ADVERTISEMENT

"Carousel" and Sinatra

joelbc1

HR King
Gold Member
Sep 5, 2007
you can’t always get what you want!
I watched he movie this AM. I really like it, the more I see it....great cast, great music and an intriguing, if dark, plot. Yet, I wonder "what if Sinatra played Billy Bigelow, as opposed to Gordon MacRea?" MacRea does a wonderful job but I can't help but think Sinatra and his persona might have added a little more to the movie.
We will never know...and we can all blame Ava Gardner!
The story is that Sinatra was famous for his "one and done" takes in his movies but "Carousel" was being filmed in two different film speeds and therefore every scene was going to have ton be shot twice. Sinatra saw the two cameras, blew up and told the producers, "You don't get two Sinatras for the price of one." According to co-star Shirley Jones, the reason Sinatra "walked off" was because his wife, Eva Gardner, was threatening Frank with an affair with her "Mogambo" co-star Clark Gable. FRank walked and headed to Africa.
What might have been.

Reactions: Titus Andronicus
Joel, have you seen the movies Sinatra did with Gene Kelly? He was a fairly decent dancer, and it was interesting to see him in those sidekick roles.

Yeah, Carousel was filmed with two different film formats but the result was as you said - they would have to do two different shots and the transition from one format to another was not an easy and quick thing. Camera, lighting and sets would have to be re-arranged. If Sinatra thought he was making two movies and only getting paid for one, he had a point. Though that didn't seem to bother the rest of the cast.
My favorite Sinatra musical is High Society which is the musical remake of Philadelphia Story.

Joel, have you seen the movies Sinatra did with Gene Kelly? He was a fairly decent dancer, and it was interesting to see him in those sidekick roles.
Sinatra did really have a couple of really solid roles. As Maggio in "From here to Eternity".....as Frankie in "Man with the Golden Arm".....are his best known....but his real sleeper "lead" was as Detective Delaney in "The First Deadly Sin" as far as I am concerned. You know he told Shirley Jones he thought Billy Bigelew was the best character a male actor could ever hope to get in America cinema.......there are some recordings he did for the film out there that are really good, too.
I did enjoy him with Kelly in "Anchors Aweigh" and "Take Me out to the Ballgame"....Kelly was really quite an "athletic" actor/dancer, too.

Sinatra did really have a couple of really solid roles. As Maggio in "From here to Eternity".....as Frankie in "Man with the Golden Arm".....are his best known....but his real sleeper "lead" was as Detective Delaney in "The First Deadly Sin" as far as I am concerned. You know he told Shirley Jones he thought Billy Bigelew was the best character a male actor could ever hope to get in America cinema.......there are some recordings he did for the film out there that are really good, too.
I did enjoy him with Kelly in "Anchors Aweigh" and "Take Me out to the Ballgame"....Kelly was really quite an "athletic" actor/dancer, too.
Gene Kelly was a visionary. He created some amazing scenes, and was a pioneer in camera technology. You are right about his athleticism. Completely different dancer from Fred Astaire. Kelly moved with power across the sound stage.

Joel, set your alarm for 8 am Monday morning. Bad Day At Black Rock is on at 8:15. What an amazing cast. Spencer Tracy, Robert Ryan, Walter Brennan, Anne Francis, Ernest Borgnine, Lee Marvin headline it, but the whole cast is amazing.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT