ADVERTISEMENT

Brian Ferentz Presser

Im not a Brian hater and I dont generally bad mouth the Iowa offense, but this one is tough to argue.

Iowa generally runs a "boring" offense with basically no flair. There are tons of examples of high powered offenses that routinely play freshman QBs.

Its hard to fathom that Iowa's offense is so complex that 3 year players dont grasp the entire offense while teams that finish in the top 10 can start true freshman QBs.

Either those teams are tailoring their offenses to those QBs to help them succeed, or they have a system in place that is easy enough for someone in their first year to understand. Iowa should be able to do one of these to get the best players on the field.
I don't disagree. I was quoting a poster who implied that Brian's comment that football is simple doesn't jive with having an offense that's difficult to learn.

If you look at my post above, I made the point that, if you can have an offense that's effective yet easier to learn, why wouldn't you? My personal opinion is that KF seems to want to avoid any concepts that don't translate to the NFL.

I could be way off base, but a lot of what KF does seems geared towards preparing players for the next phase of their life whether that's the NFL or a professional career in the corporate world.

Reactions: BrewHawk
Im not a Brian hater and I dont generally bad mouth the Iowa offense, but this one is tough to argue.

Iowa generally runs a "boring" offense with basically no flair. There are tons of examples of high powered offenses that routinely play freshman QBs.

Its hard to fathom that Iowa's offense is so complex that 3 year players dont grasp the entire offense while teams that finish in the top 10 can start true freshman QBs.

Either those teams are tailoring their offenses to those QBs to help them succeed, or they have a system in place that is easy enough for someone in their first year to understand. Iowa should be able to do one of these to get the best players on the field.
This is exactly what I think as well. Iowa has the QB make the call at the line of scrimmage where at Oklahoma, Clemson etc they have the guys who get paid a million bucks to know this stuff audible before the play. It is annoying when they look to the sideline to get the call but maybe that would make it easier on the QB?

So would a QB transfer even matter for this team if it takes him 2-3 years to "master" the offense? Which doesn't make any sense when 60% of the time it seems the play calls are slow stretch plays to the short side of the field and an occasional RB screen on 3rd and 8 because we for some reason can't fathom trying to throw further than 8 yards for a 1st down.

I think BF is saying it's complicated and hard to understand all the reads as an excuse. Heck, we have had tight end after tight end after tight end go pro and snag onto the reads for years. Evidently, tight ends are smarter than QB's ......

Reactions: CarterHall
Let me start by saying I’ve been no fan of the Iowa offense like many around here. But after listening to BF talk you can just tell he genuinely cares about winning. You can also tell he knows a lot about football. His interview with Chad Liestekow last year on his podcast was a great listen.

That being said some of the answers on top of the Alex Padilla quote saying it takes years to learn the offense is troubling. BF said Joey Labas still isn’t up to date yet and able to grasp the whole offense. I don’t think it is a Labas thing but is the offense made too difficult? We run a slow methodical offense that is ultra conservative so how could this be? Heck I remember when we got a delay of game penalty during a hurry offense situation. This could be a reason they don’t look hard at the portal for a QB, it doesn’t seem someone could step in and learn the offense in a short amount of time

Another reporter asked how he was going to approach the pass offense seeing that we could only complete passes at 49%. I would hope it would be an easy answer but instead it was a 5 minute ramble where I’m not sure the question was answered. Again a little concerning. If we have a statue for a QB the pass percentage needs to be much higher.

I really do hope BF turns it around and we have a middle of the road offense but the repeated lines of “we just need to execute better” is a bit concerning.
But after listening to BF talk you can just tell he genuinely cares about winning. You can also tell he knows a lot about football.

No offense but you can basically say this about any college coach especially D1 on both things. Because if you don't win you don't have a job. I Think Brian was a very good OL coach but don't think he's a good OC but growing up around the game with who his Dad is of course he knows what he does about football and working for Belicheck a few years.

Reactions: David1979
But after listening to BF talk you can just tell he genuinely cares about winning. You can also tell he knows a lot about football.

No offense but you can basically say this about any college coach especially D1 on both things. Because if you don't win you don't have a job. I Think Brian was a very good OL coach but don't think he's a good OC but growing up around the game with who his Dad is of course he knows what he does about football and working for Belicheck a few years.

Question, did you think KOK or GD were good OCs?

The Iowa defense wants to limit big plays, long drives knowing the chances for the offense to make a mistake go up a great deal.

The Iowa offense does the same and believes that it won’t make those mistakes.

Running the same offense that your defense would love to face…. Makes perfect sense.

Assuming sarcasm there...I've been saying (complaining about) this for years.

Let me start by saying I’ve been no fan of the Iowa offense like many around here. But after listening to BF talk you can just tell he genuinely cares about winning. You can also tell he knows a lot about football. His interview with Chad Liestekow last year on his podcast was a great listen.
I think this is an important distinction between a guy that isn't get it done and a drooling idiot that only cares about money.

When a coach or a player is unsuccessful, too many fans go straight to character flaws to explain the poor performance. I think that is incredibly unfair - and I really don't understand why it happens.

To be sure - I'm no BF fan, but since I've never even met him, I'll just leave it as he has been unsuccessful at OC.

Reactions: cmhawks99
Algebra is by far the easiest math course beyond basic arithmetic. Starting with algebra, it really helps having a math teacher that not only knows the subject, but knows how to effectively teach it. Many of them aren’t very good at that second part.
You might be right, but I am ADHD, which nobody really knew much about back in the late 70's and early 80's and I had so much trouble concentrating that every class, besides PE was a struggle. I will say I was always good in psychology, as it seemed to come really easy for me. Fortunately, I turn 58 in May and have never had to use anything beyond basic math. I even managed a car dealership for 15 years and did not need it, however, to sell cars and manage a dealership all you need is to be good at speaking bullshit. LOL

Reactions: fezzador
To my untrained eye schools that play freshman QBs like OK and Clemson run a complicated offense.
If you saw Clemson's O last season ... not so pretty either. Just sayin' ...

However, as it related to Oklahoma's offense ... and many others ... the philosophy they adhere to is very similar to the one used by Norm Parker on D. That idea being to keep things simple so that the players can play fast. Furthermore, they're more apt to execute more consistently since things are more simple.

RPO-schemes are typically mind-numbingly simple ... often just basing a read on a single player (for example, often the MIKE).

Another simple read that many similar-such Os use is simple diagnostics to allow the QB to see if a top target is being defended in man-coverage. In an O like Oklahoma, Alabama, or Ohio State has a top WR being defended in man-coverage - that typically indicates a mismatch (because of their team-speed advantage). Consequently, the QB makes a simple read (typically based on a diagnostic feature of their scheme - like motion) ... and then lets 'er rip if he gets the right read.

An advantage of "keeping things simple" is that then QBs can then focus more on basic fundamentals like "looking off a DB" or something like that. When there are more things on the QB's plate ... a younger QB is far more likely to be caught in their own mind contending with the cognitive load of all the reads that they need to make. Consequently, a QB in such a situation is far more likely to lock onto their targets ... and they fail to look-off DBs.

Of course, a "teaching" counter-strategy in such instances is to rely more upon timing in the passing game on many plays - that way the QB doesn't need to worry about his eyes quite as much. Of course, this the relies upon the QB and WR being on the same page ... so that the WR knows to be at the right place at the right time.

Anyhow, earlier this year I had a great discussion with another poster (maybe it was HawkinArk?) ... and that poster brought up the fine point that perhaps the Hawks should depart from their current offensive philosophy. Had the Hawks had a better record of putting QBs in the pros ... then maybe Ferentz could supply better rationale for the philosophy (of putting so much on the QB's plate). However, since Iowa QBs haven't been tearing it up in the NFL - maybe it behooves us to put more effort into taking things off the plate for the QB?

This wouldn't necessitate a change in scheme - but more a change in how we call things.
Alternatively, maybe the coaching staff could continue to strive to improve how they scaffold HOW they teach things to the QB.

Iowa fans always lament how "basic" Iowa's O is when we're breaking in a new QB. That makes sense ... because the QB's reads seem to be quite simple. The QB seems to largely be asked to count hats and check to a run-play that goes to the side with the "hat-advantage." Obviously, as the QB becomes more knowledgeable of our system - then far more checks and audibles are added to the arsenal.

It's been articulated on many occasions about how an upperclassman Iowa QB has been known to completely change the play being called based on what he's seeing from the D. The OC gives the QB a selection to choose from ... but the decision is ultimately made by the QB based upon what he sees.

I wonder if part of the problem is just the "teaching process" ... about how much to dump on the QB as he's progressing. I think that it was pretty obvious in Nate Stanley's second year starting that he was processing an enormous information-dump. After some initial hang-ups early in the season ... he ultimately caught his stride. Had the teaching approach been more scaffolded ... and less of an outright info-dump ... then maybe the process could have been more gradual and seamless.

Of course, that's the trade-off, right? Without the information-dump ... then you're essentially stuck playing with a reduced playbook. With the information-dump ... you may have more options ... but you're still at the mercy of how well your QB manages and executes it!

However, as it related to Oklahoma's offense ... and many others ... the philosophy they adhere to is very similar to the one used by Norm Parker on D. That idea being to keep things simple so that the players can play fast. Furthermore, they're more apt to execute more consistently since things are more simple.

RPO-schemes are typically mind-numbingly simple ... often just basing a read on a single player (for example, often the MIKE).

Another simple read that many similar-such Os use is simple diagnostics to allow the QB to see if a top target is being defended in man-coverage. In an O like Oklahoma, Alabama, or Ohio State has a top WR being defended in man-coverage - that typically indicates a mismatch (because of their team-speed advantage). Consequently, the QB makes a simple read (typically based on a diagnostic feature of their scheme - like motion) ... and then lets 'er rip if he gets the right read.

An advantage of "keeping things simple" is that then QBs can then focus more on basic fundamentals like "looking off a DB" or something like that. When there are more things on the QB's plate ... a younger QB is far more likely to be caught in their own mind contending with the cognitive load of all the reads that they need to make. Consequently, a QB in such a situation is far more likely to lock onto their targets ... and they fail to look-off DBs.

Of course, a "teaching" counter-strategy in such instances is to rely more upon timing in the passing game on many plays - that way the QB doesn't need to worry about his eyes quite as much. Of course, this the relies upon the QB and WR being on the same page ... so that the WR knows to be at the right place at the right time.

Anyhow, earlier this year I had a great discussion with another poster (maybe it was HawkinArk?) ... and that poster brought up the fine point that perhaps the Hawks should depart from their current offensive philosophy. Had the Hawks had a better record of putting QBs in the pros ... then maybe Ferentz could supply better rationale for the philosophy (of putting so much on the QB's plate). However, since Iowa QBs haven't been tearing it up in the NFL - maybe it behooves us to put more effort into taking things off the plate for the QB?

This wouldn't necessitate a change in scheme - but more a change in how we call things.
Alternatively, maybe the coaching staff could continue to strive to improve how they scaffold HOW they teach things to the QB.

Iowa fans always lament how "basic" Iowa's O is when we're breaking in a new QB. That makes sense ... because the QB's reads seem to be quite simple. The QB seems to largely be asked to count hats and check to a run-play that goes to the side with the "hat-advantage." Obviously, as the QB becomes more knowledgeable of our system - then far more checks and audibles are added to the arsenal.

It's been articulated on many occasions about how an upperclassman Iowa QB has been known to completely change the play being called based on what he's seeing from the D. The OC gives the QB a selection to choose from ... but the decision is ultimately made by the QB based upon what he sees.

I wonder if part of the problem is just the "teaching process" ... about how much to dump on the QB as he's progressing. I think that it was pretty obvious in Nate Stanley's second year starting that he was processing an enormous information-dump. After some initial hang-ups early in the season ... he ultimately caught his stride. Had the teaching approach been more scaffolded ... and less of an outright info-dump ... then maybe the process could have been more gradual and seamless.

Of course, that's the trade-off, right? Without the information-dump ... then you're essentially stuck playing with a reduced playbook. With the information-dump ... you may have more options ... but you're still at the mercy of how well your QB manages and executes it!
Paralysis by analysis for the QBs. Couldn't agree with this post more.

OK so Iowa football is trying to teach Calculus to 8th graders.
One student might get in in 10 years. And just barely.
Calculus is basic ... 8th graders SHOULD be learning it.

It saddens me how low "math expectations" are for folks in this country ...

Excellent post. I agree that running an offense that prepares our QB's for the NFL when none of them seem to leveraging that successfully seems like folly. I think Iowa could benefit greatly from a system that puts less on the QB's plate and enables the players to play "fast".

I just feel like college ball is an incremental step above high school. You need to ease the transition and put your players in the best position for success.

A big part of that is keeping defenses honest. If you have a simple audible strategy that is just counting hats and running to the advantage, defenses are gonna figure that out and take that advantage away immediately post-snap. That makes life pretty easy for opposing D's.

In addition, having a system that allows players to just perform without making it a massively cerebral task, they can get in "the zone" and make things happen.

Finally, you need to leverage advantages (like mentioned above). Take advantage of star performers and put them in situations where they can succeed. Look at some players over the years (purdue's receiver, that star receiver from Pitt, etc.) that have had career games vs. Iowa. We know they want to go to those players and we still can't stop them. How come other teams can successfully shut down our stars?

GD no. KOK I didn't have an issue with for the most part. He was better than BF.

Personally I think Brian is KOK honestly. 90% of the people on this board don’t realize Ken O’Keeffe ran a spread offense when he was head coach at Allegheny college….

The totality of the alleged hindrance of the offense lies with Kirk, the problems with last year‘s offense was erratic quarterback play, poor line play and a lot of dropped passes…

Lots of positive comments throughout broadcast about playcalling & play design during Iowa football games but it was overshadowed by the consistent clunkiness that comes from lousy execution!

Reactions: Pawkhawk1

What’s extremely interesting about that is…

If we go with the premise of the article and that Iowa football lacks “accountability“…

They are now on one of their best runs in history with better processes, better recruiting, mostly better everything in place except for the offense….

So It seems we should all have lifetime contracts if that’s the case😎

Iowa’s offense needs changed but it won’t until Kirk leaves. I know Brian wants to win but that doesn’t mean that he will produce a good offense. All coaches want to win. Until then all we can hope for is maybe an above average offense.

I wonder what Patrick Mahomes thinks of it.

Joe Montana played college football 45 years ago. His senior season, 22 TD passes lead the nation in CFB.
The two greatest QBs of all time in Montana and Brady. They weren’t watching the sideline. They studied and trained and yes are gifted with ability.

Given how much is on the plate of the QB ... all the reads, all the calls, etc ... an Iowa QB is essentially a coach on the field. Just because the Hawks play with a deliberate pace relates in no way to the cognitive load that it places on the QB.

Fast-pace offenses almost exclusively put the calling of the play in the hands of the OC ... the variant reads a QB then made is then premised more upon reading a single guy (or very few guys).

Pro-style offenses typically have reads to make both pre-snap and post-snap ... that includes having the QB work through his progressions. The QB is usually responsible for checking protections (especially making sure the back is lined up right for protections) ... and that's in addition to reading coverages ... and do the standard hat-count.

As for comments about the need to execute better. That's not unlike EVERY engineering student I've ever taught. Usually their work is sloppy as hell ... and they make tons of algebra errors (particularly sign errors). As they mature and improve as problems solvers, they ultimately become more organized, they work things out with more confidence, and the execution of their approach is more consistent too. This sort of situation is teaching 101 ... the probably is rarely with the people you have .. the problem is more with HOW they're doing things. If folks improve how they're doing things ... then they improve and the quality of play around them tends to improve too.

I don't see why it's disconcerting.

The bigger problem would be if he was fundamentally teaching things poorly ... and folks weren't getting down things whatsoever. However, given the mastery of the O that Stanley possessed ... that seems to point to there not being issues with how the O is being conveyed.

Lastly, if you watch much of our play ... the OL's issues were almost 100% execution-related. Similarly, some of our most dynamic play at WR were by guys who were seeing their first position reps at Iowa (Jones, Johnson, and Bruce). It's not a stretch to believe that things will look a lot better when they're executing things more cleanly and consistently.

Nothing personal but I think you're position as a teacher (much like a coach) has you thinking one way. Your response about Stanley (knowing the offense) is taking the attitude of, I can't be the problem because I have one student who's getting a A, so it must be the other students that have an issue. If the subject is so complicated that the students take years to understand then you either need to get different students or change what you're teaching. Right now we don't have a "A" QB, we have "B"s and "C"s. That's a problem.

The complexity is scary. It reminds of the Steelers with Joe Walton’s offense. When it rarely worked, it did look beautiful but it rarely worked. And that was on a pro level when free agency wasn’t as “busy” as it is now.

Calculus is basic ... 8th graders SHOULD be learning it.

It saddens me how low "math expectations" are for folks in this country ...

Preaching to the choir.
6th graders should be introduced to Linear Algebra actually. I do it. Right after they read Where The Red Fern Grows.

Nothing personal but I think you're position as a teacher (much like a coach) has you thinking one way. Your response about Stanley (knowing the offense) is taking the attitude of, I can't be the problem because I have one student who's getting a A, so it must be the other students that have an issue. If the subject is so complicated that the students take years to understand then you either need to get different students or change what you're teaching. Right now we don't have a "A" QB, we have "B"s and "C"s. That's a problem.

We have a B QB? Oh man who?! And why hasn't he played?

That being said some of the answers on top of the Alex Padilla quote saying it takes years to learn the offense is troubling. BF said Joey Labas still isn’t up to date yet and able to grasp the whole offense. I don’t think it is a Labas thing but is the offense made too difficult? We run a slow methodical offense that is ultra conservative so how could this be? Heck I remember when we got a delay of game penalty during a hurry offense situation. This could be a reason they don’t look hard at the portal for a QB, it doesn’t seem someone could step in and learn the offense in a short amount of time

Another reporter asked how he was going to approach the pass offense seeing that we could only complete passes at 49%. I would hope it would be an easy answer but instead it was a 5 minute ramble where I’m not sure the question was answered. Again a little concerning. If we have a statue for a QB the pass percentage needs to be much higher.

I really do hope BF turns it around and we have a middle of the road offense but the repeated lines of “we just need to execute better” is a bit concerning.
I heard a "word salad" to about every question. I certainly want him to succeed but the presser did not give me any additional hope frankly. Long way until September though....

You might be right, but I am ADHD, which nobody really knew much about back in the late 70's and early 80's and I had so much trouble concentrating that every class, besides PE was a struggle. I will say I was always good in psychology, as it seemed to come really easy for me. Fortunately, I turn 58 in May and have never had to use anything beyond basic math. I even managed a car dealership for 15 years and did not need it, however, to sell cars and manage a dealership all you need is to be good at speaking bullshit. LOL
I have ADHD as well (would have been nice to have known it 25-30 years ago). I was alright at math (got mostly B's) but in retrospect I could have put forth a little more effort in it.

Math and science are generally considered the toughest subjects in middle/high school because it involves critical thinking/problem solving much more than memorization and recitation. Yes, it's the teacher's responsibility to ensure that his/her students grasp each concept, but it's also on the student to ask questions or ask for help if they don't get it. They aren't easy subjects to teach, let alone learn, but if the student is struggling and cares enough to improve, the teacher should be able to either directly assist or at least set them up with the appropriate resources (tutor, materials, etc) to succeed.

Reactions: scotthawk1964
As has been mentioned, it is a system problem.

If Iowa’s offense is supposedly so complex it takes years to learn, then maybe it’s time to change it. Doesn’t really make much sense to have an offense that…..by the time a QB figures it out, he graduates and is gone.
I agree, we're not talking about a bunch
Of pros here!

No worries.

However, I don't think that you're appreciating the example of Stanley quite enough.

Firstly, Stanley's play wasn't an "A" from the outset. As a first year starter - his game against Wisconsin was one of the poorest by a Hawkeye QB ... MAYBE EVER! The old adage does apply - Rome was not built in a day.

However, you may not have read my latter post. I emphasized that the WAY Iowa QBs have been taught might contribute to some of the "paralysis by analysis" that we've seen on the field. Thus, I'm no staunch advocate for what the Hawks are currently doing. I think that adopting an approach wherein we simplify things so that that players can gain confidence SOONER and play faster (and more consistently) could reap many rewards.

I liked how Brian utilized elite TEs when he had 'em. When he had versatile and quick RBs like Goodson and Wadley ... he did his best to "feed his guys" ... and put them in places where they could get the ball in space. Even looking at how our TR FR wide receivers were utilized last year - when guys like Tracy and Ragaini weren't producing. That's adapting to your personnel ... that's the sort of thing we WANT to see from our coaching staff (and OC).

As for Brian training QB ... that will remain to be seen. Our QBs were taught by O'Keefe before ... and Stanley was but one data point among a whole list of guys who developed favorably and performed quite well for the Hawks. The point here being (pun intended) ... Stanley wasn't an "isolated A" in a sea of mediocrity that you might suggest.

O'Keefe had success working with McCann (yeah, even him), Banks, Chandler, Tate, Stanzi, Vandenberg ('11 was excellent for him - '12 was more on the coaching transition), and Stanley. A good many quality college QBs trained by Ken. However, as I acknowledged in a prior post - the lack of NFLers developed given our system does point to the fact that we could do better at the position (if we're being honest).

Reactions: cmhawks99 and SB_SB
Honestly, I’d be happy if BF could simply get Petras out of the habit of throwing the ball into the turf. That’s the sad state of Iowa’s offense.

Reactions: FWIW4922463
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT