ADVERTISEMENT

Buckle up Hawkeye state for some weather 7/15

Some of us have been promoted to moderate risk...

day1otlk_2000.gif
Might I be the first to congratulate you and the others on your promotions. It's well deserved.

It's the frequency and magnitude, Tom Skilling.
Besides the derecho, I haven’t seen much more in regards of flooding, tornadoes or hale storms than I did as a child. When would you say this became our new normal so I can use it as a reference point.

Yeah. Straight line winds, downbursts, very heavy rain - even the D word might be in the works. Looks like the environment is going to be just right for any of those.

Northern IL/Southern WI got it tonight. Last night in was NE and far eastern Iowa.

In CR, I have my doubts about tomorrow. Tonight, The Perfect Cell was coming straight for us and was only 30ish miles away, but once again the CR Weather Bubble shut that stuff down.

Windshield got some drops...otherwise nothing. Let's hope that doesn't happen yet again.
CR Weather Bubble? Were you not alive in 2008 and 2020???

CR does indeed have a weather bubble, but it's not an impenetrable force field. I've lived within 40 miles of CR my entire life of 69 years. Major storms have "almost always" moved north or south of CR. Maybe it's the Captain Crunch, IDK.

In 2020 we did have a major hail storm and the derecho. Add it to Covid and it was a really, really bad year!

Praying that we can avoid the high winds!

🙏

Reactions: MilleGinja
Things done blowed up real good now...

US20 to I80...things are liable to get a bit dicey around there the next hour or so.

Reactions: McLovin32
It's effectiveness is not absolute. No weather bubble really is absolute. But ask DM and QC weather nerds - they believe their metros also have a "bubble".

It is indeed there for CR. Far too often this spring and summer, lines of pretty intense storms have approached Linn County and split apart, skirt the northern and southern reaches of the county - only to have the line reform after it passes east. I dunno if it's the heat of the metro or some sort of locational thing as far as how lines/cells of storms cycle through their lifespans.

Who knows really.

Yes, the derecho happened - I sort of chalk that up as it being "too strong to fail" kind of thing. And it wasn't the first derecho to hit CR, too. I've lived at my current near Kirkwood address for almost 20 years now, and I can think of a couple different storms that packed quite the wallop. One did a LOT of damage to the neighborhood just west of Kirkwood Blvd behind where the Kum & Go is now (believe something like 2006-ish). Believe there was one in late July last year too.

But how many tornados can anybody name that truly hit CR proper? I can't name but one back in the 70's I believe, somewhere around the Coe College to Kenwood area of town. But otherwise they seem to skirt both north and south of town. Usually we get 1-2 every year that come close, but miss. There's been a couple weak ones recently that skirted the Kirkwood area that touched down around the C St SW/Ely Road area. One was not too long ago in June I believe, maybe late May? The other was the cell remnants of that fluke January cold core storm (the "Williamsburg tornado") that I believe was last year?

Saw both of those myself - hell, the January 2023 one, I saw the funnel cloud form literally right above my home. Both were weak as far as tornados go, but they did indeed touch down very close to CR proper.

Otherwise, though...nada. I don't remember specifically any recent (say 1990's to now) confirmed tornado that hit CR at all.
It does seem like Iowa city always gets hit much worse with snow, rain, thunderstorms than we do here in CR despite having similar forecasts. I have zero data to support it, just a pattern I feel I have observed.

Have had constant thunder in northern CR for the last 30 minutes. Now starting to see the lightning.

IAC153-152315-
/O.CON.KDMX.TO.W.0083.000000T0000Z-240715T2315Z/
Polk IA-
545 PM CDT Mon Jul 15 2024

...A TORNADO WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 615 PM CDT FOR SOUTHERN
POLK COUNTY...

At 544 PM CDT, a confirmed tornado was located over Drake Stadium And
Knapp Center, or near Des Moines, moving east at 45 mph.

HAZARD...Damaging tornado and quarter size hail.

SOURCE...Radar confirmed tornado.

IMPACT...Flying debris will be dangerous to those caught without
shelter. Mobile homes will be damaged or destroyed. Damage
to roofs, windows, and vehicles will occur. Tree damage is
likely.

This tornado will be near...
Des Moines, Pleasant Hill, Principal Park, Iowa State Fairgrounds,
and Iowa Events Center around 550 PM CDT.
Altoona around 555 PM CDT.

This includes Interstate 235 between mile markers 5 and 12.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

To repeat, a tornado is on the ground. TAKE COVER NOW! Move to a
basement or an interior room on the lowest floor of a sturdy
building. Avoid windows. If you are outdoors, in a mobile home, or in
a vehicle, move to the closest substantial shelter and protect
yourself from flying debris.

• Wow
Reactions: Chishawk1425
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT