ADVERTISEMENT

Carr over O'Toole 7-2

You gotta love the football fans on the wrestling board.
Yep, been to lots of practices every year. Follow the Hawks to Midlands every year when they went, to B!G's and NCAA's every year and to most of the tournaments that they and the backups go to every year . Yep, football fan.

Very solid win by Carr, he will be extremely tuff to beat he's very good in all positions. Maybe O'toole was not 100% , but maybe not. 165 is absolutely stacked with talent, it could very well take over the #1 spot toughest weight class all time.
165 is stacked no doubt, but it’s not in the realm of the 2008 149lb bracket. Burroughs was 3rd. Let that sink in. Dustin Schlatter beat Lance Palmer…..for 7th. Metcalf was on another planet.

Last edited:
Who would you have removed to make room for Metcalf?

And outside of PSU, most post collegiate clubs are struggling.
Morningstar, Zadick, move Terry to the HWC. Whatever it took. Will it be ok if Spencer ends up somewhere else? Brent was easily the best Hawk that Tom has coached before Spencer. Honest question, why do we need Tom, Terry, and Dennis our HWC coach all at 134 or under during their careers on the same staff? It's idiotic.

• Haha
Reactions: snotknockerhawk
Nodir has been used by Spencer many times. Next year we have 6 guys that have shown they really get after it. We'll have a salty team with no transfers. We'll have a freight train if they can land 2 Woods level transfers.
I hope Wh8t can continue being a fan long enough to give M* the credit he deserves for the offense that Chittum will bring.
The bolded is big. The HWC brings in some top guys to train for 1-2 weeks at a time. There was a heavyweight there recently.. They had Nick Gwiz. in this summer. Michael Machiavello was there a few months ago. This is a great way for the HWC to get more bang for the buck.

Also of note Danimal Erekson was there again last week rolling with the HWTs.. He's coaching in Vegas and got the itch to compete again. It's a shame that some of the propaganda against the program gets eaten up by a few of our own fans.
M* credit for the offense that Chittum will bring? So, the #1 overall recruit will get his offense from a guy that took a couple shots a match during his career? Lol, please, just stop.

• Haha
Reactions: Gobblin
Morningstar, Zadick, move Terry to the HWC. Whatever it took. Will it be ok if Spencer ends up somewhere else? Brent was easily the best Hawk that Tom has coached before Spencer. Honest question, why do we need Tom, Terry, and Dennis our HWC coach all at 134 or under during their careers on the same staff? It's idiotic.
Metcalf was a great Hawk but he wouldn't be top 30 in coaches I would hire. From an outside fans perspective I understand not being able to comprehend that, but anyone close to the program knows M* is 10 times the coach and recruiter. And I won't go into details why because I don't want to go negative on Metcalf, although there's a pretty decent list why I hope he never comes back. I will always love him as a Hawkeye wrestler though.
M* credit for the offense that Chittum will bring? So, the #1 overall recruit will get his offense from a guy that took a couple shots a match during his career? Lol, please, just stop.
You're giving Metcalf and DSJ credit for Carr while ignoring the facts that the majority of their wrestlers have been horrible at ISU. You blame M* for any of our guys who don't get after it, but won't give him credit for Bull, Kemdawg, Cobe, Kennedy, etc. All of whom are more exciting to watch than anyone Metcalf and DSJ have coached(besides Carr).. You change the goal posts and accuse those who disagree as not wanting to get better which is laughable. Trust me I hate the pedders being #1 this year as much or more than anyone. I 100% believe we have the chemistry and right coaches to knock them to #2 in the near future. I'm 100% certain that Metcalf and DSJ aren't the answer.

Not all great wrestlers make great coaches.
And there's a lot of great coaches that weren't elite wrestlers.

I don't understand this fascination with DSJ and Metcalf as coaches. I suspect one of the reasons they are with Dresser is because KD is obsessed with Iowa and he thought hiring them was a "dig" at TnT.

Reactions: moug
Jeez facundo lost 4-2 to carr and riding time tie breaker to Kennedy, is it possible for a penn st wrestler to get better in March and revenge a loss ,only time will tell. Ps is 7 national Champs out of the question for the good guys hmmm?

Metcalf and StJohn would be doing live gos with Carr. Teaching him how to finish under fire. Are TNT doing that? No.

David Carr was an elite talent before they coached him for a minute. So…please. Lol

If they are so great at coaching why is ISU so bad at the weights directly above and below him?

I don't recall anyone calling DSJ an attack hammer at Iowa. I do recall a lot of frustration that he wasn’t offensive enough.

Such a classic rant from you. Shape “facts” to fit a narrative.

Yep, been to lots of practices every year. Follow the Hawks to Midlands every year when they went, to B!G's and NCAA's every year and to most of the tournaments that they and the backups go to every year . Yep, football fan.
You go to lots of practices every year? Must’ve missed you every time. I also think you’d know who @acuhawk is and why his knowledge is more than most

Not all great wrestlers make great coaches.
And there's a lot of great coaches that weren't elite wrestlers.

I don't understand this fascination with DSJ and Metcalf as coaches. I suspect one of the reasons they are with Dresser is because KD is obsessed with Iowa and he thought hiring them was a "dig" at TnT.
Checks out except for the part that DSJ and zadick were at Va Tech with dresser. So he brought his staff minus one

Reactions: MitchLL
Metcalf and StJohn would be doing live gos with Carr. Teaching him how to finish under fire. Are TNT doing that? No.
You have got to be kidding me, Carr was great before these guys got him and Mr. Carr is a world beater, he may have a bit to do with his success also. Im not saying having them did not help, but your argument does not hold water.

Checks out except for the part that DSJ and zadick were at Va Tech with dresser. So he brought his staff minus one
You don't think Dresser had visions of returning to Midwest/B1G?

Really, I thought he'd end up at Illinois or Minnesota.

The "Orange" crap clarified his obsession.

165 is stacked no doubt, but it’s not in the realm of the 2008 149lb bracket. Burroughs was 3rd. Let that sink in. CP Schlatter beat Lance Palmer…..for 7th. Metcalf was on another planet.
Metcalf was one of my favorite Hawks, but an argument up and down the top 8 could be made, time will tell. JB really did not start peaking till the next few years.

You don't think Dresser had visions of returning to Midwest/B1G?

Really, I thought he'd end up at Illinois or Minnesota.

The "Orange" crap clarified his obsession.
I know he was very happy out east; wife is from there and kids all born out there. He'd been out there for 20+ years by then.

But when Pollard threw those numbers at him, that was tough to beat.

Reactions: MitchLL
Jeez facundo lost 4-2 to carr and riding time tie breaker to Kennedy, is it possible for a penn st wrestler to get better in March and revenge a loss ,only time will tell. Ps is 7 national Champs out of the question for the good guys hmmm?
Revenge is a dish best served…ah forget it. They just might avenge a loss though. Facundo, however, isn’t revenging or avenging anything.

Reactions: IRONBIRD
I know he was very happy out east; wife is from there and kids all born out there. He'd been out there for 20+ years by then.

But when Pollard threw those numbers at him, that was tough to beat.
Yeah, Pollard is obsessed too.

Reactions: Gobblin
I am fairly confident that I have watched Alex wrestle a shit ton more than you. His wrestling close, but still losing, would be the LAST example I would use for him to beat anyone. His style has always promoted close, low scoring matches against top competition.

Now, if you start seeing him scoring against top guys early in matches, THAT is what you should point to as him getting over the top against the top half dozen or so guys…

Reactions: MVPFAN
Yes it is. Iowa is not going to have 7 champs.

Reactions: AaronJDixon
I don’t know what the right answer is but right now our starters from 149 to 197, minus PK are pure grinders…going for that one point victory. We don’t need that mentality in the room IMO. We need action hammers like Kem, etc., at the middle and heavy weights who can teach and drill ways to score points. We’ve got the hand fighting down pat. That’s how we’re going to beat Cael’s boys at natty’s…by scoring points. Again I don’t know what the right answer is but us working for one-point wins against the top 30 guys won’t cut it. We need some body/bodies to come in and do some tweaking. Our lighter weights have been stellar but after that things get a little shaky at several weights. We need hammers who can work with our 149ers and up, even if we have to spend some money. We don’t need clones who excel at hand fighting…we’re good there. Not judging just sharing my opinion.

The answer is clear: landing top 10 P4P guys. And one big key to landing top 10 P4P guys is $, which means endowing the HWC.

The Inner Circle has been a huge boost to the HWC’s daily operations, but the endowment will be what finally levels the playing field. The more Hawk fans pitch in to the HWC endowment, the quicker that happens.

Nobody likes asking for $, but that’s clearly the answer, and every Hawk fan can make an impact. If anyone is looking for a way to help the cause, that’s it.

Adding to your comment to WEH8

The time period you reference was when all those post grads and coaches stayed on for NOTHING. Dem times are long gone. It takes big JACK today to do all that. Let's review a few things:

2020 Big T champs and Rated #1. I don't mind calling this a Nat Champ team. And remember, PSU was 4th at Big T, and rebuilding

2021 Big T and Nat Champs

2022 #1 pre season rated, then wiped out by injuries (not excuse, reality) 3rd place at Nats

2023 Rated 2 during what was suppose to be a re-building year. If you don't think PSU re-builds, see above

Areas of concern to be the top team. And BTW, to match up with PSU, the gold standard in funding. We know no one else is close.

Fan Base, History and Coaches. Today overall, this is a push. We have no advantage over PSU

Facility Will be a push as ours is complete. Given the recruits walking in next fall are already locked in for both schools, it is a push.

Current athlete support Rides are obviously 9.9 for each school. PSU gamed the system previously to achieve a much higher level. NIL changed all that. So today, a push.

Clubs Massive funding for PSU to bring in their stable. HWC donations are greatly improved, but way behind. Certainly PSU has the star power over us. As to training, on paper it looks better at PSU, but is it? Next year (which is what matters now for recruits) we have: Lee, ADS (would there be a better guy to train with?), Lugo, Sorenson, Bull, Warner, Burak. Who am I forgetting? And too, guys are brought in to train too. That's a pretty good group. I don't see us matching the star power of PSU soon, but overall I do think we match up because the guys we have fit in well with what Tom wants them to do.
I think you forgot Jayden. One of the best guys to roll with.

Last edited:
I don’t know what the right answer is but right now our starters from 149 to 197, minus PK are pure grinders…going for that one point victory. We don’t need that mentality in the room IMO. We need action hammers like Kem, etc., at the middle and heavy weights who can teach and drill ways to score points. We’ve got the hand fighting down pat. That’s how we’re going to beat Cael’s boys at natty’s…by scoring points. Again I don’t know what the right answer is but us working for one-point wins against the top 30 guys won’t cut it. We need some body/bodies to come in and do some tweaking. Our lighter weights have been stellar but after that things get a little shaky at several weights. We need hammers who can work with our 149ers and up, even if we have to spend some money. We don’t need clones who excel at hand fighting…we’re good there. Not judging just sharing my opinion.
You do realize that Chit and Arnold walk in next year to take two of those spots. As I mentioned above, believe there will be a Woods level transfer too.........just from history.

Our coaches and the guys who are in HWC, and teammates will sharpen their iron

You have got to be kidding me, Carr was great before these guys got him and Mr. Carr is a world beater, he may have a bit to do with his success also. Im not saying having them did not help, but your argument does not hold

It’s hilarious, right? Gives Dsjcalf credit for Carr but would never give an Iowa coach credit for Chittum.

L. O. L.
Carr is in his 4th year with Metcalf and StJohn and Chittum just started at Iowa but other than that your dumbass post makes sense.

Carr is in his 4th year with Metcalf and StJohn and Chittum just started at Iowa but other than that your dumbass post makes sense.
I said next year for Chittum which would be his 2nd year under M*. Your guys wouldn't be coaching Carr without the bag of cash thrown at his Dad. You want to list the results of guys they actually recruited and coached? Didn't think so. You calling anyone a dumbass in this particular conversation is priceless. Finally, you are also wrong saying TnT don't wrestle live. I watched Terry do some live goes with Spencer 2 weeks ago. You doubling down makes me think you're a closet clown or psu fan.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT