ADVERTISEMENT

Brooks to PSU

I agree Iowa has made some choices that have not helped. I don't blame other teams but I am happy to question their tactics if need be. I don't care what Evans was ranked, he was a plodder who battled very hard, not an especially great athlete.

I'm just hopeful the worst is behind us and keep clawing back to the top. Clearly we're much better off (rankings wise) than we were at the beginning of the year...thank God,..and looking to improve even more this last month! :) And I can't argue over Evans other than to talk about his standing coming out of high school and the expectations. I'm not close to the action so never get to see our fellas in the room, with the weights, etc.

Reactions: MVPFAN
And you know this because?

Folks, I like reading this board a lot, though I don't post often. However, the lengths that some go to to denigrate Cael Sanderson is really astonishing. Is Cael in Dan Gable's class? No. He's got a long, long way to go before he can be mentioned in the same breath as Gable. Is Cael the best Coach in college wrestling today? I don't see how anyone can reasonably argue otherwise given the records and results.

Concur. Cael's record both as a wrestler and a coach speaks for itself. And even though I'm a Hawks' fan who has no love for Cael, I don't get all the bashing, berating, etc. Right now he's the best and everyone else, including us, is chasing...

And you know this because?

Folks, I like reading this board a lot, though I don't post often. However, the lengths that some go to to denigrate Cael Sanderson is really astonishing. Is Cael in Dan Gable's class? No. He's got a long, long way to go before he can be mentioned in the same breath as Gable. Is Cael the best Coach in college wrestling today? I don't see how anyone can reasonably argue otherwise given the records and results.

The distaste for Carl here has nothing to do with his coaching ability. While the PSU faithful are not surprisingly fully bought into the the narrative that his bleep don't stink many here have knowledge that would suggest otherwise. Just the way it is.

Reactions: DonHawkeye
So would you say that they have been negatively recruited to you? Have you ever met them or had a sit down to get to know them? I bet you wouldn't call them mouth breathers if you actually had interactions with them outside of what they show on TV.
I think if any of us had the chance to speak Tom/Terry we would walk away impressed and glad we did. They are high intensity and if that is who you are to the core it's hard to turn it on/off. I appreciate their intensity and like it when we can get a win on them. They are good for the sport.

Gable is the Greatest...End of Story. Cael has a long way to go before even entering in that conversation.

Also, You are all responsible for the 1929 stock market crash and the start of the great depression. Since Herbert Hoover is from Iowa. I will be wearing nothing but hoover blankets and pulling out my pockets showing my Hoover flags in protest at the match this weekend.:mad::eek:;)

Where is Brands on the list?

Yep. Back in the day, it was only on the basketball and football boards where people were gullible enough to believe an anonymous poster's story about payments made to unnamed athletes at an unnamed friend's unnamed camp in an unidentified location.
yup it was true then and it's true now

The distaste for Carl here has nothing to do with his coaching ability. While the PSU faithful are not surprisingly fully bought into the the narrative that his bleep don't stink many here have knowledge that would suggest otherwise. Just the way it is.
Shyt. Aren't you just a Hawk want to be? You know stuff? You just know stuff nobody else knows? Yeah. OK.

With that post no reason to think you may have fallen off that black and yellow rocker of yours.

They aren’t wrestling for “nothing or very little”. They are wrestling for individual and team championships. It’s not always about the money.
giphy.gif

Reactions: LaQuintaHawkeye
See dude. You do it again, talking to yourself. You are consistent. Consistently wrong. Like on Zain today. Lol

He may be wrong, may talk to himself here, may use too many !!!!!

But he doesn't attack people, call them names or go all profanity when someone starts ragging on him.

Observe and learn something folks.

Reactions: CCAHawkeye
May I ask why you didn’t bump this post in 2020 or 2021? Hell, even last year? You wait until they graduate key guys and get decimated by a crazy gambling scandal to jump in with the lynch mob? Lmfao…
What exactly do you mean with “decimated by a crazy gambling scandal”?

From my perch, Franek-Caliendo-Kennedy-Riggins is not much different from Siebrecht-Kennedy-Brands-Assad, and Cass would not make up the points needed to make the last two duals (and expected Nationals results) swing to an Iowa victory.

Maybe your definition of “decimated” is different from that established by all other civilizations on planet Earth?

From my perch, Franek-Caliendo-Kennedy-Riggins is not much different from Siebrecht-Kennedy-Brands-Assad, and Cass would not make up the points needed to make the last two duals (and expected Nationals results) swing to an Iowa victory.

Maybe your definition of “decimated” is different from that established by all other civilizations on planet Earth?
Losing Cass alone is massive. Add in Brands and they don’t have a massive hole at 184 either. Are you saying they don’t go get Franek and Caliendo if the gambling thing doesn’t happen? Because, I am pretty sure they don’t turn that opportunity down either way.

Look, tournament wise, which is what really matters, Iowa is CONSIDERABLY better without what they lost. No one is remotely saying they would be challenging PSU, but only a small amount of all time great teams would be.

Simply put, I am 100% certain the following lineup would beat all but PSU.

125: Ayala
133: Teske
141: Woods
149: Rathjen
157: Franek
165: Caliendo
174: Kennedy
184: Brands
197: Glazier
285. Cass

The 2 guys at 184 and 285 could legitimately add 30 or so points to their team total. That is a HUGE difference…

Wrong

Losing Cass alone is massive. Add in Brands and they don’t have a massive hole at 184 either. Are you saying they don’t go get Franek and Caliendo if the gambling thing doesn’t happen? Because, I am pretty sure they don’t turn that opportunity down either way.

Look, tournament wise, which is what really matters, Iowa is CONSIDERABLY better without what they lost. No one is remotely saying they would be challenging PSU, but only a small amount of all time great teams would be.

285. Cass

The 2 guys at 184 and 285 could legitimately add 30 or so points to their team total. That is a HUGE difference…
Brands would have been 174. Assad 184.

And the way the season is going... I think he's in the finals with Starocci. He showed so much growth at NCAAs last year.

I really don't understand why this is so hard for my fellow hawk fans to comprehend. Cael can out-recruit Morningstar. That is no knock on Morningstar, but the head guy and the face of the program needs to be the guy doing the heavy lifting in recruiting. And he needs to work the recruiting aspect relentlessly. Brooks gave his verbal before we even said hi. I think that's ridiculous.
Wow, you wrote this six years ago and just now people are beginning to realize how right you were.

285. Cass

Couldn’t Cobe have went down to 149 as well? Idk if that adds a whole lot after what Rathjen has shown this year. But still a reason that, even without the gambling fiasco, franek+caliendo would’ve still definitely been pursued.

285. Cass

The last time Brands was a 184 he scored a total of 1 point at natty's. What makes you think he'd score more if was available this year? Much more likely Caliendo wouldn't be here and Kennedy would be manning 165.

The last time Brands was a 184 he scored a total of 1 point at natty's. What makes you think he'd score more if was available this year? Much more likely Caliendo wouldn't be here and Kennedy would be manning 165.
Brands did improve considerably from that finish three whole years ago, and 84 is not nearly as deep as it has been in the past. I'm definitely biased, but I'd favor him to AA in this year's 84 field.

Couldn’t Cobe have went down to 149 as well? Idk if that adds a whole lot after what Rathjen has shown this year. But still a reason that, even without the gambling fiasco, franek+caliendo would’ve still definitely been pursued.
Franek & Caliendo always intended to go to the same place. I think recruiting Franek was more a reaction to losing Chittum than to the gambling thing.

As for Siebrecht vs Rathjen, they seem pretty interchangeable, so I don't think you lost anything with Rathjen, but I don't think you would have gained anything with Siebrecht there, either. They are both R16/R12 type guys who could AA with a good run at nationals. Besides, wasn't Voinovich supposed to be the plan for 149? When he had some disappointing results, it opened the door for Rathjen, and he seized the moment.

This thread is a psychological thesis. As much as I would like say Vodka don’t ever change.

Season 2 Wtf GIF by Parks and Recreation

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT