ADVERTISEMENT

CJ Frederick

Let's hope the "platoon system" has found a place on the trash heap of Iowa basketball history. Ogles was a pretty big recruit. Rivals, to whom I typically don't refer did have him about 20 spots above Ute and also some kid that was at All Big Ten at Michigan. Let's not forget that Ogles was the top backcourt recruit on 3 pretty successful teams; and a big part of the Iowa turnaround from national laughing stalk. Not every player that comes to Iowa

Brady never really panned out as a major player but was an OK reserve. Fleming was, of course, a bust.

To win at Iowa, not some other school with a different history or a higher profile one must rely getting some guys that need development-and a little luck in that regard. Did McC pass on a lot of guys to take Brady or Fleming of whom I'm unaware? Brady was kind of an unknown but he did have a beautiful shot, he just was a little to slow to make it in the Big Ten. Fleming had a good recruiting rep, clearly couldn't be coached and McC cut the loss fast.

CJ sounds more like Aaron White than any of the other guys mentioned, albeit different positions. Did not entirely come out of no where but blew up senior year after committing to Iowa. Of course he could be a bust but there's also a chance he could be really good. That whole Cincy area is good ball country and he kicked the daylights out of his HS competition in a pretty good state. Remember all the BS about Whitey? Too skinny for the 4, too slow for the 3? Not a lot of offers? Etc....

CJ might not end up a significant player but let's not sell him out because a couple of other white shooting guards, and let's be honest its all about being white, did not turn into good players. This year CJ would be competing with a low 4* 3 year starter and a top 100 4* two time state PoY freshman for playing time-with Maishe a respectable defensive guy at the same position with two seasons experience. Why waste a season on minimal minutes if you can get a season to get bigger and better head start on next year, right?
Its not about being white, it's about being able to do nothing but shoot set jumpers.

Reactions: hexumhawk
Its not about being white, it's about being able to do nothing but shoot set jumpers.

My point is no one knows that and most certainly not yet. Ogles could certainly do a lot more than just shoot set jumpers. If CJ ends up being no better than Ogles he will make good contributions to successful basketball at Iowa. If he's Fleming, or is it Flemming, he'll be bounced.

Reactions: HoustonHawkeye
If Conner works out on his shot over the off season, he’d be a wonderful PG. The last two last-second wins have come with him on the court, and both passes made by him. And it seems like he had a better shot earlier in the season. He seems totally reluctant to shoot now. Strange!

I feel like Moss, Dailey and Cook will move on after this season. Moss and Dailey senior transfer and Cook to play somewhere professionally.

PG McCaffery, Toussaint
SG Bohannon, Fredrick
SF Weiskamp, P McCaffery
PF Pemsl, Nunge
C Garza, Kriener
I can’t see Moss going anywhere, and Cook hasn’t improved his game, facing the basket and making jump shots. With a successful season this year, the likelihood of both of them coming back is high.

Why would Moss leave a starting role at a B1G University? That doesn't make sense to me.
He can probably transfer to Duke or NC and be a starter and get more minutes than he'll get at Iowa. If he can get in trouble maybe he can transfer to Iowa State???:p

One of the best things about Conner’s play is that he can give J Bo a breather, be it on the bench or allowing him to slide to the 2

Reactions: Buffalo43
One of the best things about Conner’s play is that he can give J Bo a breather, be it on the bench or allowing him to slide to the 2

Breather is one thing but JBo sliding to the 2 isn't giving him a breather at all. Man he runs his butt off at the 2 spot!!

Reactions: RocknRollface
Randy Larsen closed the PTL so I can't tell you if CJ will be good or not.

Conner shot 42% from three his senior year. And 50% sophomore year. So he has potential to help on offense, for sure. Some reason he hasn't shot well in college.

Conner shot 42% from three his senior year. And 50% sophomore year. So he has potential to help on offense, for sure. Some reason he hasn't shot well in college.
I wouldn’t be surprised if he could shoot 35% right now. But, much like Garza and Kriener shooting 3’s, that’s not a better look than Moss, Bohannon, or Wieskamp shooting a 3, and not a better look than Wieskamp, Cook, or Garza at the hoop.

I wish he’d occasionally take one when defenses leave him wide open though

Reactions: RocknRollface
I'm curious as to why one would think it reasonable, much less likely that Moss would transfer. Take a shot at a pro career somewhere maybe but transfer to another school? What rational basis would prompt such a move?

IM's a three year starter on a team that will qualify for the NCAAs and will return at least four starters (including Moss himself) and 8 of the top 10 players. He's not leaving some failing program for a grad year shot at the NCAAs. No one on this roster is even close to taking minutes from IM.

CMcC is actually hitting kind of a normal freshman wall. It happens to RS freshman also because that RS year is no substitute for the real thing.

C's shot has gotten flatter and less fluid for the last month. These are the biggest games of his young life and he looks like it.

Like many freshmen at this point in the season C's actually kind of hurting the team in most of his minutes on the floor, which explains the gradual downward trend in C's minutes over the last five games-again rather typical for a freshman at this point of the season. C plays minutes where Jobu is a high priority scoring option on a series of specific plays, or the main man is getting a short blow.

If Ike stays it won't be much different next season, except maybe C rediscovers some scoring offense so smaller defenders have to stay a little closer-C's a big kid that can get to rim against smaller defenders if he could hit enough jumpers for pull some defense to him. I think C will simply improve every year, like most players, especially the sons of coaches, but his starting role is probably yet another season away.

I wouldn’t be surprised if he could shoot 35% right now. But, much like Garza and Kriener shooting 3’s, that’s not a better look than Moss, Bohannon, or Wieskamp shooting a 3, and not a better look than Wieskamp, Cook, or Garza at the hoop.

I wish he’d occasionally take one when defenses leave him wide open though

Agreed, Connor passes up open looks but they still usually end up getting a good look on that posession from someone else.

Iowa is the most efficient offensive team in the league so it's not hurting.

Reactions: unoHawkeye
I can’t see Moss going anywhere, and Cook hasn’t improved his game, facing the basket and making jump shots. With a successful season this year, the likelihood of both of them coming back is high.

If Cook goes anywhere, it will be Europe. No way he is getting drafted.

Reactions: biggreydogs
Another thing on Conner - he didn't really play much last year, so this is pretty much his freshman year - and he actually may have regressed with Baseball taking some practice time away in the spring.

Reactions: papabeef
That'd be awesome if CJ was the real deal. If he can fill the role of shooter off the bench, that'd be great. Feel we haven't had one of those in a while.. somehow

Kid has good handles too, excited to see what he can do.

Reactions: Bro D
That'd be awesome if CJ was the real deal. If he can fill the role of shooter off the bench, that'd be great. Feel we haven't had one of those in a while.. somehow

Not sure its a bench role. C McC certainly doesn't look like a shooter and Jordan is far better with the ball than without it.

I suppose Joey W can move down to that spot and we hope that P McC can guard at the 3.

One thing is certain, CJF is going to get a real shot at extensive playing time. My God I hope he's at least semi ready for the defensive end at this level of ball and can really shoot, cuz we just lost a three year starter that was hitting 42% from 3.

No way Moss transfers, would make zero sense.

I could see Dailey leaving but I hope he doesn't, I like what he brings off the bench.

Frederick is probably odd man out next year, and that is a good thing that we aren't relying on redshirt freshmen.

People worry about a 10-12 man rotation, but injuries and transfers tend to make that a nonissue mos years.

I don't see Toussant getting a lot of minutes, but I do think he will play consistently and situationally 5-10 minutes a game. He brings skills that we don't have.

I bet he does. Sorry had to

JoBo, Moss, Dailey, CMac and Weiskamp all returning, does he see the floor at all?

Don't forget Joe Toussaint.

1) JBo, CMac, Joe T.
2) Moss, CJ Fredrick, Joe T.
3) Weezie, Dailey
HC has much on his plate. Busy off-season. Joe T. Brings ball up much. Fran Busy. Go Hawk Players and us Fans!!

Not only was he on fire today but he hit HUGE shots throughout the game for momentum.

And I’m talking about a lot of his makes in the first half.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT