ADVERTISEMENT

New Story Brian Ferentz Had Better Be Right

I would hope I would not that be that arrogant and defiant, but possess a modicum of humility after being arguably the worst offensive coordinator in the nation the last couple years. I could see that attitude if people had unrealistic expectations. That would induce some angst. But it's not wrong for the fan base (who ultimately pays the bills) to complain because they can't even get mediocre from this guy.

The only way, I mean the only way I can understand this behavior is if my father was completely thwarting my efforts by refusing to let me coordinate the offense, my job. But from what I hear Brian thinks this is the winning way, lol.

It's shocking he has his job. I doubt I'll see the likes of it again in my lifetime.
Don't follow much of the goings-on in DC, huh?

Reactions: cmhawks99
I figured you were up scouting the Mighty Waldorf scrimmage. You know, that offensive juggernaut that scored 7 points or less in 4 of their last 7 games!
Looking forward to the new season. No Pro Style/Stretch to watch up there. A win-win scenario.

<<Need a Spread to level the playing field>>

Wrong.
If they aren’t going to change the scheme, which they won’t, they need to look at what happened to produce these outputs from three of the five position groups offensively. You put those three groups together in an offense and you get iowa 2022.

So a team that can't execute in it's current offense WILL be able to execute in Spread? Wow, didn't know that.

He’s hopeless…..This Waldorf thing is baffling. A normal person would double check the other scores on a teams schedule, before extolling a teams virtues…not just by the rare game where they scored a bunch vs an overmatched opponent!

Petras starting the last two years makes me believe in conspiracy theories! There isn’t one good reason he was playing and a coach of Ferentz’ tenure continuing to throw him out there with zero success is just impossible for a reasonable person to understand. There has to be a non-football reason!!
KF is all about loyalty but sometimes it’s a liability because he is loyal to a fault with certain guys. We’ve seen rewards of it and how KF loves nothing better than walk on becoming a starter. But other times we see him stick with guys like Petras or I remember DB Castillo whose dad is a pro coach and keeps trotting them out there and burnt in games. Or sticking with Weismann and not playing other pure rbs more.

It’s hindsight now but absolutely zero excuse for not bringing in someone last year to compete for starting qb job. They knew SP flaws and being most important position in the game but KF didn’t even think twice about it. He just has some weird man crush on SP.

• Haha
Reactions: HawkOn15
The 54-21 and 48-3 wins were fun and those in attendance didn't need eyedrops after the games.

Undoubtedly, and lucky you, you didn’t go when they lost, 3-69 or 7-50 or 14-35 or say…0-13?!

What about the 7-3 win, how was that game? Did you use your eye drops!! What a dumbass analogy!!

You should be embarrassed!

Undoubtedly, and lucky you, you didn’t go when they lost, 3-69 or 7-50 or 14-35 or say…0-13?!

What about the 7-3 win, how was that game? Did you use your eye drops!! What a dumbass analogy!!

You should be embarrassed!
Wasn't there.
Followed the box scores.
Friends had kids on the roster which was why I started following Warrior FB.
The actual watching games up there is an option for THIS fall, IF the Ferentzi Special offensive Offense proves to once again be too hazardous to eye health.
And once again, this would be only a short term deal until the Ferentzi had ridden off into the sunset and our offense entered the 20th/21st Century.

• Haha
KF is all about loyalty but sometimes it’s a liability because he is loyal to a fault with certain guys. We’ve seen rewards of it and how KF loves nothing better than walk on becoming a starter. But other times we see him stick with guys like Petras or I remember DB Castillo whose dad is a pro coach and keeps trotting them out there and burnt in games. Or sticking with Weismann and not playing other pure rbs more.

It’s hindsight now but absolutely zero excuse for not bringing in someone last year to compete for starting qb job. They knew SP flaws and being most important position in the game but KF didn’t even think twice about it. He just has some weird man crush on SP.
You just crystallized something I’d forgotten. This board actually used to be worse!! We routinely questioned ALL our coaches and who we played! Now the focus is consistently BF sucks…May need to keep him around.

Castillo wasn’t a terrific DB, but I’m not sure he didn’t actually make the Chiefs roster for a season and we really didn’t have anyone better his one season of starting, that I remember….

Example A) of KF greatly improving the depth and talent of the Defense over the last 10 years and I’ve pointed it out routinely !

Mark was a vastly, grossly even, under appreciated Player who actually helped us a great deal. He was here in a stretch where all those supposedly superior Rbers we’re getting hurt or flunking out of school regularly…

Ps….before his speed gets mentioned (His 10 yd split was quite fast) he could get to the edge, but a completely unblocked outside zone isn’t a good recipe for a guy who wasn’t a cut back runner…

But again, until BF showed all our coaches got shade….Even PP & Norm!

The portal thing we agree 100% on, OL & QB both. BIG blunder there!

Wasn't there.
Followed the box scores.
Friends had kids on the roster which was why I started following Warrior FB.
The actual watching games up there is an option for THIS fall, IF the Ferentzi Special offensive Offense proves to once again be too hazardous to eye health.
And once again, this would be only a short term deal until the Ferentzi had ridden off into the sunset and our offense entered the 20th/21st Century.
Of course you weren’t there or you would have never used such a dumb comparison. On a positive note, you don’t want for much. If our offense isn’t better this year, than the miserable one Waldorf fielded last year, it would suck!!

Of course you weren’t there or you would have never used such a dumb comparison. On a positive note, you don’t want for much. If our offense isn’t better this year, than the miserable one Waldorf fielded last year, it would suck!!
The drop off in production might correspond with injuries. Don't know as I didn't hollow Waldorf that close. The precipitous drop off from the early season is not indicative of a flawed Offensive scheme.
New coach and I very much doubt the program will regress to Pro Style (who runs that anymore).

• Haha
The drop off in production might correspond with injuries. Don't know as I didn't hollow Waldorf that close. The precipitous drop off from the early season is not indicative of a flawed Offensive scheme.
New coach and I very much doubt the program will regress to Pro Style (who runs that anymore).

Lol….of course not, it’s poor execution!

Reactions: desihawk

Who were the QBs that portalled last season? I don't even recall who the ones were that moved to other teams.

Who were the QBs that portalled last season? I don't even recall who the ones were that moved to other teams.
Just like this year plenty of them available. We had a spot to even fill with hogan leaving. I’m not saying Iowa could’ve gotten a clear cut better player. However for depth and competition why not try and bring someone in. Because after 20 games give or take it was pretty clear Petras wasn’t that great when it came to his play on the field.

Just like this year plenty of them available. We had a spot to even fill with hogan leaving. I’m not saying Iowa could’ve gotten a clear cut better player. However for depth and competition why not try and bring someone in. Because after 20 games give or take it was pretty clear Petras wasn’t that great when it came to his play on the field.
Only one I can think of off hand was Penix from Indiana and when we played them I was not that impressed. Obviously when he went to Huskies he played better.

And Armpunt Junior at Nebraska went to K State, but from what everyone stated his girlfriend was there, and we know the power women have over men.

Does the strategy for getting a QB change for good? Do we pull someone in the portal more often now than trying to identify a guy in high school and develop him?

JFC, when are you guys going to realize that the problem was the line, not whoever was playing QB? If the line is as bad this year, look for McNamara to look not much better than Petras or Padilla.

JFC, when are you guys going to realize that the problem was the line, not whoever was playing QB? If the line is as bad this year, look for McNamara to look not much better than Petras or Padilla.
The line was bad. The QB was bad. The receiving corps was bad. The OC was bad. You don't get an offense that bad without a lot of contributions from different individuals.

The practices last fall between our OL and our DL must have been blood bathes and Kirk could see there was no immediate fixing it.

As a public service for our program, I went over to CornNation and tried to trade Junior Ferentz to them for 3 Runzas.
Not only was I turned down flat but they made it crystal clear the scorn/contempt they have for Junior. Quite the replies.
With that said, i at least tried to improve our program by subtraction, since the NFL apparently doesn't want him, nor do enlightened posters on here.

As a public service for our program, I went over to CornNation and tried to trade Junior Ferentz to them for 3 Runzas.
Not only was I turned down flat but they made it crystal clear the scorn/contempt they have for Junior. Quite the replies.
With that said, i at least tried to improve our program by subtraction, since the NFL apparently doesn't want him, nor do enlightened posters on here.
Nebraska fans love Brian. Not many coordinators come out throwing the ball against a Nebraska defense that couldn't stop the run. But we sure did last year!

Idiot reporters/writers like Adam Jacobi are part of why fans remain so ignorant about football. Take the time to actually learn about what you are paid to write about
Becomes an opinion piece as soon as scheme is mentioned. Idk, maybe that's the intent.

Maybe scheme is part of the the problem, maybe not. But if you want to question Iowa's offense, do a little digging first. Ask a few coaches (experts) what they think of Iowa's scheme. A couple might say the scheme is lacking. But certainly, a couple will say that scheme is not the issue at Iowa. The divided opinion, along with about 50 years of success from similar schemes (containing principles that have worked for 150 years) renders immediate mention of scheme to be quite a leap.

Same scheme that put up 55 vs OSU just a handful of years ago. Has the game completely changed since 2017? No. There are several far more relevant questions to be asked before a leap to scheme is made. Such as, what part of the scheme hasn't been clicking and contributing to a lack of offensive production? How can it be fixed? How much was the development of the offensive line stunted by COVID, loss of Doyle, and attrition? Is there a way to create more of a push up front, or is only time needed for the OL to get stronger and more experienced? If it comes to it, would compromising the D be worth it to improve the O? If not, can the O be improved without compromising the D. If so, how much? Can recruiting be optimized in the new NIL landscape? Etc.

It becomes even more of an opinion piece and the writer takes an even bigger leap with the mention of spread offense. And Wisconsin is offered as a poor example. Just earlier in this thread Wisconsin was mentioned as having had tried and true method. So they have traded that in for something that may or may not get to that level of success. Yes, what Fickell does has worked. But will it work at Wisconsin, and how soon? Part of the reason Wisconsin might be down a bit for a couple years is teams like Iowa (with their broken scheme) beat them last year.

So the writer gave his opinion that scheme is the problem with Iowa's offense. Then followed it up with his opinion that spread is the answer. No actual reporting done here. For one thing, his opinion is wrong. Iowa would not be able to transition to spread without significantly compromising the D. Why would anybody want that? I hope everyone can agree that compromising the D is not an option.

The stats given in the article are misleading. Yes, 2nd and 1 opens up the playbook. But a shot play has a better chance to be executed when there actually is a statistical tendency for a run.

Looking deeper at the 2nd and 1's, Iowa faced this situation 13 times (by my count), including the bowl game, and not including a FG attempt vs ISU as time expired.
-2 opportunities were 2nd and goal from the 1. And 1 opportunity was 2nd and 1 from the opponent's 4 yd line. An open playbook does not apply to these 3 opportunities, as there is very little field to work with.
-2 opportunities were a tendency breaking reverse to Bruce.
-So that leaves 8 2nd and 1's where the defense may have been able to gain an edge through high predictably in the offense. Of these 8 plays the defense was able to hold Iowa to no gain on 2 of the carries. The other 6 went for first downs.
Iowa may be predictable in this spot, but what's it matter if the defense isn't able to take advantage of it. It's quite a meaningless stat.

The only thing that can be said from the 2nd and 1 numbers is Iowa is leaving some opportunities on the table to take some shots at splash plays. It fits easily into the narrative that Iowa is too conservative. But on the other hand, Iowa unsuccessfully threw the ball on far too many first downs. This kept them from being able to move the chains (keeping the O on the field), encountering more 2nd and shorts, and kept them from having more plays and opportunities in general to score and take shots at splash plays. Not nearly conservative enough overall, in my opinion.

It should be disclosed that Iowa lost a fumble on one of the 2nd and goals. But I wouldn't give much of that credit to predictability. Predictability is already higher in goalline situations. Furthermore, the play was a tendency breaking give to Pottebaum.

I don't see anything overly questionable about the 3rd and 4th down stats. Maybe in the NFL they throw slightly more frequently in those spots. But they also have world class skill players.

So I'm not really sure why these stats were provided. I can only assume that they were to support the "too conservative" narrative. But again, not everyone shares that opinion.

I happen to think that BF, GD, and KOK have all consistently been far too cute in many of Iowa's biggest moments. And I happen to pay enough attention to have instantly known to look deeper into the 2nd and 1 stat, by way of vividly remembering screaming at the TV when Iowa lost 4 yards on a reverse to Bruce on a 2nd and 1 vs ISU. It was a huge spot in the game that in
no uncertain terms Iowa should have pounded the rock. I'm not so sure that Iowa doesn't win that game if that play call was a traditional run. Regardless, imo there were MANY short-yardage spots last season where Iowa failed to help out its O-line by simply pounding the rock.

The game is simple. It's won up front. Why do you think literally everything on offense worked vs NW last season, when almost nothing had worked the entire season leading up to that game? The answer is easy. Iowa was able to win up front vs NW.

Have people NEVER heard an expert say that football is won at the line of scrimmage? Why is this truth not enough? Why do people have to turn it into all sorts of this and that?

Definition of insanity. Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
Not Iowa's plan at all.

They are attempting to do the things that will allow them to execute and produce better. Doing these things well is not the same as doing things poorly over and over

Becomes an opinion piece as soon as scheme is mentioned. Idk, maybe that's the intent.

Maybe scheme is part of the the problem, maybe not. But if you want to question Iowa's offense, do a little digging first. Ask a few coaches (experts) what they think of Iowa's scheme. A couple might say the scheme is lacking. But certainly, a couple will say that scheme is not the issue at Iowa. The divided opinion, along with about 50 years of success from similar schemes (containing principles that have worked for 150 years) renders immediate mention of scheme to be quite a leap.

Same scheme that put up 55 vs OSU just a handful of years ago. Has the game completely changed since 2017? No. There are several far more relevant questions to be asked before a leap to scheme is made. Such as, what part of the scheme hasn't been clicking and contributing to a lack of offensive production? How can it be fixed? How much was the development of the offensive line stunted by COVID, loss of Doyle, and attrition? Is there a way to create more of a push up front, or is only time needed for the OL to get stronger and more experienced? If it comes to it, would compromising the D be worth it to improve the O? If not, can the O be improved without compromising the D. If so, how much? Can recruiting be optimized in the new NIL landscape? Etc.

It becomes even more of an opinion piece and the writer takes an even bigger leap with the mention of spread offense. And Wisconsin is offered as a poor example. Just earlier in this thread Wisconsin was mentioned as having had tried and true method. So they have traded that in for something that may or may not get to that level of success. Yes, what Fickell does has worked. But will it work at Wisconsin, and how soon? Part of the reason Wisconsin might be down a bit for a couple years is teams like Iowa (with their broken scheme) beat them last year.

So the writer gave his opinion that scheme is the problem with Iowa's offense. Then followed it up with his opinion that spread is the answer. No actual reporting done here. For one thing, his opinion is wrong. Iowa would not be able to transition to spread without significantly compromising the D. Why would anybody want that? I hope everyone can agree that compromising the D is not an option.

The stats given in the article are misleading. Yes, 2nd and 1 opens up the playbook. But a shot play has a better chance to be executed when there actually is a statistical tendency for a run.

Looking deeper at the 2nd and 1's, Iowa faced this situation 13 times (by my count), including the bowl game, and not including a FG attempt vs ISU as time expired.
-2 opportunities were 2nd and goal from the 1. And 1 opportunity was 2nd and 1 from the opponent's 4 yd line. An open playbook does not apply to these 3 opportunities, as there is very little field to work with.
-2 opportunities were a tendency breaking reverse to Bruce.
-So that leaves 8 2nd and 1's where the defense may have been able to gain an edge through high predictably in the offense. Of these 8 plays the defense was able to hold Iowa to no gain on 2 of the carries. The other 6 went for first downs.
Iowa may be predictable in this spot, but what's it matter if the defense isn't able to take advantage of it. It's quite a meaningless stat.

The only thing that can be said from the 2nd and 1 numbers is Iowa is leaving some opportunities on the table to take some shots at splash plays. It fits easily into the narrative that Iowa is too conservative. But on the other hand, Iowa unsuccessfully threw the ball on far too many first downs. This kept them from being able to move the chains (keeping the O on the field), encountering more 2nd and shorts, and kept them from having more plays and opportunities in general to score and take shots at splash plays. Not nearly conservative enough overall, in my opinion.

It should be disclosed that Iowa lost a fumble on one of the 2nd and goals. But I wouldn't give much of that credit to predictability. Predictability is already higher in goalline situations. Furthermore, the play was a tendency breaking give to Pottebaum.

I don't see anything overly questionable about the 3rd and 4th down stats. Maybe in the NFL they throw slightly more frequently in those spots. But they also have world class skill players.

So I'm not really sure why these stats were provided. I can only assume that they were to support the "too conservative" narrative. But again, not everyone shares that opinion.

I happen to think that BF, GD, and KOK have all consistently been far too cute in many of Iowa's biggest moments. And I happen to pay enough attention to have instantly known to look deeper into the 2nd and 1 stat, by way of vividly remembering screaming at the TV when Iowa lost 4 yards on a reverse to Bruce on a 2nd and 1 vs ISU. It was a huge spot in the game that in
no uncertain terms Iowa should have pounded the rock. I'm not so sure that Iowa doesn't win that game if that play call was a traditional run. Regardless, imo there were MANY short-yardage spots last season where Iowa failed to help out its O-line by simply pounding the rock.

The game is simple. It's won up front. Why do you think literally everything on offense worked vs NW last season, when almost nothing had worked the entire season leading up to that game? The answer is easy. Iowa was able to win up front vs NW.

Have people NEVER heard an expert say that football is won at the line of scrimmage? Why is this truth not enough? Why do people have to turn it into all sorts of this and that?
A lot of good points made. I think the scheme can still work. I think the frustrating part is that it should have been apparent that serious changes (not scheme related) were needed after 2021. Whatever offense that was put out in 2022 compromised the defense more than any spread offense would have.

A lot of good points made. I think the scheme can still work. I think the frustrating part is that it should have been apparent that serious changes (not scheme related) were needed after 2021. Whatever offense that was put out in 2022 compromised the defense more than any spread offense would have.
Iowa State had a spread offense and how did they do? Their offense killed their defense too and primarily because their OL sucked also. Yeah I know they fired their OC, but the scheme will be the same.

A spread offense does not fix a problem with the OL. Show me a spread team with a bad OL that was really any good in 2022.

Reactions: hawkeyebob62
The Capt's offensive Offensive scheme is lame, tired, antedeluvian, and ineffective.
The Spread (in some iteration) would take pressure off the problematic OLine.
That's one reason why Dutch Meyer invented it.
Your reasoning is "lame, tired..." etc.

Let's clue you in: The Spread was not invented because of bad O-lines.

Reactions: pistachio1999
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT