ADVERTISEMENT

Brittney Griner....WTH!

It is a sport she chooses to play. She’s well compensated.

I feel no differently about a pilot that wants to go to China to double their income. If they get popped for something questionable, we should try to help, but we should also acknowledge that they knowingly put themselves in the position.
This is like blaming a rape victim. Well...she shouldn't have dressed like that!!

She was going to her job. She was clearly set up. She plead guilty after long claiming innocence because there is a 99% conviction rate and she will get a lighter sentence by pleading guilty and "showing remorse." It's all a farce and the only people dumb enough to believe it are American's who have something against women's basketball.

She was busted on 2/17, before the invasion.

The United States was openly warning that it was going to happen, though.

You're right, one week before the war started, and 3 weeks after Russia was put on a DO NOT TRAVEL advisory from the USA

Reactions: fsu1jreed
Another stupid take. Tens of thousands of Americans are in Russian on any given day before the war. My folks have traveled there several times when my dad was working for a major engineering firm.
She was working, like lots of people. She was invited to come and play. She didn't expect to be used as a political pawn. It's not her fault despite the fact that conservatives don't like her for being a black lesbian.
Your folks have never had their name mentioned on ESPN (or so I assume). She is a high-profile target. The Russians can’t use your parents to pressure the media to get the administration to swap a spy for them. And as far as I know or care, both your parents are black lesbians. That doesn’t matter other than the media will use her race and her sexuality to ramp up the seriousness of the issue, and insult anyone who dares suggest that Griener is in any way responsible for the situation.

Reactions: ICHerky
You're right, one week before the war started, and 3 weeks after Russia was put on a DO NOT TRAVEL advisory from the USA
Ah, she deserves 10 years in prison for ignoring that.

Anyone been to Mexico lately? Most of that country is under a travel advisory. You all deserve prison?

Reactions: IACub
She makes a million a year playing in Russia. So over 4 times the amount she makes here. Again, plenty of our top players over the years have played over there like Sue Bird and Diana Taurasi. Bird played for 3 different teams and spent 10 seasons over there. Taurasi played 12 years over there. That's life changing money. And they are treated well. Not going to argue over the other stuff. Was she stupid to try and b ring the hashish oil back? Of course. Is it really worth a 10 year prison sentence? Or more and we all know they're making an example of her. It's hashish oil. Jesus Christ. It's not like she was bringing back 50 lbs of cocaine to distribute. She takes it as a way to calm herself down.
If there was an interest in women's basketball here enough to justify a higher wage she would make it. As it is, the NBA subsidizes the WNBA and it would fold and go away without that subsidy. She lucky to be making what she is making playing a game. Let her go out into the real world and earn a living.

Reactions: ICHerky
Your folks have never had their name mentioned on ESPN (or so I assume). She is a high-profile target. The Russians can’t use your parents to pressure the media to get the administration to swap a spy for them. And as far as I know or care, both your parents are black lesbians. That doesn’t matter other than the media will use her race and her sexuality to ramp up the seriousness of the issue, and insult anyone who dares suggest that Griener is in any way responsible for the situation.
Please, my dad was the CEO of one of the largest engineering firms in the world. He assumed everything he did there was being spied on and his rooms were bugged. They knew exactly who he was and they kept tabs on him. The FBI showed up in his office a few times to talk about people he met with.
Those firms are still over there. They and everyone who goes over there to do business knows the drill. But they have jobs to do.
They picked her because she represents the "evils of the liberal west" and people like you nod your heads.

Reactions: fsu1jreed
This is like blaming a rape victim. Well...she shouldn't have dressed like that!!

She was going to her job. She was clearly set up. She plead guilty after long claiming innocence because there is a 99% conviction rate and she will get a lighter sentence by pleading guilty and "showing remorse." It's all a farce and the only people dumb enough to believe it are American's who have something against women's basketball.
I don’t have anything against women’s basketball. I do have a problem with people defending her decision to go to Russia as necessary because the WNBA failed to compensate her fairly.

Brittney Griner is a top WNBA player. The reason Brittney Griner doesn’t have millions of dollars is because she punched her wife. The endorsement money was there, and she blew it.

I don’t have anything against women’s basketball. I do have a problem with people defending her decision to go to Russia as necessary because the WNBA failed to compensate her fairly.

Brittney Griner is a top WNBA player. The reason Brittney Griner doesn’t have millions of dollars is because she punched her wife. The endorsement money was there, and she blew it.
No one claimed she wasn't fairly compensated. Where did you get that? I said like any athlete she will have a short career and needs to make money while she can.

PLEASE Show me where I said said she deserves 10 years?

She made a bad decision, when everyone was more than likely advising her not to.

Also, "MOST" of mexico is not under a travel advisory.

https://travelmaps.state.gov/TSGMap/?extent=-124.207939566,14.44327709,-84.313397286,33.446969624
Actually, your map shows that nearly all of Mexico is under some level of travel advisory. True, only a few states are listed as "do not travel" but another dozen are "reconsider" and a dozen more are "increased caution."
So, are all the people that vacationed in Mexico dumbasses? Did people who had something happen getting what they deserved?

Maybe someone made this point already, if so I apologize.

If this were a white, heterosexual, male, and not a professional athlete - no one would care.

She broke the law in a foreign country. She has traveled enough internationally to know what/what not to do. I'm not buying her "non-intentional" argument.

Just plain dumb, arrogant, or both. As if the rules don't apply to her. As if she deserves special consideration based upon her "status". I don't feel a bit sorry for her. Natural consequences.

P.S. You couldn't pay me enough to travel to a foreign country these days. My one trip to Mexico (in 2019), I was nervous as hell going through customs. No thanks.
Why scared? Most places are more free than we are. I can’t wait to travel back to Europe. It’s awesome!

Actually, your map shows that nearly all of Mexico is under some level of travel advisory. True, only a few states are listed as "do not travel" but another dozen are "reconsider" and a dozen more are "increased caution."
So, are all the people that vacationed in Mexico dumbasses? Did people who had something happen getting what they deserved?

Again, where did I say she was a dumbass?

She made a horrible decision to go to a country that the US advised her not to, a week before they started a war

Does she deserve 10 years? Of course not.

When you travel to another country, especially one what your home country is explicitly telling you not to, you're saying you accept that risk.

But apparently me holding that opinion makes me racist, a bigot, and a womans basketball hater.

Reactions: EasyHawk
They are no different. When found guilty they need to pay for any illegal dealings. Why do you assume there is any difference? This isn't political, she broke the law of another country, it's up to that country what the penalty is.
No Trump and his cronies ARE different.

Please, my dad was the CEO of one of the largest engineering firms in the world. He assumed everything he did there was being spied on and his rooms were bugged. They knew exactly who he was and they kept tabs on him. The FBI showed up in his office a few times to talk about people he met with.
Those firms are still over there. They and everyone who goes over there to do business knows the drill. But they have jobs to do.
They picked her because she represents the "evils of the liberal west" and people like you nod your heads.
Okay, but your dad wasn’t a celebrity. Like you said, he was aware of what was happening and could happen, so he took active measures to avoid problems. And he had access to much better lawyers.
Griener acted like she was taking a puddle jumper from Toledo to Akron. They picked her because she’s an easy target compared to your dad, and the Western media would do most of the work for them. Which they did. It actually works in their favor if people believe they planted it on her. It garners her a lot more sympathy and puts more pressure on the administration to get her back. The general public have never heard of who we’re going to have to trade to bring her home, so they don’t care.
If it was planted on her, her culpability goes way down, but not to zero.

If there was an interest in women's basketball here enough to justify a higher wage she would make it. As it is, the NBA subsidizes the WNBA and it would fold and go away without that subsidy. She lucky to be making what she is making playing a game. Let her go out into the real world and earn a living.
She’s not lucky. She’s among the elite athletes of the world. Obviously people don’t care about womens sports as much as mens but let’s not downplay her talent. And get out of here with your real world bullshit. Not sure why you don’t think being a professional athlete isn’t being in your real world. Probably because your fat ass would have a hard time getting off the couch.

Okay, but your dad wasn’t a celebrity. Like you said, he was aware of what was happening and could happen, so he took active measures to avoid problems. And he had access to much better lawyers.
Griener acted like she was taking a puddle jumper from Toledo to Akron. They picked her because she’s an easy target compared to your dad, and the Western media would do most of the work for them. Which they did. It actually works in their favor if people believe they planted it on her. It garners her a lot more sympathy and puts more pressure on the administration to get her back. The general public have never heard of who we’re going to have to trade to bring her home, so they don’t care.
If it was planted on her, her culpability goes way down, but not to zero.
lol much better lawyers? You still don't get it. It doesn't matter. Had my dad been picked up for anything he would have been found guilty. That's how it works there.

They picked her up BECAUSE she's a well know gay black american. It's propaganda. They didn't pick up someone like my dad because they know they need westerners to keep building infrastructure. It's all strategic.

Griner was safe in russia as an athlete until the math changed. Should she have known that? Not really. It's not surprising that the are using someone but to say that she should have known it would be her specifically is silly. She probably had people from the league assuring her that everything was ok and she'd be fine. Right up until the customs person pulled her aside.

She’s not lucky. She’s among the elite athletes of the world. Obviously people don’t care about womens sports as much as mens but let’s not downplay her talent. And get out of here with your real world bullshit. Not sure why you don’t think being a professional athlete isn’t being in your real world. Probably because your fat ass would have a hard time getting off the couch.
I doubt you have had a tax paying job in your life, and I will bet your ass is much fatter than mine. Your a useless entitled POS

Do not want pic of lady basketballer or her wife
Why not?
brittney-griner-435.jpg

images

lol much better lawyers? You still don't get it. It doesn't matter. Had my dad been picked up for anything he would have been found guilty. That's how it works there.

They picked her up BECAUSE she's a well know gay black american. It's propaganda. They didn't pick up someone like my dad because they know they need westerners to keep building infrastructure. It's all strategic.

Griner was safe in russia as an athlete until the math changed. Should she have known that? Not really. It's not surprising that the are using someone but to say that she should have known it would be her specifically is silly. She probably had people from the league assuring her that everything was ok and she'd be fine. Right up until the customs person pulled her aside.

When does some of the blame fall on her?

She flew to a country with a DO NOT TRAVEL advisory from our government.

Slice it however you want, that's dumb.

I like that she is taking responsibility for her actions, it actually says to me she takes her actions seriously, know she screwed up and take some steps forward from here…. and that is enough for me to change my perspective on her. She seems to be handling the situation as best she can.

Not going to change my opinion that we should not do any sort of prisoner exchange.

It’s sad and the Russians are exploiting it but it’s still a “wtf were you thinking?!” situation.

Having said that, her college coach raised a good point that if this were LeBron James, it would have been resolved by now. And she’s probably right.
Wouldn’t Lebron be a much higher profile athlete for the Russians to use as leverage.

they would probably want something more than the Merchant of Death to get Lebron free. Which we probably would have given them in 12 hours

Isn’t it weird in life where people just make things up without having any idea if it’s true or not. This is some crazy stuff right here.

Last edited:
Careful, buddy.

The MAGAs are all over this thread asserting the Russian customs and police forces are straightforward and honest about all this stuff....
Not a MAGA and I believe she’d be hitting on that vape cartridge right now if she wasn’t caught.

Maybe someone made this point already, if so I apologize.

If this were a white, heterosexual, male, and not a professional athlete - no one would care.

She broke the law in a foreign country. She has traveled enough internationally to know what/what not to do. I'm not buying her "non-intentional" argument.

Just plain dumb, arrogant, or both. As if the rules don't apply to her. As if she deserves special consideration based upon her "status". I don't feel a bit sorry for her. Natural consequences.

P.S. You couldn't pay me enough to travel to a foreign country these days. My one trip to Mexico (in 2019), I was nervous as hell going through customs. No thanks.
I ran a Mexico customs check on the boarder in 2015. Sorry…that’s another story.

When does some of the blame fall on her?

She flew to a country with a DO NOT TRAVEL advisory from our government.

Slice it however you want, that's dumb.
You want to assign some percent blame to her. Because blaming the victim of political crimes has a point? Whatever. Feel free, but I won't participate.

People were making jokes about the admin predicting the invasion on this very board. No one believed them. There were 20k Americans in Ukraine before the war, how many do you think were in Russia? Probably many times that number.
Do you partially blame the Ukrainians that were killed for not fleeing? They were warned. They had a more direct threat.

They get paid according to the demand for their product. Little demand = little pay...
The demand in Russia for many many years has been good. And they’ve been paid quite handsomely. Candace Parker, Sue Bird, etc. so you are wrong.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT