ADVERTISEMENT

Can anyone honestly say Kirk is serious about improving the offense?

I know exactly how significant it was. It was significant to the tune of 0-3.

In what world are wins minimized and loses inflated? In the world of weak minded fans that have agendas outside of a win/loss record.

There isn't room in the record books for commentary. Some may say the Michigan game was embarrassing because Iowa didn't score. Some may say it was the closest 26-0 game you'll ever see and that it was an impressive showing by Iowa. Good thing is the record book cares not about these commentaries and opinions and simply records the game as an L for Iowa

You do realize that the playoff teams will be picked by a committee and not just the W and L’s in the record book? We know by past years that these committees will also pick teams using the eye test. The playoff teams will all be ranked. Do you think they will select an Iowa team that can’t put a single point on the score board against a ranked team? Why the hell would they pick a team that would likely just waste a playoff spot?

some of the comments from the. ' attention. ' getters are something aren't they ?

I mean , really it comes down to KF doesn't want to win any games . his tears after a big win are tears of sadness because he was wanting to lose . .. That statement is about as true as some of the above ones

You do realize that the playoff teams will be picked by a committee and not just the W and L’s in the record book? We know by past years that these committees will also pick teams using the eye test. The playoff teams will all be ranked. Do you think they will select an Iowa team that can’t put a single point on the score board against a ranked team? Why the hell would they pick a team that would likely just waste a playoff spot?
You do realize Iowa was not in contention for a playoff spot last season, correct?

You mean 0-3?

God forbid Iowa loses to the three best teams it plays. One of them being a national champion. Just unacceptable.

There's a lot a could I say about the type of people who cite the 92-0 thing. None of it is very complimentary
Iowa’s offense sure isn’t very “complimentary” either when we play those types of teams.

Reactions: Tom Paris
The title of this post accuses Coach Ferentz of not caring, a fraud. That borders on, if not slander. How ridiculous. Yes, his teams have long been weak at QB and WR which is frustrating. But he has lead the team to many victories. We all need constructive criticism, but unfounded accusations are over the top and should not see the light of day on this site.
The "title" is a question and bears no resemblance to the words highlighted above. That's not remotely close to "slander", Mary. Nor it is an "accusation".

Can you look at his moves over that last couple of years and provide evidence that answers that question with "Yes, he clearly is serious about improving the offense. Here's an example"?

The "title" is a question and bears no resemblance to the words highlighted above. That's not remotely close to "slander", Mary. Nor it is an "accusation".

Can you look at his moves over that last couple of years and provide evidence that answers that question with "Yes, he clearly is serious about improving the offense. Here's an example"?
Oh, so cute to pretend to be KF's wife. Not!

And I'll give you some injuries.
Yes there were injuries, but the offense looked like one of the worst in the country from day 1. The offense managed all of 284 yards with 2.4 yards per rush vs a truly horrible Utah St defense that allowed 400 yards per game and 4.8 yards per rush vs Mountain West opponents. The offense might have only been worst in the B1G bad vs worst in the country bad with everyone healthy.

Yes there were injuries, but the offense looked like one of the worst in the country from day 1. The offense managed all of 284 yards with 2.4 yards per rush vs a truly horrible Utah St defense that allowed 400 yards per game and 4.8 yards per rush vs Mountain West opponents. The offense might have only been worst in the B1G bad vs worst in the country bad with everyone healthy.
I remember peeps here getting all excited about two passing TDs right off the bat against Utah st. I guess we have to wait until the season is over to decide whether it was bad or good.

Last edited:
Reactions: ClarindaA's
What a ****ing joke.

Kirk is either that conceited and giving the Brian naysayers the middle finger or he really is that clueless.

JFC
Both Budmyer and Lester are upgrades to his coaching staff, considering how difficult it must have been to recruit coaches to take over for the worst offense in NCAA football (or close to it), I think he did a good job of getting the talent he did.

You do realize Iowa was not in contention for a playoff spot last season, correct?
You do realize that the Hawks will never pass the eye test as long as KF is calling the shots for the offense. With the playoffs going to 12 teams a 10-2 big 10 team could get in. But not one who goes 92-0 against ranked opponents. Those types of losses are a lot more than just an L to those who pick the playoff teams.

Last edited:
Both Budmyer and Lester are upgrades to his coaching staff, considering how difficult it must have been to recruit coaches to take over for the worst offense in NCAA football (or close to it), I think he did a good job of getting the talent he did.
I agree about Lester given the circumstances.

I have a hard time believing that about the Budster.

We’ll see.

I don’t think any Iowa fans are complaining about a 10-win season. The problem is that, despite two 10-win seasons with BTCG appearances the past 3 seasons, it is obvious that Iowa cannot compete with the “Big Boys,” which they did once upon a time. That 2017 Ohio St game is the last time Iowa beat a blue blood that ended up having a really good season (2019 Minnesota and 2018 Mississippi State aren’t considered blue bloods, 2019 USC and 2021 Penn State did not have good seasons). So, Iowa’s true relevance in college football is getting pretty far in the rear view mirror…

I believe Kirk does want to fix the offense but you can only use his tools to fix the issue.

He still sees the issue being execution despite a scheme that makes it nearly impossible to execute properly

Recruiting has also been really bad on offense for a long time. We have MAC level recruits going against Big10 defense

Where on defense we have NFL talent to shut down poor Big10 West offenses

I believe Kirk does want to fix the offense but you can only use his tools to fix the issue.

He still sees the issue being execution despite a scheme that makes it nearly impossible to execute properly

Recruiting has also been really bad on offense for a long time. We have MAC level recruits going against Big10 defense

Well, we will see if anything changes with Lester at OC.

What’s funny is that I don’t disagree with Kirks emphasis on execution-that’s how you beat teams with more talent. The trouble is he got so focused on execution that when things went bad he decided the problem was execution and didn’t consider that scheme was part of the problem too.

The scheme made some sense under KOK. The RB setup 7 yards deep and the zone blocking allowed for the big cut back that worked so well for many years. Like everything it became stale, teams figured it out and rule changes.

But those plays setup the PA pass. We used to see passes travel further than 6 yards.

GDGD scheme made no sense with Kirk’s zone blocking. It compresses everything, took a NFL QB to have any success.

And Brian took the worst of GDGD and decided that was his baseline for his offense.

I am hopeful that Lester can return us to KOK levels of competency. It’s not perfect, but KOK struggled (maybe cause of Kirk) of predictable play calling, but unlike Brian’s tells, KOK at least had a few plays that worked

I agree with the premise that KF has a very narrow set of parameters as to the changes he will allow on offense. Not sure that he sees the offense as broken, so I can't go as far as saying he wants to "fix" it. I don't doubt he wants it to be better in controlling field position and time of possession.
As far as making real changes that could lead to a more dynamic O with more scoring I'm not so sure. He is far too risk averse to allow his QB to go off script. Or to throw down field with some frequency.
I'm expecting an O that is better in that it will fare better in TOP. Fewer 3 and outs.

It's a freaking wide receiver coach. Teams change their wide receiver coaches more often than Ironbird changes his underwear. Do you think our recruiting or on field performance for a wide receivers can get any worse? I say give someone a shot, because they've been in the tank for a while now.

Sorry, I didn't read the other millions of pages on this subject and not flaming you here.

My thought is that if you wanted to make this move to give someone else a shot, why did you hire someone already on staff? My biggest beef is that this doesn't move the needle at all for recruting. We know what this guy can do. He hasn't helped the QB room at all. His guy he got to come to Iowa was Deacon who was recruited to Wisconsin by him. I'm just not seeing the body of work from an outsider.

Never has Kirk said that a competent offense isn't necessary.

Your entire post is complete conjecture.

What the hell do future schedules have to do with last season's performance? All the man can do is attempt to win the games that are on his schedule. He will do the same thing this year.

I feel sorry for people who feel the need to minimize a successful season based on schedule. KF didn't just get lucky because of an easy schedule 1, or 2, or 3 seasons. The man has been winning for OVER 20 YEARS. This qualification really makes you sound pathetic.

Ferentz' job is to win games. If he does that well enough to be considered for a playoff, he has done a great job. If the committee wants to leave Iowa out because they don't score enough, that's a sad commentary on them. KF's priority can't ever be anything but simply to win. Playing lower scoring games is part of the path that has consistently produced winning teams for over 20 years
Our offense didn’t contribute shit

Reactions: ddeanHawk
Sorry, I didn't read the other millions of pages on this subject and not flaming you here.

My thought is that if you wanted to make this move to give someone else a shot, why did you hire someone already on staff? My biggest beef is that this doesn't move the needle at all for recruting. We know what this guy can do. He hasn't helped the QB room at all. His guy he got to come to Iowa was Deacon who was recruited to Wisconsin by him. I'm just not seeing the body of work from an outsider.
Sorry, but we don't know what impact, if any, he'll have on recruiting. Yes, he brought in Deacon, but he's also been credited as the guy who brought in McNamara as well; and being fair to Budmayr in the case of Deacon - absolutely no one thought he was brought in for any reason other than depth.

Mods and others more in tune with recruiting world can probably provide more info in terms of what analysts are able to do for recruiting/contacts - if there are any limits on them for example.

Hawkfan, just to be clear - this hire doesn't wow me either; especially when McNutt appears to have been strongly interested in this hire. Just saying that he brings in far more unknowns to his new position than not. As an analyst ostensibly brought in to assist BF with QBs to some extent; one of the great questions we'll never have answered to some extent is whether the QBs (Deacon in particular) didn't develop last year b/c 1) they simply weren't good; 2) poor coaching; 3) poor scheme; 4) some combination of all 3, and then how much Budmayr actually worked with them in film room (remember, he's barred from working with them at practice).

And yeah, I know to some extent I'm possibly whistling past the graveyard here - but hey, I'm a glass is half-full kind of guy and I don't see the point to gloom-and-doom predictions before spring ball even starts.

Reactions: Hawkfan_08
Yes. There is an 'execution' problem , but the biggest 'failure to execute' is with Kirk and the OC coaches and staff.
They're not recruiting B10 level offensive talent.
They're not developing B10 level offensive talent.
They can't scheme an unpredictable offensive game plan.
When these coaching failures coalesce on Saturdays into the worst offense in CFB, Kirk tells us the players need to execute better.
Little or nothing is going to change.

Last edited:
Sorry, but we don't know what impact, if any, he'll have on recruiting. Yes, he brought in Deacon, but he's also been credited as the guy who brought in McNamara as well; and being fair to Budmayr in the case of Deacon - absolutely no one thought he was brought in for any reason other than depth.

Mods and others more in tune with recruiting world can probably provide more info in terms of what analysts are able to do for recruiting/contacts - if there are any limits on them for example.

Hawkfan, just to be clear - this hire doesn't wow me either; especially when McNutt appears to have been strongly interested in this hire. Just saying that he brings in far more unknowns to his new position than not. As an analyst ostensibly brought in to assist BF with QBs to some extent; one of the great questions we'll never have answered to some extent is whether the QBs (Deacon in particular) didn't develop last year b/c 1) they simply weren't good; 2) poor coaching; 3) poor scheme; 4) some combination of all 3, and then how much Budmayr actually worked with them in film room (remember, he's barred from working with them at practice).

And yeah, I know to some extent I'm possibly whistling past the graveyard here - but hey, I'm a glass is half-full kind of guy and I don't see the point to gloom-and-doom predictions before spring ball even starts.

That's all fair but being a glass half empty guy, I'll be more than shocked if this is a good hire. My feelings on recruiting came from my Wisconsin buddy who is much more level headed than I am. He wanted him gone when he was at Wisconsin.

New to the board? It's a common way of saying "that's the kind of defense only a wife would offer". I didn't invent it.

"Slander". Please.

New to the board? It's a common way of saying "that's the kind of defense only a wife would offer". I didn't invent it.

"Slander". PleaNot new
Not the it's usually used. Usually said as a way of saying Mary rules the roost.

Reactions: BonzoFury
That's all fair but being a glass half empty guy, I'll be more than shocked if this is a good hire. My feelings on recruiting came from my Wisconsin buddy who is much more level headed than I am. He wanted him gone when he was at Wisconsin.
Well, he's only 33 years old now, so idk how he was at Wisconsin at least 4 years ago now.

You guys honestly think KF isn't interested in improving the offense?

LMFAO. That can't even be a real opinion. A f...ing joke is a much more accurate characterization.

KF has more competitiveness and pride in his fingernail than any of you will ever have.

Talk about clueless
Well it DID take someone other than KF to get rid of his son. And you know he would still be there if he would not have been let go by BG.

Not the it's usually used. Usually said as a way of saying Mary rules the roost.
Perhaps. But it's used quite often to call out someone's overly sympathetic defense of KFz. The "just leave Britney alone" kind of posts.

I am beyond the point of caring about Iowa Football. Next season will show the failure of KF to seriously improve the Iowa offense. The results of Wisconsin, Ohio State, UCLA and Washington will give BG all she needs to replace him.
If you don’t care don’t comment

Reactions: sober_teacher
So then why fire Copeland?

Or does IowasLaw have a point?

Quite an uphill battle to convince top wide receivers to come to Iowa as it is. You think Budmayr is going to improve upon that?

This thing needs a reset, anyone coming in is nibbling around the edges at best. Need new CEO. It might get worse before better but I can live with the risk.

I know exactly how significant it was. It was significant to the tune of 0-3.

In what world are wins minimized and loses inflated? In the world of weak minded fans that have agendas outside of a win/loss record.

There isn't room in the record books for commentary. Some may say the Michigan game was embarrassing because Iowa didn't score. Some may say it was the closest 26-0 game you'll ever see and that it was an impressive showing by Iowa. Good thing is the record book cares not about these commentaries and opinions and simply records the game as an L for Iowa
I understand your point and as a general rule agree with you….however I don’t think it’s that simple anymore….ask Florida State.

Reactions: mustang_hawk
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT