ADVERTISEMENT

Cancelled my hotel in Indy last night

GunnerHawk

HR All-American
Mar 16, 2014
Want to thank Kirk for being so stubborn that his son is still coaching our offense and KOK is our QB coach, both being paid way too much money. Last year's offense was poor and this year is worse. We drive eight hours to watch the Hawks but my wife and I decided we're staying home for the last two home games. Boarding the dogs, gas, hotels and meals cost a $1,000+ each trip. Unless Barta gets some balls and forces Kirk to make offensive changes, then they should all go. If not, I'll be finding other things to do in the fall, than travel to Iowa.

I feel sorry for our offensive players, they deserve better. Brian, the only reason and I mean the only reason you are offensive coordinator is because of your Daddy. Your slicked back hair, arrogant attitude doesn't cut it. Your offense is offensive.

Want to thank Kirk for being so stubborn that his son is still coaching our offense and KOK is our QB coach, both being paid way too much money. Last year's offense was poor and this year is worse. We drive eight hours to watch the Hawks but my wife and I decided we're staying home for the last two home games. Boarding the dogs, gas, hotels and meals cost a $1,000+ each trip. Unless Barta gets some balls and forces Kirk to make offensive changes, then they should all go. If not, I'll be finding other things to do in the fall, than travel to Iowa.

I feel sorry for our offensive players, they deserve better. Brian, the only reason and I mean the only reason you are offensive coordinator is because of your Daddy. Your slicked back hair, arrogant attitude doesn't cut it. Your offense is offensive.
Hang in there Gunner. Your a good Hawk, and thats probably the worst part of all this. Even those who have stuck with KF through thick and thin have seen enough, but I understand. Two weeks ago when the talking heads were still not sold on Iowa it was easy to discard their being critical because, well they always bag on Iowa. Who cared, right. We were 6-0 and sitting at #2. Screw them. Now after taking another step off the cliff, and the Hawks plunge down the poll just as the first CFP poll will be released, you have to wonder if KF has it within himself to do SOMETHING, anything to turn this around. Unfortunately, its hard to see that happening at this point.

• Haha
Reactions: Golf_Bravo_Romeo
Hang in there Gunner. Your a good Hawk, and thats probably the worst part of all this. Even those who have stuck with KF through thick and thin have seen enough, but I understand. Two weeks ago when the talking heads were still not sold on Iowa it was easy to discard their being critical because, well they always bag on Iowa. Who cared, right. We were 6-0 and sitting at #2. Screw them. Now after taking another step off the cliff, and the Hawks plunge down the poll just as the first CFP poll will be released, you have to wonder if KF has it within himself to do SOMETHING, anything to turn this around. Unfortunately, its hard to see that happening at this point.
Fact is, is fans were losing interest in 2014. Then 2015 happened and people forgot. Then it seemed recruiting picked up, that made fans feel better.
Iowa football always reverts back to what it is. 8-4 crappy offense, good defense.

Well, if Gunner is done, I think that’s a pretty telling sign.

Never bought tickets to Indy but as a thank you I was offered north endzone tickets to Illinois. Access to the club to get out of the weather, parking pass on the west side, full 9 yards, and I called them last night to let them know I wouldn't be attending. We will be getting back from the Dominican and I would rather have the weekend to do stuff around my house before winter than blow a Saturday and give this athletic department any money. Those that have been around awhile rememeber the groans were pretty loud in 2014 and we were told "vote with your wallet" I don't think this staff has another 2015 to keep the nose off the tarmac.

Reactions: not_mantiteo
I had some friends make reservations too and chuckled at them.... like they haven't learned a goddamn thing in 23 years of being a Hawk fan under KF. Is there even anything else going on in indy early December where rooms are scarce? Seems like just a flag people can wave to let everyone know how excited they are about the team in october

Reactions: 24 so far

I appreciate your fandom Sir, and it doesn't hurt to get rooms in Indy "just in case", I think that is good advanced planning, you can always cancel when Status Quo inevitably arrives. That said, the Hawks have been there once since it started in 2011. They scored 13 points and lost by 3. Sounds familiar right?

This year we beat our first 6 opponents, and rose to #2, because 1/2 of those teams were over ranked. The key is we won those games and you deservedly rise in the rankings as you keep winning. But it was traditional Iowa smoke and mirrors from the start, great Defense and Special Teams and a pedestrian Offense that capitalized on short fields.

Nobody should have bought that Iowa is a legit #2 in the country and got their hopes raised (although it looked like Wisconsin was mediocre for them and could be had relative to The West). But 2 things were always in play that made it highly likely Iowa would eventually stumble as per normal. Those 2 things are Kirk Ferentz and Spencer Petras IMO.

Kirk's Offense will eventually bite you in the ass. History proves this to be very foreseeable. And not only is Spencer Petras a pedestrian QB when the line play is OK, but he's horrible when the line play is abysmal, and that is playing out before our eyes.

Kirk wins more than he loses, which is a good thing overall, but monster seasons are not in the cards, and they aren't going to be very likely because his Offenses are routinely mediocre. This is who we are with Kirk. The Offenses suck because of Kirk Ferentz IMO, and you could have Bill Walsh as the Offensive Coordinator and they'd still likely suck, because Kirk is the Head Coach.

To summarize: This isn't shocking Offensive ineptitude, it's Iowa Football under Kirk Ferentz, and we should all know it's coming barring miracles. It is what it is in other words.

The sun will still come up tomorrow, you just won't have to worry about seeing it while rising in Indianapolis anytime soon.

I cancelled mine after Purdue. I was hoping I was wrong, but I saw the writing on the wall. Damn shame too because the west is down to say the least. Really inexcusable Iowa hasn’t won it at least once or twice more.

Reactions: NI hawk
I had some friends make reservations too and chuckled at them.... like they haven't learned a goddamn thing in 23 years of being a Hawk fan under KF. Is there even anything else going on in indy early December where rooms are scarce? Seems like just a flag people can wave to let everyone know how excited they are about the team in october
It’s definitely hard to get rooms in prime spots if you wait.

Reactions: BettDogs7

I feel your pain Gunner. I live 11 minutes from Kinnick and do feel for people like you that are loyal fans that spend lots of $$$$ to watch the Hawks. Kirk makes more money annually in bonus for winning 8 games than 98% of the people that read these boards do in an entire year.

So what will it take to come back to Kinnick again? Please don't tell me the start of a new season next fall and your belief "this could be the year"-- that gets fans every time.

Cancelled my reservations too. Just glad I didn’t buy tickets to the game as I knew it was too good to be true after six games.

I appreciate your fandom Sir, and it doesn't hurt to get rooms in Indy "just in case", I think that is good advanced planning, you can always cancel when Status Quo inevitably arrives. That said, the Hawks have been there once since it started in 2011. They scored 13 points and lost by 3. Sounds familiar right?

This year we beat our first 6 opponents, and rose to #2, because 1/2 of those teams were over ranked. The key is we won those games and you deservedly rise in the rankings as you keep winning. But it was traditional Iowa smoke and mirrors from the start, great Defense and Special Teams and a pedestrian Offense that capitalized on short fields.

Nobody should have bought that Iowa is a legit #2 in the country and got their hopes raised (although it looked like Wisconsin was mediocre for them and could be had relative to The West). But 2 things were always in play that made it highly likely Iowa would eventually stumble as per normal. Those 2 things are Kirk Ferentz and Spencer Petras IMO.

Kirk's Offense will eventually bite you in the ass. History proves this to be very foreseeable. And not only is Spencer Petras a pedestrian QB when the line play is OK, but he's horrible when the line play is abysmal, and that is playing out before our eyes.

Kirk wins more than he loses, which is a good thing overall, but monster seasons are not in the cards, and they aren't going to be very likely because his Offenses are routinely mediocre. This is who we are with Kirk. The Offenses suck because of Kirk Ferentz IMO, and you could have Bill Walsh as the Offensive Coordinator and they'd still likely suck, because Kirk is the Head Coach.

To summarize: This isn't shocking Offensive ineptitude, it's Iowa Football under Kirk Ferentz, and we should all know it's coming barring miracles. It is what it is in other words.

The sun will still come up tomorrow, you just won't have to worry about seeing it while rising in Indianapolis anytime soon.
I’d settle for mediocre offense, KF’s are usually worse than that

My hotel is refundable until 2 days prior- I’ll hold onto mine a little longer but I’m making alternative plans to go to NYC that weekend instead though I took Friday off of work.

It’s pretty much impossible to get rooms downtown Indy for a reasonable price unless you book them in august - I do it every year and just make sure the rooms are refundable

this is a big reason I would prefer the game to be in Chicago- there are so many more hotels in Chicago than Indianapolis

Fact is, is fans were losing interest in 2014. Then 2015 happened and people forgot. Then it seemed recruiting picked up, that made fans feel better.
Iowa football always reverts back to what it is. 8-4 crappy offense, good defense.
I don’t have a big problem with 8-4 average season. I realize we are Iowa and only a hand full of teams have consistent top level teams. My problem is one West division title. With our fanbase and support, we should be winning the West every 4-5 years at least. It’s hard to stomach that Northwestern has won twice since our last win.

I’m surprised that you though we were going there in the first plane. That’s comical!
STFU clown. 90% of the fan base thought we were going after the Penn State game, even you.
The problem is we got “Ferentzed”, again. It’s similar to being “Munsoned”
Iowans are suckers I’m afraid.

STFU clown. 90% of the fan base thought we were going after the Penn State game, even you.
When you resort to name calling and acting like a little girl, you might want to just step away from the keyboard.

Reactions: Pawkhawk1
Buck up and keep trying is all you can do. (Keep in mind the Hawks were one hit on the QB away from losing to PSU)

I'm pissing my pants. We got "Ferentzed" LOL So @GunnerHawk got Ferentzed.

Good to see you frydaze

To the OT, thanks to FJB you are saving double what you would have paid in fuel $$ to put toward Thanksgiving Dinner

Reactions: frydaze
Good to see you frydaze

To the OT, thanks to FJB you are saving double what you would have paid in fuel $$ to put toward Thanksgiving Dinner
If I was @GunnerHawk I'd send a bill to Kirk and Brian and have them pay a % of his travel costs these past few years and claiming he was Ferentzed (a new form of fraud). I'm afraid though he'll be on here touting Rose Bowl hopes just prior to the first game in 2022 and talking about his trip to Iowa City for the home opener.

What is it with Iowa fan's disdain for slicked back hair. First Alford, now Brian.

df3030ae271275a783bc77c41f87e63b--al-pacino-celebs.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: frydaze

FireBrianFerentz.com

Looking at the number of rooms available downtown Indy compared to two weeks ago I would say you are not the only one.

It’s pretty much impossible to get rooms downtown Indy for a reasonable price unless you book them in august - I do it every year and just make sure the rooms are refundable

this is a big reason I would prefer the game to be in Chicago- there are so many more hotels in Chicago than Indianapolis
I also booked mine in August. Still have them. I don't book ahead every year, but had a good feeling about this year.
No way I prefer Chicago over Indy.

any fan that claims to obviously lives in Chicago. There’s no other logical reason to claim this unless you’ve never been to an event in Indy.
I don’t live in Chicago- I live in the quad cities. I’ve been to sporting events in Chicago and Indy. Chicago is a shorter drive and the hotel and food options are better. Trying to get a downtown hotel in 2015 was a pain the butt because the city just doesn’t have enough hotels. Because of that experience, I’ve booked a hotel every year in august for big ten championship weekend so I didn’t have to deal with booking a hotel in October or November. Obviously it hasn’t mattered since but Chicago wouldn’t have this problem because there are plenty of hotels

Obviously I’m happy going to either city for an iowa game- but I go to Chicago 6-8 times per year for a variety of events- I would only go to Indy for a Big Ten championship (which as we’ve established happens about once per decade for iowa)

that being said- Chicago doesn’t really have a football stadium that would work because soldier field is a dump so it doesn’t matter anyway.

Yeah, we are 6-2. I will shed some tears for you.

Reactions: chuck285

I agree, BUT

did you not know this before you booked a hotel in indy??? :)

I agree, BUT

did you not know this before you booked a hotel in indy??? :)
Gunner is a great Hawk I'm sure but he's an example of a fan who was way too invested emotionally. He actually now has resentment for KF and BF thinking they are responsible for his disappointment of not getting to go to Indy. Probably a good thing for him that he's staying away the rest of the season.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT