ADVERTISEMENT

CJ Beathard time in Jacksonville as Trevor Lawrence goes down w/ an Injury

The Chiefs literally won the Super Bowl the year after he left.

Most GMs know it’s damn near impossible to win a Super Bowl without a franchise QB. That’s why they demand so much money. Every other position is replaceable in the middle/end of a season.

Good point but the Chiefs still miss Tyreek, imo (or anyone who can catch the ball, for that matter). @kceasthawk , do you agree? ;)

After this season (Mahomes 7th season), he will have earned $136,254,472. This season he will earn $59,350,000. Next season he will earn $44,500,000.

If you were an offensive lineman, wouldn't you push your union to negotiate to have your position group paid more fairly? After all, they are the ones who keep the QBs upright.

And, as you probably know, running backs are another group struggling to get paid; they are important to teams and they don't play nearly as many years as QBs. I would think that they, too, would push the union to negotiate to have their position group paid more fairly.

The salary cap is one big pie; I just think there's a more fair way to slice it up.

Good point but the Chiefs still miss Tyreek, imo (or anyone who can catch the ball, for that matter). @kceasthawk , do you agree? ;)

After this season (Mahomes 7th season), he will have earned $136,254,472. This season he will earn $59,350,000. Next season he will earn $44,500,000.

If you were an offensive lineman, wouldn't you push your union to negotiate to have your position group paid more fairly? After all, they are the ones who keep the QBs upright.

And, as you probably know, running backs are another group struggling to get paid; they are important to teams and they don't play nearly as many years as QBs. I would think that they, too, would push the union to negotiate to have their position group paid more fairly.

The salary cap is one big pie; I just think there's a more fair way to slice it up.
Certainly an issue. This is why some QB's in the past have taken less or diverted some of their salary to help teams with cap issue keep good players around them. I have no idea where PM stands on that, but if he didn't realize this before, he sure does now.

Certainly an issue. This is why some QB's in the past have taken less or diverted some of their salary to help teams with cap issue keep good players around them. I have no idea where PM stands on that, but if he didn't realize this before, he sure does now.

Mahomes played like crap in their last game vs the Raiders. When he threw that 2nd quarter interception, IMO, he could have shown some effort and tackled (or pushed him out of bounds) the defender around the 10 yard line. Why does that matter? Well, the Raiders' QB did not complete a pass after the 1st quarter. If Mahomes does not jog but instead hustles & tackles the defender, the Chiefs might hold the Raiders to a FG. Instead, Mahomes jogged and allowed the TD. Late in the game, the Chiefs might have been looking at a 16-14 deficit instead of a 20-14 deficit.

After Mahomes threw that pick 6, he is seen screaming at his offensive line. Well, Patrick, your 2 turnovers on consecutive drives gave the Raiders 14 points; maybe they should have been screaming at you. ;)

Watch it all here:

Reactions: amahawk
CJ might get the start next week, too.

The story from ESPN:

Jaguars win without Lawrence; Week 18 status uncertain

i

Michael DiRocco,
ESPN Staff Writer
Dec 31, 2023, 05:43 PM ET

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- The Jacksonville Jaguars might have to go without quarterback Trevor Lawrence for at least another week.

Coach Doug Pederson said Lawrence's status for the Jaguars' Week 18 game at Tennessee is unknown because of the sprained right AC joint that sidelined him for Sunday's victory over Carolina, in which C.J. Beathard started.

"We'll see how he is this week," Pederson said after the Jaguars' 26-0 victory over the Panthers at EverBank Stadium. "If we play Saturday or Sunday, it all depends. But he'll do everything he can to try to get back out there if possible.

"If not, C.J. will be ready to go and we'll have Matt [Barkley] ready."

Lawrence injured his right (throwing) shoulder in the Jaguars' 30-12 loss in Tampa on Dec. 24. He didn't play against the Panthers, snapping a streak of 49 consecutive starts since the Jaguars selected him first overall in 2021.

Beathard made his first start since the 2020 regular-season finale when he was with San Francisco and completed 17 of 24 passes for 178 yards with no touchdowns and no interceptions.

The Jaguars (9-7), who clinched back-to-back winning seasons for the first time since 2004-05, would win the AFC South title for the second consecutive time by beating the Titans (5-11) next weekend.

Here is Doug Pederson postgame, talking about Trevor Lawrence's status.

Watch here:

Yeah, i think he played into some job security yesterday. Made plays consistently, no turnovers. He was never playing behind any sort of line in SF, so his abilities have always had a skewed perception.

A lot on the line for Jacksonville this weekend.

If the Jags win, all is great (they win the AFC South and remain the #4 seed in the playoffs).

If they lose, the Colts/Texans winner is the AFC South Champion & the Jags would need help to make the playoffs.

From ESPN:

i

Jacksonville Jaguars (9-7)​

The matchup: at Tennessee (5-11) on Sunday, 1 p.m. ET, CBS

What's at stake:

Jacksonville will clinch the AFC South title with:
  • Jacksonville win
  • Jacksonville tie plus Indianapolis-Houston tie

How the Jags can clinch a playoff berth:

• Jacksonville tie plus Pittsburgh loss or tie OR
  • Pittsburgh loss plus Denver loss or tie plus Indianapolis-Houston does not end in a tie

Reactions: WestCoastHawkI
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT