ADVERTISEMENT

California 'Skittles Ban' Advances to Governor's Desk, Here's What It Means for Consumers

Ahh, the old wive's tale of Halloween poisoning again. The only documented death from Halloween candy poisoning was perpetrated by Ronald Clark O'Brien when he put a cyanide laced Pixy Stick in his own son's candy stash back in 1974.

You're probably more likely to be poisoned by the chef at your favorite restaurant, and far, far more likely by your spouse based on actual historical occurrences.

Crazy story. So when my kids were little, there was an Australian family that moved to our neighborhood in Atlanta for like a 12 month period for the husband's job. He worked for BP I think. My daughters and their daughters became friends, so we'd sometimes end up in the same circles.

They were really excited for Halloween in the US, and our families went together for Trick or Treating. And as we started out, he expressed to me that he had grave concern about the candy and wasn't sure he would let his kids eat any of it, given the stories he had heard about how frequently in the US people were giving kids candy with razor blades or poison in it.

Well I assured him, as confidently as this post, that such concerns were an urban legend, and in fact there were no reported cases of such incidents ever documented. That there was absolutely no concern whatsoever...it's not actually a thing.

Well, the next day, I get a call, he asks me to come over. He shows me that someone had put some tabs of some kind of prescription meds in one of his daughters' bag. They looked like brown cubes, but were in a blister like medicine...luckily not something a kid could easily get open. Had the pharmaceutical name printed, so we could look it up...it was some kind of powerful animal tranquilizer, can't remember if it was for dogs or horses.

Not exactly the same as tainted candy, but I felt pretty stupid after how confidently I had proclaimed that any concern was stupid.

Also, all the kids got some Jack Chick booklets, which took some explaining as well. 🤣

They were a neat family. They were intent on seeing everything while they were in America. Every time I'd see them, they'd be like "yeah we drove to Niagara falls over the weekend" or "drove to the Grand Canyon over the holiday". Was kind of funny they threw the kids in the car and drove down to Mardi Gras because they'd heard of it. They were like "not sure that was a good idea...wasn't exactly a family activity."

Those kids did an entire lifetime of US destinations and sites in a year, pretty wild.

Reactions: goldmom
Crazy story. So when my kids were little, there was an Australian family that moved to our neighborhood in Atlanta for like a 12 month period for the husband's job. He worked for BP I think. My daughters and their daughters became friends, so we'd sometimes end up in the same circles.

They were really excited for Halloween in the US, and our families went together for Trick or Treating. And as we started out, he expressed to me that he had grave concern about the candy and wasn't sure he would let his kids eat any of it, given the stories he had heard about how frequently in the US people were giving kids candy with razor blades or poison in it.

Well I assured him, as confidently as this post, that such concerns were an urban legend, and in fact there were no reported cases of such incidents ever documented. That there was absolutely no concern whatsoever...it's not actually a thing.

Well, the next day, I get a call, he asks me to come over. He shows me that someone had put some tabs of some kind of prescription meds in one of his daughters' bag. They looked like brown cubes, but were in a blister like medicine...luckily not something a kid could easily get open. Had the pharmaceutical name printed, so we could look it up...it was some kind of powerful animal tranquilizer, can't remember if it was for dogs or horses.

Not exactly the same as tainted candy, but I felt pretty stupid after how confidently I had proclaimed that any concern was stupid.

Also, all the kids got some Jack Chick booklets, which took some explaining as well. 🤣

They were a neat family. They were intent on seeing everything while they were in America. Every time I'd see them, they'd be like "yeah we drove to Niagara falls over the weekend" or "drove to the Grand Canyon over the holiday". Was kind of funny they threw the kids in the car and drove down to Mardi Gras because they'd heard of it. They were like "not sure that was a good idea...wasn't exactly a family activity."

Those kids did an entire lifetime of US destinations and sites in a year, pretty wild.
That's a bit crazy that someone would be reckless enough to throw that in their bags. I had to look up who Jack chick was, I had no idea. What a whackadoodle.

That's a bit crazy that someone would be reckless enough to throw that in their bags. I had to look up who Jack chick was, I had no idea. What a whackadoodle.

If you are of a certain age, Jack Chick comic booklets were something you came across from time to time. If you've seen the "Sickos" meme, that's from a Jack Chick booklet.

Agree it’s far more likely NOT to happen but nonetheless it would not be out of the question in the world we live in today.
I agree that fentanyl ingestion is something we should worry about for kids though. I know not all kids experiment but say your kid goes to a movie with a bunch of friends and one happened to ‘score’ what they thought was Percocet or something but it turns out to be fentanyl. A little peer pressure and even a good kid could end up dead over something so coming of age and trivial.

I don’t have an answer but I guess at this point kids as young as 8 or 9 years old should start getting it drilled into their heads to never take a pill not given to them by a nurse/doctor/parent.

Reactions: goldmom
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT