ADVERTISEMENT

Caitlin Clark left off the Olympic team

Here’s the thing, I think that there will be STRONG pressure to get her on the team. But she’d be smart to turn it down if she actually wants to have a career in the wnba.
She’s talented enough, but she needs to send a signal to the rest of the league that while her fans think she’s bigger than the league she doesn’t.
Dude - she is 13th in the league in scoring and 4th in league in assists. I think she is “talented enough” and already had proven herself. I think the better thing to do is look at precedence and has the Olympic team taken many players months out of college and WNBA rookies before.

The last 2020 team had zero. 2016 squad had 1 in Breeyana Stewart, 2012 team zero. So it is pretty uncommon. But then again, so too is Clark as the all time best college player and leading candidate for rookie of year. To me it seems a no brainer but they feared a bad locker room sideshow and players freezing her out of games due to what is hard to deny an angry and overall jealous reaction of her fame by WNBA veterans who are angry/sad that they never got the attention and money she has, in part, due to race. So instead of embracing the attention she gives WNBA and would have too the Olympic team, they do the opposite, unable to see the opportunity. It was an unforced error by the sport continuing the mistakes the WNBA league and many players are making.

It is for sure a complicated and racially charged situation. I can see why some of the amazing WNBA players are bitter at how the Midwest Iowa white girl is getting so much more money and attention when she is not even the top 10 player in league…yet. But the reality is, they should have swallowed pride and embraced the opportunity CC gives to elevate league and sport and are screwing it up IMHO. They had 20k people show up to watch her play in Washington this week. She is elevating the entire league. People are talking about other rookies like her rival Reece and the smoke show Brink. They are going to blow it if not careful.

I might have watched a game or two with CC on the team. Without her it's just another WNBA game to me and I don't watch those unless she's playing. If there's nothing better on and I scroll by an Aces game I might watch for a few minutes but that's not appointment viewing for me.

I thiu
On WNBA rosters?

Happens all the time.

Olympic roster? Not a WNBA decision. Maybe Google past Olympic teams and see how many rookie players were represented on them...
I thought the last 2 or 3 overall picks made the Olympic team in their rookie years. It’s the same cabal - more or less - making roster decisons.

Here’s the thing, I think that there will be STRONG pressure to get her on the team. But she’d be smart to turn it down if she actually wants to have a career in the wnba.
She’s talented enough, but she needs to send a signal to the rest of the league that while her fans think she’s bigger than the league she doesn’t.
Do you intentionally have the worst takes on Clark? You have been wrong about just about everything for a year and a half.

IMO it was was 50/50 if she made the team. If that decision was based on talent. I think most would be alright with that at the end of the day.

The problem is when those choosing the 12 players say things, like we were concerned how her fans would react with lack of playing time. Translation we have a bunch of jealous bitter women who would not be happy if she's on the team. Even taking the statement at face value shows this was not about her being one of the best 12 players to take to Paris.

USA basketball just like the WNBA are more then happy in killing the golden goose.

We never agree on other things - but you make a good point here.

I’m not sure if you are agreeing or quibbling with me. They scheduled the tryout so she couldn’t try out.

LOLWUT?

The tryouts are roughly the same time every year. Players on teams playing deep into the NCAA tourney may not be able to attend in any particular year - depends on NCAA schedule.

I'm simply asking if the players you are referring to who got on to the team as WNBA rookies WERE able to participate in tryouts, because if they did, you're still not making an apples-apples comparison here.

EDIT: Per Google, it appears that Taurasi DID participate in the tryouts in 2004, and was exceptional. Ergo, comparing that to CC doesn't appear to be apples-apples here.

FYI: Candace Parker was both Rookie of the Year and League MVP in her first WNBA season. While I expect Clark to achieve similar accolades in her career, she does not look like League MVP this year. I do agree that putting her on the team would create a lot more buzz, but not sure she'd be a team star like Parker or Taurasi were.

Last edited:
LOLWUT?

The tryouts are roughly the same time every year. Players on teams playing deep into the NCAA tourney may not be able to attend in any particular year - depends on NCAA schedule.

I'm simply asking if the players you are referring to who got on to the team as WNBA rookies WERE able to participate in tryouts, because if they did, you're still not making an apples-apples comparison here.

EDIT: Per Google, it appears that Taurasi DID participate in the tryouts in 2004, and was exceptional. Ergo, comparing that to CC doesn't appear to be apples-apples here.

FYI: Candace Parker was both Rookie of the Year and League MVP in her first WNBA season. While I expect Clark to achieve similar accolades in her career, she does not look like League MVP this year. I do agree that putting her on the team would create a lot more buzz, but not sure she'd be a team star like Parker or Taurasi were.
Perhaps not intentional, but perhaps so:

Never given a real chance to try out — USA Basketball preposterously scheduled her tryout during the Women’s Final Four, when she was leading Iowa to the national title game for a second consecutive season — Clark now has been told by the U.S. national governing body of basketball one simple word: No.

You are pro-racism?
Did you want to nominate yourself then?
fWx327.gif

Perhaps not intentional, but perhaps so:

Never given a real chance to try out — USA Basketball preposterously scheduled her tryout during the Women’s Final Four, when she was leading Iowa to the national title game for a second consecutive season — Clark now has been told by the U.S. national governing body of basketball one simple word: No.

That is beyond ridiculous and actually some interesting foreshadowing of what was to come because during this same stretch of time the veteran WNBA players that do college basketball analysis and draft analysis were definitely showing their asses and pettiness. So to know at the same exact time, one of if not the greatest women’s college basketball player who was causing more people to watch the women’s final four than the men’s final four (and many other sports) was not allowed a chance to try out for Olympic team is simply beyond belief.

I had not realized this part of story and assumed she had tried out and was not viewed quite on par with 12 other players.

I mean, there is no other way around the story at this part. It is a giant mix of jealousy and reverse racism, fueled by, and we have to acknowledge, that not a single other supremely talented female basketball player prior, most of whom are black, had ever had this mass appeal and in large parts due to race also. Race is a huge part of the story and it is undeniable. Both on the terrible behavior and pettiness and the high ratings and attention to women’s basketball.

To me, last year and into the final four, I can see how these women are so bitter because of the above. But when the tournament ratings started coming out came out and endorsements and contract that followed, and now seeing wnba massively increase ratings and attendance, these women, top to bottom (executives and players) are being massive see you next Tuesdays and really doing all they can to make sure their sport never transcends to a higher level. Just asinine. A classic tale of cutting of your nose to spite your face. They are going to kill the golden goose.

Last edited:
That is beyond ridiculous and actually some interesting foreshadowing of what was to come because during this same stretch of time the veteran WNBA players that do college basketball analysis and draft analysis were definitely showing their asses and pettiness. So to know at the same exact time, one of if not the greatest women’s college basketball player who was causing more people to watch. The women’s final four than the men’s final four was not allowed a chance to try out for Olympic team is simply beyond belief. I had not realized this part of story and assumed she had tried out and was not viewed quite on par with 12 other players.

I mean, there is no other way around the story at this part. It is a giant mix of jealousy and reverse racism, fueled though we have to acknowledge, that not a single other supremely talented female basketball player, most of whom are black, has never had this mass appeal in large parts to race also.

To me, last year and into the final four, I can see how these women are so bitter. But when the ratings came out and endorsements came out and now seeing wnba massively increase ratings and attendance, these women, top to bottom (executives and players) are being massive see you next Tuesdays and really doing all they can to make sire their sport never transcends to a higher level. Just asinine.
You could write an MBA case study on this titled: Cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Top 13 in scoring, top 4 in assists, gets blitzed, double teamed and fouled at a higher rate than anyone in the league ainec (what's that tell you dummies)... oh yea, and is the most recognizable female player in world.

All these counter arguments are completely stupid. Does that old hag Taurasi post here?

The thing I don’t get is how does NBC and US Olympic folks and WNBA let it happen. The ratings and attention she would have got would have been so so so good for all three entities. Just asinine. It is so stupid that unless CC makes it clear she wants no part now, I think some folks may step in. The final four numbers were insane and they would have been even higher. I predict within 7 days one player will withdraw due to health and CC will take spot.

Reactions: HawkMD and VodkaSam
Complete stupidity to not have Clark on the team. Does not matter if she doesn’t qualify statistically, she’s the Micheal Jordan(popularity wise) of women’s basketball.
This. The WNBA is shitting on a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to grow their sport internationally because of pride and petty jealousy.

Clark is smashing attendance and ratings records everywhere she goes. But let’s instead send 58-year-old Diana Taurasi back for her 9th Olympics even though she hasn’t been either first or second team All-WNBA since before the last Olympics.

The Olympics
Is politics. I've actually known a couple guys that went to the Olympics or tried out and didn't make it with BMX. I'm an old school BMX'er not a fan of the Olympics. Not a fan of BMX in the Olympics. I think it happened in 2008. Anyway I know for a fact there's a bunch of screwed up politics involved in this thing. I think BMX racing should be like x-game stuff not Olympics.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT