ADVERTISEMENT

Chittum

Chittum losing to Rathjen seemed like a deal breaker especially after hearing Chittum was leaving MN cause he was getting beaten by someone in their line-up. I guess we will know soon.

but he came back and beat him next time around.
Right, but I think it made people think maybe he's not the world beater some thought and/or that perhaps what we already have in the room might be just as good long term. Not saying he isn't a want or need but maybe not the priority he was say 6 months ago......

Right, but I think it made people think maybe he's not the world beater some thought and/or that perhaps what we already have in the room might be just as good long term. Not saying he isn't a want or need but maybe not the priority he was say 6 months ago......
I can see that too, but you’re also comparing a high school kid with someone that has been in the Iowa room for a year. Get the hammers and let them decide the lineup on the mat.

Chittum needs to be in a room. Everything he is right now, he's doing alone at home. He has resources to bring in partners, but he needs the structure of a good program. I'd love to see him commit and redshirt. He'll be the "need" we think he is when that happens.

With Chittum - in 2025 I think we're challenging for a title

125: Jesuroga
133: Ayala
141: Schriever
149: Chittum
157: Reyna/Rathjen
165: Kennedy
174: Riggins
184: Arnold
197: Franklin/Hill
285: Kueter

Reactions: T8KUDWN
If we’re dumping potential HS recruits based on a 12-9 loss in a freestyle match to a D-1 college kid, that’s pretty short sided if you ask me.
Sure coaches and staff take the long view but what does it mean to Chittum? From what I hear it’s the kind of situation that motivated him to leave MN.

Reactions: el dub
Sure coaches and staff take the long view but what does it mean to Chittum? From what I hear it’s the kind of situation that motivated him to leave MN.
If that’s my kid, I’m definitely sitting him down and putting things in perspective. Like dude, when you’re hanging with kids that are older and have more experience than you do, wear that like a badge of honor and the sting of those close losses should serve to motivate you to get to that next level.

Last edited:
If that’s my kid, I’m definitely sitting him down and putting things in perspective. Like dude, when you’re hanging with kids that are older and have more experience than you do, west that like a badge of honor and the sting of those close losses should serve to motivate you to get to that next level.
Pretty sure he is same age or very close to age of most Freshman in college

Obviously, on being in a college room, just stating his age.
Well…. Spending a year in a contenders room probably trumps chronological age and might be the biggest jump for some of these athletes. Especially the ones who dominated their way through high school competition.

Last edited:
It's that Pre-Madonna attitude on the part of Hawk fans.
005a8d94d0388095abe1

With Chittum - in 2025 I think we're challenging for a title

125: Jesuroga
133: Ayala
141: Schriever
149: Chittum
157: Reyna/Rathjen
165: Kennedy
174: Riggins
184: Arnold
197: Franklin/Hill
285: Kueter
I would think we could pull in a stud at 57 by then. Also so much at risk with kueter. Dude is a stud but football season is brutal on the body (not as bad as wrestling) but still. And it doesn’t end until late mid to late December depending on bowl games. I mean does Iowa not recruit a Cass level heavy that wrestles year round….?

smh. yeah, if a teenager who already decommitted once doesn't choose iowa it's Tom's fault.
I think the poster is referring to Brands’ tendency to give the recruit respect and the space and time to think about what is best for them - instead of pressuring them to sign, giving them tons of attention, constantly telling them how great they are, telling them if they visit somewhere else that he will pull the offer, etc. (ie treating them like an adult instead of a primadonna self centered HS kid). In some cases, that is perceived as non interest - and some superstar HS kids need the adoration and attention. It sounds like that may have cost us a few recruits over the year.

I think the poster is referring to Brands’ tendency to give the recruit respect and the space and time to think about what is best for them - instead of pressuring them to sign, giving them tons of attention, constantly telling them how great they are, telling them if they visit somewhere else that he will pull the offer, etc. (ie treating them like an adult instead of a primadonna self centered HS kid). In some cases, that is perceived as non interest - and some superstar HS kids need the adoration and attention. It sounds like that may have cost us a few recruits over the year.
Good points. When a recruit comes to Iowa they know what they are getting. If Tom and the really wants the recruit they go the extra mile. Think Kem Dawg where Tom jumps in the pickup and drives 700 miles through the night to get a story straight.
Here is a partial excerpt from Franisdaman March 2018.
If Brands doesn’t drive through the night, maybe Spencer Lee is given a different impression about the Hawkeye program, too, and doesn’t follow his Franklin Regional High School teammate to Iowa City.

Rather than shy from adversity, Brands charges into it.

“Tom, he tells the truth. He won’t hide anything from you,” Kemerer says. “He’s saying what he’s thinking. He’s not going to hold back. That’s a good thing. I like it a lot.”

Good points. When a recruit comes to Iowa they know what they are getting. If Tom and the really wants the recruit they go the extra mile. Think Kem Dawg where Tom jumps in the pickup and drives 700 miles through the night to get a story straight.
Here is a partial excerpt from Franisdaman March 2018.
If Brands doesn’t drive through the night, maybe Spencer Lee is given a different impression about the Hawkeye program, too, and doesn’t follow his Franklin Regional High School teammate to Iowa City.

Rather than shy from adversity, Brands charges into it.

“Tom, he tells the truth. He won’t hide anything from you,” Kemerer says. “He’s saying what he’s thinking. He’s not going to hold back. That’s a good thing. I like it a lot.”
Does Tom dislike flying?

I think the poster is referring to Brands’ tendency to give the recruit respect and the space and time to think about what is best for them - instead of pressuring them to sign, giving them tons of attention, constantly telling them how great they are, telling them if they visit somewhere else that he will pull the offer, etc. (ie treating them like an adult instead of a Pre-Madonna self centered HS kid). In some cases, that is perceived as non interest - and some superstar HS kids need the adoration and attention. It sounds like that may have cost us a few recruits over the year.
You did well, until getting to the Pre-Madonna part. Buy I fify….

That should be the next chestnut to be added to the Cesspool lexicon, imo.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT