ADVERTISEMENT

CJ Frederick

I could be way off base here but I don't see a scenario where this team doesn't drop off the cliff if Cook leaves. Kriener is a wild card and that is being kind. Garza will improve but isn't suited for Fran's up tempo game. Nunge best case scenario gives the team some Baer-type minutes. Losing Cook's athleticism would a hole I don't think anyone the current roster can fill. Given the sheer # of bodies I don't see Fran bringing someone else in. Maybe they can adjust offensively but it has been a while since Iowa has had a player be able to go 1:1 and create a matchup nightmare for opponents.

I could be way off base here but I don't see a scenario where this team doesn't drop off the cliff if Cook leaves. Kriener is a wild card and that is being kind. Garza will improve but isn't suited for Fran's up tempo game. Nunge best case scenario gives the team some Baer-type minutes. Losing Cook's athleticism would a hole I don't think anyone the current roster can fill. Given the sheer # of bodies I don't see Fran bringing someone else in. Maybe they can adjust offensively but it has been a while since Iowa has had a player be able to go 1:1 and create a matchup nightmare for opponents.
It would be in Cook's best interest to spend the entire off-season with coach Speraw shooting 15 footers. He has everything else needed to be an NBA player but will not be drafted this year bc there are not many undersized PF in the league that can't at least stretch the floor to 15 feet, if any

Reactions: hawkeyeguy69
JoBo, Moss, Dailey, CMac and Weiskamp all returning, does he see the floor at all?

Don't forget Joe Toussaint.

1) JBo, CMac, Joe T.
2) Moss, CJ Fredrick, Joe T.
3) Weezie, Dailey
Depending on what Cook does, and the progression of the individual players, I could see us with a more guard oriented team next season. Baer is graduating, and if Cook decides to move on that leaves over 51 minutes per game up for grabs. Kriener has been inconsistent, and Dailey isn't giving us much on offense. Neither has cemented themselves in the rotation, although Kriener will get some backup Center work unless Pemsl of Nunge can do it better.

If Fredrick and/or Toussaint move ahead of Dailey, Kriener, Pemsl, and Nunge we may go smaller and they may see some decent minutes. If Cook comes back the starting rotation looks set with established players, and the competition becomes for the reserve minutes.

If Cook comes back, same starting 5 as this year and Connor, Patrick, Kriener and Pemsl off the bench.

If Cook leaves, slide Kriener in to the starting lineup and insert Nunge into the bench rotation. I really hope we dont revert back to playing a double digit rotation.

We will have JBo as a senior sharpshooter, Weezie as an outstanding Sophomore, Moss as a senior scorer, Garza as a 15-20 point threat nightly We will start Kriener/Nunge/Pemsl at the 4. I think we will have an excellent team next year with or without Tyler. (Better with Tyler)

I don’t really see any reason for Moss to leave. I also think it’s more likely Frederick sees significant minutes, if he can hit shots, than Toussaint, who probably doesn’t add much in year one.
I'd actually like to see the opposite. If Joe T. can drive and dish and play at least as good perimeter D as they're getting now, then I want him on the floor for substantial minutes.

I totally forgot all about Fredrick before I saw a feature on him on Fran's show Sunday night when Riley Till interviewed him. As for Connor and baseball. I believe he's not eligible to be drafted until after the 2020 season. Cause believe rule says need to complete junior year or be at least 21 if you go to college.

I totally forgot all about Fredrick before I saw a feature on him on Fran's show Sunday night when Riley Till interviewed him. As for Connor and baseball. I believe he's not eligible to be drafted until after the 2020 season. Cause isn't the rule 3 years post HS if you go college until you can be drafted for the MLB like the NFL?

He is eligible because of his age. He'll be 21 in July, which makes him draft-eligible in the MLB draft this June. If I were a guessing man, he'll play 1 year of hoops with his brother before becoming a full-time baseball player.

I may have misused the word "pre-draft workout" but I could have swore he went through the new NBA scouting process that Cook went through as well last year.. didn't he? Or am I having a brain fart?
I thought you might know more than I had read about Moss when this all transpired so I was curious. I read that Moss did declare for the draft without signing an agent but said immediately that he was not going to go through the draft, just get feedback, whatever that means. My understanding is that unlike Cook, Moss was not invited to any pre-draft events or tryouts, but rather he was just advised by someone that he should not leave school for the draft yet. Seems like he could have got that same info without publicly stating that he was declaring for the draft.

Reactions: Bro D
I'd actually like to see the opposite. If Joe T. can drive and dish and play at least as good perimeter D as they're getting now, then I want him on the floor for substantial minutes.
Agreed 100%. I’d like to see the same. My original point was that my expectations for JT in year one aren’t super high. If he’s able to come in and do the things you mentioned, that bodes really well for Iowa’s guard play next year

If Cook comes back, same starting 5 as this year and Connor, Patrick, Kriener and Pemsl off the bench.

If Cook leaves, slide Kriener in to the starting lineup and insert Nunge into the bench rotation. I really hope we dont revert back to playing a double digit rotation.
I hate double digit rotation. If Dailey stays, I could see him getting Dom Uhl Sr. Minutes. If even that many. Iowa went to 1980 final four playing 7 guys.

Not thinking Kriener and Garza both starting is the best idea.......

Agreed 100%. I’d like to see the same. My original point was that my expectations for JT in year one aren’t super high. If he’s able to come in and do the things you mentioned, that bodes really well for Iowa’s guard play next year
He will be our best perimeter defender next year, thinking Anthony Clemmons type player

Reactions: unoHawkeye
I feel like Moss, Dailey and Cook will move on after this season. Moss and Dailey senior transfer and Cook to play somewhere professionally.

PG McCaffery, Toussaint
SG Bohannon, Fredrick
SF Weiskamp, P McCaffery
PF Pemsl, Nunge
C Garza, Kriener
Sorry but what I have seen from Connor has left me less than impressed. He cannot get North/South with any consistency and he is not a long range shooter; therefore, if Toussaint cannot beat Connor out at guard then JBo will continue to be the PG.

Reactions: Hawkeyegrad2006
Without an injury to someone I don’t see much of an opportunity for CJ. That is good for a program like ours to not have to count on freshmen. More times than not it doesn’t end too well with our level of recruiting.

I figure there are 80 minutes to go around for the 1 and 2 spots next year. I figure jbo will get at least 30 of those. CMac will get 20-25. Moss will get approximately 20min at the 2 + some minutes at the 3 to spell JW.

That leaves 5 to 10 minutes between CJ and JT to earn. If one or both of the new guys are good enough to carve out more than that we will be in really good shape for the next few years. Also, I’m only counting bigger games. Obviously they will get more than that in the crap games.
Joe T can play backup point. CM can be 12th man or focus fully on baseball. Dailey never needs to see the court again

Dailey won't see the floor next year

5fb632e8a253e8e7e958ebbe47a3f331.jpg

Reactions: Hawkeyegrad2006
No way Moss transfers, would make zero sense.

I could see Dailey leaving but I hope he doesn't, I like what he brings off the bench.

Frederick is probably odd man out next year, and that is a good thing that we aren't relying on redshirt freshmen.

People worry about a 10-12 man rotation, but injuries and transfers tend to make that a nonissue mos years.

I don't see Toussant getting a lot of minutes, but I do think he will play consistently and situationally 5-10 minutes a game. He brings skills that we don't have.
Daley is awful

If nobody leaves early I’m expecting Baer’s minutes to be divided up among Nunge and Pemsl at PF and Dailey at SF. Hopefully Patrick will redshirt. I’m not expecting much in any minutes from CJ next year barring injuries. Spot duty and occasional “instant offense”. But I could see him getting several DNP coach’s decisions throughout the season.

Ideally JBo will be able to pick up more minutes at SG while Moss can slide over to SF for spot duty when Joe isn’t in so Dailey’s minutes are limited other than defensive needs. I guess that depends upon if the new PG is good enough to get some PT in games that matter next year. We should likely be a preseason top 25 team if Cook comes back. It’d be nice to not rely upon a freshman for any significant minutes similar to Wisky under Bo.

Not thinking Kriener and Garza both starting is the best idea.......
RK and LG have played some significant minutes surprisingly well together. RK providing a defensive presence and both of them being 3-point threats could make it work. If Cook leaves it’s a lineup that will be seen, with LG/RK or LG/JN likely starting. Could also see some PMc at 4 with JT at PG for a running option at times.

I like the added dimensions a Joe T and CJ bring. More tools for Fran to use when the situation calls for it. I don’t see major minutes for either. To me Patrick is the logical guy to fill Baer’s role.

If Cook stays then Cordell and Nunge are injury and foul protection. If Cook goes then the 4 slot becomes interesting and depending on how good the guard play is we could even see Joe W at the 4 for stretches. The thought of J Bo at the point, CJ at the two, Moss at the three, and Joe W at the 4 paired with Luka for brief periods could allow us to rain threes and cause defenses fits. I don’t know if they could defend or rebound, but it might be fun to find out.

I would be astounded if Patrick would take a redshirt year.

It's going to be an interesting problem for Coach McCaffery again next season trying to pare down the number of players that see the floor. I'd guess a lot will depend upon how much improvement Nunge shows, how medically ready Pemsl is and whether or not Frederick is really B1G material or if he is just a favor to his parents who are friends of the McCafferys'.

If Cook returns like I hope, I think there will be a lot of disappointed bigs on Iowa's bench. If not, I sincerely hope that about 8-9 players demonstrate they are heads and shoulders above the others and they get the vast majority of play time.

Moss will graduate this year. While there is a small possibility he comes back, my guess is that he takes the G-League route as he went through the draft process last season. I don't believe he will use his fifth year which opens playing time for both Frederick and Joe. I don't have a read on Cook but I hope he comes back.

Reactions: owenhawk
Moss will graduate this year. While there is a small possibility he comes back, my guess is that he takes the G-League route as he went through the draft process last season. I don't believe he will use his fifth year which opens playing time for both Frederick and Joe. I don't have a read on Cook but I hope he comes back.
That would really open things up. I like Moss overall but if PMac, CJ and Joe T are ready a Moss exit may be a net positive, if Cook stays.

Is Daley gonna graduate? Wouldn’t be shocked if he could grad transfer next year ala ellingson.

I think Cook is gone, he’s gonna be picked to go over seas and get paid.

Pemsl’s surgery is not a fix all situation. He could re injure that knee or have other knee issues.

Is Daley gonna graduate? Wouldn’t be shocked if he could grad transfer next year ala ellingson.

I think Cook is gone, he’s gonna be picked to go over seas and get paid.

Pemsl’s surgery is not a fix all situation. He could re injure that knee or have other knee issues.

This is Dailey’s 3rd year on campus. Doubt he graduates in 3 years.

It would be in Cook's best interest to spend the entire off-season with coach Speraw shooting 15 footers. He has everything else needed to be an NBA player but will not be drafted this year bc there are not many undersized PF in the league that can't at least stretch the floor to 15 feet, if any

So, you think that Tyler worked on layups and dunks during last year and the beginning of this season. I'm sure he spent a good amount of time honing his jump shots, can't you tell?
Shooting requires a goodly amount of practice but to be able to shoot consistently players either have it or not. Tyler can practice till the cows come home and I doubt that he will ever become a good shooter.
Not going to hold my breath that he comes back and becomes a Karl Malone clone.

Let us all hope that old dogs have learned at least one new trick. Hopefully F McC has learned the benefits

There are a lot of good programs that do not rely on "one and done" kind of players. Many of the players in good programs do not see much floor time their freshmen and frequently sophomore seasons because there are bigger, stronger, more experienced juniors and seniors ahead of them.

Here's a good rule of thumb, don't count on anything from freshmen. TC was the biggest recruit Iowa has landed in a long time. He was good but very unsteady as a freshman-with many big holes in his game. From Lute to Dr. Davis the likelihood is TC would not have even started as a freshman, maybe played heavy minutes but there would probably have been a pretty good established starter or upperclassman at that position not Uhl (zero) and Wags (basketball limited).

We don't need to rehash recruiting rankings etc... but the fact is all five Iowa starters were ESPN 4*s, with no one lower than a national 120. Only Joey W was really equipped to start as a freshman, yet all five were freshmen starters because the earlier two classes produced exactly one quality player, the Baer.

Now we have four juniors with a ton of experience that are all somewhere between good and very good players. In theory they'll all be back for yet a fourth season of starting. That leaves room for a lot of kids to grow behind them without playing extensive minutes as underclassmen. CJ could be one of those kids-or he could be Brady Ellingson and never really develop as a reliable quality Big Ten player.

Reactions: trojanLB
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT