ADVERTISEMENT

CJ Frederick

HawkNorth

HR All-State
Nov 24, 2003
Don’t see much chatter about CJ. He has an impressive HS bio and apparently his work ethic is off the charts. Just thinking about how he fits in with next year’s team. With JoBo, Moss, Dailey, CMac and Weiskamp all returning, does he see the floor at all? The kid is supposedly a great outside shooter but also does other things well. It’ll be a crowded back court with a lot of experience, might be tough for him to get minutes. I’m excited about his potential. Here’s his HS bio:

High School -- Named the 2018 Kentucky Gatorade Player of the Year after leading Covington Catholic High School to a state championship and a 35-4 record as a senior… scored 111 points (27.8 points), including two 32-point outbursts, while shooting 63 percent from the field (35-of-55) during the state tournament... set single-season school records for points (900), field goals made in a season (315), and 3-pointers made (107)… his 23.1 scoring average as a senior is second best while his 48.4 3-point percentage ranks third best in school history… 1,651 career points ranks fourth best in school history, while his career scoring average of 17.8 ranks third… team captain as a junior and senior…

JoBo, Moss, Dailey, CMac and Weiskamp all returning, does he see the floor at all?

Don't forget Joe Toussaint.

1) JBo, CMac, Joe T.
2) Moss, CJ Fredrick, Joe T.
3) Weezie, Dailey

Dailey won't see the floor next year
Ok still 2-3 too many people. Hopefully Toussaint is playing meaning he is bringing an element generally lacking in the FM era, a play making/ability to get to the rim at will Guard. If this team this year had that....MUCH higher ceiling.

Without an injury to someone I don’t see much of an opportunity for CJ. That is good for a program like ours to not have to count on freshmen. More times than not it doesn’t end too well with our level of recruiting.

I figure there are 80 minutes to go around for the 1 and 2 spots next year. I figure jbo will get at least 30 of those. CMac will get 20-25. Moss will get approximately 20min at the 2 + some minutes at the 3 to spell JW.

That leaves 5 to 10 minutes between CJ and JT to earn. If one or both of the new guys are good enough to carve out more than that we will be in really good shape for the next few years. Also, I’m only counting bigger games. Obviously they will get more than that in the crap games.

Last edited:
I feel like Moss, Dailey and Cook will move on after this season. Moss and Dailey senior transfer and Cook to play somewhere professionally.

PG McCaffery, Toussaint
SG Bohannon, Fredrick
SF Weiskamp, P McCaffery
PF Pemsl, Nunge
C Garza, Kriener
I don’t really see any reason for Moss to leave. I also think it’s more likely Frederick sees significant minutes, if he can hit shots, than Toussaint, who probably doesn’t add much in year one.

Reactions: Hawk_82 and Tunadog
I don’t really see any reason for Moss to leave. I also think it’s more likely Frederick sees significant minutes, if he can hit shots, than Toussaint, who probably doesn’t add much in year one.
So more no one gets to the rim and weak perimeter D? Ugh...

So more no one gets to the rim and weak perimeter D? Ugh...
It just seems unlikely to me that Toussaint comes in and is immediately a defensive stopper. If nothing else, I don’t see him as much of an upgrade over McCaffery. Especially considering the question marks surrounding his offensive game. If I’m wrong, that’ll bode very well for Iowa’s team next year

It just seems unlikely to me that Toussaint comes in and is immediately a defensive stopper. If nothing else, I don’t see him as much of an upgrade over McCaffery. Especially considering the question marks surrounding his offensive game. If I’m wrong, that’ll bode very well for Iowa’s team next year
I hear ya....I love this years team we just have a ceiling that isn't too high with the roster make up. A play making Guard or 2 would do this roster wonders.

Is Moss leaving a thing? Or something just thrown out here? Usually people grad transfer because they are better than their situation or worse than their situation. I would say Moss is right about where he should be. A nice multi year starter on a current top 25 team.

Without an injury to someone I don’t see much of an opportunity for CJ. That is good for a program like ours to not have to count on freshmen. More times than not it doesn’t end too well with our level of recruiting.

I figure there are 80 minutes to go around for the 1 and 2 spots next year. I figure jbo will get at least 30 of those. CMac will get 20-25. Moss will get approximately 20min at the 2 + some minutes at the 3 to spell JW.

That leaves 5 to 10 minutes between CJ and JT to earn. If one or both of the new guys are good enough to carve out more than that we will be in really good shape for the next few years. Also, I’m only counting bigger games. Obviously they will get more than that in the crap games.
Don't be surprised if CMac hangs up the sneakers for cleats. Probably depends on how things go for him this spring, but if he wants a future in baseball, sooner better than later, he needs to devote himself full-time to baseball.

Is Moss leaving a thing? Or something just thrown out here? Usually people grad transfer because they are better than their situation or worse than their situation. I would say Moss is right about where he should be. A nice multi year starter on a current top 25 team.
It has been the running off season rumor for 2-3 seasons so why not 1 more time? I don't see why he would after RS but whatever.

Reactions: Mohawkeye
I hear ya....I love this years team we just have a ceiling that isn't too high with the roster make up. A play making Guard or 2 would do this roster wonders.
This team is already top 10 offensively in CBB, so the playmaking PG need is a little overblown to me. Like you said in your original response, what is really needed is a PG who can be a stopper... which is why it would be major if JT can be that in year one.

And about the ceiling, I respect the opinion, but would disagree. The team who showed up against Illinois, Michigan, can beat just about any team in the country

This team is already top 10 offensively in CBB, so the playmaking PG need is a little overblown to me. Like you said in your original response, what is really needed is a PG who can be a stopper... which is why it would be major if JT can be that in year one.

And about the ceiling, I respect the opinion, but would disagree. The team who showed up against Illinois, Michigan, can beat just about any team in the country
I just see these elite teams with the guards they have. At a 6 or 7 seed we are facing most of those Guards in the 2nd guard=Not much of a Ceiling.

Don't be surprised if CMac hangs up the sneakers for cleats. Probably depends on how things go for him this spring, but if he wants a future in baseball, sooner better than later, he needs to devote himself full-time to baseball.

The McCaffery’s seem to be a tight family. With his brother coming on board I would still be moderately surprised if he quit b-ball. I would think it take a pretty amazing baseball season to make that happen. No insight, just my thought.

I am just throwing it out there. Toussaint's defense and ball-handling will get him minutes day one and you know CMac is going to get more minutes. Mix that with Frederick coming in, Bohannon getting more minutes at the two and Joe W being the focal point on offense.. all that combined wouldn't surprise me if Moss decided to senior transfer. I hope he doesn't though, that's for sure. Him staying would make it easier for the Hawks to let PMac redshirt.

I really hope he plays 4 years of basketball for us. Kid is tough as nails.

I feel like Moss, Dailey and Cook will move on after this season. Moss and Dailey senior transfer and Cook to play somewhere professionally.

PG McCaffery, Toussaint
SG Bohannon, Fredrick
SF Weiskamp, P McCaffery
PF Pemsl, Nunge
C Garza, Kriener
Dailey would have to sit out. Not a senior. I am looking forward to to seeing CJ Fredrick.

Reactions: TCOOL and Bro D
To have a bigger role he would have to go to a mid major and why would he do that?
Depends if he's okay losing minutes. He took part in the NBA pre-draft workouts last year so its clear he has aspiration to continue to play after college. If his minutes go down to below 20 per game, is he going to be okay with that as a senior? Or would he prefer to go somewhere, like Illinois State, and get 30 minutes a game?

Depends if he's okay losing minutes. He took part in the NBA pre-draft workouts last year so its clear he has aspiration to continue to play after college. If his minutes go down to below 20 per game, is he going to be okay with that as a senior? Or would he prefer to go somewhere, like Illinois State, and get 30 minutes a game?
I didn't know he actually had any pre-draft workouts. With which teams were they?

Who is taking his minutes, especially if, as you suggest, Dailey leaves?

Reactions: RocknRollface
I didn't know he actually had any pre-draft workouts. With which teams were they?
I may have misused the word "pre-draft workout" but I could have swore he went through the new NBA scouting process that Cook went through as well last year.. didn't he? Or am I having a brain fart?

The McCaffery’s seem to be a tight family. With his brother coming on board I would still be moderately surprised if he quit b-ball. I would think it take a pretty amazing baseball season to make that happen. No insight, just my thought.
I wouldn’t be surprised if he stuck around on the basketball team for another year so they can say they played together, and then bolt for baseball. Of course, it depends how his baseball season goes

PG- Jobo, Joe T
SG- Moss, CJF (Jo Bo)
SF- Joe W, Patrick, Nunge
PF- Cook (should come back IMO), Pemsl (Nunge)
C- Garza, Kriener

Daily- Transfer very probable
Connor- Might begin to focus on baseball- he is a top prospect. No knock on him on the court bc he is good, just not sustainable to play both. Maybe he plays one more year with Pat?

No way Moss transfers, would make zero sense.

I could see Dailey leaving but I hope he doesn't, I like what he brings off the bench.

Frederick is probably odd man out next year, and that is a good thing that we aren't relying on redshirt freshmen.

People worry about a 10-12 man rotation, but injuries and transfers tend to make that a nonissue mos years.

I don't see Toussant getting a lot of minutes, but I do think he will play consistently and situationally 5-10 minutes a game. He brings skills that we don't have.

Several of these players don’t even play the same position as Moss. I would be shocked if he had a significant drop in minutes next year
Obviously I'm hopeful he won't go anywhere and me speculating is probably just the result of a long off-week :)

But to your point above, I understand they don't play the same positions... but McCaffery will get more minutes at the one, Toussaint will get minutes at the one as well.. which pushes Bohannon to getting more minutes at the 2 which will take away from Moss. And nobody is taking minutes away from Joe W. I mean, we have already seen Moss lose minutes to McCaffery at the end of games a few times this year. Will he be okay with that next season? I hope so because I really like him.. but I am skeptical

Reactions: unoHawkeye
PG- Jobo, Joe T
SG- Moss, CJF (Jo Bo)
SF- Joe W, Patrick, Nunge
PF- Cook (should come back IMO), Pemsl (Nunge)
C- Garza, Kriener

Daily- Transfer very probable
Connor- Might begin to focus on baseball- he is a top prospect. No knock on him on the court bc he is good, just not sustainable to play both. Maybe he plays one more year with Pat?
I like it ... And agree ... Cook should come back ... unless he has aspirations to play in the G League or overseas.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT