ADVERTISEMENT

Charlie Jones draft projection ... etc

BFs Bunghole

Scout Team
May 2, 2022
As a Packer fan I saw him show up as a mid-rounder possibility in a couple Packer mock drafts. Makes sense for a team needing help in the return game that's also short on WR talent.

But it got me thinking. If I were an intrepid reporter guy (I'm not, although I did go to the UI J-School, and I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night) why not interview CJ and flat out ask ... "What do you think the biggest challenges were at Iowa on the offensive side of the ball?"

It's a valid football question, and it's not like the guy has any reason not to be transparent about it at this point. Getting his take -- rather than that of a bunch of armchair QBs -- would be super groovy, man.

As a Packer fan I saw him show up as a mid-rounder possibility in a couple Packer mock drafts. Makes sense for a team needing help in the return game that's also short on WR talent.

But it got me thinking. If I were an intrepid reporter guy (I'm not, although I did go to the UI J-School, and I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night) why not interview CJ and flat out ask ... "What do you think the biggest challenges were at Iowa on the offensive side of the ball?"

It's a valid football question, and it's not like the guy has any reason not to be transparent about it at this point. Getting his take -- rather than that of a bunch of armchair QBs -- would be super groovy, man.
He’s come out and said that he left because he wanted to be involved more at receiver and be at a place where he could do that.

He’s come out and said that he left because he wanted to be involved more at receiver and be at a place where he could do that.
Uh, yes, we all know that. That's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about -- imagining, fantasizing actually -- about a much more in-depth interview that exposes the the nitty-gritty of what's wrong with the Hawks offense, and WHY. Again, from a football player's perspective, not some message board dingdong's take on it.

Uh, yes, we all know that. That's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about -- imagining, fantasizing actually -- about a much more in-depth interview that exposes the the nitty gritty of what's wrong with the Hawks offense, and WHY. Again, from a football player's perspective, not some message board dingdong's take on it.
So Charlie is an offense genius, like he can discuss line blocking schemes? I didn't know we had Bill Walsh at WR when he was here.

Uh, yes, we all know that. That's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about -- imagining, fantasizing actually -- about a much more in-depth interview that exposes the the nitty-gritty of what's wrong with the Hawks offense, and WHY. Again, from a football player's perspective, not some message board dingdong's take on it.
So why are you posting on a message board?!? Are we supposed to pretend this isn’t a message board??!? Let’s fantasize we aren’t on a message board.

What's the upside in that for Charlie? Snark aside, I'm serious, what benefit does it provide to CJ to do such an interview? If it's before the draft, it could come off as sour grapes/"poor football character" and hurt his draft stock. And after the draft, what's the point in talking in-depth about a school that you left?

I certainly get the desire from a fan's perspective to hear what he could think, but I just do not think it's realistic to imagine this is something that CJ would, or should, want to do.

That’s for your wants and needs, not the Packers. They could give a shit, nor would they publically offer up the dirt you’re hoping for.

They could possibly alienate a relationship with a coach & team that they have drafted plenty of players from!

It doesn’t matter people believe what they want. The old famous quote from a northwestern player that has been banded about 50 million times about how “predictable we are” was actually about the defense not the offense & people filled in the information they want.

Interestingly, enough for a long time our fans were pissy about the Defense being “predictable”….now we’re so good it’s a badge of honor!!!

It is really one of the 3 main reasons, I still hang around here…

Information….

There really are some smart, fun, entertaining people in here…

And I enjoy looking at how people process things, some with a wide lens some with a very narrow one!

This isn't that hard, we had average at-best O-line play most of the season, when they were adequate blockers, we had a QB that struggled to complete screen passes to the running backs let alone passes that actually went past the line of scrimmage. We spent most of the season without our most athletically talented WR, parts of the season without #2, #3, relied heavily on the tight end to be our only real down field receiving threat. Started a freshman running back.

Jones wanted to play with his childhood friend, and in an offense that believes in the forward pass.

schematically, there's nothing wrong with the offense, there were a ton of makeable opportunities that Iowa just didn't execute last year.. if the offense simply made the easy plays that were there, we easily could have had a top 90ish offense, probably a 10-win season and been repeat Big10 west champs.

So Charlie is an offense genius, like he can discuss line blocking schemes? I didn't know we had Bill Walsh at WR when he was here.
Football isn't that complicated. You just have to have a good week of practice and execute on Saturdays. That's football. That's what I get told on here after every Iowa loss. That must be true because the God figure KF says it right?

It's absolutely hilarious you apologists want receipts from posters that trash KF and then completely dismiss former players and coaches when they critique your God like figure KF.

Football isn't that complicated. You just have to have a good week of practice and execute on Saturdays. That's football. That's what I get told on here after every Iowa loss. That must be true because the God figure KF says it right?

It's absolutely hilarious you apologists want receipts from posters that trash KF and then completely dismiss former players and coaches when they critique your God like figure KF.
It isn’t that complicated. Half the posters on here talk about our “scheme” being archaic. It’s not. Our OL and QB were terrible, and thus, our offense was terrible, because they couldn’t execute.

This is what the OP is really trying to get at

Reporter: "Charlie, what do you think were the biggest challenges on the offensive side of the ball at Iowa resulting in you going to Purdue?"
Jones: "I wanted an opportunity to be more involved as a WR and I saw an opportunity to do that at Purdue. Plus, my childhood friend was there"
Reporter: "We all know that already Charlie. Since you were a former player, we want to know more of the nitty gritty of what's wrong with Iowa's offense."
Jones: "As you know, Iowa tends to be more TE focus than the WR. Since, I'm a WR I saw a better fit at Purdue than Iowa. Also to be fair, me leaving Iowa might have contributed to decreased offensive produc...."
Reporter: Damn it Charlie! I DON'T Care...I mean we don't care...we want to know why Iowa's offense was such a sh*tshow. You know like the head coach being too old, unqualified OC, play calling, poor treatment of players, racism, nepotism, lack of team unity, coaches being too strict, and so many other things I can think of."

(responses from this board)

Jones: "Huh, you must be a troll."
Reporter: "F*ck you Charlie"

Here's the only thing we need to know: Did the tampering occur before or after Spring practice?

Reactions: pistachio1999
there is no way he would answer that question and it would be really odd to ask that. He's not a CFB analyst.

What's the upside in that for Charlie? Snark aside, I'm serious, what benefit does it provide to CJ to do such an interview? If it's before the draft, it could come off as sour grapes/"poor football character" and hurt his draft stock. And after the draft, what's the point in talking in-depth about a school that you left?

I certainly get the desire from a fan's perspective to hear what he could think, but I just do not think it's realistic to imagine this is something that CJ would, or should, want to do.
Perfect reply. Charlie is a smart guy and won’t do anything to make it appear he lacks character before the draft. Also, GM’s don’t want a guy who “chirps” about past coaches.
To get the answer you need ask Charlie’s ex-girlfriends, uncles, wifes milkman. They would give you accurate info.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT