ADVERTISEMENT

Caitlin Clark and Angel Reese as co-Athletes of the year for 2023

conn53victor

All-Conference
Oct 15, 2014
The Sporting News named Caitlin Clark and Angel Reese as co-Athletes of the year for 2023. Previous winners include soccer superstar Lionel Messi, baseball's Shohei Ohtani, LeBron James, Tom Brady, Michael Jordan and Jackie Joyner-Kersee.

Pure insanity but to be expected. Angel is the type of player we've seen numerous times. There is nothing "original" about her. Griner is the best comparison and Griner was heads and shoulders better than Reese imo.

Clark, well, she's one of a kind in women's basketball. She has the potential to be transcendental. In many ways, she already is.

This seems obvious to me. It's to create debate and spark intensity in terms beyond sports (hint hint). The problem is...there is no logical debate from a sports perspective. The only people who'd disagree would be LSU fans for obvious reasons. Anyone else recognizes there is absolutely no correlation between the two players in terms of capability and production.

The Sporting News named Caitlin Clark and Angel Reese as co-Athletes of the year for 2023. Previous winners include soccer superstar Lionel Messi, baseball's Shohei Ohtani, LeBron James, Tom Brady, Michael Jordan and Jackie Joyner-Kersee.
Good grief - Reese should be nowhere near that award.

Pure insanity but to be expected. Angel is the type of player we've seen numerous times. There is nothing "original" about her. Griner is the best comparison and Griner was heads and shoulders better than Reese imo.

Clark, well, she's one of a kind in women's basketball. She has the potential to be transcendental. In many ways, she already is.

This seems obvious to me. It's to create debate and spark intensity in terms beyond sports (hint hint). The problem is...there is no logical debate from a sports perspective. The only people who'd disagree would be LSU fans for obvious reasons. Anyone else recognizes there is absolutely no correlation between the two players in terms of capability and production.
I'm no Reese fan at all, but people are a little quick to dismiss her accomplishments because they don't like the way she handles herself. She's a hell of an athlete, and her 30 some double/doubles this past season has never been done by anyone in NCAA basketball.

Caitlin swept all of the postseason awards and she, ALONE, put women's college basketball on the map. And now suddenly she and Angel are co-athletes of the year? What a joke.

Angel has about as much substance as the weight of her fake eyelashes.

GBuKX1ObsAEYwID

Ok. that's stupid. One's a role model and ones a thug.

if there was no Caitlin Clark or Iowa in the championship, she would be about as famous as every other women's player that came before her. She isn't on the level of Lobo, Bird, Tuarasi, Parker, Maya Moore, Grier, Stewart, or Boston.

She got shined up because of Clark. If they beat South Carolina in the finals she isn't sharing or winning this award. That's a fact.

One was Today Show famous before the title game. One wasn't until after.

Reactions: Whinny
I'm no Reese fan at all, but people are a little quick to dismiss her accomplishments because they don't like the way she handles herself. She's a hell of an athlete, and her 30 some double/doubles this past season has never been done by anyone in NCAA basketball.
I'm not saying she's not talented. She's athletic and can routinely create double doubles. She's worthy of being a consensus all-american. However, she's not anywhere near the level of Clark. To even be mentioned in the same echelon is ludacris. She's debatable as even being the second best player in women's basketball, yet, she's somehow the equivalent to Clark according to Sporting News. That doesn't make any sense at all.

I'm not saying she's not talented. She's athletic and can routinely create double doubles. She's worthy of being a consensus all-american. However, she's not anywhere near the level of Clark. To even be mentioned in the same echelon is ludacris. She's debatable as even being the second best player in women's basketball, yet, she's somehow the equivalent to Clark according to Sporting News. That doesn't make any sense at all.
I'll just say I THINK some people think that the controversy surrounding the two after that game was good for the womens game. After all every great hero needs a great villian, and Reese embrased her role of black hat......

I'll just say I THINK some people think that the controversy surrounding the two after that game was good for the womens game. After all every great hero needs a great villian, and Reese embrased her role of black hat......
Definitely the yin to Caitlin's yang. However, the greatest villain in all the land is Reese's coach in my opinion. I want to play them again to beat Mulkey, not Reese. Nobody deserves to get put out to the woodshed more than Mulkey does!

What a joke. If there was ever one year when one athlete is head and shoulders ahead of the rest is this year. Angel can barely stay in school with her 1.8 gpa. She deserves the big mouth award and that is it.

Caitlin swept all of the postseason awards and she, ALONE, put women's college basketball on the map. And now suddenly she and Angel are co-athletes of the year? What a joke.

GBuKX1ObsAEYwID
Imagine if you will if Angel had fake boobs equal to those fake eye lashes.

GBuKX1ObsAEYwID
LOL glad to see they were able to edit her lazy eye out of the pic.

angel-reese-01-rt-jef-230407_1680881044579_hpMain_16x9_1600.jpg

Also...

Good thing no one reads "Sporting News"....

Unless they create drama by handing out "awards" to people that drum up controversy and attention.... Hmmmmm.

Reactions: shudaddy
Pandering - pure and simple.

Reese can rebound and make put-backs, period. She has absolutely no outside shot beyond 3 feet. No doubt she's the most overrated player in women's college basketball.

Reese can rebound and make put-backs, period. She has absolutely no outside shot beyond 3 feet. No doubt she's the most overrated player in women's college basketball.
Cmon. So was Megan overrated as NPOTY? How many shots outside 3 ft did she make? What about no dribble all year Monica C? Overrated as first team all B1G? (Just for reference neither of those Iowa AA stars had 32 double/doubles in a season, and were not the defender that Reese is either). I can dislike Reese as much as anyone here, but for Christs sake take off the black and gold glasses. For the record, I think its silly to have them share the award, even to the point of being "pandering" to the masses as has been suggested. BUT our fans on here suggesting she's not a talent make Iowa fans look exactly like the kind of country bumpkins outsiders want to believe we are.....

Last edited:
Be Like Caitlin. Always gracious before and after the game. During the game, watch out, she'll steal your friggin' heart, will (and wallet).

Reactions: amahawk
Apparently, Sporting News is unaware of the fact that The Swamp Princess has already been benched by Mulkey this season and was prohibited from traveling with the team for an away game trip because of unacceptable behavior.

And yet they consider her co-equal to Caitlin Clark? I can't fathom the logic here. One is a role model and super athlete. The other is a media dog whistle. The only thing they have in common is basketball. Fortunately, most of us understand that.

Last edited:
It's easy to get double-doubles when you're allowed to rebound in a manner that can best be described as a 5 yr old throwing a flailing tantrum in a crowded elevator........................

I caught some of their games last year towards the end of the regular season and at the beginning of the tournament (which is far more than most any of you have watched anyone not named Iowa), and saw the way she rebounded and was getting praised for her tenacity and aggressiveness on the broadcast, and I was just like, ".......you f***ing kidding me with this sh**?

..................this *points finger* you see this is why people don't take women playing basketball seriously.........*still pointing finger*................this is why".

And I said this before they were even a potential opponent for Iowa, so suffice it to say, absolutely nothing about the championship game surprised me.

One of these two is going to have to make room for this trophy in a very crowded trophy case.

Cmon. So was Megan overrated as NPOTY? How many shots outside 3 ft did she make? What about no dribble all year Monica C? Overrated as first team all B1G? (Just for reference neither of those Iowa AA stars had 32 double/doubles in a season, and were not the defender that Reese is either). I can dislike Reese as much as anyone here, but for Christs sake take off the black and gold glasses. For the record, I think its silly to have them share the award, even to the point of being "pandering" to the masses as has been suggested. BUT our fans on here suggesting she's not a talent make Iowa fans look exactly like the kind of country bumpkins outsiders want to believe we are.....
You seem to be unaware of Megan’s achievements. [Among her many other records], she had 33 double doubles her senior season (tied for the most ever), 88 for her career (4th most) and averaged a double double for her career. Here is her Iowa bio and stats that list these and her many other achievements…
Note also that she was 1 for 2 for her career on 3 pointers.
😎

What a joke.

CC AINEC

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT