ADVERTISEMENT

Can anyone honestly say Kirk is serious about improving the offense?

Was that his answer to the question, how many yards are we going to get on first down?

What a ****ing joke.

Kirk is either that conceited and giving the Brian naysayers the middle finger or he really is that clueless.

JFC
Got the stat for ya boss.....
From 2012-2021.....

24 Freshman have committed to Iowa as WR's. Only 5 have graduated from Iowa as WR's.
Off the top of my head
Tevaun Smith
Brandon Smith
ISM
Nico Ragaini
#5 is escaping me but I want to say Jacob Hillyer for some reason.

Pathetic doesn't even describe it.

From 2012-2021.....

24 Freshman have committed to Iowa as WR's. Only 5 have graduated from Iowa as WR's.
Off the top of my head
Tevaun Smith
Brandon Smith
ISM
Nico Ragaini

Wow. That is more pathetic than I realized.

Good grief.

From 2012-2021.....

Off the top of my head
Tevaun Smith
Brandon Smith
ISM
Nico Ragaini

I am beyond the point of caring about Iowa Football. Next season will show the failure of KF to seriously improve the Iowa offense. The results of Wisconsin, Ohio State, UCLA and Washington will give BG all she needs to replace him.

I am beyond the point of caring about Iowa Football. Next season will show the failure of KF to seriously improve the Iowa offense. The results of Wisconsin, Ohio State, UCLA and Washington will give BG all she needs to replace him.
Weird thing is I think Wash and UCLA are wins. OhSt is a L and WIS is a tossup. Rinse and repeat, more of the same.

You guys honestly think KF isn't interested in improving the offense?

LMFAO. That can't even be a real opinion. A f...ing joke is a much more accurate characterization.

KF has more competitiveness and pride in his fingernail than any of you will ever have.

Talk about clueless
Of course he is. You don’t think Brian wanted to improve as well? I wanted him to improve 100%. I was a huge fan in his early years.

The reality is we aren’t improving and haven’t the last few years. The offense as a whole unit is not clicking.

We had so much time to bring in some fresh minds to try and clean this up. We did a horrible job and JB has proven to not help us improve anything. We have continued to get worse every year!

When this happens, people get fired. That is the reality of coaching. Results or move on.

Now if Kirk is putting more pride into his god damn finger nail than this program, then he can move on as well!

Plenty of time for him to focus on his mani/pedis in retirement. But not on my watch!

• Haha
Reactions: eyesofhawk
What a ****ing joke.

Kirk is either that conceited and giving the Brian naysayers the middle finger or he really is that clueless.

JFC
Talk about clueless. So you think you are able to judge the ability of our new WR coach better than Kirk ? Wow, your ego is out of control. Let's see how he does. He may turn out to be excellent.

Since you don't care, it is odd to see you here predicting next season's results ,lol. By the way, I think the Hawkeyes will be outstanding next fall. Go Hawks !

Talk about clueless. So you think you are able to judge the ability of our new WR coach better than Kirk ? Wow, your ego is out of control. Let's see how he does. He may turn out to be excellent.

Dr Evil Whatever GIF

He may turn out to be excellent.
I mean, sure, stranger things have happened, but the likelihood of Bud improving the wide receiver room in terms of recruiting and production is pretty slim.

I don’t think anyone needs an ego to understand that.

no he's not. it's obviously obvious.

It won't affect him long term. But it will affect his team going forward in new B1G and the new media driven playoff system.

I'd like to see a poll of who likes or dislikes the Lester hire combined with if they think Kirk will let him/not let him run the offense he wants. I'd do it but polls confuzzle me

Is he serious? Does he want to? Is he willing to put in the effort to? Is he open to change.

Yes. Yes. In his mind yes. No.

If Kirk was a stupid man, a very lazy man. The question of if he wants Iowa to succeed would be valid. He is neither, you don't become a head coach at a P5 program, and have enough success to at one point be a hot name for NFL jobs if you aren't.

But his success, and tenure have caused him to become complacent imo. He has something that no major college coach has today. Immunity from the hot seat. Can you name another program that you would consider serious about contention that would have allowed what's happened at Iowa. A coach keeping his son as the offensive coordinator despite being terrible at it, for years?

Kirk has a lifetime gig, and he's content with being average to every so often just below very good. Many Hawkeye fans think of him as a legend. Simply because of his tenure. Despite the fact he's never won one solo conference title. He has one NY6 Bowl win.

But I will say that he's not overpaid at least. He was five years ago, but not anymore. In a world where PJ Fleck gets 6 million a year, Kirk might be underpaid. So perhaps whatever Brian was getting paid, made up for that.😅

Reactions: ClarindaA's
There's a lot I could say about the type of people who are clueless about how significant 92-0 was regarding the 2023 football team. None of it is very complimentary.
I know exactly how significant it was. It was significant to the tune of 0-3.

In what world are wins minimized and loses inflated? In the world of weak minded fans that have agendas outside of a win/loss record.

There isn't room in the record books for commentary. Some may say the Michigan game was embarrassing because Iowa didn't score. Some may say it was the closest 26-0 game you'll ever see and that it was an impressive showing by Iowa. Good thing is the record book cares not about these commentaries and opinions and simply records the game as an L for Iowa

In what world are wins minimized and loses inflated? In the world of weak minded fans that have agendas outside of a win/loss record.

There isn't room in the record books for commentary. Some may say the Michigan game was embarrassing because Iowa didn't score. Some may say it was the closest 26-0 game you'll ever see and that it was an impressive showing by Iowa. Good thing is the record book cares not about these commentaries and opinions and simply records the game as an L for Iowa
In a world where where voters determine whether or not you make the playoffs because that is the world we live in.

But that is only if making the 12 team playoff is a priority which it doesn't appear to be for a coach that doesn't think a competent offense is necessary and that fans who care about him and his fragile ego more than the team. Won't be able to count on schedules like '15, '21 and '23 going forward either

This 10 win team gets left out and that matters a lot to the players and most Iowa fans

Reactions: RagnarLothbrok
In a world where where voters determine whether or not you make the playoffs because that is the world we live in.

But that is only if making the 12 team playoff is a priority which it doesn't appear to be for a coach that doesn't think a competent offense is necessary and that fans who care about him and his fragile ego more than the team. Won't be able to count on schedules like '15, '21 and '23 going forward either

This 10 win team gets left out and that matters a lot to the players and most Iowa fans
Never has Kirk said that a competent offense isn't necessary.

Your entire post is complete conjecture.

What the hell do future schedules have to do with last season's performance? All the man can do is attempt to win the games that are on his schedule. He will do the same thing this year.

I feel sorry for people who feel the need to minimize a successful season based on schedule. KF didn't just get lucky because of an easy schedule 1, or 2, or 3 seasons. The man has been winning for OVER 20 YEARS. This qualification really makes you sound pathetic.

Ferentz' job is to win games. If he does that well enough to be considered for a playoff, he has done a great job. If the committee wants to leave Iowa out because they don't score enough, that's a sad commentary on them. KF's priority can't ever be anything but simply to win. Playing lower scoring games is part of the path that has consistently produced winning teams for over 20 years

Never has Kirk said that a competent offense isn't necessary.

Your entire post is complete

If he does that well enough to be considered for a playoff, he has done a great job. If the committee wants to leave Iowa out because they don't score enough, that's a sad commentary on them. KF's priority can't ever be anything but simply to win. Playing lower scoring games is part of the path that has consistently produced winning teams for over 20 years
I think the point you are missing is the playoff committee is not worried about if you scored enough points but rather can they score points if they need to. I'm 100% with you that KF's philosophy still works in today's football. I will go one step further and say teams that have to score 40-50 to win have little to no chance winning a championship. At some point the O is going to an off day especially against the more physical teams...and if the D can't stop anyone then it's the same problem Iowa has but on the other side of the spectrum.

KF's philosophy of complimentary football works. It's his implementation of it that is failing. Complimentary football suggests that if one unit isn't having their best day then the other two can pick them up. Can the Iowa O pick up the slack if they need to? The answer is no (until proven otherwise). Can the O pick up the slack against a playoff caliber team? The answer is 92-0. That is on Iowa, not the selection committee who rightly can opine that Iowa has zero chance of upsetting a playoff team with its historically bad O.

Thanks for proving my point. That was easy.

I think the point you are missing is the playoff committee is not worried about if you scored enough points but rather can they score points if they need to. I'm 100% with you that KF's philosophy still works in today's football. I will go one step further and say teams that have to score 40-50 to win have little to no chance winning a championship. At some point the O is going to an off day especially against the more physical teams...and if the D can't stop anyone then it's the same problem Iowa has but on the other side of the spectrum.

KF's philosophy of complimentary football works. It's his implementation of it that is failing. Complimentary football suggests that if one unit isn't having their best day then the other two can pick them up. Can the Iowa O pick up the slack if they need to? The answer is no (until proven otherwise). Can the O pick up the slack against a playoff caliber team? The answer is 92-0. That is on Iowa, not the selection committee who rightly can opine that Iowa has zero chance of upsetting a playoff team with its historically bad O.
You do know you're wasting your time here.

*complementary

Otherwise:

Happy Simon Cowell GIF by America's Got Talent

has he ever? my point has always been he wants consistency to the point of this: I have always heard that McDonald's has a deal where a big mac is exactly the same in california as it is in NY or texas or iowa.

KF is the McDonald's of college football. put out exactly the same product consistently for 25 years.

One thing has become abundantly clear:

Kirk may be well-respected, but he is NOT well connected. Nobody on the offensive side of the ball who has options is choosing to coach at Iowa.

I actually think Kirk pulled a rabbit out of a hat with Lester. He was clearly told that he had zero input as to who the position coaches were, but, when you’re getting a massive raise and a P2 coordinator job, might as well go for it even if the circumstances aren’t great. If he does well, he will earn a TON of respect because other coaches look at the Iowa OC job as toxic. If it doesn’t go well, then he (and Johns and Chryst and who knows who else) can say, “I wouldn’t hold it against me/him, Kirk wouldn’t even let us bring our own experienced coaches aboard.”

The title of this post accuses Coach Ferentz of not caring, a fraud. That borders on, if not slander. How ridiculous. Yes, his teams have long been weak at QB and WR which is frustrating. But he has lead the team to many victories. We all need constructive criticism, but unfounded accusations are over the top and should not see the light of day on this site.

That is undeniably true.

Do you believe the Budster is going to move the needle on acquisition of talent in those positions of need?
Honestly, this is probably going to be a chicken or the egg-type situation in the end. If Lester is able to make the offense better, it'll help make Budmayr's job easier in terms of recruiting/retaining talent. If Budmayr is at all competent as a coach/recruiter, he'll be able to bring in additional talent that will make Lester's job easier.

I won't pretend this hire excites me, especially when we know on X that McNutt wanted this job. But aside from Deacon, we don't really know what kind of recruiter he is (no idea which guys he's credited for getting when at wisconsin for instance) - and in fairness to him on Deacon; he was brought in for depth, and was never expected to play significant snaps. My frustration comes more from simply an EXTREMELY thin resume for a guy hired at a position of need.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT