ADVERTISEMENT

Bullying claims and eerie online posts: What we know about Iowa school shooter Dylan Butler

So he sure eliminated that issue by offing that little sixth grader, huh?
Then he offs himself? Wouldn’t he want to stick around to make sure the bullying of his sister stopped?
See why that doesn’t make sense?
You’re expecting a 17 yr old to think beyond today? If he and his sister were being bullied then he was just focused on stopping the bullying.

The nuns and priests at my Catholic grade school had way more education than the public, one room country school house teacher had. She would often take a nap at noon hour while the kids played outside and would often not wake up for 2 hours. We were jealous of the public school kids at the time. But later when our classmates became doctors, lawyers and military officers it was all forgotten...
Money has its advantages James…but you know that public school I attended we (my class) had more than our share of doctors, lawyers, CPAs, PhDs, engineers pharmacists and such…methinks last count was like 30 out of 125 grads in these professions. Shit happens…

WHO is reporting this, stickman? Internet gossip..rumor...innuendo? Who?
AP material... multiple articles concerning family interview regarding 17 yr old bullying and his recent change to his mental state when his little sister started getting bullied.

The 11 yr olds 3 GSW are also documented in multiple places including DSM Register article regarding that victim.

Link? I think not....this is an easy search and you appear to be in need of a little more mental stimulation.

Reactions: SB_SB
There is no reason to ever go into a school and shoot people.

What if they are all iowa state fans holding potential good OC candidates hostage and without killing them we'd have to bring Brian back?

Money has its advantages James…but you know that public school I attended we (my class) had more than our share of doctors, lawyers, CPAs, PhDs, engineers pharmacists and such…methinks last count was like 30 out of 125 grads in these professions. Shit happens…
Money? You're totally clueless. Small town Catholic school where mothers cleaned and supervised the playgrounds and lunchroom while the farm/town kids ate their brown bag lunches. Dads mowed the grounds and pushed snow. Two nuns, one taught 6-8 and one 1-3. Lay teachers taught 4-5. Money? Ha, ha,ha...Our priest had 3 PhDs he was recognized as an authority on the English language. He was a scratch golfer who played in the Pebble Beach Pro AM with Arnold Palmer. He's hit wedges that us kids would shag and toss the 100 yards back to him..

A century ago, on Dec. 28, 1920, John Bremner was born in Brisbane, Australia. Best known to a generation of Jayhawk journalists for his vast knowledge, rigorous courses and larger-than-life personality, Dr. Bremner influenced journalists beyond the University of Kansas through his two books, “HTK” and “Words on Words,” and his newsroom seminars.

John Bremner headshot
Bremner began his career not as a journalist but as a Roman Catholic priest. His life’s journey took him from Australia to the Vatican to Ireland to the United States where he made the turn toward journalism in the master’s program at Columbia University. He later earned a doctorate in mass communications at the University of Iowa, left the priesthood and came to Kansas.

From 1969 to 1985, Bremner taught copy editing at the William Allen White School of Journalism and Mass Communications. Using both good and regrettable examples from news publications, he drilled grammar, headline writing and skepticism into students, cementing KU’s reputation for high-quality editing. During that period, he also traveled the country as a newsroom consultant, conducting dozens of training courses for professional journalists through the Gannett Foundation. (View “John Bremner: Guardian of the Newsroom,” made by the Gannett Foundation).

As part of his mental illness maybe but that sure doesn't justify it like you're trying to do. So do you have a kill list too?

He might not be mentally ill. He maybe just reached a point where he said enough is enough and he wasn't going to allow it to happen to his sister. You (and I) might not like his solution to the problem but maybe he felt that was his only option. I think it's wrong to look at this situation and just conclude it's a mental health issue. That's too easy of a answer and doesn't solve the problem. If you mess with the bear cub, be prepared for the mother to go into protect mode. It sounds like this kid was doing the same thing. If so, that's a lesson that people need to learn. Cross a line and you might not like the outcome. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. There was a lot of people that love the song "try that in a small town", here's a section of that song:

See how far ya make it down the road
Around here, we take care of our own
You cross that line, it won't take long
For you to find out, I recommend you don't

Is everyone who loves this song mentally ill because it sure sounds to me like it's a threat if someone crosses the line.

Do we know if he escalated to his parents, teachers, authorities? Or just snapped and shot an 11 year old?

Really, you're expecting a 17 year old kid who's been bullied his whole life to have an escalation plan? You don't think the teachers saw bullying going on? What are you expecting the teachers to do? Are you really expecting him to go to the police and say his sister is being bullied? This is a case where you might not like the outcome but you better take notice and find the real problem and not just label it a mental health issue. In the end it might be just a mental health problem, but I wouldn't just assume that based on what happened.

Really, you're expecting a 17 year old kid who's been bullied his whole life to have an escalation plan? You don't think the teachers saw bullying going on? What are you expecting the teachers to do? Are you really expecting him to go to the police and say his sister is being bullied? This is a case where you might not like the outcome but you better take notice and find the real problem and not just label it a mental health issue. In the end it might be just a mental health problem, but I wouldn't just assume that based on what happened.
I'd say he had an escalation plan....

What are schools supposed to do, exactly?

Bullying is incredibly hard to prove because in most cases it's just one person's story versus another person's story. It's not like the school has the authority to perform an investigation or confiscate items like phones and go through them without some sort of legal backing.

Once again, people who don't work in schools always have the best ideas as to how to run them.
There's a lot to this ^.

I would also add that today's world is a lot different than when I grew up. Bullying was pretty straight forward back then. The biggest difference now is that a lot of people are way more easily offended. People don't know where to draw the line between playful interaction and bullying. Bullying is definitely wrong, but I also think a lot of people, adults included, need to be taught how to have a thicker skin.

There's a lot to this ^.

I would also add that today's world is a lot different than when I grew up. Bullying was pretty straight forward back then. The biggest difference now is that a lot of people are way more easily offended. People don't know where to draw the line between playful interaction and bullying. Bullying is definitely wrong, but I also think a lot of people, adults included, need to be taught how to have a thicker skin.
The "definition" of bullying has moved somewhat from aggressive behavior by a bully; to the "victim" believing they have a right to not be offended or uncomfortable in any way.

The other layer- how are teachers supposed to monitor "online" bullying?

Same old song and dance from the White House and democrat leaders, ban, ban, ban, restrict this and that. How about make sure the school administrators start to take bullying seriously to the point of denying bullies of an education due to expulsions, in essence forcing the bully's parents to home school their little monsters or whip them into being decent human beings. Perhaps the bully's parents should be put under the microscope, children live what they learn.

Same old song and dance from the White House and democrat leaders, ban, ban, ban, restrict this and that. How about make sure the school administrators start to take bullying seriously to the point of denying bullies of an education due to expulsions, in essence forcing the bully's parents to home school their little monsters or whip them into being decent human beings. Perhaps the bully's parents should be put under the microscope, children live what they learn.

While I'm all for gun control and limiting access, I do agree with what you're saying for this situation. When there's a shooting the left blames the gun and the right blames mental health. While both are valid things to consider, they're not always the reason. It's too easy to just blame every situation on guns and mental health. Every situation has to be looked at to determine of there was another solution. In this case, handling the bullying would be a start.

Reactions: RicoSuave102954
It wasn't an escalation plan, it was a revenge plan and he seems to have implemented it.
And if that had been my little girl it extracted its revenge from, I'd kill its entire phucking family for my blessed revenge. Assuming you'd be just as cool with that??

And if that had been my little girl it extracted its revenge from, I'd kill its entire phucking family for my blessed revenge. Assuming you'd be just as cool with that??

I'm not cool with what he did, I'm just pointing out that his actions might not be a mental health issue. For you, you're definitely an example of a mental health issue on so many layers. For one, you're a troll who isn't really good at it. But you keep trying.

Reactions: SocraticIshmael
Yes, but you're asking him to have an adult mature plan with multiple logical steps. Half the adults in the US can't even do that. You expectations of him are way to high.
So I’m guilty of too high of expectations. Darn.

I'm not cool with what he did, I'm just pointing out that his actions might not be a mental health issue. For you, you're definitely an example of a mental health issue on so many layers. For one, you're a troll who isn't really good at it. But you keep trying.
Oh you're such a phucking genius! 🤡 The only thing you've said that's remotely true, is I have mental health issues...but I don't necessarily consider that one of your blessed causes for me taking out someone's family for injuring my child. Now, the means and the end of that exercise, would definitely display the deep rooted mental health issues that I entertain. 🤣:eek:

Yes, but you're asking him to have an adult mature plan with multiple logical steps. Half the adults in the US can't even do that. You expectations of him are way to high.
I don't think it's unreasonable to NOT expect him to murder someone, and attempt to murder others, when there's no indication there was ever any physical harm.

Reactions: TennNole17
I don't think it's unreasonable to NOT expect him to murder someone, and attempt to murder others, when there's no indication there was ever any physical harm.
The hope is that he doesn't murder someone. It used to be you could give someone the finger when driving and the worst thing they did was give it back or drive on your ass. In the world today, you just might get shot. It's not unreasonable to NOT expect a President to try and have his Vice President hung, but here we are.

The hope is that he doesn't murder someone. It used to be you could give someone the finger when driving and the worst thing they did was give it back or drive on your ass. In the world today, you just might get shot. It's not unreasonable to NOT expect a President to try and have his Vice President hung, but here we are.
You're the problem and you don't even know it! 🤣 🤡o_O

Give us a break from your political hyperbole. It's UNREASONABLE to murder someone because of verbal bullying. There's no justification. None. Especially when there's no evidence the parents were involved in solving it, etc., etc.

Reactions: Here_4_a_Day
Give us a break from your political hyperbole. It's UNREASONABLE to murder someone because of verbal bullying. There's no justification. None. Especially when there's no evidence the parents were involved in solving it, etc., etc.

I agree that it shouldn't happen but I'm not surprised when it does happen. And don't be surprised if it happens more often if people don't want to try to solve for the problem but rather blame it all on guns or mental health.

Reactions: stickman80
You're a fvckin' kook.

• Love
I agree that it shouldn't happen but I'm not surprised when it does happen. And don't be surprised if it happens more often if people don't want to try to solve for the problem but rather blame it all on guns or mental health.
Maybe he should start meditating and praying to your DEI god.

The "definition" of bullying has moved somewhat from aggressive behavior by a bully; to the "victim" believing they have a right to not be offended or uncomfortable in any way.
This is exactly what's been fed to kids for at least a decade.

If you feel offended/slighted, that is violence.

We need to decarcerate for those who commit "violence," but words are aCkShUaLlY violence and anyone who offends me needs to be locked up.

Reactions: TennNole17
You're a fvckin' kook.
The taliban in the tribal areas, used to shoot their enlisted captives in the back of the head. The officers....................the officers they would string up in the brilliant Afghan sun and slowly.........very slowly strip their skin away. Whew....talk about being SLOOOOOW roasted alive! This is what should happen to school shooters, pedophiles and their defenders.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT