ADVERTISEMENT

Cade, after the 1st Quarter: 5-18 (28%), 27 Yards, 2 INTs. Kirk, postgame, on where the QB room stands: “We expect Cade to be our QB.”

Actually Lester DID do his thing in the RZ and it directly led to FG's IIRC. Traditionally, we get 'goal to go' and run, run, run, but w/out checking the tape it seemed we passed more in those situations. Overall, we got too cute which is so anti Kirk in some situations. Namely, the first goal to go just get KJ in there vs Moulton as we he was stuffed for loss and changed that whole drive. Then, the ridiculous call of 3rd q, 1st and 10 at the +42 and we run some sort of waggle and throw against the grain? We didn't zig when they zagged, they knew we would try a shot there, just toss sweep and get some points and really any point there game over.

So frustrating, about 10 things went against us that normally don't and some of those are very un Kirk like so Lester got his way at least somewhat Sat.
Hard to say about the goal line plays. The second half was classic Kirk though. Putting Moulton in those goal line packages was also very Kirk like.

at this point it's not one thing. It's a lot of things. Philosophy, OL, WR, & QB recruiting and development. Beating ISU and B1G West teams in tight low scoring games made it all worse. no incentive to change. This will not change until they lose more games.

thats why i was surprised when that 4 star WR recently committed

The guy that just had like 2 catches for 10 yards this past Friday night? I’m not that surprised. Also, I took a look at who was recruiting him. I think his other big offers were Minnesota, Iowa St, and Purdue. I found it interesting that Illinois didn’t offer.

The guy that just had like 2 catches for 10 yards this past Friday night? I’m not that surprised. Also, I took a look at who was recruiting him. I think his other big offers were Minnesota, Iowa St, and Purdue. I found it interesting that Illinois didn’t offer.
Sobering. I'm thinking about what happened to the last WR we had who was an All-American and got drafted into the NFL. Oh, that's right. Coach decided that putting him on the starting unit and making him a featured part of the offense was the wrong idea so he transferred to our division "rival" and lead them to a division title while we rode his betters to a 7 win regular season.

We, like others, have most often beaten Nebraska because they screw up. If Rhule has coached that out of them, they are noticeably more talented than Iowa and should win. If our offense doesn’t improve, they will win handily.

On the 3rd and long throw to Reece, in stadium it looked like a terrible miss by Cade. Having watched the tv broadcast I see the defender had altered Reece's timing on the route and the broadcaster also noted that.

The deeper throw late to #5 was gonna be on the money, just great D by the second defender flying in there to break it up.

Reactions: scotihawk
On one of the 1st and goal plays where we ended up kicking a FG, Pascuzzi was in and absolutely got blown up and backward by the ISU defender and he ran it down from behind.

On one of the 1st and goal plays where we ended up kicking a FG, Pascuzzi was in and absolutely got blown up and backward by the ISU defender and he ran it down from behind.
100%, he had zero business blocking that guy, that loss on first down jettisoned the whole goal to go scenario.

The Iowa Offense vs. Clown U:

............................1st......2nd....3rd....4th
...........................Qtr......Qtr.....Qtr....Qtr......TOTAL
1st Downs........7............3........3.........3..............16
3rd Down......2-4.......1-5........1-2.....2-6........6-17
3rd Down....50%....20%....50%...33%......35%
Passing.........8-11......2-8......1-3.......2-7......13-29
Pass %.........72%.....25%....33%...29%.......45%
Pass Yds.........72.........8.........6.........13...........99
Rushes.............7..........10........8.........13...........38
Rush Yds.........41........75.......76........12.........204
Per Carry.......5.9.......7.5......9.5......0.9..........5.4
Total Yds........113......83........82......25.........303
Points...............7...........6...........6........0...........19
Time of Possession...................................29:50
David is spot on in that tweet. It’s a ridiculous comment from KF and yet the media gave him a pass on it.

Wow. Why isn’t that guy, a D1 offer from those few schools, dominating the Illinois high-school DBs? 6’3” and two catches with no TDs…

I played against Jeff Horner in high school - to say he was unstoppable in Football would be 100% accurate. I expect guys that are getting offered by Iowa to be unstoppable in h.s.

2 catches for 10 yards is sad.

• Haha
Reactions: HawkOn15
he also missed on not one but two TD passes, Brown was wide open behind the defense & Cade under throws it by 10 yards, then he misses a wide open Gill in the end zone. possibly missed a 3rd as well throwing the ball behind Gill at the beginning of the game

Hard to say about the goal line plays. The second half was classic Kirk though. Putting Moulton in those goal line packages was also very Kirk like.
The drive where 2 had a long run down to like their 25 and then he pulls him and puts 28 in. I am sure 2 was not begging to come out.

Will Lester get the final say IF he thinks Sullivan is their best option? I think it's pretty obvious that our other 2 coordinators get the final say on who they play.

Everyone can see that McNamara isn't a competent QB. If McNamara is their best option at QB then they have failed miserably once again in preparing for far and away the most important position in football. Again. If Sullivan is a competent QB and they don't play him, then it's a given that Lester has little say in running the offense. If Cade takes every snap in the final Big 10 tune up against Tulane, we'll have that answer.

Reactions: Thunderlips71
Everyone can see that McNamara isn't a competent QB. If McNamara is their best option at QB then they have failed miserably once again in preparing for far and away the most important position in football. Again. If Sullivan is a competent QB and they don't play him, then it's a given that Lester has little say in running the offense. If Cade takes every snap in the final Big 10 tune up against Tulane, we'll have that answer.

If this ends up being true, Lester might be looking to get out of Iowa City sooner rather than later

Still working himself into shape? LOL. I guess one must be in “shape” to throw an accurate 10yd pass or see an open receiver. Cade isn’t out of shape, he’s out of his comfort zone and isn’t being coached well.

Wow. Why isn’t that guy, a D1 offer from those few schools, dominating the Illinois high-school DBs? 6’3” and two catches with no TDs…

I played against Jeff Horner in high school - to say he was unstoppable in Football would be 100% accurate. I expect guys that are getting offered by Iowa to be unstoppable in h.s.

2 catches for 10 yards is sad.

I’m guessing you and I are the same age about. We didn’t play Mason City, just different conferences. There could be reasons why he didn’t have a good game ie: his QB didn’t have time to get him the ball, but when I see a Div 1 athlete you expect to have a better outing than that. I’m guessing he has done well at camps and that stat was an outlier.

I’m guessing you and I are the same age about. We didn’t play Mason City, just different conferences. There could be reasons why he didn’t have a good game ie: his QB didn’t have time to get him the ball, but when I see a Div 1 athlete you expect to have a better outing than that. I’m guessing he has done well at camps and that stat was an outlier.
I don’t disagree with anything you’ve said here but any high school with a quarterback should be able to just throw the ball up and have his D1-offered 6’3” receiver grab it and take it to the house like 95% of the time.

Unless, of course, we’re talking about a h.s. like St. Thomas Aquinas where there are D1 recruits all over the field.

• Haha
Reactions: HawkOn15
How do you NOT ****ing run the ball straight ahead 3 times?! GD quarterback sneak 3 times.
Im guessing they didn’t want to do that with Cade because of his injury issues. Eventually they did on the last drive trying to ice the game. If that truly is the case they needed to bring Sullivan in. Or you know just keep #2 in and hand it off to him. Frustrating.

Reactions: Bierhalter
Im guessing they didn’t want to do that with Cade because of his injury issues. Eventually they did on the last drive trying to ice the game. If that truly is the case they needed to bring Sullivan in. Or you know just keep #2 in and hand it off to him. Frustrating.
They should sub him out inside the 5 yd line. Sullivan and Lainez are built for QB keepers. Big, quick and strong QBs. It’s the perfect place to use them, especially when trying to protect Cade.

I don’t disagree with anything you’ve said here but any high school with a quarterback should be able to just throw the ball up and have his D1-offered 6’3” receiver grab it and take it to the house like 95% of the time.

Unless, of course, we’re talking about a h.s. like St. Thomas Aquinas where there are D1 recruits all over the field.

Yeah I get it. I’ve just never heard of a stat line like that before. Maybe I will try to find highlights of him

Sullivan can't be any worse

27 yds passing for the last 3 quarters of the game.....that's Deacon Hill type numbers....almost....

We, like others, have most often beaten Nebraska because they screw up. If Rhule has coached that out of them, they are noticeably more talented than Iowa and should win. If our offense doesn’t improve, they will win handily.
No way.

• Haha
Reactions: Bierhalter
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT