ADVERTISEMENT

Clarence Thomas

Shocked Sheldon Cooper GIF by CBS

Justification for one branch of the govt to check and balance one of the others? Seems there is enough information on the table a reasonable person could offer suspicion of impropriety..... We've seen Rs in congress start inquiries for less (recently).

But the House of Reps will protect him. They're the ones who can request his tax records to review them.

DOJ could certainly start digging, but the House could review whether that loan was declared as income, or not.

I mean, if the Thomas stuff was linked to a liberal SC justice cons would be losing their minds imo.

I do not understand how one could look at all these things that have been done for him over the years and objectively not think they’re problematic for someone whose at least publicly supposed to present the appearance of being impartial.

I mean, if the Thomas stuff was linked to a liberal SC justice cons would be losing their minds imo.

I do not understand how one could look at all these things that have been done for him over the years and objectively not think they’re problematic for someone whose at least publicly supposed to present the appearance of being impartial.
I am guessing that reporters are actively digging into Thomas, his finances and those of his "friends." If there is a story there it will come out sooner or later.

I am guessing that reporters are actively digging into Thomas, his finances and those of his "friends." If there is a story there it will come out sooner or later.
There have been multiple stories already. A judge at a lower level likely would have been forced to resign already, but there’s no rules governing SCOTUS judges.

There have been multiple stories already. A judge at a lower level likely would have been forced to resign already, but there’s no rules governing SCOTUS judges.
Oh I know there have been stories that make this look bad and unethical. However, I'm referring to any beyond that or if those with ties did anything illegal to hide their financial relationship with him.

Oh I know there have been stories that make this look bad and unethical. However, I'm referring to any beyond that or if those with ties did anything illegal to hide their financial relationship with him.
I’d honestly be surprised if anything illegal actually went down. I just think a lot of unethical stuff went down from SCOTUS perspective

You mean what's already out there isn't enough for you?

Free house for his mother?
Free trips?
Free 200k motorcoach?
Again, those are ugly and if people are honest it's not something you want in any judge. However, seems like it's legal. And, until something like that comes out he's just sleazy which his party is fine with.

Reactions: fsu1jreed
Again, those are ugly and if people are honest it's not something you want in any judge. However, seems like it's legal. And, until something like that comes out he's just sleazy which his party is fine with.
But it is not "legal"

Particularly when some of those "free" gifts should have been claimed on his taxes.
As well as he should have recused himself from cases related to any of them. That's something legal standards actually require.

Oh I know there have been stories that make this look bad and unethical. However, I'm referring to any beyond that or if those with ties did anything illegal to hide their financial relationship withbuddy's.

I think you've inadvertently buried the lede here.

Until very very recently, an ethical standard far above the letter of the law was standard practice for high ranking offices in the government and rightfully so. It's not good for us that that standard has been thrown on the trash heap of history.

I think you've inadvertently buried the lede here.

Until very very recently, an ethical standard far above the letter of the law was standard practice for high ranking offices in the government and rightfully so. It's not good for us that that standard has been thrown on the trash heap of history.
The tragic bit we’ve learned thanks to Thomas is that there is not ethical standard SCOTUS is required to abide by.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT