ADVERTISEMENT

Carl Sagan's Foreboding About America - 30 Years Ago

Nov 28, 2010
Maryland
I have a foreboding of an America in my children's or grandchildren's time – when the United States is a service and information economy; when nearly all the key manufacturing industries have slipped away to other countries; when awesome technological powers are in the hands of a very few, and no one representing the public interest can even grasp the issues; when the people have lost the ability to set their own agendas or knowledgeably question those in authority; when, clutching our crystals and nervously consulting our horoscopes, our critical faculties in decline, unable to distinguish between what feels good and what's true, we slide, almost without noticing, back into superstition and darkness....

The dumbing down of America is most evident in the slow decay of substantive content in the enormously influential media, the 30 second sound bites (now down to 10 seconds or less), lowest common denominator programming, credulous presentations on pseudoscience and superstition, but especially a kind of celebration of ignorance.

Carl Sagan, from Demon-Haunted World (1995)

I have a foreboding of an America in my children's or grandchildren's time – when the United States is a service and information economy; when nearly all the key manufacturing industries have slipped away to other countries; when awesome technological powers are in the hands of a very few, and no one representing the public interest can even grasp the issues; when the people have lost the ability to set their own agendas or knowledgeably question those in authority; when, clutching our crystals and nervously consulting our horoscopes, our critical faculties in decline, unable to distinguish between what feels good and what's true, we slide, almost without noticing, back into superstition and darkness....

The dumbing down of America is most evident in the slow decay of substantive content in the enormously influential media, the 30 second sound bites (now down to 10 seconds or less), lowest common denominator programming, credulous presentations on pseudoscience and superstition, but especially a kind of celebration of ignorance.

TL;DR

amazing he could predict that 30 years ago. wonder what were his indicators. in 1995 wasn't america doing amazingly great at the cusp of internet etc.?

Reactions: noleclone2
So, what should we do, OP? Honest question.
We know what to do. We don't know how to do it. Or at least I don't. Do you?

I would love the chance to vote for someone who could tell me how we can do what pretty much every sensible person knows we need to do. The best I can tell, that's a null set. I simply don't see any paths to success.

The best options we seem to have today are those that avoid accelerated paths to dystopian collapse.

There are plenty of solutions. We aren't choosing them.

One of the Ancient Greek philosophers wrote something about subsequent generations being more rebellious than their current state. It’s easy to think your era is better than those to come.

We know what to do. We don't know how to do it. Or at least I don't. Do you?

I would love the chance to vote for someone who could tell me how we can do what pretty much every sensible person knows we need to do. The best I can tell, that's a null set. I simply don't see any paths to success.

The best options we seem to have today are those that avoid accelerated paths to dystopian collapse.

There are plenty of solutions. We aren't choosing them.

So, what's going to happen? Honest question.

Speak for yourself. I don't deserve this. Most of us don't. Certainly the animal kingdom doesn't. Or children anywhere.

So how can this be happening? Why are we allowing it?
It is happening because people are too lazy and stupid to educate themselves. They believe whatever they hear on their respective "news" outlet. Critical thinking is gone as is common sense. I literally have had conversations with friends from both sides recently. Friends of similar backgrounds and occupations that I have known for over 30 years. They go from zero to hot and dig their heals in, can't even talk in a normal tone. No listening, just reacting and louder talking.

Our politicians don't help either. They have ZERO incentive currently to do anything different so you know what? They don't. Chaos among the masses takes the attention off of them. Stupid, lazy people continue to elect the same people. Endless cycle.

The next election will do nothing to slow down or change the cycle. It's going to get worse. Much worse.

So, you're just going to be miserable for the rest of your life? Honest question.
I'll let you know in November.

Clearly having a good life is getting harder for most folks. As an old fart living on a shrinking retirement, and seeing more clearly than most what's ahead, I speak from experience. But I'm still better off than many in this nation and most in this world. I have HROT, after all. And Netflix. Who could ask for anything more?

Plus, I enjoy bitching about politics, so the worse it gets the happier I should be, right? Not that it actually works that way.

Last edited:
I'll let you know in November.

Clearly having a good life is getting harder for most folks. As an old fart living on a shrinking retirement, and seeing more clearly than most what's ahead, I speak from experience. But I'm still better of than many in this nation and most in this world. I have HROT, after all. And Netflix. Who could ask for anything more?

Plus, I enjoy bitching about politics, so the worse it gets the happier I should be, right? Not that it actually works that way.

I'd love to sit down and chat with you. Honestly.

The next election will do nothing to slow down or change the cycle. It's going to get worse. Much worse.
A Dem Congress and WH would present opportunities. But we probably won't get them. And even if we do, will they try hard enough?

If this America actually elects Trump and a GOP Congress, a thorough reexamination will be necessary.

At the moment, it even looks possible that Trump could win the popular vote. No excuses are left if that happens.

When Bush won in 2000 and Trump won in 2016 we could at least console ourselves with the knowledge that they weren't actually chosen by a majority of our fellow Americans.

If Trump wins outright, America has transmogrified into something new, terrible, and unacceptable.

There is no way a Donald Trump would be elected in 1996. He was rightfully regarded as a joke. Twenty years of baby boomers watching FOX News made Trump's election possible.
well we had clinton back then and he was wayyyyy worse times 200. good news is we had newt setting him straight.

in 1998 jesse Ventura was elected.

I think trump was probably still a democrat back then

I currently have a 1996 car sitting out there. runs and fires up every time.

the interwebz and computers and chips were brand new. tech was new. I dunno if times were great or not but they were interesting.

A Dem Congress and WH would present opportunities. But we probably won't get them. And even if we do, will they try hard enough?

If this America actually elects Trump and a GOP Congress, a thorough reexamination will be necessary.

At the moment, it even looks possible that Trump could win the popular vote. No excuses are left if that happens.

When Bush won in 2000 and Trump won in 2016 we could at least console ourselves with the knowledge that they weren't actually chosen by a majority of our fellow Americans.

If Trump wins outright, America has transmogrified into something new, terrible, and unacceptable.
Well, I hate to be that guy, but I actually can imagine some downright crazy stuff happening if Trump somehow manages to lose the election to Biden.

Trump has already hinted at not accepting the results if he loses. Now, after further validation that Biden is full turnip, he loses again? What if he loses and it's extremely close? Oh boy, buckle up. At that point, Trump is basically done politically, facing a mountain of legal problems, old, essentially wife-less. NO chance he goes away quietly.

I will have my popcorn ready.

There is no way a Donald Trump would be elected in 1996. He was rightfully regarded as a joke. Twenty years of baby boomers watching FOX News made Trump's election possible.
Stop with the Boomer blame.

The most recent poll shows all age demographics except 55-64 favoring Trump.

Yeah, I know, 55-64 is a strange outlier. Go figure.

Meanwhile

Well, I hate to be that guy, but I actually can imagine some downright crazy stuff happening if Trump somehow manages to lose the election to Biden.

Trump has already hinted at not accepting the results if he loses. Now, after further validation that Biden is full turnip, he loses again? What if he loses and it's extremely close? Oh boy, buckle up. At that point, Trump is basically done politically, facing a mountain of legal problems, old, essentially wife-less. NO chance he goes away quietly.

This is the scenario that hasn’t been considered by the Biden-or-bust DNC supporters. We have an ugly path in 6 months no matter what

Reactions: jasonrann

What could he possibly do?
Yell and scream the election was rigged?
Send an un-armed mob to the Capitol again?
Absolutely nothing would happen, Trump supporters don’t burn down cities or destroy private property.

Last edited:
What could he possibly do?
Yell and scream the election was rigged?
Send an un-armed mob to the Capitol again?
Absolutely nothing would happen, Trump supporters don’t burn down cities or destroy private property.
He didn't do or say much last time and a bunch of morons showed up in DC to disrupt the transition. Another bullet or two and that turns into an even bigger shit show. This time around, IMHO, it wouldn't take much of a stronger tone from him to get the numpties, militias, etc. with guns to show up anywhere and everywhere. From there, who knows?

Reactions: BelemNole and Ree4
He didn't do or say much last time and a bunch of morons showed up in DC to disrupt the transition. Another bullet or two and that turns into an even bigger shit show. This time around, IMHO, it wouldn't take much of a stronger tone from him to get the numpties, militias, etc. with guns to show up anywhere and everywhere. From there, who knows?
There’s only one party you should be concerned about and that’s the leftists.
If Trump wins, leftist activists will be out in force, they are violent and their protests don’t last a day, they last weeks.
They destroy property, businesses, federal buildings and police stations, they block bridges and highways, they impede emergency services and normal everyday people from their work and destinations.
If Trump loses, not a damn thing will happen…. Worry about Lib violence and activism.
I hear they are already storing up high grade fireworks, Molotov cocktails ice bottles and lasers.
FYI-
The only bullet fired was used to kill an unarmed women combat veteran protestter

We Are Doomed Reaction GIF

Reactions: InsaneHawkJJP
If Trump wins, leftist activists will be out in force, they are violent and their protests don’t last a day, they last weeks.
They destroy property, businesses, federal buildings and police stations, they block bridges and highways, they impede emergency services and normal everyday people from their work and destinations.
If Trump loses, not a damn thing will happen…. Worry about Lib violence and activism.
I hear they are already storing up high grade fireworks, Molotov cocktails ice bottles and lasers.
FYI-
The only bullet fired was used to kill an unarmed women combat veteran protestter
homer simpson episode 13 GIF

Reactions: Ree4 and jasonrann
FYI-
Yeah, well, I guess we are going to find out soon enough.

Good day to you.

Reactions: zappaa
Hey 65'er, you might want to get checked for dementia. We've already seen what happened the last time Trump lost. Or are you one of those “it didn't really happen” people?
I saw an un-armed riot spurred on by strategic plants amongst the crowd to rush the Capitol.
He was also still the President at that time, there’s not a chance in hell any Trump supporters will do a damn thing

I saw an un-armed riot spurred on by strategic plants amongst the crowd to rush the Capitol.
He was also still the President at that time, there’s not a chance in hell any Trump supporters will do a damn thing

The essence of Trumpism - create an alternative reality - because actual reality is not comfortable. But hey, at least you have an excuse, you're old and seem to have a similar level of command as the current president, so there's that.

Reactions: BelemNole and Ree4
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT