ADVERTISEMENT

Bullying claims and eerie online posts: What we know about Iowa school shooter Dylan Butler

RicoSuave102954

HR All-American
Jul 17, 2023
Montezuma, Iowa
Dylan Butler had always been a quiet kid, according to those who knew him.

So when he unleashed terror through Perry High School on the morning of 4 January, killing one person and injuring five, it sent shockwaves through the community.

The 17-year-old had been the target of bullying since his very early years, and the bullying had recently engulfed his sister in the leadup to his violent rampage at his rural Iowa high school, according to his classmates.

The teenager, who was a former student at the school, was found dead on the scene. An Iowa Division of Criminal Investigation official said he died from a self-inflicted gunshot wound.

Police are now trying to establish his motive for the killings as they attempt to piece together the events leading up to the shooting.

The ‘bullied’ suspect

Butler, who authorities said acted alone, was described as a quiet person who had been bullied for years by his former classmates.

Sisters Yesenia Roeder and Khamya Hall, both 17, said that Butler had been bullied relentlessly since elementary school.

They added that the bullying had escalated recently, when his younger sister started getting picked on, too. Officials at the school didn’t intervene, they said, and that was “the last straw” for the shooter.

“He was hurting. He got tired. He got tired of the bullying. He got tired of the harassment,” Yesenia Roeder Hall said.

“Was it a smart idea to shoot up the school? No. God, no,” she added.

Khamya described Butler as “the kindest person ever”.

“He was there for us when we needed him, and we tried to be there when he needed us, which clearly we weren’t there for him enough,” she added through tears.

A law enforcement official said federal and state investigators were interviewing Butler’s friends and analysing his online footprint, including posts on TikTok and Reddit.

Nothing will change until school officials including teachers are held criminally responsible, someone maybe multiple people need jail time.

This is just another example of how pathetic the failing Public School System is in Iowa.

Shoot the f*cking bullies then….not an innocent 6th grader.

Edit to add disclaimer: Better to not shoot anyone but if you are nuts enough to feel the need at least people might understand if you shot the tormentors as opposed to anyone who happened along…
You can bet the Teachers Union is already coaching the teachers on what to say "we didn't see or hear anything" repeat after me "we didn't see or hear anything" to investigators.

Just curious, for what charges should school officials be charged?

Hopefully all school districts look at situations like this and research what warning signs, if any, were missed, what additional anti-bullying measures can be implemented, etc.

But sorry, unless you can show that people at the school had advance warnings of his intentions and took zero actions I can’t imagine what you’d charge them with.

Just curious, for what charges should school officials be charged?

Hopefully all school districts look at situations like this and research what warning signs, if any, were missed, what additional anti-bullying measures can be implemented, etc.

But sorry, unless you can show that people at the school had advance warnings of his intentions and took zero actions I can’t imagine what you’d charge them with.
Eyewitness statements claim the school and the teachers didn't do jack shit

I’ve posted this before but, again, as someone who was bullied in school, I can understand the frustration and the feeling of hopelessness that would cause someone to do this. I don’t condone it, but I can understand. I did not even think of shooting up the school, but I thought often of murdering the bully. I have not gone to any school event since graduating. I hated every last second of high school. Every second.

Oh I see, your contention here is that teachers don’t care about kids. Sure.

You have a nice evening then.
That's kind of a blanket statement, not that his was all that different, but there are plenty of cases that you don't see reported about of teachers protecting their own asses and turning a blind eye to bullying and harassment.

All these issues run deeper than just an individual's mental health and parenting....................just sayin.

P.S. try not to make assumptions about what I may or may not be inferring from my post either. Thanks in advance........ :) :):):):):):):)

That's kind of a blanket statement, not that his was all that different, but there are plenty of cases that you don't see reported about of teachers protecting their own asses and turning a blind eye to bullying and harassment.

All these issues run deeper than just an individual's mental health and parenting....................just sayin.

P.S. try not to make assumptions about what I may or may not be inferring from my post either. Thanks in advance........ :) :):):):):):):)

I don’t disagree about the bullying, but Rico is saying they should do time in jail. Regarding the bullying I don’t know what they’d be charged for.

You could possibly charge someone if they knew the kid was an imminent threat, had something planned, but I haven’t seen that yet.

I would hate to be a teacher in today’s world….in fact I couldn’t be. And just because one has a degree doesn’t make them a good teacher. The implications of years and years of bullying to this kid is going to make a lot of people feel guilty and sick. Students teachers staff included…..

If you don't wish to be "bullied," stop acting like a jackass.......
And here I thought you couldn't get any dumber.

Prove Me Wrong Paramount Network GIF by Yellowstone

What are teachers supposed to do exactly? If it’s happening inside their classroom that’s one thing but if this is truly a small town school it may VERY WELL BE that some of the faculty know the parents and what’s going on in the family.
Good Lord back up and let facts come out.

What are teachers supposed to do exactly? If it’s happening inside their classroom that’s one thing but if this is truly a small town school it may VERY WELL BE that some of the faculty know the parents and what’s going on in the family.
Good Lord back up and let facts come out.
They added that the bullying had escalated recently, when his younger sister started getting picked on, too. Officials at the school didn’t intervene.
Jolliff said she was horrified to hear that friends of 17-year-old Dylan Butler, who police have identified as the shooter, say he was bullied for years and that teachers and school officials did nothing to protect him.

Two friends and their mother who spoke with the AP said Butler was a quiet person who had been bullied since elementary school.

All reports indicate the kid was bullied at school for years and it had been reported and nothing was done. When the bullies started in on his younger sister it was reported and the school didn't intervene.

The school including the faculty failed miserably and people were killed. Every faculty member who had knowledge of this and stood idly by should be fired. Laws need to be passed making faculty members criminally charged.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: bojihawk44
Beyond dumb to blame teachers. All teachers I know try their best to stop bullying and schools are full of posters and training on anti-bullying. Kids have been bullied forever and kids will continue to be bullied. We need to keep working on it but 99+% of bullied kids don’t shoot up schools. The kid had severe issues.

Beyond dumb to blame teachers. All teachers I know try their best to stop bullying and schools are full of posters and training on anti-bullying. Kids have been bullied forever and kids will continue to be bullied. We need to keep working on it but 99+% of bullied kids don’t shoot up schools. The kid had severe issues.
Do you think 12 years of bullying at school might have caused those severe issues?

Then when he saw the same thing happening to his innocent sister he snapped.

But in your world, those who are in charge of the school and the classroom have zero accountability in this?

They added that the bullying had escalated recently, when his younger sister started getting picked on, too. Officials at the school didn’t intervene.
Jolliff said she was horrified to hear that friends of 17-year-old Dylan Butler, who police have identified as the shooter, say he was bullied for years and that teachers and school officials did nothing to protect him.

Two friends and their mother who spoke with the AP said Butler was a quiet person who had been bullied since elementary school.

All reports indicate the kid was bullied at school for years and it had been reported and nothing was done. When the bullies started in on his younger sister it was reported and the school didn't intervene.

The school including the faculty failed miserably and people were killed. Every faculty member who had knowledge of this and stood idly by should be fired. Laws need to be passed making faculty members criminally charged.
The media reports the kid who died was shot 3 times.....and also claims that things escalated recently when his younger sister started getting picking on.

Without saying it I think the media is trying to suggest something.

Reactions: Hawk_82
A psycho tranny ODing on hormones will attack anywhere!
Don't blame the kid for this, or even the parents or teachers. This kid suffered a lot in his life and adults told him that he could be a woman and doing so would fix his problems.

It's not surprising that changing genders didn't fix his problem and in the process he learned to hate those who fed him these lies and who bullied him to start with.

Shooters like this do it because they want to make others suffer and feel a pain like they have endured.

Don't blame the kid for this, or even the parents or teachers. This kid suffered a lot in his life and adults told him that he could be a woman and doing so would fix his problems.

It's not surprising that changing genders didn't fix his problem and in the process he learned to hate those who fed him these lies and who bullied him to start with.

Shooters like this do it because they want to make others suffer and feel a pain like they have endured.
And you know this how?

You can bet the Teachers Union is already coaching the teachers on what to say "we didn't see or hear anything" repeat after me "we didn't see or hear anything" to investigators.
That Perry Iowa Teacher’s Union has been nothing but trouble from its inception!

Rico, Rico, Rico........where do you get your shit from?

Yes, that 6th grade girl must have really done [it] wrong.

When my son was in the 7th grade, at a Catholic school, his class went on a field trip a couple of weeks before the end of the school year. The bus had two teachers on board. One of the boys walked up the aisle slapping other kids in the head. My son was one of them. He didn't react. Two girls sitting behind him told the teacher. The teacher told the principal, Sister Jeri, who called me. The kid got 1 hour detention each day.

I told Sister Jeri that my son had been trained in self defense, and I was going to change my instructions to him about what to do in these situations. I had previously told him to only fight back if he really needed to in order to keep from being hurt. I told Sister Jeri the new instructions would be that if is struck first, to do whatever he needs to do to make sure he's not struck again. I added that someone would end up being hurt, and that I would expect no more punishment than detention, because that's the standard.

Sister Jeri said she thought the other kid was just playing. I asked her if she had ever been struck in the head, or otherwise struck in anger. She said no. I told her that boys play by hitting a shoulder, but never the head. She didn't understand that.

The bully didn't return to school the next year. Seems a couple of other parents had discussions with Sister Jeri as well, including a dad who happened to be a Bird Colonel in the Army. Sometimes educators need a real life example to understand the world isn't necessarily kumbaya.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT