ADVERTISEMENT

Carr over O'Toole 7-2

SittingSwitch

Rookie
Dec 16, 2007
Doesn't make Kennedy's mid-season loss look all that "bad" now....many on this board were starting the overrated chatter after the ISU dual! Go PK!

Reactions: TarpHawk
Quite frankly it wasn’t ever much in doubt who was going to win this one. It certainly was not a fluke.
O’Toole has limited matches this year. I wonder if he’s dealing with an injury. Carr is very good but seeing a 7-2 decision is a bit alarming given how amazing O’Toole is at scrambling out of bad situations and generating offense from nothing

O’Toole has limited matches this year. I wonder if he’s dealing with an injury. Carr is very good but seeing a 7-2 decision is a bit alarming given how amazing O’Toole is at scrambling out of bad situations and generating offense from nothing
I thought O'Toole looked sluggish. Carr won every scramble but one. I think it will be closer next time. Was really surprised he got ridden so long.

I thought O'Toole looked sluggish. Carr won every scramble but one. I think it will be closer next time. Was really surprised he got ridden so long.
The ride out in the 3rd was the biggest factor, it absolutely broke O'Toole.
And I actually thought Carr looked pretty damn tired midway thru the 2nd (during the review), but dug deep.
Damn good match.

Very solid win by Carr, he will be extremely tuff to beat he's very good in all positions. Maybe O'toole was not 100% , but maybe not. 165 is absolutely stacked with talent, it could very well take over the #1 spot toughest weight class all time.

Reactions: Tcalumet
Carr is also a likeable guy.

For his sake, it's just unfortunate Dresser and Co haven't been able to build a team to surround him.

Doesn't make Kennedy's mid-season loss look all that "bad" now....many on this board were starting the overrated chatter after the ISU dual! Go PK!
I've been on the PK bus all season. Think he's definitely a top five. That being said, I certainly did not expect Carr to handle O'toole like that. Wonder if he was out of sorts.

Carr is also a likeable guy.

For his sake, it's just unfortunate Dresser and Co haven't been able to build a team to surround him.
I get it, it's your schtick, but Iowa State has put together their best team in a decade or two. If they were any better Iowa would be #3.

I get it, it's your schtick, but Iowa State has put together their best team in a decade or two. If they were any better Iowa would be #3.
Uh, no.

That's also a really, really low bar to say it's their best team in 1-2 decades.

In the B1G alone, they would be a 4/5/6th place team. And your last sentence is laughable.
If ISU was a good team, Dresser wouldn't have to keep having his guys going to the LCO.

Last edited:
Uh, no.

That's also a really, really low bar to say it's their best team in 1-2 decades.

In the B1G alone, they would be a 4/5/6th place team. And your last sentence is laughable.
If ISU was a good team, Dresser wouldn't have to keep having his guys going to the LCO.
I too dislike L'Ames, however they have a good team this year. Can't deny that. Took three ex Hawks to get them there, no alums!

Reactions: Nashville_Hawkeye
I too dislike L'Ames, however they have a good team this year. Can't deny that. Took three ex Hawks to get them there, no alums!
Well, I think taking 5/6 years to become relevant with ISU's resources is a bit much, but maybe that's just me?
Looking at their dual results, they've pretty much "snuck by" in several matchups.
And they still have massive holes at 125/141/157/174. Being in the Big12 is a huge advantage for them.

Reactions: evashevsky58
Well, I think taking 5/6 years to become relevant with ISU's resources is a bit much, but maybe that's just me?
Looking at their dual results, they've pretty much "snuck by" in several matchups.
And they still have massive holes at 125/141/157/174. Being in the Big12 is a huge advantage for them.

Come on... KJ left an actual Ohio Train Derailment...

Iowa State isn't exactly a destination school. Wrestlers go there because they want to be good at wrestling. And Dresser had no way to prove that. And beyond Dresser, who exactly there is a good recruiter? I think St. John and Metcalf are certainly growing into the role, but that wasn't in their initial list of strengths. Add to that, that IaSt is playing second fiddle for any in-state recruits, and it was a just a recipe for continued irrelevance.

Dresser has actually shown they can develop guys. We'll see how they do at NCAAs, but it is promising.

Reactions: Nashville_Hawkeye
It is a very impressive win. Carr has speed/quickness like Jordon Burroughs. I believe for PK to beat him, they would have to game plan. In the match with Carr, PK kept "walking into" Carr's shots. We all get IOWA STYLE is constant pressure, but in this case, you may have to change it up with a lot more circling trying to create angles that keep him outa his best shots.

It is a very impressive win. Carr has speed/quickness like Jordon Burroughs. I believe for PK to beat him, they would have to game plan. In the match with Carr, PK kept "walking into" Carr's shots. We all get IOWA STYLE is constant pressure, but in this case, you may have to change it up with a lot more circling trying to create angles that keep him outa his best shots.

you're not going to "out angle" Carr. He's the best athlete in the field and it's not close. And his foot work is amazing. Willits showed the best way to beat him - do nothing and steal it late.

O'Toole was far too tentative in that first period (no shots) and then got greedy defending that first shot. Tried to cut corner after he got his leg back when he should have just gone baseline. And regardless of his close matches. Griffith should not be overlooked. He took O'Toole down 2 times in the finals last year.

you're not going to "out angle" Carr. He's the best athlete in the field and it's not close. And his foot work is amazing. Willits showed the best way to beat him - do nothing and steal it late.

O'Toole was far too tentative in that first period (no shots) and then got greedy defending that first shot. Tried to cut corner after he got his leg back when he should have just gone baseline. And regardless of his close matches. Griffith should not be overlooked. He took O'Toole down 2 times in the finals last year.
griffith has some jaggers blood in him. raises his level in march.

Come on... KJ left an actual Ohio Train Derailment...

Iowa State isn't exactly a destination school. Wrestlers go there because they want to be good at wrestling. And Dresser had no way to prove that. And beyond Dresser, who exactly there is a good recruiter? I think St. John and Metcalf are certainly growing into the role, but that wasn't in their initial list of strengths. Add to that, that IaSt is playing second fiddle for any in-state recruits, and it was a just a recipe for continued irrelevance.

Dresser has actually shown they can develop guys. We'll see how they do at NCAAs, but it is promising.
This is his 6th season at ISU and his highest NCAA finish is 13th!
And we all pretty much realize how weak the field is beyond 8th/9th.

To date ...I would argue the only guy that has "developed" is Marcus Coleman. Maybe this year's Natty changes my perspective.

Look at the hype for Swiderski and tell me what you see.

Yes, I know you will not just take away Carr's game. The idea is to make it as tough as possible for him to get to his bread and butter. Straight ahead pressure while he is giving ground, was playing right into his game! Pressure and circling maybe toward his lead foot forcing him to keep adjusting.

Not sure PK would be a steal it late candidate? However I would take a win against him anyway I could get one! Griffith and what appears to be a dozen or so others at this weight can not be overlooked!!! The weight class is insane and seems to just keep getting tougher!

Was very surprised how clean Carr was able to finish. I don't see O'toole beating him.
I don’t know….we’ll just wait and see. I still think O’Toole will be at the top of the podium come NCAA’s. Everyone has one of those matches in their ncaa careers…well, except Cael. Giving credit where it’s due.

Very solid win by Carr, he will be extremely tuff to beat he's very good in all positions. Maybe O'toole was not 100% , but maybe not. 165 is absolutely stacked with talent, it could very well take over the #1 spot toughest weight class all time.
When you have 2 hammers in Metcalf and StJohn teaching you to attack and finish shots you are going to get better. Wish we had guys like that in our room.

Metcalf and StJohn would be doing live gos with Carr. Teaching him how to finish under fire. Are TNT doing that? No.
I kinda get what you are saying but. Last I heard, Terry still rolls with the lighter guys. We also had Metcalfe(auto correct will not stop!?!?) in HWC for years. Currently we have several studs such as the Bull, Lugo etc....

Yea it would be great to still have them. Thing is, we can not keep everyone! That and we have been beating them every year for how long? I do not see that trend ending anytime soon either.

Metcalf and StJohn would be doing live gos with Carr. Teaching him how to finish under fire. Are TNT doing that? No.
First, I think if carr is the only elite middle weight for isu then that doesn't do much to support your Metcalf/St. John coaching admiration. Second, Carr could have gone to about 25 other schools and had essentially the same results.

First, I think if carr is the only elite middle weight for isu then that doesn't do much to support your Metcalf/St. John coaching admiration. Second, Carr could have gone to about 25 other schools and had essentially the same results.
^^^^^^This. Carr was going to be top shelf wherever he went.

And if those two assistants are so good, why has ISU struggled mightily at 157/174, or whatever weight Carr isn't at? Broderson came in with accolades and has pretty much sucked from Day 1.

Reactions: IRONBIRD
^^^^^^This. Carr was going to be top shelf wherever he went.

And if those two assistants are so good, why has ISU struggled mightily at 157/174, or whatever weight Carr isn't at? Broderson came in with accolades and has pretty much sucked from Day 1.
Compare the recruits we have had at those weights to what ISU has had. Pretty easy to see where the difference is. It's not coaching it is recruiting and ISU has been down for awhile. When Iowa was dominant, our assistants and the HWC guys were all studs. We have 2 and they are in their mid 50's. Lugo in my opinion would have been a national champ. Nobody else in the HWC or our assistants were close. That's A PROBLEM!!!!! If all of you guys commenting are happy with where we are at, that's your right. I'm not happy with 2nd and never will be for Iowa wrestling....

Compare the recruits we have had at those weights to what ISU has had. Pretty easy to see where the difference is. It's not coaching it is recruiting and ISU has been down for awhile. When Iowa was dominant, our assistants and the HWC guys were all studs. We have 2 and they are in their mid 50's. Lugo in my opinion would have been a national champ. Nobody else in the HWC or our assistants were close. That's A PROBLEM!!!!! If all of you guys commenting are happy with where we are at, that's your right. I'm not happy with 2nd and never will be for Iowa wrestling....
Who would you have removed to make room for Metcalf?

And outside of PSU, most post collegiate clubs are struggling.

Reactions: Grip220
Who would you have removed to make room for Metcalf?

And outside of PSU, most post collegiate clubs are struggling.
Adding to your comment to WEH8

The time period you reference was when all those post grads and coaches stayed on for NOTHING. Dem times are long gone. It takes big JACK today to do all that. Let's review a few things:

2020 Big T champs and Rated #1. I don't mind calling this a Nat Champ team. And remember, PSU was 4th at Big T, and rebuilding

2021 Big T and Nat Champs

2022 #1 pre season rated, then wiped out by injuries (not excuse, reality) 3rd place at Nats

2023 Rated 2 during what was suppose to be a re-building year. If you don't think PSU re-builds, see above

Areas of concern to be the top team. And BTW, to match up with PSU, the gold standard in funding. We know no one else is close.

Fan Base, History and Coaches. Today overall, this is a push. We have no advantage over PSU

Facility Will be a push as ours is complete. Given the recruits walking in next fall are already locked in for both schools, it is a push.

Current athlete support Rides are obviously 9.9 for each school. PSU gamed the system previously to achieve a much higher level. NIL changed all that. So today, a push.

Clubs Massive funding for PSU to bring in their stable. HWC donations are greatly improved, but way behind. Certainly PSU has the star power over us. As to training, on paper it looks better at PSU, but is it? Next year (which is what matters now for recruits) we have: Lee, ADS (would there be a better guy to train with?), Lugo, Sorenson, Bull, Warner, Burak. Who am I forgetting? And too, guys are brought in to train too. That's a pretty good group. I don't see us matching the star power of PSU soon, but overall I do think we match up because the guys we have fit in well with what Tom wants them to do.

The result beginning next year. Lee and Warner are gone, but at HWC. Ayala, Chit are elite starters, and maybe Arnold. Ben K is behind Cass and Block after Woods. I believe we'll bring in 2 "Woods like" starters too as transfers. If the latter happens, as it has with; ADS, Eierman, Lugo, Woods (because they can see the above) then we'll be the top ranked team

Essentially, beginning next year, the playing field is level. It'll be a big fight between us and PSU every year recruiting and then performance at Nats. No excuses anymore as that's for Wussies (I heard that somewhere)

Last edited:
Adding to your comment to WEH8

The time period you reference was when all those post grads and coaches stayed on for NOTHING. Dem times are long gone. It takes big JACK today to do all that. Let's review a few things:

2020 Big T champs and Rated #1. I don't mind calling this a Nat Champ team. And remember, PSU was 4th at Big T, and rebuilding

2021 Big T and Nat Champs

2022 #1 pre season rated, then wiped out by injuries (not excuse, reality) 3rd place at Nats

2023 Rated 2 during what was suppose to be a re-building year. If you don't think PSU re-builds, see above

Areas of concern to be the top team. And BTW, to match up with PSU, the gold standard in funding. We know no one else is close.

Fan Base, History and Coaches. Today overall, this is a push. We have no advantage over PSU

Facility Will be a push as ours is complete. Given the recruits walking in next fall are already locked in for both schools, it is a push.

Current athlete support Rides are obviously 9.9 for each school. PSU gamed the system previously to achieve a much higher level. NIL changed all that. So today, a push.

Clubs Massive funding for PSU to bring in their stable. HWC donations are greatly improved, but way behind. Certainly PSU has the star power over us. As to training, on paper it looks better at PSU, but is it? Next year (which is what matters now for recruits) we have: Lee, ADS (would there be a better guy to train with?), Lugo, Sorenson, Bull, Warner, Burak. Who am I forgetting? And too, guys are brought in to train too. That's a pretty good group. I don't see us matching the star power of PSU soon, but overall I do think we match up because the guys we have fit in well with what Tom wants them to do.

The result beginning next year. Lee and Warner are gone, but at HWC. Ayala, Chit are elite starters, and maybe Arnold. Ben K is behind Cass and Block after Woods. I believe we'll bring in 2 "Woods like" starters too as transfers. If the latter happens, as it has with; ADS, Eierman, Lugo, Woods (because they can see the above) then we'll be the top ranked team

Essentially, beginning next year, the playing field is level. It'll be a big fight between us and PSU every year recruiting and then performance at Nats. No excuses anymore as that's for Wussies (I heard that somewhere)
Nodir has been used by Spencer many times. Next year we have 6 guys that have shown they really get after it. We'll have a salty team with no transfers. We'll have a freight train if they can land 2 Woods level transfers.
I hope Wh8t can continue being a fan long enough to give M* the credit he deserves for the offense that Chittum will bring.
The bolded is big. The HWC brings in some top guys to train for 1-2 weeks at a time. There was a heavyweight there recently.. They had Nick Gwiz. in this summer. Michael Machiavello was there a few months ago. This is a great way for the HWC to get more bang for the buck.

Also of note Danimal Erekson was there again last week rolling with the HWTs.. He's coaching in Vegas and got the itch to compete again. It's a shame that some of the propaganda against the program gets eaten up by a few of our own fans.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT