ADVERTISEMENT

Caitlin Clark: Nation's BEST GUARD. USBWA 1st Team All American. WBCA&USBWA Nat'l Freshman of YR. 799 Pts is Iowa FR Record. 26.6 PPG is #1 in Nation

I just crunched some numbers. If Clark goes scoreless in the next game, she will still lead the nation in points per game. She needs 17 points in the next two games to stay on top and 44 in the next three games. I think she finishes as the scoring leader. She has the most total points and assists in the nation this season. She is close in assists per game. What a year!
NCAA Women's Basketball Statistical Leaders

UConn is gonna blow us out all the way back to Iowa unfortunately. If we can't hang with Maryland no way in hell we hang with UConn. They are just on another than we are but will be interesting to see the Paige vs. Caitlin matchup. Seems like Paige might guard Caitlin as she's guarding Orange's PG?
You are assuming that UConn is better than Maryland. They are of course the top seed, but as been mentioned in this forum, Maryland has appeared to be much more dominant over their opponents than has UConn. It just could be that Maryland is the best team this year. I’m optimistic that the Hawks can give them a closer game than they did Maryland. There is no harm in holding out some hope that the Hawks can pull the upset, however unlikely that may be. I’m hoping.

You are assuming that UConn is better than Maryland. They are of course the top seed, but as been mentioned in this forum, Maryland has appeared to be much more dominant over their opponents than has UConn. It just could be that Maryland is the best team this year. I’m optimistic that the Hawks can give them a closer game than they did Maryland. There is no harm in holding out some hope that the Hawks can pull the upset, however unlikely that may be. I’m hoping.
FWIW, ESPN says Stanford & UConn are the best 2 teams of the Sweet 16; they have Maryland at #5 and Iowa at #11.

I don't think so. If you look at who analysts are picking they've all got UConn.
The media may still be picking UConn, but all the other UConn players definitely feel like they are slighted since all the talk is about Caitlin Clark and some Page Bueckers. I'm afraid they will play with a chip on their shoulders.

In general I think taking things personally or playing with a chip on one's shoulder doesn't have much if any impact in the short term. Are players really going to play better or harder in the Sweet 16 based on media coverage? It's the Sweet 16! You're two wins from a Final 4 and four wins from a Championship.

I do think taking things personally or having a chip on your shoulder can have an impact longer term in that it can make athletes work harder in practice or keep going to the gym when they otherwise might relax for the day.

Something like that might well have happened with Caitlin. When she played for Team USA she was a backup behind Bueckers and Hailey Van Lith. I read an article recently where someone (her father I think) suggested that motivated her to work harder and get better. Now she's ahead of Van Lith and on par with Bueckers. It's scary to think how good all three might be by the time they're seniors.

Reactions: haightt
Exa7UkfVcAELvRn

Even if the Hawks don't get it done today the anticipation & excitement for next season will be off the charts. Go Hawks!

Reactions: Franisdaman
March 27 Update:

Caitlin had 21 points in #5 Seed Iowa's 92-72 loss to #1 Seed UConn.

She has an NCAA-leading TWELVE 30-point games this season.

She finishes the season averaging 26.6 points per game (799 points in 30 games)

As you can see in what follows, she has one of the highest scoring averages by a freshman in Division I women's history.

The top 3 are:

* San Diego State's Tina Hutchinson at 29.9 in 1983-84
* Appalachian State's Valorie Whiteside at 27.1 in 1984-85
* Delaware's Elena Delle Donne at 26.7 in 2009-10 (ESPN Stats & Info)

Great year for the women and the future kooks bright. All 5 starters return and a top 20 recruiting class. Two sweet 16 appearances in 3 years.

On the mark... last 4 minutes not good, but an 8-12 pt margin in general. Played them better than MD even tho final score looks the same. On to next year!

Last edited:
Does her body language always look like she can’t believe she has to play with these other girls? First time I’ve really watched her, was surprised by that.

• Sad
Reactions: DewHawk
Does her body language always look like she can’t believe she has to play with these other girls? First time I’ve really watched her, was surprised by that.
I think you miss where her frustration comes from. I dont think she's used to the physicality of division one BB. Let's the refs know.

Two years ago little girls all over the country were watching Megan Gustafson play, and now they were watching Caitlin Clark. Has a team done more to the publicity of women's basketball in the last few years than Iowa?

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT