ADVERTISEMENT

Clark

MadTown Hawk

Team MVP
Nov 24, 2014
We spend a great deal of time debating Gilman's behavior, but I think it sometimes gets overlooked what a class act Clark is. He had an extremely tough loss but still sought NATO out after the match to congratulate him. Clark is the definition of "solid" and quietly goes about his business. He has represented Iowa extremely well these past 5 years. I'd love to see him get that National Championship before he is done.

Last edited:
One of my favorite all time hawks, for reasons that should be pretty obvious to anyone who has followed his career. Clark has my utmost respect, and is the epitome of toughness in the sport of wrestling. A true testament to the term 'warrior'.

Watching him battle it out one last time for a B1G title was a bittersweet sight, regardless of the result the man puts on an exciting performance for the fans every time, and leaves it all on the line. Bitter in the sense that it was the 2nd to last competition I'll ever get to watch Clark in while still in college. Really gonna miss Cory, and i'll be there in St. Louis cheering my ass off for you to win that title as a senior.

Tell you what...given what we know about Clark's injury.
What do we know about Clark's injury? I don't think I've ever seen anything official on it.

Clark is not my favorite Hawk wrestler of all time. Just love the way this guy scraps. He's going to be right there for the title in St Louis. Hope he gets it.

Reactions: pumpdog20
That was great wrestling. Nato was in deep, clark was fighting off great shots, clark would get in deep and nato was fighting. Just wish, we couldve held on another second to push it to ot. Those two should wrestle again in a few weeks though.

Despite what has to be limited mat time, he doesn't gas
That's what surprises me is his stamina as it's hard to begin to fathom how difficult it must be to stay in top wrestling shape when he's dealing with an injury that has nagged him throughout the year. Hope he ends on a high note this year and I'm going to miss watching him next year. Seems like yesterday when he was a freshman.

Didn't quite understand the stoppage in Clarks match that had to do with Nato pulling on Clark's head gear. Evidently the other official said he didn't see it and if so then he must not have been paying attention.
Watch out for the singlet pull next time - NATO is a master at that

I think there are several things in that match that were telling. The head ref clearly says on audio that there was a head gear violation. Grabbing the head gear. Then he back pedals and asks the assistant. No point for Clark. Then an illegal hold, 1 point for Tomasello. Then locked hands, 1 point Tomasello. He didn't ask the assistant on either of those. Any other ref, Clark wins.

I think there are several things in that match that were telling. The head ref clearly says on audio that there was a head gear violation. Grabbing the head gear. Then he back pedals and asks the assistant. No point for Clark. Then an illegal hold, 1 point for Tomasello. Then locked hands, 1 point Tomasello. He didn't ask the assistant on either of those. Any other ref, Clark wins.
I AGREE 100 %... The refs were clearly lacking and the explanations or lack thereof were terrible. Why make such a garbage call instead of letting them go to OT and settle it the right way...on the mat !

Reactions: mcsorley
What do we know about Clark's injury? I don't think I've ever seen anything official on it.

Clark is not my favorite Hawk wrestler of all time. Just love the way this guy scraps. He's going to be right there for the title in St Louis. Hope he gets it.

Unofficial word is a partial/full Labrum tear, won't know for sure until he's in surgery.

Reactions: Azchief32
Despite what has to be limited mat time, he doesn't gas
I hadn't even considered that. Great point.

I have been in for him his whole Hawkeye career. He has really caught some bad breaks this year with calls and some things that could have definitely went his way and changed this. His mental is on track and I really hope we see the best of him at the NCAA tournament. I really wish he was 100 percent though. I got nervous at one point in the NATO match when I thought he tweaked it.

Unofficial word is a partial/full Labrum tear, won't know for sure until he's in surgery.
Speaking from experience a labrum tear is not painful at all which is good for Cory. The problem is there's little to no strength left and the increased possibility for dislocations. I agree with Cory when he said more matches helps loosen it up because it does get very tight but I found the day after heavy usage was when it became the tightest and weakest. I think the second match of the tourney is when Clarks shoulder will feel the best

I think tOSU bench might have said locked hands, ref said illegal move, which was a cutback. Not always call however it did happen. They were talked about at the same time and only 1pt total was awarded. The headgear part was bs. Intentional or not he pulled on them hard and ripped them off.

I have a lot of thoughts, but don't have the time to jot them all down right now, but the takeaway is in 12 days HE WILL BE A NATIONAL CHAMPION

It sucks he lost that match yesterday, but I honestly believe he beats Tomasello if he gets another crack. The headgear point was obvious and a "F" up from the ref. If it's apparent enough to stop the match you AT LEAST need to review it. Can't rely on the ref (who was on the other side of the mat) to bail you out. Get rid of the "illegal move" and that's a 1 point win for a B1G title against a National Champ. Nothing to hang your head on in that match.

Clark is a gamer. He's tougher than what many give him credit for. That's a legit injury he's dealing with and he's plowing through it without making any excuses.

I think tOSU bench might have said locked hands, ref said illegal move, which was a cutback. Not always call however it did happen. They were talked about at the same time and only 1pt total was awarded. The headgear part was bs. Intentional or not he pulled on them hard and ripped them off.

Both guys had one takedown; both had 2 escapes; both were close to additional takedowns; the difference was a penalty point for Tomasello (apparently correctly called) and the failure to call a penalty against Tomasello (which was not correctly called). I was worried that Tomasello's strength and Clark's injury would make this a bad match up for Clark. Thankfully, I was wrong. Tremendous match by both guys, won by Tomasello with an escape in the final second. Hope they meet up at nationals. Clark's a total class act and would be a very deserving national champ.

Reactions: 1stplacehawk
We spend a great deal of time debating Gillian's behavior, but I think it sometimes gets overlooked what a class act Clark is. He had an extremely tough loss but still sought NATO out after the match to congratulate him. Clark is the definition of "solid" and quietly goes about his business. He has represented Iowa extremely well these past 5 years. I'd love to see him get that National Championship before he is done.

Damn straight! If he makes it to finals, it will be five tough matches. Can his body take it? Did pretty will with four matches in two days. :)

GO CORY!!

GO HAWKS!!

Cut back. Imagine being belly to back and then all of a sudden throwing your knees into the back of your opponents knees to bring them back down...very rarely called

TnT didn't argue it. Never going to win that arguement as its a judgement call(see chief's comment on rarely called).

With that said, it was kind of weak. In fact, the color guys didn't even know what was called at first, so it clearly wasn't too obvious.

TnT didn't argue it. Never going to win that arguement as its a judgement call(see chief's comment on rarely called).

With that said, it was kind of weak. In fact, the color guys didn't even know what was called at first, so it clearly wasn't too obvious.

Yeah, I guess I didn't know that rule. Seems silly when they allow you to shove your foot in your opponents face during a scramble.

Yeah, I guess I didn't know that rule. Seems silly when they allow you to shove your foot in your opponents face during a scramble.
The worst that could happen when you put your foot in someone's face is some scratches/bumps bruises. This cut back puts a lot of pressure on the opponents knees with the potential for some serious knee injury. That is why it's illegal.

Page 96 image 67 https://www.ncaapublications.com/p-...s-and-interpretations-2-year-publication.aspx

Let me ask a question. If your hand accidentally gets caught in a head gear and you are trying to free it, is that the same thing as a headgear pull. Sometimes a hand gets caught in a singlet and the refs will stop the match so the guy can get his hand out of it. Is it possible that that was the rationale the refs used? I did not see it only pictures of it, so I actually do not know.

Let me ask a question. If your hand accidentally gets caught in a head gear and you are trying to free it, is that the same thing as a headgear pull. Sometimes a hand gets caught in a singlet and the refs will stop the match so the guy can get his hand out of it. Is it possible that that was the rationale the refs used? I did not see it only pictures of it, so I actually do not know.
It was a while ago since I wrestled but I don't recall ever getting my hand/fingers caught in head gear while it did happen with the singlet.

Intent is irrelevant. It either happened or it didn't.

Happens in football all the time with guys fully laid out leaping for a tackle and get a hold of the face mask even though they are just trying to grab anything. Still a penalty. A ref can't judge intent...only what happened.

Reactions: Stanley75
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT