ADVERTISEMENT

Chittum

I just started watching a few matches of his on Flo after they posted that article. But he is extremely heavy on the head, has a high pace, and is really good from the front head lock position. Likes to use go behinds, side cradle, or drive through with an under hook and grab the far ankle. Has solid scrambling abilities from what I’ve seen as well, looks comfortable from those positions. He Is very entertaining to watch from the little I’ve seen of him. Looking forward to his rematch against Henson.
Watching the video, he looks a bit like a heavier/shorter version of ADS...keeps coming at you and won't stop until he gets the TD. Would love to see this kid in an Iowa singlet!!

I stayed in the same hotel same floor as the team one year at Midlands…. ran into Tom at the ice machine in the evening and mentioned they’d had a pretty good first round…..

He smiled and patted me on the back and I was instantly looking for a brick wall to run through……. seriously though I don’t understand the Brands being robots bullshit….. they’re some of the most personable people you could ever meet…..

I’m going to get blasted probably but I enjoy good competition and the titles Iowa won I remember most fondly were the dogfights….. having the tournament won before the finals is comfortable but not as exciting……

I think one thing I love about wrestling is there are so many ways to find competitive success within a particular event even if the team doesn’t place first….. of course the team title is the ultimate goal….. but just saying I wouldn’t change a thing about the Brands’s approach to recruiting….. Hopefully just being honest and forthright isn’t a detriment……. if you’re going to try and turn a wrestler into the toughest guy in the nation at his weight…… you’re going to need tough athletes mentally and physically….. you shouldn’t have to massage an athlete’s ego constantly to prove you want them in your program

Guess my point is….. recruit right…. run your program right and you should have some success…..when you run into problems is making “accommodations” to specific recruits is when you mess up your culture in the program

I would argue if a recruit needs that to commit they might not be a great fit

Last edited:
I stayed in the same hotel same floor as the team one year at Midlands…. ran into Tom at the ice machine in the evening and mentioned they’d had a pretty good first round…..

He smiled and patted me on the back and I was instantly looking for a brick wall to run through……. seriously though I don’t understand the Brands being robots bullshit….. they’re some of the most personable people you could ever meet…..

I’m going to get blasted probably but I enjoy good competition and the titles Iowa won I remember most fondly were the dogfights….. having the tournament won before the finals is comfortable but not as exciting……

I think one thing I love about wrestling is there are so many ways to find competitive success within a particular event even if the team doesn’t place first….. of course the team title is the ultimate goal….. but just saying I wouldn’t change a thing about the Brands’s approach to recruiting….. Hopefully just being honest and forthright isn’t a detriment……. if you’re going to try and turn a wrestler into the toughest guy in the nation at his weight…… you’re going to need tough athletes mentally and physically….. you shouldn’t have to massage an athlete’s ego constantly to prove you want them in your program

Guess my point is….. recruit right…. run your program right and you should have some success…..when you run into problems is making “accommodations” to specific recruits is when you mess up your culture in the program

I would argue if a recruit needs that to commit they might not be a great fit
Gilman almost changed his mind supposedly due to lack of contact from Iowa coaches. Was he not a great fit?

Gilman almost changed his mind supposedly due to lack of contact from Iowa coaches. Was he not a great fit?
well where is he now?

We would have survived without him and he never won a title…. I’m not going to criticize the kid but honestly he might not of been a great fit in retrospect…. I wasn’t in the room so I’m not sure how affected the “culture “ overall ….. he was definitely more flamboyant than our typical guy 😂…. fun to watch though …..

well where is he now?

We would have survived without him and he never won a title…. I’m not going to criticize the kid but honestly he might not of been a great fit in retrospect…. I wasn’t in the room so I’m not sure how affected the “culture “ ….. he was definitely more flamboyant than our typical guy…. fun to watch though
If chittum is not feeling the love from the Iowa coaches, tell him about this thread being over 9 pages.

Let’s tell the whole story. Cory Clark committed when Gilman was having his freestyle success. The combination of Clark and the space given to him by the coaches make him uneasy. As soon as the coaching staff reconnected he was back all in. He was even okay competing with Clark for the 125 spot his frosh year. I believe being beaten out by Clark turned him into the hammer he became.

I’m sure there are examples of recruits Iowa lost that would fit the narrative of Iowa coaches giving to much space, but I don’t believe Gilman ever really wanted to go anywhere else other than Iowa. Anywhere else would have been his second choice.

Let’s tell the whole story. Cory Clark committed when Gilman was having his freestyle success. The combination of Clark and the space given to him by the coaches make him uneasy. As soon as the coaching staff reconnected he was back all in. He was even okay competing with Clark for the 125 spot his frosh year. I believe being beaten out by Clark turned him into the hammer he became.

I’m sure there are examples of recruits Iowa lost that would fit the narrative of Iowa coaches giving to much space, but I don’t believe Gilman ever really wanted to go anywhere else other than Iowa. Anywhere else would have been his second choice.
That’s more of the story, but not all of what I heard. Close enough.

Bullshite. You’re making excuses. And that excuse doesn’t fly, in general. Coddle kids?

So, Gilman needed coddling when he was a recruit? Cause we almost lost him before he made it to campus. He felt ignored, apparent and a similar excuse was used. But that’s not what I heard from our posters in the know.

based off how gilman said he felt when he left the hwc, i would say yes he absolutely needed coddling. he acted like a spurned teenage ex girlfriend and ran off to the biggest rival because he felt like he wasn’t getting enough attention.

Over a decade old story about a kid that was a 3x AA at, wait for it, Iowa. I’d find another narrative that actually applies.
It applies to the comments made by another poster. Not necessarily Chittum’s situation.

well where is he now?

We would have survived without him and he never won a title…. I’m not going to criticize the kid but honestly he might not of been a great fit in retrospect…. I wasn’t in the room so I’m not sure how affected the “culture “ overall ….. he was definitely more flamboyant than our typical guy 😂…. fun to watch though …..
Gilman was a great fit!! He got older and changed and started to see life a bit differently. Also, he probably knew that if he was going to hold the #1 spot in the USA, he could not be training with Lee and doing the same things he was doing.

Over a decade old story about a kid that was a 3x AA at, wait for it, Iowa. I’d find another narrative that actually applies.
Met his dad at the OSU match down here in Dallas. He was with all the other Iowa fans. I didn’t get the impression that there were any hard feelings, was more of a “business” move I believe!

His dad was a super nice guy, fwiw!

Met his dad at the OSU match down here in Dallas. He was with all the other Iowa fans. I didn’t get the impression that there were any hard feelings, was more of a “business” move I believe!

His dad was a super nice guy, fwiw!
Absolutely the right move for him, it has paid off .. I haven’t like the way he snarks back at hawks though, pisses me off.

Must be why Iowa got all the local kids because they can be on them everyday 🤣😂🤣 guys relax. Nobody knows how much the staff talks with Chittum. People are going to talk and make things up but very few know what's actually going on

Is it because Hawk fans are being snarky first?

Seems to be in vogue these days!
Thomas Gilman talks about rivals…that’s what he does. He did it to Minnesota, UNI, and Oklahoma state while he was at Iowa. Now he’s at PSU and is talking about Iowa.

That said, is it Iowa fans being snarky or Gilman being Gilman and us not liking it because he’s in blue and white?

For what it’s worth idc what Gilman says. I think he left on good terms and appreciates the coaching staff and his time at Iowa. Now he’s rooting for his new team.

P.S. us snarky Iowa fans think you’re great too. Or, am I just being snarky because it’s in vogue right now.

I mean there are a lot of Bad fans, but you just started coming around again.. so I’ll go with my info
I believe I had a legitimate question and followed by a legitimate comment.

I think @HawkFan1986 answered my question though.

and I never left….I’ve been here for over 20 years. Get used to it.

Just cuz you carry an opinion doesn’t mean it should be shared. Just sayin.
ok, let’s look at that. some can be shared but some should not be? that would seem to be an opinion and you did share it….so whose can be shared and whose can not be shared?

ok, let’s look at that. some can be shared but some should not be? that would seem to be an opinion and you did share it….so whose can be shared and whose can not be shared?
Let’s not…just take it for what it is….sage advice that I should have listened to long ago. Hell, even ol’ Honest Abe said it well, something like: ‘better to thought a fool and stay silent than open yee trap and remove all doubt.’

Mike doesn’t have an opinion on Chittum bc he has zero info on Chittum or any recruit.. my opinion

In my opinion, you know what the problem is? No one, including Chittum, the coaching staff, people on this board, and even my wife!!! Don't listen to and value my opinion!!! I get the feeling that others on this board feel the same way. They are very frustrated about this too.
But that’s on you

• Wow
Reactions: IRONBIRD
Let’s not…just take it for what it is….sage advice that I should have listened to long ago. Hell, even ol’ Honest Abe said it well, something like: ‘better to thought a fool and stay silent than open yee trap and remove all doubt.’
so when you tell someone not to do or say something it’s advice and not an opinion,,,got it. lol

Reactions: natchrlman
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT