ADVERTISEMENT

Chris Kingsbury kids

Ok, who was the last Hawkeye that was a McDonald’s All American that picked Iowa right out of high school.. I was young then but didn’t Luke Transfer from Indiana or Arizona??

Probably Kenyon Murray. I'm pretty sure he was McD AA and got here a year or so ahead of Kingsbury.

I was a big Kingsbury fan.

To this day, i believe the flex offense that Dr. Tom ran was a detriment to Chris. We ran no screens to get that guy looks. Our zone offense had him stand at the top of the key. It was frustrating. Put that guy in a motion offense and i would be his shot selection would have been much better

That is a coaching issue more so than a player issue.

I still maintain that if they could have been able to find a way to have Kingsbury to keep his emotions in check he could have been an All-Big 10 player.

No, he could have been All American. His tools were that good. He just didn't have the individual discipline....and he's said as much in interviews over the years. As I've always understood it, he was a straight arrow in HS, then got to college and had all the distractions he never had back home and it all kind of got away from him.

Mcsuasland was the classic example of how an unathletic shooter can have a nice role if you have other players to compliment them.

But when thats all you have its not pretty.

Mac was the perfect 2-guard to compliment Woolridge. Mac never had to run the offense and he didn't need to try to penetrate or post up. He mostly lived at the 3 line and killed defenses after Woolridge broke them down.

The school my kids attend play Kingsbury's kids. Decent players for C2 Nebraska basketball but nowhere near D1 talent. Their ceiling would be NAIA or D3 level. The one that is a senior is strong, pretty quick and very aggressive, but is a horrible outside shooter. The sophomore is the better player, better shooter but less athletic. Has good range but all you have to do is put a decent athlete on him and he's totally neutralized.

Chris was a character, and made some amazing deep shots, but with the passing of time people forget some of the games he shot Iowa OUT of. Kid had NO conscience, which depending on the game could be good or bad. :eek:

Yeah, that's about what I seem to remember. He could be really streaky.. When he was off, he could be a detriment. He'd get the ball and it would go up. When he was on, he was unstoppable. Although he had a lot of talent, his shot selection was questionable at times.

Completely disagree regarding Kingsbury. He is likely the best passer to not play PG at Iowa, had a post up game, could rebound and had the most effortless shot from anywhere. His issue was discipline on and off the court.

Absolutely. Kingsbury is most remembered as a wild outside shooter, but he was a beast in the paint. Dude could play!

We have our 2022 Shooting Guard!!!

When a prospect does not have a Rivals profile, that means they are REALLY, REALLY GOOD! ;)

E59OCtJXsAMX2LR

116766-7997918Fr.jpg

DeixcTiVAAArbCs.jpg:large

We have our 2022 Shooting Guard!!!

When a prospect does not have a Rivals profile, that means they are REALLY, REALLY GOOD! ;)

E59OCtJXsAMX2LR

116766-7997918Fr.jpg

DeixcTiVAAArbCs.jpg:large
That’s how you know your coach is crafty.
For the record I’m thrilled with this. Loved watching Chris Kingsbury. Hope his kid is a very pleasant surprise.

Kingsbury would shoot it from deep deep, I can’t hate on him thou.. who was the last McDonald’s All American to play for Iowa besides him??? If Jbo was 6’5 we’d be seeing another Kingsbury because he’d be able to get his shoot off better.. By the way I’d take Kent Mccuasland over Kingsbury thou.. if he shot it as much as Chris did he’d have every three point record at Iowa right now.

McCausland is WAY to slow for today's game. He was one dimensional. Kingsbury woukd post a guy up and had fairly good court vision.

Kingsburys effectiveness grows over time, I get it. His shooting %’s weren’t as good as some of you think they are.
Career 35% from 3. 30% his last season.
Career 40% from 2.
I remember him killing momentum with dumb fouls, Technical’s, or poor shot selection.

Dr Tom killed momentum with his substitution BS. That summitch cost us the UNLV game. I'm still chapped about it. The 87-88 team is the best Iowa has ever had.

I think EIHC is confusing the 87-88 team with the 86-87 team. No, Dr. Tom did not cost Iowa that Unlv game. The narrative that he "sat on the ball the 2nd half" is probably the biggest myth in Hawkeye hoops history.

And McCausland was not way too slow for today's college game. NBA game has changed quite a bit over that time. But college ball isn't that different. If anything, Kent played a more demanding tempo in Davis' full court press. And, if anything, he could probably get off more 3's in today's game. Played against Morris Peterson, Luke Recker, Michael Redd. I think he'd hold up fine.

He was a better defender than JBo. So if way too slow for today's game, then what would that tell you about JBo?

I think EIHC is confusing the 87-88 team with the 86-87 team. No, Dr. Tom did not cost Iowa that Unlv game. The narrative that he "sat on the ball the 2nd half" is probably the biggest myth in Hawkeye hoops history.

And McCausland was not way too slow for today's college game. NBA game has changed quite a bit over that time. But college ball isn't that different. If anything, Kent played a more demanding tempo in Davis' full court press. And, if anything, he could probably get off more 3's in today's game. Played against Morris Peterson, Luke Recker, Michael Redd. I think he'd hold up fine.

He was a better defender than JBo. So if way too slow for today's game, then what would that tell you about JBo?

@Rudolph, care to share what AJ Guyton said about Kent McCausland?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT