ADVERTISEMENT

Bury this game & let's move on. What O Linemen are in the portal?

Hopefully we hire an OC with O Line experience & Fire Barnett. Maybe OC brings in new talent on the o line. Anything but repeating with this same group of guys.

We have tried it twice. I hear the 3rd time is the charm. We don't have any scholarships available. The offensive line is the largest liability we have outside of QB.

Reactions: Hendy hawk
I imagine they won’t even watch the film of this one. Maybe the new OC will to evaluate performance of players. I’d flush it and move toward next season.

Hopefully we hire an OC with O Line experience & Fire Barnett. Maybe OC brings in new talent on the o line. Anything but repeating with this same group of guys.
We heard all summer long about the growth of this OL and when the season started we all realized that wasn’t true.
Part of it is O line coach, the line has not been taught how to trade off DL and they can not pick up a blitz to save their lives. We also are so slow of foot.
Part of it is bad talent.
Take bad scheme, bad teaching and bad talent and you have a porous OL.
Obviously, we are not going to replace all 5 and I do think our interior 3 could be better with better coaching but out OTs need to be replaced.
Transfer Feith played OG but was bad, Transfer Jackson at OT never saw the field. So we missed on both OL transfers last year.

Our offense will be no better next year if we can’t protect a fragile McNamara with Hill as backup.

Reactions: WaterTower
New OC needs to have the ability to make a change at OL coach, as well as hit the portal. Also need to tell DeJong he can return, but is not guaranteed a scholarship.

Reactions: Thunderlips71
We have no scholarships available….the offense you saw today will be the offense that is returning next year. With Cade and Lachey back

Reactions: Bruceman44
Iowa hit the portal this year, with no real ROI due to injuries or just flat out missing. I am VERY skeptical that KF will try that again, just because of this season and how it all played out.

So here’s the thing. You can’t say bury this game and then say “hopefully we hire an OC with o line experience and fire Barnett. And Maybe bring in new talent. We’re totally F’d right now. Kirk doesn’t fire anyone, we have no room for portal linemen, we have no wide receivers and our hope at QB is a guy with 2 ACL surgeries. Kirk believes his way works, even after the last 3 years. He either changes or nothing changes.

Surely Hill will move on after this performance? Even he must have a limit as to how much failure he can live with. it cannot be fun.

Reactions: MitchLL
I'd say the chances of KF firing Barnett are the same as him firing his son....zero chance. JB would be a great OL hire, but pretty sure he would be a package deal....OC/OL consultant. (not sure of that is even feasible though)

New OC needs to have the ability to make a change at OL coach, as well as hit the portal. Also need to tell DeJong he can return, but is not guaranteed a scholarship.
Dejong is taking his Covid year. I don’t believe that counts against us?

So here’s the thing. You can’t say bury this game and then say “hopefully we hire an OC with o line experience and fire Barnett. And Maybe bring in new talent. We’re totally F’d right now. Kirk doesn’t fire anyone, we have no room for portal linemen, we have no wide receivers and our hope at QB is a guy with 2 ACL surgeries. Kirk believes his way works, even after the last 3 years. He either changes or nothing changes.
Amazing how Iowa can make the portal not helpful. We need WRs badly. More playmakers.

Amazing how Iowa can make the portal not helpful. We need WRs badly. More playmakers.
Quite honestly, as this past year proved, it doesn't matter who we add - if any, until/unless the offense evolves.

If Kirk doesn't give more freedom to the OC, then Kirk's tenure is not going to have a happy ending; and as frustrated as I have been with Kirk with how stubborn he's been regarding the offense, I still have too much respect for him to not see him end on a high note.

I've been saying the same thing for months. If we want a successful offense, it starts up front. The current guys we have don't cut it. They'd hardly cut it at a D-II school. It doesn't help Barnett is a terrible coach.

OLine guys should be first priority going into the offseason.

Surely Hill will move on after this performance? Even he must have a limit as to how much failure he can live with. it cannot be fun.

He seems tight with the receivers. May be why he got the nod over Lainez as to keep the locker room together.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT