those two games right there. Or does a spread formation offset high turnover games also?

Reactions: hawkeyebob62
As much as we make fun of ISU least Cambell isn't afraid of trying to improve his team. Just think they had 83rd ranked offense and they fire the long time OC who has been coaching with Campbell for over a decade since his days at Toledo. If Iowa finishes 83rd we reward our OC with a contract renewal which would be the highest ranked offense in BF's 7 years. We have the 100th ranked offense last season we most likely finish at least 9-3, maybe 10-2.

From the article : "We're going to do the same things, and we're going to do them better." I'll give him this much credit - he's stayed true to his promise they're going to do the same thing. The second part, not so much. So now, they're starting to line up.

chicken GIF by floatingwoo

let me ask people this, have you ever seen so many passes bounce off receivers facemasks like we have the last 4 years? (Happened again on Saturday vs Minn) Or bounce off their hands?

It happens every game.

Two schools of thought:

1) Iowa Coaches: “Hits their hands, should have been caught!!! Receivers fault!!! Derp.”

2) Me and others: Throw early, throw with touch, maybe 80%, throw accurate, the receiver can not only catch it but hell maybe even in stride and turn up field!

How about receivers having to make an acrobatic motion/leap/etc to even catch the ball? We have seen this for the last 4 years. RB only 5-7 yards away, acrobat catch, have to gather their feet, defense closes and drills them.

Watch other programs offenses…good QBs will throw early, throw accurate, receiver catches in stride, huge YAC.

Tell me, is this what you see at Iowa?

Justin Herbert on the biggest change he had to make to his game to play in the NFL.

“I had to work on slowing down my passes.” - Justin Herbert

Why o why would an NFL franchise work with him on slowing down his passes? Hmm.

I wonder why the Chargers thought this was important?

Justin Herbert:
NFL records
  • Most passing touchdowns by a rookie quarterback: 31
  • Most passing yards per game by a rookie quarterback: 289.1
  • Most completions by a rookie quarterback: 396

Last edited:
Let’s do a Poll.

Did the Chargers work with Justin Herbert to slow down his passes because:

A) to become more accurate
B) to complete more passes
C) to allow receivers a better opportunity to run after the catch
D) all of the above

Reactions: intrepodor
And so if we only have the 83rd ranked offense in 2023, you will cheer it? Extend Brian's contract!

We would not have won any more games than we did. Turnovers absolutely killed us against Iowa State and Nebraska. You take away those turnovers and we win those two games right there. Or does a spread formation offset high turnover games also?
Can we have the 83rd ranked offense in the country Pistachio?!?!?

The Hawks simply weren't capable of doing anything on the offensive side of the football. Period. Playing calling didn't matter a whole lot, because they weren't any good at anything. Scrutinizing offensive tendencies is a waste of time.

Block, throw, catch - only if those things improve does strategy matter.
Great analysis here. No reason to question the offensive scheme or tendencies.

I guess the worst offense in College Football cannot get much worse, but, maybe it can

But, for me, it’s the biggest opportunity to flip (the offense). That’s what I get fired up about. Please, just keep on saying it’s the sh*ttiest offense in college football. Please just think we are gonna be so shitty next year. Please.

— Cade McNamara on Iowa’s offense, via The Room
This thread is full of a lot of fun stuff. Good to read through again

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT