ADVERTISEMENT

CJ Frederick

A lot depends on whether Cook leaves to make money. Who knows, but I think the odds are better that he leaves than stays. Moss might also leave, but it won't be to another college if he does. I would guess that he will return. It is funny how so many on the board were really high on Dailey last year, and now everyone thinks he is pathetic. I also hope other players are good enough to take his minutes, but lets give him a little credit for holding his own over the past month in limited minutes.

I think that if Cook leaves, the best case scenario will be that Nunge is good enough to start at 4, because that would mean that the Hawks are going to have 3 more years of a guy who I believe has the potential to be very good. He reminds me of some of the Wisky big guys who took a year or two develop, and then were damn good. We will see.

I also think that the best case scenario at guard would be that Joe T comes in and earns significant minutes at PG. That would suggest that we could have someone who could give us much of what Simpson has given to UM. I am not predicting this and have no idea if he is as good as his tapes, but that would be great news for the Iowa program.

I have no idea what is going to happen with CMc and baseball, but I hope he is at least back next year to play with his bro. I think PMc is likely to get some back up minutes behind JoeW, and maybe even a few minutes at 4 against teams that only play one big. He will be a much more important player after next year, when guys graduate and he has put a little meat on his bones.

I like what we have with Luka and Kriener sharing minutes at 5, although a few minutes with both on the floor against certain line ups is definitely possible.

I like what I see coming, but really big things will depend on Nunge and Joe T IMO.

Forgot Frederick. I hope he is at least good enough to be ahead of Dailey in any rotation. If Moss left, I could definitely see him getting minutes at 2.

Last edited:
RK will probably come off the pine but play heavy minutes. He's still the only other real defensive center and has to play almost every minute Luka's not in the game in most of our conventional lineups.

Judging by his high school accolades, I think CJ is probably a Big Ten caliber reserve as an upperclassman. Hopefully sooner. He won’t be expected to play big minutes like Oglesby or Ellingson were, which is a positive. Come in, shoot some threes, make a few other plays, and sit back down a few minutes later.

I don’t expect him to be a starter for anything other than spot duty in his career. I’d hope Fran can recruit some 4 star talent at guard that will start over him. But I have a gut feeling that he will be good for us in his 5 years.

Reactions: garberhawkeye
Judging by his high school accolades, I think CJ is probably a Big Ten caliber reserve as an upperclassman. Hopefully sooner. He won’t be expected to play big minutes like Oglesby or Ellingson were, which is a positive. Come in, shoot some threes, make a few other plays, and sit back down a few minutes later.

I don’t expect him to be a starter for anything other than spot duty in his career. I’d hope Fran can recruit some 4 star talent at guard that will start over him. But I have a gut feeling that he will be good for us in his 5 years.
You may be pleasantly surprised because I think you’re underselling him a bit. Played PG for much of his career and shot at a high percentage from deep. Fran was really high on him and Xavier had also offered.

Wouldn’t surprise me to see him end up being a combination of McCaffery and Bohannon when all is said and done. Connor’s size, athleticism, defensive ability, ball control. Jordan’s shooting (okay maybe not that good). Fortunately, he won’t be relied on to be a primarily ball handler, but think he has the capability to take it upfloor if needed

A lot depends on whether Cook leaves to make money. Who knows, but I think the odds are better that he leaves than stays. Moss might also leave, but it won't be to another college if he does. I would guess that he will return. It is funny how so many on the board were really high on Dailey last year, and now everyone thinks he is pathetic. I also hope other players are good enough to take his minutes, but lets give him a little credit for holding his own over the past month in limited minutes.

I think that if Cook leaves, the best case scenario will be that Nunge is good enough to start at 4, because that would mean that the Hawks are going to have 3 more years of a guy who I believe has the potential to be very good. He reminds me of some of the Wisky big guys who took a year or two develop, and then were damn good. We will see.

I also think that the best case scenario at guard would be that Joe T comes in and earns significant minutes at PG. That would suggest that we could have someone who could give us much of what Simpson has given to UM. I am not predicting this and have no idea if he is as good as his tapes, but that would be great news for the Iowa program.

I have no idea what is going to happen with CMc and baseball, but I hope he is at least back next year to play with his bro. I think PMc is likely to get some back up minutes behind JoeW, and maybe even a few minutes at 4 against teams that only play one big. He will be a much more important player after next year, when guys graduate and he has put a little meat on his bones.

I like what we have with Luka and Kriener sharing minutes at 5, although a few minutes with both on the floor against certain line ups is definitely possible.

I like what I see coming, but really big things will depend on Nunge and Joe T IMO.

Forgot Frederick. I hope he is at least good enough to be ahead of Dailey in any rotation. If Moss left, I could definitely see him getting minutes at 2.

I think everyone is forgetting Mash. Will it be a Cinderella Story?

I feel like Moss, Dailey and Cook will move on after this season. Moss and Dailey senior transfer and Cook to play somewhere professionally.

PG McCaffery, Toussaint
SG Bohannon, Fredrick
SF Weiskamp, P McCaffery
PF Pemsl, Nunge
C Garza, Kriener

Senior transfer isn't a thing that exists.

Theres a "grad transfer" meaning you need to graduate first , its doubtful any of them will be in position to do that. Maybe Moss but why would he want to?

Why would Cook leave at this point? Just because?

Is Moss leaving a thing? Or something just thrown out here? Usually people grad transfer because they are better than their situation or worse than their situation. I would say Moss is right about where he should be. A nice multi year starter on a current top 25 team.

No its not a thing.

Reactions: unoHawkeye
Depends if he's okay losing minutes. He took part in the NBA pre-draft workouts last year so its clear he has aspiration to continue to play after college. If his minutes go down to below 20 per game, is he going to be okay with that as a senior? Or would he prefer to go somewhere, like Illinois State, and get 30 minutes a game?

What are you even talking about?

He only has one year left so he would have to decide to transfer before he had a chance to be ok or not with minutes the following year.

A 5th year player shooting 45% from 3 isn't losing minutes to some unheralded freshman.

His minutes are likely going to go up with Baer gone.

I could be way off base here but I don't see a scenario where this team doesn't drop off the cliff if Cook leaves. Kriener is a wild card and that is being kind. Garza will improve but isn't suited for Fran's up tempo game. Nunge best case scenario gives the team some Baer-type minutes. Losing Cook's athleticism would a hole I don't think anyone the current roster can fill. Given the sheer # of bodies I don't see Fran bringing someone else in. Maybe they can adjust offensively but it has been a while since Iowa has had a player be able to go 1:1 and create a matchup nightmare for opponents.

Cooks is a good player but for all of his athleticism he is nowhere close to being a dominant player. Hes never even been all conference.

He doesn't score in transition, he doesn't dominate the glass, he doesn't protect the rim, he doesn't stop other bigs from scoring, he doesn't pass well.

His main thing is post up baskets and drawing fowls. That's not a make or break aspect, especially when that's Garza's main thing too.

How is a top ten offensively efficient team going to fall off a cliff without 1 guy, who usually only scores 1 way?

Especially when that same team seemingly has very little scoring drop off in games where he doesn't play or doesn't score much?

Iowa is obviously better with Cook but fall off a cliff?

Reactions: DewHawk
Drop off a cliff? That's just silly talk.

Luka will take up a ton of TC's rebounding and inside scoring. Have we missed Luka's development. Five 20+ games in conference in a row, as a sophomore. Don't we all pretty much think Luka isn't close to his ceiling as a player. I'm thinking he's close to 20/10 the next two years.

Joey W is just getting started. This is another really outstanding player, All Big Ten type player next year. I see Joey W as a 15-16 ppg scorer with probably 5 or so boards a game...and shooting a very high percentage as well (like Luka).

Of course Jobu gives us a four year starter at PG that is going to leave the school not just holding the record for made 3s, but doubling the record for made 3, and finish in top 5 in assists and free throws. I think we know the ice water he brings to big games and big moments in games.

RK is really quality depth for a big. We're going to need someone to emerge out of nunge/cordell/p mcc as a quality starter at 4 and some depth at guard.

Mash D could have a nice senior year, CJ could be a ready contributor, C McC is at least a high quality back up at point.

Wouldn't be shocked to see Garza, Pemsyl, P McC/Joey W/Jobue line up on opening night. Subbing Nunge for Pemsyl or maybe Mash D for P McC but no combinations should be a collapse kind of line up.

We are a Top 10 team next year if Cook comes back. Top 20 if he leaves. Will be interesting to see who steps into Cook and Baer's roles. With Garza able to step out and hit 3's, there are so many possiblities for this team, With going small and playing Nunge/PMac or even Joe W at the 4. If Joe T, steps in and can run the offense with Jordan at the 2. This team has so much scoring potential its ridiculous. Keep grinding and focusing on getting better on D, and watch out for the Hawks.

Reactions: Bobhaywood
So, you think that Tyler worked on layups and dunks during last year and the beginning of this season. I'm sure he spent a good amount of time honing his jump shots, can't you tell?
Shooting requires a goodly amount of practice but to be able to shoot consistently players either have it or not. Tyler can practice till the cows come home and I doubt that he will ever become a good shooter.
Not going to hold my breath that he comes back and becomes a Karl Malone clone.
It is apparent that he worked on his ball handling skills and defense this off-season-those have vastly improved. I am not saying he will ever end up a good shooter, but his draft stock will remain low until he proves that he isn't a liability from 15ft.

They have played pretty well together this year when they have both been in.
I agree and think it will work from time to time, but I think those two are the only two that can play the five next year- Cook can play it a little bit because his athletic ability, but who other than these two would be able to fill minutes there next year. Not saying it wouldn't work, just saying not the best idea IMO

It is apparent that he worked on his ball handling skills and defense this off-season-those have vastly improved. I am not saying he will ever end up a good shooter, but his draft stock will remain low until he proves that he isn't a liability from 15ft.

The nba doesn't want bigs shooting 15fters.

They want them to be versatile defenders and rebound.

I agree and think it will work from time to time, but I think those two are the only two that can play the five next year- Cook can play it a little bit because his athletic ability, but who other than these two would be able to fill minutes there next year. Not saying it wouldn't work, just saying not the best idea IMO

Have to see what Nunge and Pemsel bring to the table next year. Theres really no reason Nunge cant play the 5 too. Hes the same size as Garza.

I actually like the idea of having a true stretch 5 who can handle the ball at times.

I could see Garza and Kriener starting together but not actually being on the floor together for most of the time.

Reactions: Mohawkeye
Nunge needs to prove he can score inside but has a lot of potential. Pemsl toughness looked valuable vs ISU...and PatrickM should be able to fill in at 4 if we need a body....Iowa should able to weather Cook leaving for a paying gig somewhere. Getting better at defense would help the squad...maybe we can see an improvement next year like we did this year.

Ok still 2-3 too many people. Hopefully Toussaint is playing meaning he is bringing an element generally lacking in the FM era, a play making/ability to get to the rim at will Guard. If this team this year had that....MUCH higher ceiling.

Including quick, solid defense. We are lacking for that. Dailey and Weezy are our best point of attack defenders. And they are 3s.

Reactions: owenhawk
JoBo, Moss, Dailey, CMac and Weiskamp all returning, does he see the floor at all?

Don't forget Joe Toussaint.

1) JBo, CMac, Joe T.
2) Moss, CJ Fredrick, Joe T.
3) Weezie, Dailey

What about all this talk of Patrick at the 3, to take the remaining Minutes from Joe W?
Some were even saying Nunge. But that was a disaster on defense last year. If Patrick can't guard, that would not be a good thing ... We can score already ..

Last edited:
I don’t really see any reason for Moss to leave. I also think it’s more likely Frederick sees significant minutes, if he can hit shots, than Toussaint, who probably doesn’t add much in year one.

That will depend on Joe T's defense. If he has good-to-great guarding skills, he has to play (unless the rest of his game is a liability ). We sorely need that in our back court... However, defense is not usually picked up right away with newbies. We will see....

It seems some people think most of Iowa's roster has one foot out the door all the time. However, in Fran's tenure every player that has left has been one of the last guys on the bench. Wagner started some but there is no way he was projected to be any more than the 9th or 10th guy this year...same with Christian Williams.
If Moss leaves for some reason..OK, but I love the idea of a 23 year old 5th year player with 90 plus starts under his belt next year. That is some experience to lean on. We will be a very experienced team next year with new guys having to be spectacular to gain some minutes. For them, the may see the opportunity as being a year away with Moss, JBo, Kreiner, Cook? being seniors.
As for Connor, I do wonder what his athletic career aspirations are. He will be 21 in July so if he wants to play professional baseball he is probably not sticking around IC to play basketball another 3 years.

He is eligible because of his age. He'll be 21 in July, which makes him draft-eligible in the MLB draft this June. If I were a guessing man, he'll play 1 year of hoops with his brother before becoming a full-time baseball player.

If Connor can get his 3pt shot to go through, which he did at a 40% rate in HS, he will become an offensive threat.

He can drive, dish and finish fairly well. But when you do not shoot the outside shot, or at a good clip, it is tough. Defenders never have to worry about it.

Reactions: BBHawk
It seems some people think most of Iowa's roster has one foot out the door all the time. However, in Fran's tenure every player that has left has been one of the last guys on the bench. Wagner started some but there is no way he was projected to be any more than the 9th or 10th guy this year...same with Christian Williams.
If Moss leaves for some reason..OK, but I love the idea of a 23 year old 5th year player with 90 plus starts under his belt next year. That is some experience to lean on. We will be a very experienced team next year with new guys having to be spectacular to gain some minutes. For them, the may see the opportunity as being a year away with Moss, JBo, Kreiner, Cook? being seniors.
As for Connor, I do wonder what his athletic career aspirations are. He will be 21 in July so if he wants to play professional baseball he is probably not sticking around IC to play basketball another 3 years.

There will be a lot of minutes to play the year after next. From this year's stats, there will be 131 minutes up for grabs in 2020. That's a lot of playing time for Nunge, Pemsl, CJ and the new guys. Glad they redshirted, having the experienced bigs an extra year will be huge.

What about all this talk of Patrick at the 3, to take the remaining Minutes from Joe W?
Some were even saying Nunge. But that was a disaster on defense last year. If Patrick can't guard, that would not be a good thing ... We can score already ..
I actually forgot about Patrick when I posted. I absolutely think he will be the main back-up behind Joe.

Maybe Fran should fire one of his assistants and hire you. Have you ever seen the kid play? If we were recruiting him to play PG, I would understand your skepticism, but until you actually know something about him, you might want to wait until he gets on the court before you claim to know something.
I watched him play approximately 30+ times in high school dipshit

We will have JBo as a senior sharpshooter, Weezie as an outstanding Sophomore, Moss as a senior scorer, Garza as a 15-20 point threat nightly We will start Kriener/Nunge/Pemsl at the 4. I think we will have an excellent team next year with or without Tyler. (Better with Tyler)

Yeah, count me as one who thinks with or without Cook the Hawks will still have a very good season. They will still have tons of experience and senior leadership.

I think Wieskamp will make the big jump to being “the man” and I don’t think there is anyone on the team (Cook included) who has the mental toughness, elite overall skill-set, and demeanor to take on that role like Wieskamp. He has prepared for this and will not back down from the challenge AND most important, I think he will feel more comfortable taking on that responsibility after being on the team for a whole year.

Then you have Garza as really good #2 punch who has proven to be an offensive post presence the team hasn’t had for years.

Throw in Bohannon and the rest of the Seniors wanting to go out in style, along with the wildcards of the 3 redshirts and Toussaint and Patrick, I actually feel pretty good about next year!s team.

They will look different in how they attack offensively but we have had some glimpses of it this year.

I’m probably more worried about replacing Baer (no I don’t think Baer is better than Cook) just because of his intangibles. I hope there’s is someone/willing capable of taking his Swiss Army knife role and honestly that’s my hope for Patrick, that he can do that for 10 - 15 minutes a game and I don’t really care if he scores at all.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT