ADVERTISEMENT

Cocktails-To-Go sweeping the nation....

The Tradition

HR King
Apr 23, 2002
Floridians will be allowed to pick up their margaritas to go indefinitely after Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis signed a bill Thursday to make the once-temporary pandemic measure of carry-out alcohol orders a permanent option for the state’s restaurants.

Early on in the pandemic, DeSantis waived state regulations through an emergency order to allow restaurants to sell alcohol in take-away containers, initially a temporary measure intended to help eateries recoup losses during the pandemic.

Ordering take-away alcohol proved so popular with customers that some restaurants doubled their sales, DeSantis said, pushing state lawmakers to make the setup permanent.

Florida isn’t the first state to make the switch to permanently allow carry-out alcohol from restaurants. The governors of 10 other states have signed such bills into law: Texas, Arkansas, Wisconsin, Montana, West Virginia, Kentucky, Ohio, Iowa, Oklahoma and Georgia, along with Washington, D.C. Similar legislation is making its way through other state houses across the country, including New York and California.

"Vodka soda with a lid and a straw, please."

When I was a kid the local liquor store had a drive-thru window and they would serve you a cocktail ready to drink. My dad was a frequent customer.

That ended after MADD became a thing.

BTW, when self driving cars take over in the future decades from now their Cowboy and Indian stories are going to be poking fun at the barbarians of the 20th and earliest 21st centuries driving drunk everywhere and shooting things right when they arrive (if they arrive)

Can’t people just make them at home or at a friend’s house?
That's not the issue. The profit margins on booze are pretty big. This is an attempt to help struggling businesses generate some easy money. It's also allows states to continue to sell liquor licenses. If they can't legally sell it, why would a restaurant pay for permission to do so?

Citie$, $tate$ and municipalitie$ can $mell an opportunity in the making here with all the road$ide breathalyzer te$t$......

When I was a kid the local liquor store had a drive-thru window and they would serve you a cocktail ready to drink. My dad was a frequent customer.

Jax in Tallahassee did this when I was in school. Almost caused me to start an organization to fight MADD. It was going to be SOMADD. Sons Opposing Mothers Against Drunk Driving

Jax in Tallahassee did this when I was in school. Almost caused me to start an organization to fight MADD. It was going to be SOMADD. Sons Opposing Mothers Against Drunk Driving

We called it, "DDAMM"

Drunk Drivers Against Mad Mothers.

The first time I saw this in Louisiana, back in the day, it was amazing. A couple of times we walked down the street from our lodging to pick up Margaritas. One time we walked next door and picked up Whataburgers, ate and drank at the picnic tables for a cheap night out... Lafayette, Louisiana people watching is awesome.
Cool story, I know.

Yep. I once forgot that other states didn’t allow that and got pulled over in OK, not realizing that my cup holder with a bottle of Bartles and James was an issue.
If it had been Bartles and Jaymes, you would have been good to go.
Sorry dude, my inner spelling Nazi showed up.

When I was in high school, and I think my first year or two of college, it was still like that at one or two of the local bars in my hometown.

I like to get to-go margs from our favorite Mexican joint. They are very difficult to re-create at home and it saves me from having to buy a $40 bottle of Patron and a $25 bottle of Grand Gala, not to mention the rest of the ingredients.

Floridians will be allowed to pick up their margaritas to go indefinitely after Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis signed a bill Thursday to make the once-temporary pandemic measure of carry-out alcohol orders a permanent option for the state’s restaurants.

Early on in the pandemic, DeSantis waived state regulations through an emergency order to allow restaurants to sell alcohol in take-away containers, initially a temporary measure intended to help eateries recoup losses during the pandemic.

Ordering take-away alcohol proved so popular with customers that some restaurants doubled their sales, DeSantis said, pushing state lawmakers to make the setup permanent.

Florida isn’t the first state to make the switch to permanently allow carry-out alcohol from restaurants. The governors of 10 other states have signed such bills into law: Texas, Arkansas, Wisconsin, Montana, West Virginia, Kentucky, Ohio, Iowa, Oklahoma and Georgia, along with Washington, D.C. Similar legislation is making its way through other state houses across the country, including New York and California.

I don’t get it. I do get ordering food that you can’t make at home. But beer, wine, and booze are beer, wine, and booze. Why pay a 200% to 300% markup, unless I suppose you are traveling and you want it at your hotel?

Reactions: BelemNole
I like to get to-go margs from our favorite Mexican joint. They are very difficult to re-create at home and it saves me from having to buy a $40 bottle of Patron and a $25 bottle of Grand Gala, not to mention the rest of the ingredients.
Something tells me the to go margs aren’t getting actual patron

Reactions: BelemNole
I don’t get it. I do get ordering food that you can’t make at home. But beer, wine, and booze are beer, wine, and booze. Why pay a 200% to 300% markup, unless I suppose you are traveling and you want it at your hotel?

Maybe you have teens in the house and don't want a liquor cabinet full of booze?

Reactions: haw-key
Margaritas and daiquiri type drinks. Sometimes I just want one or two margaritas in the morning with my breakfast tacos and not whip up a whole pitcher :)

Reactions: Tenacious E

Homemade margaritas with this are much much better, and a lot less expensive long term:

I missed this first time around. But yes it is an awesome new benefit/thing I had not really thought of doing.

We have a Cuban place here I like mile from my house called Gordo's that has a 10 dollar drink called the Gordo's Smash. A whole bunch of different rums and grenadine and very good. Just made an order for myself and the girlfriend for two food items and four smashes. Life is great.

Reactions: The Tradition
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT